Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My experiment so far:

5/17 154.6 1720
5/18 155.8 1661
5/19 DNW 2135
5/20 DNW 2433
5/21 DNW 1604
5/22 155.8 1695
5/23 156.0 1689
5/24 154.8

The days I didn't weigh, I was in Portland, and not in complete control of my food choices. I tried to log everything anyway, but had to estimate. I could have been a little lower or much higher calories. There are also two plane trips in there, so I'm amazed!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My experiment so far:

5/17 154.6 1720
5/18 155.8 1661
5/19 DNW 2135
5/20 DNW 2433
5/21 DNW 1604
5/22 155.8 1695
5/23 156.0 1689
5/24 154.8

The days I didn't weigh, I was in Portland, and not in complete control of my food choices. I tried to log everything anyway, but had to estimate. I could have been a little lower or much higher calories. There are also two plane trips in there, so I'm amazed!
Wow that is great!

I've been having some sleep problems on my nights after DDs and the sleepwalk eating is creeping back in on an occassion from what I can tell. We still aren't keeping a bunch of junk in the house, but I may have to raise DDs in the form of eating a bigger bedtime snack to see if 1) I sleep better and 2) to see if the sleepwalk eating will mostly stop again. I'm going to give it about 2 more weeks with my regular 5:2 plan and see if this is just a blip on the radar or if I need higher DDs.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maddiemod
Stats: 154/137/110 5'2"
WOE: JUDDD/BEAD
Start Date: July 2012
Carly, Have you ever tried honey for sleep? After I saw a thread that Pirate Jenny started about the Hibernation Diet, I've been having about heaping teaspoon of honey before bed and I've never had better sleep. I know your sleep/eating is a bigger deal that just some insomnia, but I thought if you hadn't tried the honey, it might help.
maddiemod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #34

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Dawn, you're doing great on this new plan. It's obviously working for you. Isn't that a relief to know you've got all kinds of options? You'll have to let us know how it affects your hands over time.

Carly, it occurred to me after reading somewhere else that you had added back drinking coffee on DDs (I think) now that you're in maintenance. Do you think that may be affecting your sleep/sleepwalk eating? Just a thought.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
I've been feeling a little burned out on fasting, so I've been looking at other options for maintenance. I've decided to try "In Place of a Roadmap" which is basically figuring out your BMR and TDEE and staying somewhere between the two. I figured mine to be 1721 calories per day, so I'm going to try that for a couple of weeks and see how it works
I your decision and know you will find the "right fit" for you! I am so interested in this "In Place of a Roadmap" but can't seem to find any info on it besides other message boards.

Can you give us a link or info, it sounds a good way to do maintenance!

Glad you will be still "hanging out"! You would be sorely missed by all of us!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #36

Carly, I also wonder about the coffee. Maybe you could do a week or two with what you were doing before maintenance and see if that has any affect.

Linda, I can't link because all the information I've found is on my calorie counting site, and it's one that I can't reference. If you can figure out where I count my calories (when you Google "In Place of a Road Map" it's the first link that comes up), feel free to friend me there (Keiras_Mom) and I posted a link to the road map on my page. There's also a FaceBook page for it, but I haven't had a chance to check it out, so I'm not sure if it's identical, but I would think so.

I haven't done any structured exercise this past week, ate a little over my calories a couple of days, and still have maintained well, so it's looking really good. We need a fingers-crossed smilie!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 05-24-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Dawn, so many people are interested in your new WOE, would it be inappropriate to post your stats here so that people can understand? (The BMR, TDEE, bodyfat calculations etc. and how they were done using the calculators that Dan (?) recommends or Heybale's spreadsheet. or however you did it.)

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-24-2013 at 09:04 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

Carly, it occurred to me after reading somewhere else that you had added back drinking coffee on DDs (I think) now that you're in maintenance. Do you think that may be affecting your sleep/sleepwalk eating? Just a thought.
I think I was consuming basically the same amount of caffiene since I was drinking loads of tea during WLM. I was actually drinking tea later into the day than I typically drink coffee so sadly I'm not sure that it's the coffee. It may have more to do with more day light than anything else. I'm very much effected by the increase/ decrease in day light during season change (spring/ fall). But, on the nights I wake up. I'm actually hungry so I think that can't help decrease the sleepwalk eating if I'm actually really hungry. I'm not sure.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #39

I'll try to condense it as much as possible.

Basically, the idea is to get your metabolism functioning well by eating as much as you can, while still losing fat.

First off you have to calculate your body fat percentage. Here's some guidelines:

Athletes (6-13% for men, 16-20% for women)
Fitness (14-17% for men, 21-24% for women)
Acceptable (18-25% for men, 25-31% for women)
Obese (25%+ for men, 32%+ for women)

He gives a link to calculate your body fat over a few different formulas, then average them to get a more realistic number. You need a measuring tape, as each set of calculations relies on measurements from different parts of the body. These are at fat2fitradio in the tools section. (I'm not linking, so I think that's okay to put.)

At the same site, you'll figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). This is what your body would burn if you were in a coma. You never want to go below this number. (Fasting is a whole other animal, so take that with a grain of salt--I'm choosing to follow the road map, so I won't be going below my BMR during my trial).

Then you figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is how many calories you burn per day, including normal daily activities and exercise. Once you figure your TDEE, since it includes exercise, you don't eat back your exercise calories, as they're already accounted for.

When calculating your BMR, he advocates using your current weight as both the "current" and the "goal" weight. It then gives you a page with your BMR using a couple of different formulas (Harris-Benedict and Katch-McArdle). There's also a breakdown of how many calories you should eat, based on your activity level. I am using the "Lightly Active" number, as I'm not totally sedentary.

If you want to lose weight, you'd go by your TDEE minus a percentage. Many people use TDEE - 20% and it's not recommended to go lower than that unless you're obese. I'm using TDEE - 15% since I'm at goal, and just want to try to get a little leaner.

He gives a TON more information and science than I'm giving here.

So here are my numbers:

Activity Level TDEE
Sedentary 1768
Lightly Active 2025
Moderately Active 2283
Very Active 2541
Extremely Active 2799

So I chose the Lightly Active number and subtracted 15%. That gives me 1721 calories per day. My BMR with the two different formulas is 1473 and 1499, so I'm not going under 1500. Technically, if I want to maintain, I can go up to 2025 per day. I just calculated my calories over the last 7 days, and have averaged 1848 per day, and I was pretty sedentary. I haven't been exercising since I was out of town, but did do some light walking here and there.

I have to say, I fully expected a huge gain when I returned from Oregon, like I had when I returned from Las Vegas last month. Between flying, stress, lack of sleep, not the best hydration, I'm amazed to be maintaining this well.

I am a total believer in JUDDD, and other forms of fasting. I may or may not return to it at some point, but I'm interested in this for now, and it seems to have some merit. I'll be really interested to see what happens when I'm able to get back to the gym. I wouldn't mind staying the same weight, but replacing some fat with muscle.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

It sounds great. I hope you keep us posted!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Thank you for posting those details, Dawn. It's interesting to see an example.

It looks like you're well-placed to go for body recomposition (muscle to replace body fat). I need to re-think my short to medium-term goals and, as ever, it's so helpful to see what others are doing.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Very, very interesting, Dawn! Thank you so much for taking the time to share the details. No doubt you are swamped trying to catch up from being out of town. You are a great inspiration!!!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
That is so interesting! Thanks for the info, Dawn.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #44

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Just found thus Dawn, I thought you'd been quiet, but put it down to your father's heart attack.

This sounds really interesting and I will follow your progress with great interest.

As for leaving the JUDDD forum, don't you dare! We all you and you're wonderful posts.

You are our friend.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #45

Quote:
My experiment so far:

5/17 154.6 1720
5/18 155.8 1661
5/19 DNW 2135
5/20 DNW 2433
5/21 DNW 1604
5/22 155.8 1695
5/23 156.0 1689
5/24 154.8

I had a bit of a bump up this week. The last few days I've been at 157.0, 157.2, and 157.2. I have not done any exercise, and I'm still eating at TDEE - 15% based on 3 days of exercise, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm going to try to get back to the gym this week. They closed early yesterday because of the holiday, and there are no classes I want to take today, so I'll either go for a bit on the machines tonight, or wait until Zumba tomorrow. Technically, I'm eating right around maintenance calories with no exercise factored in. It's a good indicator that I may need to go slightly lower to maintain due to my thyroid. It's all a learning experience.

ETA: I got some CLA yesterday and am trying that as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
You'll have to let me know what you think of the CLA. I've been on it about 9 days now but its hard to know if its helped because I had some other issues that would have masked any CLA-induced progress. I'm hoping to restock my supply today or tomorrow as I have not had any side effects so I'm willing to stick with it.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #47

Gallery: jiggles
I came across this post a couple of weeks ago and have been reading up on this roadmap thing ever since. I'm finding it very interesting since it seems to focus on strength training rather than cardio for fat loss. I loathe cardio. I don't mind some walking but dread any high intense cardio. I like using weights though.

I would like to try this but am working on getting my head straight first. If I'm not in the right mind set I know I won't be able to stick to it. Especially since it requires daily calorie counting. That's a part that I really struggle with. It always seems so tedious but if I want to lose this weight (fat) then I have to suck it up I guess. But I like the concept of calculating your TDEE and eating a % below that. Seems like people get more calories than a standard 1200 a day plan.

KeirasMom, have you come across many people who have lost like 30 lbs. or more? Seems like most people I've read about are almost at goal or are just looking to increase muscle. I'd like to know how this works for people who have more weight to lose.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I came across this post a couple of weeks ago and have been reading up on this roadmap thing ever since. I'm finding it very interesting since it seems to focus on strength training rather than cardio for fat loss. I loathe cardio. I don't mind some walking but dread any high intense cardio. I like using weights though.

I would like to try this but am working on getting my head straight first. If I'm not in the right mind set I know I won't be able to stick to it. Especially since it requires daily calorie counting. That's a part that I really struggle with. It always seems so tedious but if I want to lose this weight (fat) then I have to suck it up I guess. But I like the concept of calculating your TDEE and eating a % below that. Seems like people get more calories than a standard 1200 a day plan.

KeirasMom, have you come across many people who have lost like 30 lbs. or more? Seems like most people I've read about are almost at goal or are just looking to increase muscle. I'd like to know how this works for people who have more weight to lose.
I didn't really look into it until I was already maintaining, so I haven't searched too much on the benefits for significant weight loss. However, the reason I decided to try it at all is because there were so MANY posts on the calorie counting site I belong to, about how people started losing better after INCREASING their calories from the standard 1200/daily by using the road map. That leads me to believe it's pretty effective.

I had some crazy life events come up the last couple of weeks, so my experiment is not happening under the most ideal conditions. I really really really need to make it back to the gym and start some strength training this week. I'm one who enjoys "fun" cardio (Zumba, for instance) but I get quite bored just doing the treadmill. I'm also a bit intimidated by free weights, and even by the circuit machines. Time to step it up. The waist is looking dreadful!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #49

Gallery: jiggles
I did notice a lot of people saying that they lost weight after increasing their calories which really piqued my interest and after reading more it started to make sense to me.

I have a feeling it's not as quick of a weight loss plan as some others but at this point I need to stop looking for the quick fix anyway and start focusing on long term goals. It's nice to have that initial quick loss to stay motivated but since this is supposed to focus more on fat loss rather than weight I can see why it would be slower.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote