Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hydrogirl
Stats: 200/141/130
WOE: -40 lbs Low Carb/-20 lbsHCG/ 0 lbs JUDDD
Start Date: June 2009
Newbie with Questions - Headaches on DD & Desire to Binge on UD

Hi Everyone,

I've been on JUDDD for about 3 weeks now. I've been lurking around the threads reading and taking in information, but this is my first time posting. I'm having a hard time with severe headaches on DDs and the desire to binge on UDs. I've been low carb since 2009, mostly paleo/primal style eating and very clean - no processed foods. I workout about 5 days a week, although I've been taking it easy the past few months due to an injury. Overall I've lost close to 60 lbs, but have spent the last few years gaining and losing the same 20 lbs. Now I have 15 lbs to go for my goal weight. I was hoping this would be easier since I've been at this for so long and have tried intermittent fasting before.

I can usually get through a DD (390 cals) by drinking a lot of water and hot tea but I develop a bad headache in the middle of the day and have to leave work and go to bed early. I typically split may calories into two meals on a DD and don't eat the 1st until about 1:00 pm and then have dinner about 6:30 pm. On UDs I try to stay within my UD calories (1950 cals) but at night I go nuts and want to eat everything. I've dealt with this in the past, but was usually able to overcome it. Now I seem to have lost my willpower and self-control. Although the scale has me at a net 0 for weight loss/gain over the past few weeks (I may actually be down 0.6 lbs) I don't feel like I'm losing weight; I actually feel like I'm gaining. I'm 5'6, 145 lbs, 36 yrs old and trying to stay at 20-25% of calories. I'm going to switch up my schedule next week and do DDs - Sun, Tue, Thurs; UDs - Mon, Wed, Sat with an MD on Friday.

I haven't tried the Resveratrol, is it worth it? Would it help?

Any suggestions, words of wisdom, smack upside the head everytime I think about candy??

Thanks!
hydrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hydrogirl,
First - welcome!
Second - I'm assuming you're sticking to your clean/paleo/primal WOE while JUDDDing? My first thought was that if you abandoned your clean WOE maybe you're having a reaction to the carbs?
Most JUDDDers have found that the DDs get easier after a week or 2 when the SIRTs start flowing. However there are some JBs who have to raise their DD calories, and accept that losses might slow, because they just can't function on the lower DD calories. That might help?
I guess my first big question is still what are you eating? Its true that JUDDD doesn't care where the calories come from but you may find that your body cares.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Yennie!! I was hoping you'd reply.

You bring up a very good point. I've still been pretty clean. I'm gluten and lactose intolerant, so I have to be pretty careful when I do splurge. I usually allow myself a few non-paleo treats on 1 UD per week (chocolate or popcorn, maybe a few fries) but I'm still pretty clean the rest of time. I was enjoying the idea that I could 'eat anything' as long as it was within my calories, but that may be the issue. I add sugar, the cravings start, once I start I can't stop thinking about it, which then leads me to overdue 'healthier' foods.

Most of my over eating is through fat - nuts, nut butter, non-paleo mayo - and fruit. I also love protein, and will overeat that given the chance. (I was having dinner with a friend a few weeks ago, we were looking at the desert menu - she wanted chocolate and I wanted a ribeye - so odd) I tend to eat the same exact menu everyday - I'm single, hate to plan meals and like to just 'know' what I need when I go to the store. Honestly, it doesn't bother me and when I get sick of it, I'll change it up, but that's only about every 6 months or so.

Maybe I just need to stop all sugar again, let the cravings stop, and hope the weight loss continues. If my leg ever heals, maybe I can start really exercising again. I know part of my desire for food has been from depression due to lack of exercise more than anything.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, man, I hear you on the nuts. I get those 3# bags of almonds & pecans from Costco - I could seriously put down one of those bags in a few days if given the chance. And I'm one that could sit & eat a jar of nut butter, any nut butter, with a spoon. I have since I was a kid. Its bad. I'd rather have a handful of pecans than M&Ms!
I think identifying trigger foods is really important. And I keep having to remind myself too that just because JUDDD doesn't care where the calories come from, my body does! I'm definitely not clean/primal/paleo but I try to lean more & more that way, heading towards about 70% PHD type eating. I won't give up meat but we raise all our own so I know its clean. This year's garden is going and I'm hoping to learn to can this year to preserve as much as we can for winter. I try to stay away from processed stuff as much as possible but I'll admit I sometimes eat garbage, but try to limit it. Mostly because it either 1) leads to a binge or 2) makes me feel like crap after. I'd say one of the biggest WINS for me since starting JUDDD/PHD/Potato hacks is the ability to look at a "yummy" food item and say, "Self, if you eat this, you will feel like **** in an hour. Is a few bites now worth feeling like **** all night long? Then put down the fork & walk away." And then actually following through!
You didn't mention what is wrong with your leg, and you certainly don't have to get into specifics if you're not comfortable but I wonder if there is an alternate form of exercise. Believe me, I get how you can get bummed just from that alone. Swimming, biking, yoga? Even going for a walk if you can't run? Anything to get the juices flowing. Gardening even?
Sorry if it seemed like I made this about me - I didn't mean to I just work better using examples and I'm my own best example because I know me best. I definitely think getting those last 15# off is important but I'm also coming to feel that our mental health as we get there is just as, if not more important.
Stick around & post often. We have a great group here and I'm sure you'll get more feedback as the other half of the world starts to wake up.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
I've been on JUDDD for about 3 weeks now...I'm having a hard time with severe headaches on DDs and the desire to binge on UDs. I've been low carb since 2009, mostly paleo/primal style eating...

I can usually get through a DD (390 cals) by drinking a lot of water and hot tea but I develop a bad headache in the middle of the day and have to leave work and go to bed early. ...I'm 5'6, 145 lbs, 36 yrs old and trying to stay at 20-25% of calories. I'm going to switch up my schedule next week and do DDs - Sun, Tue, Thurs; UDs - Mon, Wed, Sat with an MD on Friday.

I haven't tried the Resveratrol, is it worth it? Would it help?
The headaches sound wretched and disruptive.

Did you do a 2 week induction with your calories at 500 or jump in at 390kcals? I'm wondering if shifting to a higher DD (at least for a 2 week expt.) would be worth it for you to see if that helps your headaches.

If you eat earlier in the day, is that unpleasant for you? Again, just wondering if a little lift from a morning meal might stall the headache or reduce it to something manageable.

Yennie is (as ever) spot-on with her comments. Monica (zip2play) has always adopted higher DD counts for sound reasons and still loses. Several JUDDDers with blood sugar or other issues find that they need a higher DD.

As you know from the Resveratrol thread, some people obtain excellent results from it. Some experienced JUDDDers like Cindy have commented that, from their observation, it seems that people derive the greatest benefit from it if they already have their SIRT1s flowing, and that contributes to people's mileage varying. (I developed headaches for the first 2 weeks when I took it which recently diminished but I still haven't increased the dosage so I can't report anything.)
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Since I tend to have headaches I do not wait to eat. I eat breakfast every day and have no headaches due to low calories. Maybe the waiting until afternoon is causing the headaches. I have tried the "waiting " to eat until late and for me it is not the best way. I can do it but I am miserable whereas eating breakfast makes me happy on DD's. Just a thought.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Apologies, I'm in a post-migraine stupidity phase, I meant the pterostilbene thread. Some people experience appetite-suppression from pterostilbene (and that's what I'm taking although maybe on too low a dosage).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I put your numbers in the calculator and got 1712/347 , I think. Maybe you had the wrong numbers since you said something in your post about 1900. You are actually a healthy weight for your height so you may really have to fight to lose another 15 pounds, but if you want to, I think really bringing your DDs low will help. I had headaches in the beginning but it passed after a while. I think I had headaches for the first month.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Oh, man, I hear you on the nuts. I get those 3# bags of almonds & pecans from Costco - I could seriously put down one of those bags in a few days if given the chance. And I'm one that could sit & eat a jar of nut butter, any nut butter, with a spoon. I have since I was a kid. Its bad. I'd rather have a handful of pecans than M&Ms!
I think identifying trigger foods is really important. And I keep having to remind myself too that just because JUDDD doesn't care where the calories come from, my body does! I'm definitely not clean/primal/paleo but I try to lean more & more that way, heading towards about 70% PHD type eating. I won't give up meat but we raise all our own so I know its clean. This year's garden is going and I'm hoping to learn to can this year to preserve as much as we can for winter. I try to stay away from processed stuff as much as possible but I'll admit I sometimes eat garbage, but try to limit it. Mostly because it either 1) leads to a binge or 2) makes me feel like crap after. I'd say one of the biggest WINS for me since starting JUDDD/PHD/Potato hacks is the ability to look at a "yummy" food item and say, "Self, if you eat this, you will feel like **** in an hour. Is a few bites now worth feeling like **** all night long? Then put down the fork & walk away." And then actually following through!
You didn't mention what is wrong with your leg, and you certainly don't have to get into specifics if you're not comfortable but I wonder if there is an alternate form of exercise. Believe me, I get how you can get bummed just from that alone. Swimming, biking, yoga? Even going for a walk if you can't run? Anything to get the juices flowing. Gardening even?
Sorry if it seemed like I made this about me - I didn't mean to I just work better using examples and I'm my own best example because I know me best. I definitely think getting those last 15# off is important but I'm also coming to feel that our mental health as we get there is just as, if not more important.
Stick around & post often. We have a great group here and I'm sure you'll get more feedback as the other half of the world starts to wake up.
Great info, as usual! And I LOVE your new avatar! WTG!!!!!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I had headaches too in the beginning. I can't remember how long they lasted. I think it's fairly common though. I also took a very long time to lower my DD calories, which has slowed my losses quite a bit, but at only 3 wks you could still raise yours a little with no problems. Maybe the lower numbers that Carly worked out for you will make UDs easier.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
hydrogirl

I agree with girls here, try upping your DD calories. You can always go down later on. I hear you on the nuts- they are my trigger food for sure!
Maybe try ditching the sugar to diminish the cravings. Low carb always helps me to be in control.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I really appreciate it!

Today I had a DD and up'd my calories as suggested and No headache!!!! Pretty excited about that. I also ate about an hour earlier than usual. I try to eat later in the day because once I do eat something I tend to be hungry the rest of the day. I could try a morning, evening plan and see how that goes.

I'm going to move forward with the numbers Carly suggested. Thank you! I know I was putting in light exercise, which seems to change the UD calories quite a bit. I'll try to keep my DD calories up at least for another week and see how it goes. I just started with the 350 this week and apparently my body wasn't ready for it yet.

Looking forward to next week!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome! Glad that worked for you. Onward & downward as we say.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have the same problem on DDs. I have been taking ibuprofen around the clock on down days - it helps lessen the headache significantly. I literally schedule out my doses every 6 hrs so that I'm not taking the med after the fact of the headache getting really severe.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellybelle
Stats: 180/150/145
WOE: mod carbs
Start Date: June 2007
Do you have any caffeinated drinks on UDs that you don't have on DDs?

(I haven't introduced myself yet but I've been JUDDGing for about 2 weeks.)

Ellyn
ellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote