Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
That is too cute! Don't you dare drill a hole in his new friend! Has he named it?

I too love the very slight coconutty smell when I use it on my skin. I also use it as a hot oil treatment on my hair, and even use the tiniest bit scrunched into the ends of my hair when they're looking/feeling dry. Such a versatile product!
How do you prepare/ use it for hair treatment. My poor hair needs help! It's dry and breaking.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I take probably around a teaspoon at a time and rub between my hands and scrunch it into the ends first. Now that it's warm, it's a little harder to handle in the liquid state. In the winter it melts into my hands - right now it just drips everywhere, so I do this standing in the shower. I keep doing that up the length of my hair (it's about bra strap length) so it takes a bit. I get it all nicely coated, but not soaking wet. It should just look like greasy hair - maybe a little more on the ends. Then I wrap it in a bun on top of my head or at the nape of my neck and wrap my whole head in a terry hair wrap (one of those turban things you see on TV sometimes). I leave it on all night, and then I wash it out in the morning with conditioner*.

I usually don't actually heat it up - I figure the heat from my head all night does the trick, and info on the web bears this out.

*I actually quit using shampoo maybe a year or so ago. I just use conditioner to wash. Yes, it really does work and my hair feels very soft and clean. It takes some getting used to (I love lather!) but my hair is MUCH less greasy and in better condition than ever. I only have to wash a couple of times a week, which would have been unthinkable before when I was shampooing. One skipped day and I was greasy and a mess. On non-washing days I just spritz on enough water to reactivate the curl, scrunch a little oil or gel into the ends, and I'm good to go!

Bet that's way more info than you wanted!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 05-18-2013 at 09:11 AM..
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
LCG, do you use a special conditioner, like a no-paraban no-sulfate no-silicone type? I did a coconut oil deep conditioning the other day, and on someone's recommendation I used just conditioner to get it clean and it didn't feel like it all came out no matter how long I spent rinsing it.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I take probably around a teaspoon at a time and rub between my hands and scrunch it into the ends first. Now that it's warm, it's a little harder to handle in the liquid state. In the winter it melts into my hands - right now it just drips everywhere, so I do this standing in the shower. I keep doing that up the length of my hair (it's about bra strap length) so it takes a bit. I get it all nicely coated, but not soaking wet. It should just look like greasy hair - maybe a little more on the ends. Then I wrap it in a bun on top of my head or at the nape of my neck and wrap my whole head in a terry hair wrap (one of those turban things you see on TV sometimes). I leave it on all night, and then I wash it out in the morning with conditioner*.

I usually don't actually heat it up - I figure the heat from my head all night does the trick, and info on the web bears this out.

*I actually quit using shampoo maybe a year or so ago. I just use conditioner to wash. Yes, it really does work and my hair feels very soft and clean. It takes some getting used to (I love lather!) but my hair is MUCH less greasy and in better condition than ever. I only have to wash a couple of times a week, which would have been unthinkable before when I was shampooing. One skipped day and I was greasy and a mess. On non-washing days I just spritz on enough water to reactivate the curl, scrunch a little oil or gel into the ends, and I'm good to go!

Bet that's way more info than you wanted!
No, that was awesome! I'm scared about not using shampoo, but I wash and condition 2x EVERY day! Hair dresser says this is very bad. I have a touch of OCD and can't seem to help myself. I've been doing this for 20 years! I could try just conditioner one of the times and maybe convince myself over time to give up the shampoo. I will try the CO tonight.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
LCG, do you use a special conditioner, like a no-paraban no-sulfate no-silicone type? I did a coconut oil deep conditioning the other day, and on someone's recommendation I used just conditioner to get it clean and it didn't feel like it all came out no matter how long I spent rinsing it.
No, I haven't taken it to that level (yet). Not on purpose anyway, as I'm not sure what's in the conditioner I use! I just get huge bottles of whatever looks good at the store, but I make sure they're really thick and creamy, not like crème rinse consistency. I use Aussie pretty regularly when it's on sale. Also Kroger's store brand of Treseme, or actual Treseme when it's on sale. To get it really clean with conditioner, I don't wet it first. Make sure and massage it well into your roots, and leave it in for a few minutes. Fat dissolves fat, so the conditioner should, when massaged in well (but gently!) get it out. Squeeze more than rub to not damage the hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
No, that was awesome! I'm scared about not using shampoo, but I wash and condition 2x EVERY day! Hair dresser says this is very bad. I have a touch of OCD and can't seem to help myself. I've been doing this for 20 years! I could try just conditioner one of the times and maybe convince myself over time to give up the shampoo. I will try the CO tonight.
Oh good, I was afraid I went off on a ramble after I typed it! I was scared too at first. I started using Wen, but it's so expensive and I couldn't get past the no lather feeling. Then I read "Curly Girl" which is about caring for curly hair, and it stressed how bad shampoo is for curly hair. So I tried again with just plain conditioner. Success! But it does take some getting used to, and it's hard to get past the feeling (in your head) that conditioner can't possibly get you clean. But it does! Good luck! I'm sure you'll love the CO treatment.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
Got my coconut oil at Trader Joe's yesterday and ready to play with it. For my hair, should it be wet or dry? For my coffee, how much?
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
No, I haven't taken it to that level (yet). Not on purpose anyway, as I'm not sure what's in the conditioner I use! I just get huge bottles of whatever looks good at the store, but I make sure they're really thick and creamy, not like crème rinse consistency. I use Aussie pretty regularly when it's on sale. Also Kroger's store brand of Treseme, or actual Treseme when it's on sale. To get it really clean with conditioner, I don't wet it first. Make sure and massage it well into your roots, and leave it in for a few minutes. Fat dissolves fat, so the conditioner should, when massaged in well (but gently!) get it out. Squeeze more than rub to not damage the hair
Ty for this! You're making me want to try the no shampoo thing. I worry because my roots get really greasy really easily, especially in the summer. Did it take a while before that went away for you? I fear going in to work and people thinking my hair is wet all day long lol.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I ordered mine from PP, it was buy one get 2 free and now it has free shipping too. It is in a green jar and is extra virgin too. Am i allowed to name this company???

I use it in my coffee, oatmeal, but do not like my eggs fried in it!!!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles4me View Post
Got my coconut oil at Trader Joe's yesterday and ready to play with it. For my hair, should it be wet or dry? For my coffee, how much?
I put it on dry hair. I would guess it could soak into the cuticle better that way, but I'm no expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Ty for this! You're making me want to try the no shampoo thing. I worry because my roots get really greasy really easily, especially in the summer. Did it take a while before that went away for you? I fear going in to work and people thinking my hair is wet all day long lol.
It took a little time, yes, but I don't think it ever looked truly greasy. Maybe just a little flatter than usual, but that isn't the case anymore either. At first I did it every other day, and it was just fine. Now I'm up to every 3rd or 4th day. Sometimes the roots are getting just a tad bit greasy, but sometimes they are fresh as the first day. It's the ends that start feeling dry and a little tangly (curly hair!) and so that's when I do my next treatment. And just for the record, I have always had oily hair and greasy roots, and this has been a miracle to me. Maybe you could give it a try when you have a little time off to see how it works for you.