Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meziana
Will Low Carbing on JUDDD make u lose weight faster

Hi all!

The title already says it, I was really wondering if low carbing on JUDDD will make you lose weight faster? i have to admit i haven't been juddding for a whole week and went from 130 to 132 lbs. but during this week i watched my calories but still didn't lose weight. so anyway im going to start JUDDD'ing again tomorrow.. my DD's for the last few weeks were hell thats why i stopped.

I also felt like i was stalling on my weight loss i still have 10-15lbs to lose to reach my goal weight, ALSO i'm an apple shape so i carry my weight around my stomach and waiste and it looks very unattractive so 132lbs might not seem much for some of you but it really is for my shape and length.
I have to reach 1700 calories on UD´s and i dont go over 300 on DD's (im 22 years old and 5'5 by the way) So basically what im really asking here is, does it make a difference if i get to my 1700 UD calories by eating less healthy food(breads, and cookies) than if i would just eat'' clean'' and low carb.. because i must admit i never went over my calories but had a cake every other day..

And another thing, i just started taking birth control pills since yesterday.. im so scared i'll gain weight but i have to, i cant have taking a risk and getting pregnant

Last edited by Meziana; 05-15-2013 at 04:58 AM..
Meziana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Hello Meziana. It's been the general experience that people transition to JUDDD from LC, sometimes with the intention of keeping LC, but find, over time, that JUDDD is just fine for them and they don't have a restriction on where they obtain their calories (so, yes, cake is OK if that's what you want for now ).

Others prefer to keep the JUDDD schedule but follow, say, Primal, Paeleo, South Beach etc.

Some people, Adi comes to mind, don't lose much during induction but they lose their weight thereafter. I don't think there is a way of predicting how people will respond.

I don't understand why your DD and UD calories are so low. I'm older than you and mine are more. Did you use the calculator or did you estimate these calories for yourself?

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-15-2013 at 05:21 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for responding SlowSure

I used to be on atkins but i quit 2months ago because i felt very deprived. but im losing kinda slow on JUDDD thats why i wondered if it would make any difference if i would low carb and juddd at the same time

I put 20%weight loss mode on the calculator and little or no excersize, or am i doing that wrong should it be 35% weight loss?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
She's right about her calculated calories, SS. I just checked the calculator (20%).

Mez, it doesn't seem to matter what you eat as long as you count your calories with JUDDD. I have heard some say that they lose better when they don't eat a lot of junk food, but others have no problem. You'll have to see what works for you and how you feel. Good luck and Welcome!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
She's right about her calculated calories, SS. I just checked the calculator (20%).

Mez, it doesn't seem to matter what you eat as long as you count your calories with JUDDD. I have heard some say that they lose better when they don't eat a lot of junk food, but others have no problem. You'll have to see what works for you and how you feel. Good luck and Welcome!
Thankyou Librarygirl

I guess i'll just have to figure that out then, going to try eating more salads and such, maybe low carb or just low glycemic and just see how it works out
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Meziana, I got your calories to 343/1717, so spot on there.

If you've been struggling with DDs, it might help to eat as cleanly as possible on UDs. I think of UDs as an opportunity to nourish my body between DDs.

Having said that, clean doesn't necessarily mean low carb. I don't eat meat, and carbs aren't a problem for me, so they play a big part in my overall nutrition. However, I do find DDs easier if I avoid starchy carbs, and stick to protein and veggies. On UDs, I include good quality carbs as root veggies and wholegrains.

But everyone's different and lots of JBs do low-carb. You have to discover what works for you and your body. Do check out the DD food threads. You don't have to live on eggs and salad!! The JBs are a very creative bunch and many are amazing cooks. There are some yummy DD recipes.

I've found glucomannan has helped me on DDs - either as shirataki noodles or as gluc powder in recipes.

Drinking lots of water is pretty essential on DDs. Lots of JBs find lemon juice in water helpful. A hot drink is a great standby if you're feeling hungry.

Some people have found that pterostilbene helps with both appetite and energy levels. Several JBs have pcos too, so do read around the forum and continue to post your questions.

Most important, JUDDD isn't a fast weight-loss programme. Most of us lose 1-2lbs a week on average. The beauty of JUDDD is that it's sustainable over the long term and can easily be used as maintenance.

I too am an apple shape and the weight has slowly but surely melted off my middle. I don't exercise because I have ME, so am very much a couch potato. My awesome new waist is entirely thanks to the magic of JUDDD.

Hang in there, be patient, keep your rotations as true as possible and use the forum to destruction. There's tons of info and support here.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Meziana, I got your calories to 343/1717, so spot on there.

If you've been struggling with DDs, it might help to eat as cleanly as possible on UDs. I think of UDs as an opportunity to nourish my body between DDs.
I agree with the 343/1717 - it's just that, to me, an extra 43kcals on a DD is quite a lot, particularly if someone is struggling with them. It's a couple of mugs of broth, or plenty of vegetables with some Shirataki noodles.

Of course, in non-JUDDDland, I agree that 43kcals is neither here nor there.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Most of the successful JUDDDers go lower than 300 on DDs. I haven't been able to do it yet. Probably will soon though.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
You're both right!

Cindy, it should be ok to go lower than 300 on a DD, if it's comfortable.
SlowSure, 43 covers my crucial English cuppas allocation for a DD day!

Meziana, if you want to try SlowSure's suggestion, it might help you to know that I've only managed about three DDs under 300 since I started in September - and one of those was 299!

Last edited by Flossyliz; 05-15-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hi Meziana,
You've got some good answers already so I'm not sure how much I can add except to re-emphasize:
JUDDD doesn't care about what you eat, just the calories. However, your body might care about what you eat. Some people find their DDs are easier when they eat nourishing food on their UDs, instead of junk. Having said that, I've eaten my share of "junk" UDs and just powered through the following DD as my "penance".
Many of our JBs do low or lower carb JUDDD because they feel better on low carb, or because they know carbs trigger the binge monster.
I'm not sure that strict LC JUDDD would necessarily make you lose faster than regular JUDDD, but I also think it would depend on your individual metabolism.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I feel better when I stay low to moderate carb. I stay away from wheat altogether.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Patience is the key. I did not start losing until after the first few weeks. And I lost slowly but I enjoyed a lot of foods I had not been eating for a LONG time.

My reason for trying JUDDD was so I did not have to follow a low carb lifestyle any longer.
I lost weight 10 years ago eating LC LF and I have noticed that I have been eating lower fat since entering maintenance. But not LC. I get plenty of fat in my eggs and cream in my coffee but I am eating LF cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt just to save calories. I do not eat salads due to not liking anything but fullfat salad dressings so I just don't go there.

I am also a believer in very low calorie DD's. Those DD's helped me compensate for my tendency to go over on my UD's. This method kept me losing although slowly but it did work.

I would recommend patience and eating a normal balanced diet heavy on natural and very light on processed. I am looking forward to doing better with my vegetable consumption now that my garden is srtarting to produce. I know I tend to not eat a lot of them during the winter.

And all of that said, I am in maintenance and have still been losing by doing potato DD's at around 600 calories. I like being able to eat more yet not have to worry about regaining anything. Although I try to stay wheat free I just cannot pass up the carrot cake if it appears in the breakroom. OTherwise the only grain I eat is oat bran.

So how you appraoch JUDDD is entirely up to the individual. Because in the end I stilll believe it is all about calories.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
I did 3 weeks of JUDDD, only counting calories, but my blood sugar started climbing, so I started watching carbs too...and bailed after about 10 days...I think i gained back the 10 lbs i lost last month in a week and a half.

If I just did lean-meat-and-veg, I could probably do lo-carb/juddd...but i just don't have the energy right now. So my answer is, going lo carb DIDN'T make me lose faster! Just the opposite...
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I lost pretty quickly and I wasn't low carb after my first month. You are a healthy weight for your height so these pounds will likely take some time and diligence. I did DD of 150 when I was in weight loss mode. Now I just have 2 DDs a week each are 300.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I had lost well on not at all low carb JUDDD, and then I started getting concerned with my blood sugar levels so reduced my carbs for that reason. I didn't go Atkins low, but moderate ... much lower than I had been. I was looking forward to losing faster, but I didn't speed up one bit. DDs, on the other hand, are are always low carb just because that's what helps me feel more satisfied on fewer calories.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Short answer: JUDDDing with low carb has resulted in a slower loss for me...but, it has been a happier, more sustainable situation.

Long story: I have done JUDDD long term two different times. The first time, about 5 years ago I lost 50lbs in about 7ish months. I did JUDDD with a strong focus on calorie counts that time. I didn't try to eat healthy, clean or low carb at all. I white knuckled it through all my DDs and as soon as life got rough (economy tanked, hubby lost job, etc.) I gained all of the weight back.

This second time I have focused more on JUDDDing low carb. I have learned about hunger management and that DDs don't have to be dreaded, so the whole WOE has been more tolerable. My down days are typically 500-600 calories, but very low carb, like Atkins induction level. If a DD has not gone well it might be 700-800 calories, but still very low carb. So, I will eat more if I am extremely hungry, but it will almost always be protein and/or a green veggie. My UDs have typically been low-moderate carb except on the weekend when I often splurge on a little white stuff. Second time around it has taken me 13 months and I have only lost 40lbs. I do have hormone, insulin and thyroid issues that have only gotten worse and not better in those 5 years, also. Also, at least part of it could be the age difference was 37, now 42 and probably peri-menopausal. I have also done some other tweaking to the plan off and on, most recently doing IF/with a window which started out ok, but didn't end well.

So, for me the LC JUDDD way has been slower, but I still prefer it to the first time around. HTH.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I am an "apple" like you and I just generally feel better when I don't eat processed carbs but fine with the "good" carbs. Can I eat pizza on JUDDD? Of course! (heck I would eat it every day if I could) but I lose quicker if I make my own pizza on low carb pita bread. I also find I can eat more if I cut out a lot of carbs and stick to such carbs as allowed on something like South Beach (there are a list of acceptable carbs somewhere on this site). You might have to experiment. If you are losing slowly eating certain foods then cut back on them and see how you do. I love Dr. Johnson's quote from his book, "Life isn't a cruise" since he says on cruises people seem to gain an average of 8 lbs because they just throw caution to the wind and eat everything. On your up days you should still be careful what you eat and not stuff yourself constantly. That's what I tell my self on UDs when I see cake, cookies, and candy in the lounge at work!!

I only have 7 lbs to lose to my goal and I'm having a really hard time losing, such as last week I only lost .2 lbs. I have been gaining up to 3 lbs after an UD and then taking alllll week to lose it. Yesterday on my DD I ate a whole bag of celery (15 calories for 2 celery sticks so I'm sure it added up to over 100 calories). I know that if I ate something carby for 100 calories it would have been GONE in about 10 seconds. This bag took me the whole ride home to eat, about 25 minutes. So it just seems like you get more bang for your buck with 100 calories, or whatever calorie amount you are eating, if you do limit carbs. I'm sure everyone is different but you seem to be like me, close to your goal, and have to tweak your menus to get the losses going! Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by Kismet311; 05-16-2013 at 03:27 AM..
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for responding

i know im a bit late replying i hardly have any time to go online

Im definetily going to try reducing the bad carbs and the sugars and see how that works out for me!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
One of my favorite low-carb, filling meals is using a slice of the coconut Paleo bread from Julian Bakery (40 cals and 1 gram of carbs) a pouch of chunk light tuna (70 cals) and 1T of Hellmans light mayo (I also mix in some jared jalapeno
slices for a kick. It's a decent sized serving and keeps me fairly full for awhile on down days.
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote