Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
Are your UDs 'Healthy'?

I have not been able to get a grip on my UDs and they usually turn out to be a binge-fest I don't know if it is because I've been on a diet and have felt restricted and deprived for so very long that I don't know how to control the flexibility that JUDDD offers or what my problem is. Can anyone relate? Any suggestions on how to control my UD eating? The good news is that the poor choices I've made have not had a negative impact on my weight (there's the silver-lining)
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Mine varies. Sometimes I am very good and then there are the days that I arrive at work to find a carrot cake in the breakroom. I am stilll trying to get my UD's under control even though I am in maintenance I over indulge on UD's and have to keep lower DD's to compensate.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Oh, you're not alone! In the beginning, for me, I was still pretty low carb, so really I just added calorie counting to the mix. Then when I started adding back carby foods, I absolutely felt like a kid in a candy store! I was scared of the carbs though, so I held back for awhile. By the holidays last year, I was eating anything I wanted, and my UDs often centered around treats and sweets!

I think it's a normal, adjustment thing many of us go through. We all of a sudden can have things we didn't for so long, and it takes over a bit. You'll calm down with that and find yourself feeding yourself more healthy foods after awhile. In the meantime, as long as it's not hurting your losses or making you feel bad, enjoy!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlett46
Stats: 179/150/135 5'3" 43yo
WOE: SB/JUDDD
Start Date: SB: 6/2007 JUDDD: 4/2013
My goal is definitely to keep my UDs healthy. I've been having a hard time filling up my UDs at first though, so I feel like I've been eating more junk, just to fill up the calories. I hope that once I get more used to this, I'll settle into an easy variety of healthy foods on both UDs and DDs. I'm a big frozen veggie eater, so as long as I can afford to keep them in the house, I'll keep trying to fill up on them! LOL

**This all said while looking at a piece of cake and a brownie on my desk... waiting for my stomach to settle from the burger and brat that I had for lunch! ROFL**
Scarlett46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
When I first started I went hog wild because having come from LC I wanted to eat all the stuff I couldn't while doing LC. I've settled down quite a bit, likely because I am not restricted and will, in general, be pretty healthy on both DD and UD but I certainly don't turn down the occasional treat if it fits within my cals.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Depends on your definition of "healthy."

My typical UD menu:

B: Everything bagel with cream cheese, coffee
L: Banh Mi (Vietnamese pork sandwich, but it has lots of carrots, cilantro, and daikon)
D: Rotisserie chicken or pork chops or steak and a veggie, some sort of starch about half the time.

Snacks are often fruit, sometimes chocolate, sometimes pastry.

There's often wine after dinner.

Compared to how I was eating when I wasn't dieting, this is extremely healthy. Compared to how I see others eating, not so much.

It works for me, and I feel well eating this way, so I'll continue to do so.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: desertgirl
Stats: 137/104/108 goal met 6/29/03
WOE: Starting JUDDD at 107.8 lbs 5/8/13.
Start Date: Original start date 3/03 - Atkins
I've only just started (one week ago) and I've had two healthy UD's and one unhealthy (Mother's Day).

I feel okay about that - today is an UD and I intend to eat very clean, except for maybe some Quinoa and Black Bean chips (TJs) and salsa. I've been dreaming of those all day.....
desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daisyjane82
WOE: Moderate Carbs/ JUDDD
Start Date: 5/2/2013
I can so relate! I'm still fairly new to JUDDD (Just starting week 3) I've been having the same problem. I had been on a low carb diet for 3 months prior to JUDDD so that first baked potato with cheese, butter, chipotle sauce and all the fixings...I felt like I had died and gone to heaven! Then I ate Pasta and Pizza (oh the pizza...I was so happy to eat pizza again...I nearly cried) I was looking forward to Up days just to eat the foods I had deprived myself of for so long. Every Up Day was like Christmas! I think I finally got it all out of my system and now I've calmed down these past 2 Up Days. The craziness didn't impact my weight loss as much as I thought it would. Despite all of that, I still lost 6 lbs, So I'm happy and satisfied.

I plan on making more and more healthy choices as I ease into this new way of eating.
Daisyjane82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I eat more veggies than I have ever before. Up days just include them as well....along with chips or candy sometimes.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Yeah, that kind of depends on ones definition of healthy.

Sometimes I have pizza, homemade chocolate chip pancakes or processed crap out of a box. Not so healthy.

Sometimes I have pot roast, potatoes, carrots, etc. I consider anything I make at home that has nutritional value, low in chemicals and other preservatives to be healthy.

Sometimes I go through 2 dozen eggs a week. Some might freak out at that but I think it's healthy. My cholesterol is great.

Last edited by DeltaBigBoy; 05-14-2013 at 02:08 PM..
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sometimes. I usually have at least one "healthy" thing a day...working on eating cleaner, but I don't stick to any strict regimen on UDs. Dieting eod is stressful enough to me right now, so UDs are a time to relax and enjoy.

ETA: The first few weeks I started JUDDD, coming from LC, I made a trip to a store where I had found strawberry cupcakes eod. They were over 500 calories a piece!!! That was when my calorie allotment seemed big. Now, I wouldn't eat one or would think long and hard about it, because it would mean giving up a meal!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 05-14-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/130/140
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
My husband and I have low-carbed for perhaps 15 years or so - so on our UDs we typically eat like we always do - meat/vegetables/salads - but now we're adding in more fruit. Since we rarely eat out, it's fairly easy to keep to that WOE. And I've noticed that we are eschewing breakfast more and more - I think after a day of "fasting" we just aren't all that hungry.

And then we sometimes eat out - pizza, beer, and I plan to have some REAL ice cream one of these days. We're going to Universal Studios for a day soon, and it'll be a day we allow some indulgence.

I think the most important thing for eating "healthy" (at least for us) is we don't buy any groceries that are junk - so all of our indulgences will be the occasions when we eat out ...

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Mine are really not at all. Today I had a mcdonalds egg and bacon biscuit and hashbrowns. Lunch was a small bag of chips and a tuna sandwich (the tuna was probably healthy!) and dinner was a big banana nut muffin. But I stayed within calories at least?

One of my goals is to get my UD's healthier. Not just within calories but more nutrient rich and less carby. People keep saying it happens naturally as time passes on JUDDD but this is my six month anniversary and it hasn't happened yet. I am losing though.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: 196/?(not looking for a while)/150
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Most are but some aren't. When I first started JUDDD I went a little crazy on UD like everyone seems to do and that was OK for a couple of weeks. But then I stopped losing. I didn't start to lose weight again until I started counting my UD calories. I am a painfully slow loser . so now I eat mostly healthy on UD but save at least one meal for an indulgence (or save it for wine/drinks or dessert).

The most important thing for me to eat healthier on UDs was that when I do, my DD are not as difficult. If I fill up on the crap food on UD (for me this means mostly sweets!) then I had way more hungry DDs.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Most of mine are fairly health, but my diet still involves pizza or Mexican food with tortilla chips and salsa... By the way that is the only 2 ways I will consume tomato... Tomatoes are to me what cucumbers are to Cindy (Kissa) sorry to bring them up Cindy...

I had a small dish of cold stone ice cream over the weekend, but usually I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and rice cakes with PB2. I try to keep snacks far far away from my kitchen. I'm even taking a break from Special K bars since those can get addictive.

I always have loads of fresh veggies and have egg beaters in the fridge. I drink a lot of water with true lemon, true lime or true orange. I just love the true orange in my water.

It can be a balancing act in the beginning, but I find I settle into healthy choices more often the opting for fast food or candy.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html

Last edited by Carly; 05-14-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I don't do wheat and try to stay away from processed stuff (with the exception of Nutella. Love that stuff) I don't do sugar (with the exception of Nutella...)
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
(with the exception of Nutella...)
Haha, what a great exception to the rule though. That stuff is addicting.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
Being new to JUDDD I am similar to you, I am going a little overboard on my UD's. But actually I have found myself cooking better and healthier meals on UD's as on my DD I am not craving junk food, but things like sweet potato which are a bit too high calorie for a DD but perfect for an UD.

It's my snacks that are mostly unhealthy at the moment. I am trying to have higher calories, more filling meals to take away the need to snack the rest of time. Hopefully we'll both get more in to the swing of it as we get more used to this way of eating xx
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
I've found now I've settled into my rotations (I'm on week 3, doing 4:3 rotations) that I eat far healthier on my UD's than when I wasn't dieting. Lots of home cooked meals & salad/veg etc but do blow out a bit at weekends x
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I don't do wheat and try to stay away from processed stuff (with the exception of Nutella. Love that stuff) I don't do sugar (with the exception of Nutella...)
I have never tried that? I think this woe doesn't care what you eat it is all about calories. I eat healthy all the time BUT, that doesn't mean I don't over indulge in the good things and go over in calories! I think the biggest obstacle is stuff available in your home. For me..I write on the top of my grocery list I AM A LIFE GIVER...I have a bunch of kids so that keeps me accountable. Although we grow and make a lot of what we consume...I'm addicted to coconut butter! Do you know how many calories are in that! Shheesh
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sometimes my UDs include a couple of glasses of red wine but I find my DDs are much easier if I nourish my body well on my UDs. That looks like lots of veggies, some quality carbs and some protein.

I'd never counted calories before JUDDDing, so that was quite an eye-opener and If I'm going to have a treat, I usually weigh up whether it's worth the calories.

I avoid sweet junk but I love home-made cookies and cakes. However, I don't bake so I don't get many opportunities to have them - I suspect that's fortunate! I rarely enjoy the taste of commercial ones, so they normally class as not worth the calories.

Cindy, I couldn't eat one cupcake - or I'd have to scrape off the frosting, which would be sacrilege, I'm sure!

My idea of food heaven looks more like fresh crusty bread with lots of butter, maybe a smear of Marmite or thick with some expensive jam and some good quality cheese on the side.

However, I love good quality chocolate/s. If I fancy ice cream, it has to be the real deal. My fruit yogurts are organic ones - I'll take a few sugar calories in lieu of artificial sweetener anyday!

Stuff available in the home is definitely my biggest obstacle. Potato chips can be my nemesis - and salted peanuts. I don't buy them but DH sometimes brings them at weekends!!

I'm lucky that I didn't low carb for long before coming to JUDDD - I gained several pounds during that experiment! So, I haven't had the urge to make up for lost carbs time. If you've LC'd in earnest, I think the sense of JUDDD freedom must be awesome - and maybe a little scary.

Mamatomany, that's a wonderful reminder to write on your shopping list. What a gift to your children!

Last edited by Flossyliz; 05-15-2013 at 05:27 AM..
Flossyliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #22

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Quote:
I'd never counted calories before JUDDDing, so that was quite an eye-opener and If I'm going to have a treat, I usually weigh up whether it's worth the calories.
Quote:
Potato chips can be my nemesis
I completely agree with this statement. Chips to me are addictive. An open bag means, eat at will. No matter the size, it is a "one serving bag" in my mind. CHIPS are horrible horrible horrible! Many here know my DS14 is following a loose version of JUDDD, he won't touch chips EVER, DD or UD, unless it is a free day that he doesn't count. I have the small 1 serving bags at the house right now due to a church event, he looked at that small bag (1/2 full of air) and saw 160 and was like, NO WAY! Why bother!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-20.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilowl31
Stats: 172/158/135
Start Date: March 2013
I try to keep most of my UDs healthy. Friday is date night with my fiance though, and I eat whatever I want off the menu...usually followed by a stop at the yogurt place haha!
lilowl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've found now I've settled into my rotations (I'm on week 3, doing 4:3 rotations) that I eat far healthier on my UD's than when I wasn't dieting. Lots of home cooked meals & salad/veg etc but do blow out a bit at weekends x
I just started making my weekends U and M days, with three DD's during the work week and I can already tell a difference in what I'm eating. Mentally I've allowed myself the notion that Saturdays can be UUAD's, and I think that calmed the binge monster in me.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
I can relate to something in nearly every post here! Nice to know that I'm in great company
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Getting to place mentally to eat what I want within reason has been the hardest part of the whole "healthy" eating thing. That being said, I eat a combo of healthy/unhealthy foods every UD. There are three ways I use to reign it in to keeping UDs from becoming a bingefest. I do whatever fits my mood of the day...

1. Eat 3 meals no snacks - each meal is one plate of food of whatever I want. it might be a traditional meat veggie starch or it might be coffee and an egg mcmuffin...

2. Use some method of Intermittent Fasting - i.e. eat within an 8 hour window or make sure I fast for 16 hours from dinner to the next meal, then I usually only eat 2 meals and maybe a snack - nice size meals, but still, it helps to keep me satisfied yet stay within a decent calorie range.

3. Have carbs at only one meal. Eat low carb stuff whenever I am hungry, but definitely have carby, junky stuff at one meal. (usually try to keep to one plate on this one, too)
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Today's certainly wasn't... I ate a whole can of pringles
I usually work out each morning what my calorie intake will be by planning all my meals I forgot today and am now tryin to pluck up the courage to work it out...
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/130/140
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
hmmm - I've never even thought about counting calories on my UDs

Maybe because we've been low-carbing for so long, it's no longer something I think about. I do count the 500 calories for the DDs (as I counted for HCG) - but I don't worry about fats and/or proteins - seems to be working okay - one of these days I probably should figure out just how many calories I typically eat.

Today (an UD), I had flax granola (that I make, the only calories would come from the flax seeds and the rolled oats, then some Hood's milk); a banana and a handful of cashews; and leftover meatloaf with 1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato, some lettuce and mayo, all on a low-carb tortilla - I doubt that came to over 1500 calories????
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Well, chalk me up as one who didn't eat so healthy today...not terrible, but I did have a bag of chex mix (single serving), and a Zero candy bar. Then I ate two small servings of banana pudding and two cookies that were supposed to be dessert for both of us tonight. Bf didn't mind because he hardly ever eats dessert, but I felt wicked. I'm pretty sure I'm headed for a slight UUAD. After all, I've not had dinner yet.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #30

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Don't feel bad. I'm leaning toward having a Western Bacon Cheeseburger for dinner.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote