Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Need Pickled Egg Recipe

After reading about pickles, thought eggs would be good too! Saw lots of recipes on the internet but I trust my JUDD buds to give me their best one!!

Hope someone has a good one for me!

leonak is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I'm very partial to pickled eggs flavoured with star anise, so quite a lot depends on your taste in these things.

I make up a pickling vinegar flavoured with a little orange peel, star anise, coriander and white mustard seeds, with maybe a little dried red chilli. I bring it up to boil then let it cool and mature.

I boil and peel my eggs. I heat up the pickling vinegar, pour it over them and leave them to mature for a few days before eating.

A plain, slightly sweet-spiced version that's popular in the UK:

12 hard-boiled eggs
2 UK pints (40 floz which is 2 US pints + 1c, I think or 1.1 l) of vinegar (white malt or cider)
˝ oz (15g) ginger
˝ oz (15g) black pepper
˝ oz (15g) allspice (or a blade of mace, some bruised cinnamon stick)
Method

Bring all of the pickling vinegar ingredients to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
If you don't have any time to mature the vinegar, you can use at once (but it is better for maturing). If you're maturing it, bottle and put away for several weeks.

Hard boil and peel your eggs. Place eggs in a suitable crock or large jar.
I usually pour the vinegar over the egg while it's hot but other people are happy with using it when cool. Whatever you do, seal the jar.
Leave to mature for 4 weeks.

I like the US recipes for pickled beetroot eggs so will look out for anyone posting one of those.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have always wanted to try Chinese tea eggs! Here's a recipe:

• 6 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons (2 bags) black tea
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 whole star anise
  • Water
Directions
  1. Place eggs gently in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to boil. Depending on your preference, either 1) remove from heat, cover and let sit 20 minutes or 2) turn to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain eggs and let cool (you can speed cooling by giving the eggs a cold water bath, draining and refilling when the water gets warm again).
  2. Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, crack each eggshell all around. The cracks allow the flavor to penetrate, so make sure each eggshell is well and deeply cracked all over.
  3. Place cracked eggs in a pot, ideally keeping in a single layer. Add tea, soy sauce, star anise and water just to cover. Bring to boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for an hour, turning eggs if water gets low. Leave eggs in liquid, as eggs will continue to absorb flavor. Refrigerate when cool.
You can leave out the star anise if you don't have it, or add other spices/flavors (orange peel was suggested, among others).

Note: cracking the eggs after boiling and before immersing in tea/soy solution will result in a beautiful crackled appearance. One recipe I saw said that peeling them completely before soaking in tea/soy gave them much more flavor.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 05-14-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I have always wanted to try Chinese tea eggs .
I've occasionally thought about it and been deterred by the idea of boiling the tea/eggs for so long.

Once your hack is over, let's agree to try this recipe out and see what we think.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sounds good to me!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote