Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   UD Tuesday: Menu, Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804103-ud-tuesday-menu-plans.html)

SlowSure 05-14-2013 01:45 AM

UD Tuesday: Menu, Plans

Lots of planting to do this evening so it's as well that dinner just needs to be heated. We've been watering in nematodes in the hope of wresting something from the garden last year as it was a knockout victory for vine weevil, slugs, snails, drought and floods last year.

B: poached egg (90kcals) with 40g sardines (80kcals) and a cauliflower/cabbage bubble and squeak (120kcals). Total=290kcals
L: broccoli soup (120kcals) with HM seaweed seed crackers (180kcals) and semi-dried tomato (25kcals). Total=325kcals
D: goat curry (250kcals) with cauli rice (50kcals) and rice (100kcals), charred aubergine and peppers (90kcals). Total=490kcals

Running total of 1105kcals which leaves me about 400kcals to spare. I might have a slice of cheese at lunch and a dessert of cashew/date 'fudge' (40kcals per piece) and a HM banana ice lolly (60kcals).

FairyWren 05-14-2013 02:04 AM

Good luck with the planting, hope you have a better year this year!

Do you make the cashew/date fudge yourself, it sounds delish!!

B: Black coffee
L: 2hard boiled eggs, 100g Philly cheese, salad, apple balsamic, 4 gluten free oatcakes
D: Chicken breast with bacon, brocolli and cauliflower with cheese sauce (butter, cream, cheese)
Snack: an orange

Total 1751

Mamatomany 05-14-2013 05:04 AM

Wow...you all are making me hungry :) It is my birthday today, so my kids will be preparing my food for the day! So you just never know. My 5 year old said, mama I'm gonna make you a black bean cake stuffed with goat cheese and sprinkled coconut. cuzy I know you love those things :) Hmmm....

zipp2play 05-14-2013 05:32 AM

Slow - I love planting. Last night I watched my DD11 plant flowers (she would not let me help). Tonight we are planting 3 tomato plants.

Evie - 4 GF Oatcakes? What are they? I have celiac so I am always looking for something new!

Mama - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! Bless your 5 year old's heart! :heart: Enjoy your DAY!!!!!!

zipp2play 05-14-2013 05:34 AM

For me:

B - 2 eggs, waffle cheese 280c
S - protein granola bar 190c
L - Not really sure. I was in a MOOD this a.m. so I rejected my DH's idea. I know there are steamed veggies here, various soups and some salad fixings. Maybe we will get something out? Or I know DH is heading home over lunch, he could get the breakfast casserole he ASKED me about this morning! I am a MESS!
D- pork chops and new potatoes and probably green beans

Not sure on calories since I really have no clue on the plan for today.

Scarlett46 05-14-2013 05:53 AM

B: HB Egg, Ham, Coffee
L: Cookout & Pot Luck lunch at work (so who knows...)
S: Yogurt, Coffee
D: Will depend on what happened at lunch!

It's kind of scary for me! I ALWAYS have a plan mapped out in my calorie counter. NOT today though!

SlowSure 05-14-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyWren (Post 16423453)
Do you make the cashew/date fudge yourself, it sounds delish!!

Yes.
60g plain cashews (1/2c)
160g dates (approx. 1 1/4c) (can be reduced)
smidge of smoked salt (could just be plain salt)
vanilla extract to taste

I toast my cashews in a dry pan (or in the oven if it's already on) until they're pale gold with some darker spots.
Use 160g of fresh or semi-dried dates or about 130g of dried dates, soaked in some water.
Food process the nuts and dates together, adding salt and vanilla to taste. Make sure the nuts stay small chunky (so to speak) because if they are processed too fine, I don't think that you can taste them.
Either press into a small container and cut into squares later or roll into 22 10g balls. The 10g balls are approx. 40kcals apiece.

I'm thinking of trying this out with PB2 and toasted peanuts instead of cashews and with raisins rather than dates: it would be a pale shadow of peanut and raisin Yorkie bars (particularly if I made the 'fudge' ball round a chocolate chip or incorporated some de-fatted cocoa albeit this would raise the kcal count). It's probably possible to play around with this by emphasising the PB2 and using cooked chickpeas to sub for some of the peanuts (to give the texture).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamatomany (Post 16423555)
My 5 year old said, mama I'm gonna make you a black bean cake stuffed with goat cheese and sprinkled coconut. cuzy I know you love those things :) Hmmm....

5 years old? Oh my. That's ingenious. I await your report. :birthday:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16423577)
Slow - I love planting. Last night I watched my DD11 plant flowers (she would not let me help). Tonight we are planting 3 tomato plants.

I forgot blight. 24 plants last year, not one tomato cropped. :cry:

KeirasMom 05-14-2013 06:10 AM

I'm feeling well enough to eat today, so I'm hoping this will work out.

B: Everything bagel with cream cheese, coffee, iced tea
L: Banh Mi
D: ??

Happy birthday Mama!

Flutter 05-14-2013 06:30 AM

Glad you're feeling better, Dawn!

Happy Birthday mamatomany!!! What a sweet baby you have there!

I had a strawberry filled donut w/ coffee this morning. (weird, I never eat donuts, but I was hungry and it was staring at me) ;) Not sure on lunch but I'll have a lot of calories to play with b/c dinner is broiled salmon, broccoli & an ear of corn. That's only 710 cals between dinner & breaky. Yikes! I had planned a garden salad w/ chicken for lunch but ummm, that won't be 1000+ calories. LOL!

LoCarbGal 05-14-2013 08:14 AM

I'm going to keep this UD very in control. I know I can do it!

B: Coffee/HWC (2)
L: ??? Tuna salad or chicken salad sounds good
D: Fried catfish, tomato and fennel salad
D: Vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries

Sirtain 05-14-2013 08:17 AM

I had leftover chicken and veg for breakfast, a having sashimi for lunch, and planning coconut chicken tenders with cucumber salad for dinner. There may be some cheesecake or ice cream in there somewhere as well. :)

My Down Day yesterday was accidentally very low 233K instead of 420K. No additional hunger or desire today.

FairyWren 05-14-2013 08:20 AM

Mamatomany - :birthday: hope you enjoy your cake and have a lovely day

SlowSure - excellent thanks so much for that :-)

Dawn, glad you are feeling better

zipp2play 05-14-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16423833)

ME TOO! I have been a mess lately.

Quote:

I forgot blight. 24 plants last year, not one tomato cropped
That is what my DH fears will happen to us. Time will tell.

zipp2play 05-14-2013 11:17 AM

Dawn so happy you are feeling better. Don't over do anything today. Food or otherwise.

SlowSure 05-14-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett46 (Post 16423598)
B: HB Egg, Ham, Coffee
L: Cookout & Pot Luck lunch at work (so who knows...)
S: Yogurt, Coffee
D: Will depend on what happened at lunch!

It's kind of scary for me! I ALWAYS have a plan mapped out in my calorie counter. NOT today though!

Likewise - I feel so inflexible at times but I always like to have a plan for the day. (I have an outline plan for 2 weeks at a time but I do modify it according to the weather.) I tend to have a 200-400kcals buffer on UDs which allows me to accept something small from someone or to add some cheese or dessert on to dinner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16423619)
I'm feeling well enough to eat today, so I'm hoping this will work out.

I hope your recovery sticks with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16423647)
! I had planned a garden salad w/ chicken for lunch but ummm, that won't be 1000+ calories. LOL!

Only if it was one of my mother's Nuns' Salads :) Lovely concoction of chicken breast, boiled new potatoes, the whites of Spring onions, black olives and black grapes, generously dressed in mayonnaise and served on her Lancashire Cheese crackers. It was Summertime bliss. And although not intrinsically high in calories it was in the quantities in which everyone ate it.:love:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16423833)

Good for you. :high5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16423838)
My Down Day yesterday was accidentally very low 233K instead of 420K. No additional hunger or desire today.

Good grief - that's some admirable self-control.

LoCarbGal 05-14-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16424198)
Only if it was one of my mother's Nuns' Salads :) Lovely concoction of chicken breast, boiled new potatoes, the whites of Spring onions, black olives and black grapes, generously dressed in mayonnaise and served on her Lancashire Cheese crackers. It was Summertime bliss. And although not intrinsically high in calories it was in the quantities in which everyone ate it.:love:

That sounds absolutely heavenly!

zipp2play 05-14-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16423579)
For me:

B - 2 eggs, waffle cheese 280c
S - protein granola bar 190c
L - Not really sure. I was in a MOOD this a.m. so I rejected my DH's idea. I know there are steamed veggies here, various soups and some salad fixings. Maybe we will get something out? Or I know DH is heading home over lunch, he could get the breakfast casserole he ASKED me about this morning! I am a MESS!
D- pork chops and new potatoes and probably green beans

Not sure on calories since I really have no clue on the plan for today.

Lunch ended up chicken/rice/veggies with some BBQ chips. So around 500c. Not horrible. It was all GOOD too

JMBM 05-14-2013 02:38 PM

L: sandwich w/ about 14 spec. k chips =250

D: Not sure yet, but stop eating time is 8:30 for me.

S: undecided.