Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Anybody taking any supplements or vitamins? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804091-anybody-taking-any-supplements-vitamins.html)

DeltaBigBoy 05-13-2013 05:44 PM

Anybody taking any supplements or vitamins?

I've been doing some reading and have been looking into these:

L-carnitine
L-glutamine
fish oil
Probiotic
multi vitamin

I don't currently take anything. Maybe an aspirin here or there for a headache.
Anyone take any of these or others? Any positive results?:confused:

krow134 05-13-2013 05:48 PM

I read this post earlier and pulled my magnesium out of the medicine cupboard again. I make sure to take it daily now!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vi...magnesium.html

I also take fish oil daily now too. Recommended by doc for lowering trig. levels

Carly 05-13-2013 05:53 PM

I take resveratrol and pterostilbene daily.
I try to take Biotin for my thinning hair as well as a calcium, magnesium, zinc combo.

DeltaBigBoy 05-13-2013 05:55 PM

:hyst: I didn't even realize there was a vitamin/supplement forum. I have the JUDDD forum bookmarked and just come here!

krow134 05-13-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBigBoy (Post 16423167)
:hyst: I didn't even realize there was a vitamin/supplement forum. I have the JUDDD forum bookmarked and just come here!

lol!! There is a forum for everything here!!!! :)

deedee 05-13-2013 05:58 PM

I'm on the pterostilbene train, it's been wonderful so far for my blood sugar.

Also Cod Liver Oil, Fish Oil, Magnesium and Biotin.

Carly what does the reservatrol do?

Carly 05-13-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedee (Post 16423174)
I'm on the pterostilbene train, it's been wonderful so far for my blood sugar.

Also Cod Liver Oil, Fish Oil, Magnesium and Biotin.

Carly what does the reservatrol do?

It's similar to pterostilbene. If I had to pick 1 I'd pick the pterostilbene, but I like both.

deedee 05-13-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

It's similar to pterostilbene. If I had to pick 1 I'd pick the pterostilbene, but I like both.
Thanks! I am really liking the ptero, but if this is similar I might try both.

Yennie 05-13-2013 06:57 PM

I'm jumping on the CLA/GLA bandwagon, having been to Wally World & purchased some today.
Having said that, I've got bottles & bottles of pills because, for some reason, I CAN NOT remember to take them after a day or 2. So we'll see if I can remember this as well.

adillenal 05-13-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16423249)
I'm jumping on the CLA/GLA bandwagon, having been to Wally World & purchased some today.
Having said that, I've got bottles & bottles of pills because, for some reason, I CAN NOT remember to take them after a day or 2. So we'll see if I can remember this as well.

Ditto

Mamatomany 05-14-2013 05:00 AM

I take a good multi, magnesium, vitex (womans thing), and I take 200 mg. resveratrol. I found the ptero...1. made me absolutely insane...2. interupted my sleep. I don't know what it was is about that stuff, but it literally had such a negative affect altering my ability to be rational. Seriously! I was an angry mobster within 20 minutes of taking it. It is like night and day...

Mamatomany 05-14-2013 05:01 AM

I do put l-glutamine in my smoothies which is a homemade probiotic made from raw goat's milk (keifer). Forgot about that :)

Demonica 05-14-2013 07:41 AM

pterostilbene/resveratrol combo, a multi (when I remember:laugh:), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Magnesium, fish oil, garlic, 5-HTP and acidophillus. And at night, melatonin and valarian

I'm a regular vitamin/herbal pharmacy.:hyst:

Actually I've been studying herbology.

Yennie 05-14-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonica (Post 16423766)

Actually I've been studying herbology.

That's really neat! I think there are a lot of benefits that can be gained from natural remedies, and it would be nice to know combos that can help out without major pharmacological intervention! Not that natural stuff isn't pharmacological intervention because, of course, it is but...

KeirasMom 05-14-2013 08:56 AM

I take a multi-vitamin, a calcium/D3 combo, 150 mg Resveratrol (just the last week or two), Natural Calm with calcium when I think about it.

I'm thinking about adding CLA.

Yennie 05-14-2013 09:18 AM

Dawn,
Have you read any of the CLA threads? The results seem really encouraging. Which is why I thought - what the heck. In the grand scheme of things its not that pricey and if it helps...
That dang coat I need to wear for Montana (and, truth be told, Father's Day weekend as well) ALMOST buttons with the proper shirt & tie underneath it. The 2 buttons over the "girls" will close but the 2 lower buttons, over my upper belly...so close but not quite yet. So I'm hoping the CLA will help start shrinking that area.
COME ON BELLY - JUST LEAVE ALREADY!!!
(Ok, I'm done with my temper tantrum.)

KeirasMom 05-14-2013 09:26 AM

I haven't, but I've seen it mentioned several times and did a Google search for a little more information. I'll have to check out the threads.

Yennie 05-14-2013 09:31 AM

There is a sticky, and an older one in the vitamins/supplements board. Thats where I started. They've got great info, like most of the stickies. :)
Looks like dosing may vary but I'm starting off low as there was some talk of potty problems and nausea when starting. So I figure I'll do the lower dose for the first week, see how it affects me and then go up if needed.
Some people saw results in as little as a week.

Flossyliz 05-14-2013 12:39 PM

For JUDDD, I take one acetyl-lcarnitine with some fish oil first thing in the morning, to keep the overnight fasting fat-burning going. The acetyl version is supposed to help with memory - and I need all the help I can get nowadays! I also take CLA with UD meals, for belly fat burning. No problems with either of them.

Despite taking large does of vitC for several weeks, my body seemed to be crying out for antioxidants, so I've just added astaxanthin (which I hope will also help my rapidly-ageing eyesight) and pterostilbene which is recommended for some JBs for energy and mental clarity - appetite suppression being a DD bonus. Too soon to tell if they're working though!

I recently added K2-MK7 to my D3 and I've been finding methylcobalamin helpful with general debility.

I ought to rattle!