Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
IVF / Fertility Treatments on JUDDD

I was just wondering if anyone has followed JUDDD and undergone fertility treatment? I’m just about to start kicking off an IVF process. It isn’t for me really. My sister has started to go through early menopause at 35yrs old after trying for about 6-7 years for a baby. I’m donating my eggs to her and we’re hoping that she’ll be able to carry the baby. But it means I have to have all the fertility treatments up to the point of implanting the egg in her.

It’s kicking off tomorrow with an injection that will stop me ovulating and apparently puts me in to a kind of “mini menopause”, with the possibility of all the side effects of the menopause too. I will then a few weeks later start the injections to stimulate my ovaries in to producing extra eggs.

I don’t know anyone who has been through this personally so I was wondering if anyone here has. Did it affect your diet at all? Is JUDDD a good way to diet through this?

I know some of the injections can apparently increase appetite / cause water retention, so I am not sure I will lose anything during this period, but I’d certainly be happy to maintain and not gain!! Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through similar.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I haven't, but good luck to you and your sister. I hope you get some good advice here.

It's sounds like a fascinating process. If you are comfortable sharing your experiences along the way I'm sure it will benefit others who are considering this process...IF you are comfortable!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I'm definitely happy to share if people are interested. I have to admit, I find the science behind it amazing too. They make it all sound so simple!
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I have no idea if it would affect your IVF process. I wanted to say, my hats off to you for doing this for your sister!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
What a great sister you are! And she must be pretty special too for you to do this for her. Good luck!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
The closest experience I have is a friend who had artificial insemination a few months ago. Not really related at all, as she doesn't do JUDDD, and it's a different process. I want to add my kudos to you here as well. What a beautiful, selfless thing you're doing.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Hi!! I also am going through premature menopause (38). I have however already had my kids before hand. God bless you and what your doing! That is just the best, most precious gift you can give your sister!

I joined a site not to long ago that is dedicated to this subject of POF. Alot of the woman on there who are in same situation with donor eggs, have found that low carb is helping. Which in a round about JUDDD with lower carbs should help also. <---none of these woman JUDDD though. I cant link you though as its a paysite and against LCF terms. But there is a facebook site also that if you search premature menopause it will come up as a closed group....only one!!! They are very very helpful there!!!

There is a book called The premature menopause book written by Kathryn Petras. I bought it and it helped me alot to understanding alot of this. CHapter 8 of this book is all about having a baby with POF. Chapter 9 is about the recommended diet....which in a nutshell is along the lines of Low Carb. Eating the right foods to supply back to your body what it is missing now. You have to order it as its older and not on Kindle but I got it through Amazon and only paid 4 bucks including shipping and got it with in a week. It might be of some help for your sister!!! I was confused by my diagnosis and didnt know where to go for answers, this book gave me alot of them!!!

On a side note and not sure if its any help.....alot of friends over the years have followed the LC plans and have found themselves pregnant. One by accident and with twins when her youngest at the time was 18!! Something about cutting the junk foods seems to wake your body up!!

I do wish you alot of luck and I can try to help with things I find out!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I've no advice Jackie - but lots of admiration and best wishes for your success!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Awww thank you everyone!! Krow - I will definitely check out the book and the FB site for my sister, thank you for the recommendation.

When we first started this process the hospital website said you needed a BMI of below 35 to donate eggs. I originally started out at around 43 I think. My BMI was around 39 when we had our first appointment but our nurse said that although I should continue to try and lose weight, they would never turn away a healthy donor based on a high BMI. As I wouldn't actually be carrying a baby the risk from high BMI was minimal.

Our usual nurse was on holiday today when I went for this scan and injection to kick everything off. The new nurse weighed me and calculated my BMI at 37.5, she looked at me dissaproving and said "well the injection your sister has already had might have been wasted as you haven't lost enough weight". Well..... I nearly started crying I explained that I had lost more weight since the last appt but our regular nurse said that a slow and steady loss was better as a rapid loss can effect the reproductive system (last appt was Feb so I guess 1.5 points off the BMI isn't great but not too bad I don't think).

Well she went off and phoned the consultant who agreed that he was happy to go ahead with the treatment as the BMI of 35 was most for people who would be having the egg implanted and hoping to get pregnant...... but for 5 - 10 minutes I felt SO HORRIBLE!! I thought that I had blown the whole thing because I can't stop my greedy self from eating!!

I'm just so relieved the consultant said yes. Crazy thing is, if he had said no, I know I would have lost the weight as quickly as possible and would have probably resorted to unhealthy ways of doing it that could have effected my fertility. But hey, at least we've made a start on the journey now!!
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Jackie . I'm so sorry that b***h did that to you. For some people it's all black and white, no gray area. And she probably gets off on the small amount of power she has over people. Shame on her. Thank goodness for the consultant's clear head! And don't let anyone tell you you're not doing great!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I just wanted to commend you, Stardust, on the precious gift you are giving to your sister. I'm sorry you have had some "bumps" along the way, but good for you for sticking it out.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote