Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Food has way more flavor. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804032-food-has-way-more-flavor.html)

DeltaBigBoy 05-13-2013 05:10 AM

Food has way more flavor.

This morning I had a bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch and it was like heaven! A couple months ago when I was off my diet and eating like crap a bowl of RBC had no taste. I was asking myself if Kellogs had changed the recipe because I couldn't taste it. I still had part of a box left and didn't want to just pitch the cardboard tasting stuff so I ate some. What a pleasant surprise.

KeirasMom 05-13-2013 05:51 AM

Hunger is the best "seasoning." :D

phoenix17 05-13-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16421931)
Hunger is the best "seasoning." :D

good answer!!

In the past, any time I have started to like things I had not before been able to eat (broccoli, asparagus, shrimp, etc) I've always been pretty hungry when I tried it. :)

Flossyliz 05-13-2013 06:26 AM

That's a nice NSV Scott!
I think counting calories makes us more discerning about what goes into our mouths. That, in turn, makes us more appreciative.
Also, several JBs have mentioned how much better food tastes after they've been JUDDDing for a while.
Conversely, junk can taste worse - as with my disappointing cookie yesterday!

Trigger828 05-13-2013 06:50 AM

Delta I noticed in your sig. line---Zero calorie down days.

are you eating nothing every other day? just curious when this caught my eye.

Sirtain 05-13-2013 07:33 AM

My husband is also doing zero calorie Down Days. I did when I began, but stopped because of my doctor's suggestion(long story) and went to 420K instead. Getting used to eating just a little bit was actually more difficult than eating nothing, for me.

DeltaBigBoy 05-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16422011)
are you eating nothing every other day?

Yes! I usually only eat one meal on my UDs so i usually go anywhere from 48-72ish hours between meals. Depending on if I'm doing a single or double DD. I usually do UDs on both my days off then follow with a DoubleDownDay(DDD) to keep my calorie deficit in check.

No food at all between meals. I have one cup of coffee on the way to work and nothing else but water.

I don't find food necessary on DDs. It makes dirty dishes, makes me hungry, and hinders my body working on itself.

LoCarbGal 05-13-2013 10:39 AM

:notwrthy: on the zero calorie DDs, Scott, and also eating just one meal on UDs. That is true discipline. And how great that you've found what works for you.

I've had the same experience with foods tasting better since starting JUDDD too. I think one reason is I'm more mindful while eating now. If this is all the calories I get to eat, I'd better stop and enjoy them instead of shoveling them in while watching TV. My default is to eat fast and lots. Not very ladylike, but there it is...

Whitlin' 05-13-2013 12:21 PM

Scott, that reminds me of the old fable about a wealthy ruler who is never hungry, eating all the finest foods, but grows tired of them. He offers part of his kingdom to anyone who can find the most delicious food in the world.

An old woodcutter tells him that that is easy - every day he goes into the forest and there he eats the most delicious food in the world for his lunch. So early the next day the ruler goes into the forest with him and works with him through the day waiting for lunchtime, wondering where the most delicious food in the world comes from.

At lunch, the woodcutter pulls simple brown bread from his pockets and shares it with the ruler, who is finally hungry and so enjoys every bite. He decrees that, because the woodcutter knew how to take him to the most delicious food in the world, he deserves part of the kingdom.

DeltaBigBoy 05-13-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16422410)
:I'd better stop and enjoy them instead of shoveling them in while watching TV. My default is to eat fast and lots.

I have the same issue, especially when it comes to sweets. I can eat 10 fun size snickers in the time I should be eating one and tasting it. I only taste the last bite! :p. I'm the same way with liquids. I used to chug a 20oz glass of milk. I could have just chugged water and chased it with milk for the same effect without the calories! It's something I've been trying to be mindful of when I eat.

I don't seem to miss the milk or the snickers. Maybe it's because I can still have them if I want?

DeltaBigBoy 05-13-2013 12:43 PM

Whitlin', that's a great fable and oh so true!

Flossyliz 05-13-2013 12:51 PM

Great fable Whitlin, thanks!

Scott, have you thought of freezing your snickers?
It's much easier to only take one at a time from the icebox, than to resist dipping into the bag. Then, you have to let it thaw for a short while - or suck it slowly! :laugh:

shirlc 05-13-2013 12:53 PM

I so agree...food tastes so much better when I eat way less of it!!!

deedee 05-13-2013 01:25 PM

What a great post! I have found that not just food tastes better, but...in between eating? This is a strange thing to describe, but lately I've been noticing that the hours between when I eat something, on Down and Up days, there's just a better taste in my mouth and the thought of food elicits a good taste in my mouth. Maybe other JB's have experienced this? It really makes me enjoy everything I do have. On a DD, the thought of a cup of coffee with a tiny bit of creamer or a sugar free jello, it just tastes delicious even in my mind!

Librarygirl 05-13-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix17 (Post 16421950)
good answer!!

In the past, any time I have started to like things I had not before been able to eat (broccoli, asparagus, shrimp, etc) I've always been pretty hungry when I tried it. :)

Yesterday at our family (Mother's Day) dinner, some of my siblings were talking about certain vegetables they couldn't eat. I like most vegetables, but would probably concur about some of the ones that aren't particularly appetizing (to some people)...but as they were saying what they would and wouldn't eat, I was thinking, if you only had 200 calories to eat all day long you'd be surprised at what you could eat and ENJOY!:rofl::laugh:

shirlc 05-13-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16423151)
I was thinking, if you only had 200 calories to eat all day long you'd be surprised at what you could eat and ENJOY!:rofl::laugh:

Wow, so true!!!

Yennie 05-13-2013 08:24 PM

I've noticed this as well. Not only does good food taste better but there is the phenomenon that I'm no longer willing to waste calories on things that aren't yummy. So I slow down & enjoy it because I want to enjoy the things that fit within the allotment!