Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Down day tips

In the beginning when getting used to down days and the very low calories, what tips, tricks or 'anything' did you do to make it thru the day.

I am jacking up a bit on down days. like 600-750 range and I want to get that lower of course. did a few perfect down days but most are getting a tad high in cals.

other than sheer stinking willpower, any good advice or tips or anything you can suggest to somehow make that day a tad easier?

I will take anything you can offer me at this point
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennafrogg
Stats: 240/145/130
WOE: atkins/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: feb 2011
What works for me is to hold out as long as I can in the morning before I eat for the first time, drinking coffee helps a lot with that. Then I space out my calories from my first meal to 8pm, nothing after that period. knowing I have that small window helps me. I also use the evenings of my DD's to plan what I want to eat the next day, that planning and knowing I can have what I want the next day makes the DD fasting way easier for me.
jennafrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motivatedMomma4
Stats: 180/147/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 19 2013
I use hot drinks though the day if I need to. I drink chicken broth made with bouillon cubes that are 5 cals... I like spicy stuff so I add cyanne pepper to mine.Those help to feel full. I drink coffee as well. Progresso soups are one of my main DD dinners, its super fillling, lots of different flavors and low calories! I usually wait until as late as possible to eat, like after 5 pm. I find that when I eat it triggers me to want to eat more. Its gotten so much easier as time passes, I have done quite a few full days with broth and coffee only :-) you just need to keep asking yourself through the day weather or not you are actually hungry or do you want to eat just to eat. I found most of the time I wasnt even actually hungry...but thats just me. Its helped me alot on my up days too!Anyway, it gets easier as your body gets used to it!! Good Luck!!
“just because you fail once, it doesn't mean you're going to fail at everything. keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself because if you don't, then who will? so keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.”
― Marilyn Monroe

Crystal
motivatedMomma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motivatedMomma4
Stats: 180/147/140
Start Date: Feb 19 2013
Oh and dont forget water...lots and lots of water!!!
motivatedMomma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
If you get cold on your DDs (I did) then schedule in hot drinks, both caloric and non-caloric.

You can thicken a mug of broth with gelatine or glucomannan and that can give a low-calorie, low-fat broth a luxurious mouthfeel.

Before I switched to this leptin reset, I found the variations on Shiritaki noodles to be DD savers. I ate the thin ones in Thai-flavoured broths with vegetables such as charred bell peppers, shredded Chinese Cabbage, mangetout and similar. The flat noodle versions make excellent stirfrys if you use stock powder or a little broth instead of oil and add good spices or hot sauce along with suitable vegetables.

I wouldn't be without glucomannan pudding in the fridge: Flossyliz has posted several recipes for them and there are more glucomannan ideas for savoury, sweet, side-dishes, dressings etc. in this helpful thread: Glucomannan Recipes

Being British, it's hardly surprising that I enjoy my cup of tea. I've found it helpful to select some flavours that are strong and that I find to be satisfying if I'm craving a flavour but don't trigger eating. For me, that's green tea with rose water or orange water, or jasmine tea with kewra water (the rest of the time, I'm strictly Indian tea with no milk or sweeteners).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

THANKS guys for good tips.

Jenna---I also noticed planning the next UP day actually helps me hold out longer. "I can have it tomorrow' is a saying I am coming to say alot

motivatedM----I am the same. when I start to eat then all of the sudden it does trigger me to want more. I knew I had to eat later in the day and I try, but now I will try to hold out even longer. like dinner time. I think this might help me alot.

SlowS---I have to really check out this Gluc. powder. Great link with tons of uses for this stuff. I haven't used it but I think I might have to go get some and see if it helps me. I noticed it is used by many. Hot drinks is a great idea. feels comforting

Good tips everyone and I will try them all.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I eat breakfast everyday and that works for me. But I usually have the same menu every DD too which makes life easier. Old standby is chicken broth cubes. And like has been said a little gluc added can certainly help.
I also take ptero which is helping more in maintenance than it did in WLM but I am taking a larger dose too.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I am not one that can wait as long as possible to eat. At the latest, I can make it to 10:00, especially during the week at work. I make my DD calories protein. Today I am having 2 eggs, veggies 170c Lunch will be a salad with cottage cheese 85c. I am one who has to watch my blood sugar closely, I can go into a tail spin really easily! I don't take anything for the hunger and I haven't tried any of the gluc, so I don't know if that would make a difference for me.

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlett46
Stats: 179/150/135 5'3" 43yo
WOE: SB/JUDDD
Start Date: SB: 6/2007 JUDDD: 4/2013
Having been on the South Beach Diet for several years, I am so programmed to eat several times throughout the day... So I plan little snacks throughout my DDs, and then more traditional, but smaller portions for dinner.

I haven't been doing JUDDD for much longer than you, but so far, I have found that if the first thing I eat for the day is protein of some sort (for me, a HB egg, and a slice or two of black forest ham works well) I can hold out even longer until my next meal.

Coffee with french vanilla creamer tastes like a treat.

Flavored water is a life saver for me too.
Scarlett46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I try to stay busy on Down Days, with projects, so that I don't have a lot of mental down time. When there's nothing to do, my mind just turns to thoughts of food. Makes me wonder how much of my eating is related to hunger at all.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Lots of great info for you here, the conclusion of which must be that we're all different and you need to experiment and find what suits you best!

Feeling hungry? Have a hot drink and wait an hour. Sometimes the "hunger" disappears for several hours! I often have a hungry period mid afternoon. If I can push through it, I often find I don't need to eat till about 8.30pm! Of course, this all depends what time your days start and end - I'm an owl!

Pushing through is one thing, but don't let yourself get desperately hungry. That's when we're likely to make poor food choices we go on to regret!

I recommend you use the daily menu plan threads. They can help you stay on track.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I wouldn't be without glucomannan pudding in the fridge: Flossyliz has posted several recipes for them and there are more glucomannan ideas for savoury, sweet, side-dishes, dressings etc. in this helpful thread: Glucomannan Recipes
I'd like to start experimenting with glucomannan. Does anyone know, if I get the capsules that they sell at Whole Foods, can I just break them open and use in one of these recipes?
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
You could, but there won't be much powder in one capsule - though half a teaspoonful does a lot of thickening, especially if it's heated!

You'll probably have to use two or three capsules for a recipe.

For lump-free results, put the gluc powder in a cup or bowl and stir while adding a little cold water. Then immediately add the mixture to your recipe, stirring all the time.

Some people just take the capsules like a supplement but the powder should work out cheaper if you're using it in recipes.

Always drink lots of water if you're taking glucomannan!

Last edited by Flossyliz; 05-13-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Thanks Flossy, maybe I'll just go ahead and order the powder from netrition. Seeing all those linked recipes made me want to start experimenting today, but it can wait a few more days.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shpongle
Stats: 5'7 - 202/212.4:-( /140 Age : 20
Start Date: Re-start August 2014
I drink around 1-3 litres of sugar free squash (crystal lite) as I hate how plain water is.

So a typical DD for me is squash and low calorie fruit until 7-8pm then I eat anything that is 300 calorie-ish , either a huge veggie omelette or a bowl of mashed potatoes or soup or a small sandwich with light hot cocoa then read in bed away from the kitchen till I fall asleep (I always go to sleep early on DD's haha)

I have tried many DD tips but liquids throughout the day and a small meal at night works best for me. Hope this helps
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I tend not to get hungry till I start eating so on DD I just have a small bedtime snack. In maintenance I have gone back to having a cup or 2 of coffee with creamer during the day, but during WLM I only had tea (no creamer). If I'm really hungry I will have some celery with 0 calorie walden farms dressing for dip. I have broth because I tend to need extra salt and I get very cold. If I'm busy I tend not to get hungry or not notice if I am.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Keeping it low carb on DD's is really helpful to me. I used to eat 2 slices of Oscar Meyer pre-cooked bacon and a tomato for breakfast (about 100 cal) -- but now I just start the day with bulletproof coffee (my DD version is 100 cal) and that holds me until 1 or 2. Then I'll either eat the bacon or something else of about the same caloric content. Then dinner is usually a low-cal soup (progress is good, I think Campbell's Manhattan clam chowder is only like 150 or so for the can) or a piece of tilapia and green beans. My DD's are now working out to be about 450, sometimes less.
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow thanks everyone. all the ways you get thru a DD sure shows me how to experiment and find the best solution that fits me.

great help to me!!

the gluc. powder. this is so interesting still to me. Does it cause any kind of tummy cramps or anything like that for anyone?

I took some fiber tablets a long time ago and the pain was wild. swore off anything like that again. wondering if any problems go along with the gluc. I do understand alot of water is needed.

I think this could be a help to me. I am thinking of buying a bag from netrition also.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mommyto3nj
Stats: 151/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 27, 2014
Love these tips. I have my second one tomorrow. I'm nervous again!!!
mommyto3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3nj View Post
Love these tips. I have my second one tomorrow. I'm nervous again!!!
If you can, don't be apprehensive about it - you're doing induction for several reasons, one of which is to learn about how to manage your DD and any snags that might arise and how best to manage them.

Implausible as it seems, in what will seem like no time, these rotations will become second nature to you.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote