Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Tips for compliance

I'm having troubles. I have successfully used JUDDD in the past and In fact it's the only way I lose, however I have trouble sticking with it and seem to always fall back on low carb because I'm not as hungry however I don't seem to be able to do both. Which I suppose is good...

However I'm looking to lose weight and I'm tired of the pain my joints are in and I think only fasting or IF will help me at this point. I am looking to fit this into my life but not make a big deal about it. In fact I have learned I won't get much support from my DH when it comes to diet because he doesn't want me to lose weight even though I know I need to because I feel so miserable and heavy and sluggish and I'm starting to have health problems, and my hypoglycemia seems to be moving to pre-diabetes. Since he doesn't have to live in my body and I've tried so many diets over the years he'll hear nothing of it. Which is fine, but I want him to see me have success and then maybe he'll join me! He said he'd be willing to do if it was something that worked for me long term. So I know JUDDD works, but it doesn't if you can't stick to it which leads me to my question: how do you guys stick to this? How to get a routine going that you can "live with"?

My idea is to start out maybe two days a week and build up to 3-4 slowly as I get used to it. I have blood sugar issues (I use a glucose meter to watch them) so I can't go long periods without eating and have tried complete fasts before and I always overeat when I come off a total fast so my next idea is to eat often on DDs but make them lower cal. I don't know what else to do to avoid the hypoglycemia and crazy blood sugar drops I get. I will obviously try to combine protein with any carbs I have to avoid spikes as much as I can. However I still want to watch my carb intake on UDs to some degree. I don't want to go off the deep end or eat junk but it'd be nice to have an indulgence once in a while and not suffer for weeks from it.

I also run 3-4 days a week and bike 1-2 days. On low carb I have serious performance issues (2 mins per mile slower even after months of keto-adaptation) and my blood sugar does odd things and one of my feel/hands will go numb while on a run and won't go back to normal until I cool down and eat something. It's frustrating. I used to run marathons and halfs and I'm tired of just getting slower, fatter, and more achy.

So I need to get some of this weight off, I think it will really help my joint pain and shoulder problems (I seriously think its my expanding bust line doing this though my dr insists its not). I've put on two cup sizes!

Any strategies you seasoned JUDDD veterans can suggest for me?

I really appreciate any help you can give!

-Michelle
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Hi Michelle,

Just popping in to say I'm right where you are. I've been "faffing" about with IF for a couple months now and I need to get serious. Our stats are very similar and I'd be glad to work with you as we head toward our goals. I'm not sure of your age...but I'm 53, I do boot camp 4-5 days a week and want to get back into a bit of running. What boards are you planning to post on each day? I usually post on the Daily chat and sometimes the 5:2.

Let's get this thing going....we can do it!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I may be a seasoned veteran but other than following your calculator calories and doing UD/DD rotations religiously, I don't know what else to say. Now I have always been a very faithful DD person but experienced many UUAD's but still lost so I am a true believer in DD's.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I will say that Juddd is very simple. Respect your UD and DD limits and you should be able to lose. I found really low DDs activated my SIRTs and gave me great appetite suppression so I never seemed to over eat on my UDs. Good luck to you!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Welcome back Michelle.

Some JUDDDers have found that eating lots of small “Barbie” meals helps them on DDs.

I don't do low carb, though I do tend to stick with protein and veggies on DDs. 300cals doesn't allow much leeway! I find that I do better if I defer eating as long as possible on DDs, but that probably wouldn't work for you.

However, I have found glucomannan helpful, both as shirataki noodles and as powder. It slows digestion, making food more sustaining and presumably helping to regulate blood sugar.

Also, I'm pretty sure pterostilbene helps regulate blood sugar levels. Doesn't suit everyone unfortunately. There's a whole thread about it.

If you've read The Alternate Day Diet, you'll be aware of the awesome health benefits this WOE can bring. It's just a case of stick to rotations as carefully as life allows and experiment to find what works best for you.

The daily menu threads can help plan in treats while staying on track.

I wish you a very successful and happy JUDDD journey.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I am still fairly new (3-4ish weeks on Judd) but I have found it to get easier and easier each DD. It is just a matter of fact that every other day is a DD.

I, too, get low blood sugar and it's something I am constantly trying to improve. I feel like Judd has helped a lot. I think I read somewhere that fasting stabilizes blood sugar because your blood glucose isn't going up (when you eat) and down, up and down...even when the "up" is very little, it is still rising. However when you fast, it just stays put... or so I think that's the idea. Anyways, in the beginning, for the same reasons as you state, I was eating little amounts throughout the day as much as possible. However I have found that what is working better for me is just coffee in the am and then not eating until absolutely necessary. Some days that's 2pm, some days 5pm, rarely earlier like noon. At noon I usually get a little hunger pain but if I ignore it, my hunger dissipates almost completely for most of the day. Drink lots of water, herbal tea if you need it. And don't deprive yourself on UD.

Also try to look at DD as a positive thing - it's carefree (you don't have to plan so many meals) and it's a rest for your body and digestive system (at least I feel like it is).

Good luck!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I agree with the others. The most important thing is to respect your numbers, both UD and DD if at all possible. The best tool that helped me do that was to track EVERYTHING, and I put it into my tracker BEFORE I put it in my mouth. Now that I'm in maintenance, I've relaxed quite a bit, but in WLM, that was absolutely essential to my success.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
The best tool that helped me do that was to track EVERYTHING, and I put it into my tracker BEFORE I put it in my mouth.
I couldn't agree more!

I figure out what im going to eat days ahead on UDs. The less thinking u have to do when your hungry the better. I get hungry on DDs when I'm thinking about feeding my UD!
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Tracking for sure. Lower DDs can facilitate slightly higher UDs. My philosophy has been that if I'm eating so little on DDs anyway, a little further reduction isn't a big deal and I can really enjoy my UDs. Full disclosure - I'm currently doing a maintenance break due to diet fatigue with higher DDs, but only after a year and a half of serious dieting, 8 months of which have been JUDDD.
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote