Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   23 weeks on JUDDD and 20 lbs lost (after DDs) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/803859-23-weeks-juddd-20-lbs-lost-after-dds.html)

Librarygirl 05-10-2013 05:22 PM

23 weeks on JUDDD and 20 lbs lost (after DDs)

Just chatting about my progress or lack thereof...Happy with most of the aspects of this plan, except the incredibly slow loss. I think I need to eat much less than 1800 eod in order to lose like the other JBs who are losing so well. My DDs are usually less than 400, so I am getting the correct swing, but UDs are usually around 2000. I think if I commit to 1600-1700 UDs, if I go over I might just go up to 1800, which is where I'm supposed to be. Starting at 1800 and allowing a "little" more, is not working. I have not lost more than 3 lbs a month since the beginning (where I lost the initial six lbs). I LOOK slimmer, and I'm wearing smaller clothes, but my waist hasn't gone lower than 34.2 in about 2.5 months. I think the inches are coming off of my lower body more now, but I never measured it so I can't say....I know my pants are very loose in the legs, so that speaks for itself. My hips have lost at the same rate as my waist, so they are at 44 and I'm maintaining an hour-glass shape. ;) I guess I was dreaming when I thought I'd be at around 150 by now...or at least 160. As it is, I can't seem to get out of the blasted 80s. So, I'm taking a few days to regroup, eat without thinking about DDs, and MAYBE a potato hack starting next week. I put two bags of potatoes in my grocery cart yesterday and was pushing away from the produce section with a third bag (of potatoes) when I thought to myself, this is ridiculous. :D I may not even be able to stick to it, and they may all rot. Anyway, it's something I've got on the back burner to try.

Thanks for listening. I love being here, and I just hope I can stay and finally celebrate getting to goal one day with all of you.:hugs:

ETA: That is, 26 lbs lost from my highest weight last June 2012, and 17 of them on JUDDD. WTH, I just realized it's only 17 lbs lost in 23 weeks!:cry::mad:

Mamatomany 05-10-2013 06:04 PM

It is the south carolina water...i'm telling you! :console:

KeirasMom 05-10-2013 06:08 PM

:hugs: I'm in a bit of a funk myself, so I totally understand. :hugs:

Trigger828 05-11-2013 04:34 AM

It sounds like your UP days have to be handled.

It seems the UP day is your problem. I know some experienced JUDDDers came comment on how to best handle an UP day. there has to be tips and tricks to control it.

the UP UP AND AWAY day is what scares me. If you have alot of those the losses are not going to happen as best as we would like.

Librarygirl 05-11-2013 05:28 AM

The truth is, I'm eating about like some of the people who are losing at twice the rate I am. I am going to have to be a whole lot more strict because of this peri meno thing, I guess. My metabolism has slowed to the rate of a snail, it seems.

Trigger828 05-11-2013 05:33 AM

I am right in front of menapause also. finally the hot flashes have subsided a bit since eating cleaner. that was a plus. I just work thru it best I can. being 51 I am not going to have the usual vigor of a 20 year old and I get that (finally :))

you know in my reality you are doing very well I think.

tofucheez 05-11-2013 05:33 AM

Cindy-

I despise the snail metabolism! I am super active, and it amazes me how few calories can fuel my body to do everything in a day. I mean, in long past eras, when food was scarce, it would definitely be an advantage, but nowadays, when food is plentiful and eating is enjoyable, a slow metabolism is a HUGE downer! So no advice here, just empathy....I feel ya. I could never eat what many others do without instantly ballooning up. Boo.

Hopefulsweigh 05-11-2013 05:43 AM

Cindy
I am a slow loser as well:mad:,.
For what it's worth, I think you are doing great. :up: Taking breaks is important, it helps you keep going.
My break was 3 months, and it made me realize how much JUDDD works for me, regardless of the slow losses.
I hope you feel rejuvenated after your break! :hugs:

Librarygirl 05-11-2013 05:52 AM

How can about 2 lbs a month be good? I appreciate everyone saying I'm doing well, but the numbers don't lie. I hope a few days off will work, but now I'm afraid of gaining back the measley amount I've lost after working so hard for six months!! Eight months if you count the two months I was doing LC right before I jumped into JUDDD. :(

ETA: It averages to 3.25 a month, counting all 8 months...which will be here on 5/13. That is, IF I can get down another 3 lbs that I've put on, over my low. ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! I guess I just don't want it bad enough to do what it takes.

Kismet311 05-11-2013 05:57 AM

Librarygirl, at my TOPS meetings they always say that half a pound a week is good. Losing slowly means you have more of a chance of keeping it off for good. I lost .2 last week for a total of 1 pound in 2 weeks. I think of it this way...I did not gain a pound in 2 weeks!! We all wish we could lose more quickly but I know in my case it just does not happen all the time. Your signature says do not give up on your dream! 6 months have passed...and you are not the weight you started at. I think that's an accomplishment!

Librarygirl 05-11-2013 06:19 AM

Thank you, Kismet. I am greedy. :D

Trigger828 05-11-2013 07:34 AM

LOL you are not greedy.
you are tired of it all. We all know that phase of any losing weight plan.

that is true, ya gotta read your sig. line. 'just because of the length of time it will take to accompish it. time will pass anyway'---that really is so true!!

everyone wants it gone NOW. I sure do. I know I will be posting just like you some day saying--when will this be over and I can get into maintenance. believe me that post will happen :)

Hopefulsweigh 05-11-2013 07:41 AM

It's hard watching others lose at a much faster pace then you, especially when your are doing the same darn thing :mad:. At this "delicate" time of life many women gain :dunno:. You are losing :jumpjoy: Hormones suck! :down:

Deen73 05-11-2013 07:49 AM

LibraryGirl, you may have already addressed this issue and/or had it checked out, but from some things you've said in previous posts, I'm wondering if you have either a hormonal imbalance or simply low levels in certain hormones. That can REALLY slow down weight loss. It's something we go through at "our age" and is one of the reasons it's so much harder to lose weight in our 40's than our 20's. I know I have this issue (low estrogen -- but for some, estrogen dominance causes the same effects) and I can tell because, although I am able to lose some weight (at the pace of a leisurely snail), I am still positively HOARDING bellyfat. I swear, my middle is thicker now than when I was on the pill but 10 pounds heavier. Personally, I am counting the days until my bioidentical hormone therapy appointment -- hoping to end this problem once and for all. Might be something for you to look into. Good luck!

Carly 05-11-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16419183)
My DDs are usually less than 400, so I am getting the correct swing, but UDs are usually around 2000. I think if I commit to 1600-1700 UDs, if I go over I might just go up to 1800, which is where I'm supposed to be. Starting at 1800 and allowing a "little" more, is not working.

This sounds like a good plan. Do you plan everything ahead of time and track, track, track? I know you can do it, but you may have to be super careful about the sneaky extra calories which can add up fast. You mention "grazing" from time to time. Maybe just restrict yourself to 3 meals and no snacks to bump up weight loss. You can do it and you probably already know where you can tighten things up. :hugs:

Flutter 05-11-2013 08:19 AM

LG, I'm sorry. It breaks my heart that you are frustrated. It is so hard when your mind is so focused on a goal, you feel you're doing everything you can to get there, and it's not happening as you'd like it to. I would be really upset, too, in your shoes. You know I vent when I slow down because we all want the weight gone NOW! It's hard work and you just want some dang results to show for it. I totally get it. :hugs:

I am always looking for your calories on the daily WL thread. You are currently doing 1800/400? I know you don't want to lower DD at all, huh? I wish you could try it for a bit. When I recalculated my numbers and tried eating 400 calories on DD, I stalled. I am able to eat a bit MORE on UD now but have to keep my DD fasting to do so. If I couldn't lower DD at all, I would stick religiously to the calculated UD numbers and see if you get a drop. Huge huge hugs to you. I understand how much it sucks and how maddening the "game" is. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps0d779c66.gif

calichris 05-11-2013 09:09 AM

Cindy, as you know I'm right there with you in being frustrated by slower weight loss. You and I should not lose sight, though, of the fact that if we weren't doing JUDDD, we would most likely either be maintaining/slowly-but-steadily gaining or doing some other diet for a couple months then gaining it back and then some. So no matter how much faster we'd like to lose, by hanging in there this long we are WAY AHEAD my friend!

Still, I think that getting frustrated shows that we either need to adjust something or take a break or both.

Are you exercising, by the way? It adds another element that can lead to some unpredictability on the scale, but if your metabolism is slowing down it can help! Especially weight training/intervals. :up:

Librarygirl 05-11-2013 01:20 PM

Thanks I'm really tired of complaining. I feel like such a downer. Reading this makes me want to eat a cupcake. :D

Deen, what specifically have I said (besides not losing fast) that makes you think I might have a hormonal imbalance? I'm just asking because I would like to look into it. Could it be my emotions? ;)

Flutter, you may have a very good point. If I could go way lower on DDs, it might help a lot!

Carly, you know what needs to be done and you do it. :) I guess I've never been a stickler...which is why I got to 200 lbs, lol. I appreciate your loving guidance nonetheless.

Chris, you're so right. If I hadn't found JUDDD, I probably would still be over 200 lbs. This is the only diet I've ever been able to stick with, so even if it takes years to get to goal, at least I'm going down. Sometimes it's difficult to keep that thought in the forefront. Thanks for the reminder.:hugs:

Thanks to all of you for taking the time, once again, to support and encourage me. It's really helping, whether it shows or not. ;) :hugs::hugs:

Flossyliz 05-11-2013 01:33 PM

Cindy, I hit 126.6 as a new low on April 12th. It's taken me till May 9th to lose another pound. That's if you overlook the fact that I was 127.4 this morning. :o

Apart from my first month on JUDDD, when I lost a record total of 3.5lbs, most months I've only lost one or two pounds, if any.

What struck me was that you've lost an awesome 17lbs while JUDDDing. :clap: That's 17 gone that don't need to return! :jumpjoy:

It's unlikely you'd have lost 17lbs on low cal because it's virtually impossible to do low cal for six months - and those do who succeed, give themselves health problems. Besides, after normal low cal weight loss, the pounds usually bounce straight back on - and bring a few friends with them too!

I suspect you're right about your UD numbers. I hope you can make that work for you. I'd hate you to go backwards after all your hard work.

We're all here to cheer you on. :heart:

PS: I just discovered that I was writing this while you posted yours.

tofucheez 05-11-2013 02:26 PM

Does visualization help you? What I mean is.......imagine you throw in the towel. Say "screw it!" I'm gonna eat whatever because this stupid diet isn't working. I'm suffering for nothing!!!

So....imagine what would happen. You'd most likely gain everything back and more, right?

Now, imagine how you'd feel THEN about the spot you're in NOW. You'd give anything to be back at this place, seventeen pounds lighter, wouldn't you? What would you advise your "now" self to do? Probably to be nice to yourself, take a little maintenance break, then get back at it.

Does this make any sense? It's like the saying, you never know what you have til it's gone.

And not to be insensitive, but maintaining one's weight is typically a lifelong struggle. It takes constant monitoring and adjusting as necessary. It's not like a person gets to goal and then it's over and an eating free-for-all.

But I wish it were :)

Librarygirl 05-11-2013 02:33 PM

I get what you're saying, tofu. It does help to visualize. :) I never for once considered quitting for good, though. I never want to go back to that sad place again. I just get frustrated and discouraged, and need to vent. ;) I know I will have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life, and I am ok with that. 2 DDs a week is fine with me. In fact, I wouldn't mind doing what I'm doing now (though it won't make me quit anyway), if I were steadily losing. Anyway, you all get it. You're here and you know. Love you all!

DeltaBigBoy 05-12-2013 02:27 AM

Just want to add that depending how or what your using to track/add up your daily calories could be a culprit too. I don't use anybody else's foods entered for tracking. I find many of them way way off. So if your tracking your calories online using foods that someone else entered, check them for accuracy.

Like Flutter mentioned dropping the DD calories are a great way to lower your overall calorie deficit without lowering your metabo. Please keep in mind the point of UDs are to trick your body to keep it from going into starvation/diet mode by eating over your daily expenditure. Becareful not to lower them to much. Last year when I was doing just a plain old calorie deficit diet I stalled and dropped really slow and as soon as I upped my intake I lost faster.

Librarygirl 05-12-2013 05:44 AM

Kettleboy, that's good advice. Seems like no matter how many times I hear it, it takes on a new meaning as I become more knowledgable about this woe. I do see where it would be better to keep UD calories as is, and only drop DDs...or at least try that at first.

I am back down to my low after 3 UDs this morning. Strange how it works like that. :) I think I was a few hundred under my typical UD calories, at least yesterday.

Sirtain 05-12-2013 07:00 AM

Do you still do low-carb? If not, perhaps your insulin sensitivity is slowing you down. And, given your recent 3Up experience, is it possible you are eating too LITTLE on your Up days, not too MUCH?

Hang in there.

Librarygirl 05-12-2013 07:18 AM

Sirtain, I track my calories on UDs all the way to over, lol. At least most of the time. Yesterday I think I was under 1500 calories...I fasted until after 3 pm, and lost a lot of water weight too, even before bed. So, not sure if I'm eating less now and that's why it's going down, or the opposite.

Librarygirl 05-13-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16420812)
Kettleboy, that's good advice. Seems like no matter how many times I hear it, it takes on a new meaning as I become more knowledgable about this woe. I do see where it would be better to keep UD calories as is, and only drop DDs...or at least try that at first.

I am back down to my low after 3 UDs this morning. Strange how it works like that. :) I think I was a few hundred under my typical UD calories, at least yesterday.

Sorry Delta, I did not mean to call you by the wrong name. :)

adillenal 05-13-2013 04:31 AM

I am a believer in super low DD's because that has allowed me to eat more on UD's. And yes I lost SLOWLY but this turtle is at my goal weight and maintaining. I had months during that time where I did not lose a single ounce either but I kept on. Eating super low DD's and allowing for higher UD's allowed me to enjoy every other day and to stick with this and to succeed. Different approaches work for different people so it is a trial and error type of thing finding you special spot in the program.
Good luck with your journey and you can and will succeed just like the rest of us maintainers.

Kimmietoo 05-13-2013 06:51 AM

Dear sweet Cindy,

How frustrating it is to work so hard and not see the success that we know we deserve. You are justifiably disappointed at the slow weight loss.

I agree with Deen; peri-menopause/menopause is a very tough time and a hormonal workup is an excellent idea. Anything that can help you during this transition time is worthwhile pursuing and we all know that this time in our lives makes it much more difficult to shed the pounds. Don't forget we have numerous success stories here that show us it can be done, even so. (Adi and Chrissa come to mind; there are others, too.)

Interval exercise immediately before breaking your fast with a high protein snack or meal makes a very significant difference for me personally in the amount of weight that I lose. I am not alone in this. Give it a try..it's easy and free!

Potato hacks work for some to jump start a stall.

Carbohydrate restriction/limitation provides relief from hunger and other benefits for some of us.

Maintenance breaks can provide needed relief from diet fatigue.

Supplements like Ptero and Resveratrol help some of us.

There are many ways to tweak or improve how JUDDD works for us individually.

HUG HUG HUG! We are here for you!

Kimmie:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Genie80 05-13-2013 07:03 AM

Keep at it Cindy, I seem to be losing 2 lbs then gaining the same damn 2 lbs it is so frustrating but I know I'm not putting on any more which *is* a good thing!

Librarygirl 05-13-2013 07:06 AM

I've been doing this a long time, so I do know most of the hacks. ;) I've tried PH a few times, but not for more than one day at a time. I've been taking ptero for nearly six months too. I don't limit my carbohydrates which may help with hunger on UDs, if I decide to do that.

What I have noticed since I've been taking a break (no DD since last Wed.) is that I'm not eating as much nor as hungry, as each day off plan goes on. I'm beginning to think over-eating and the constant urge to eat something else on UDs is directly related to DDs.

Also, I am only up 1 lb from my lowest, exactly. This, after a pretty big dinner with family on Mother's Day and no restrictions. I still think I might have averaged lower calories than on a regular UD. On my regular rotations I am up 2-3 lbs every other day without fail.