Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Slow loss, need BUDDD wisdom

Hello BUDDDs!

May 26th marks one year since I started trying to lose weight (although I started with carb cycling, and my JUDDDiversary isn't until July 7th).

The good: I've lost 62 pounds. I'm lower than I've been in years. Onederland is in sight. I'm no longer "morbidly obese." And, I've stuck to it for one whole year. That is a long time!

The frustrating: I still want to lose 76 more pounds, and my rate of loss has slowed. In the last 3 months, I've averaged 3.5 pounds loss a month even though really stepping up the effort, lowering calories and counting consistently and exercising more. I'm glad I'm losing, but at this rate it will take me 20 more months to reach my goal ... and that's if I don't slow down even more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that I am still doing this, still losing, not gaining anything back. Even if I didn't lose another pound, I am so much better off than I was. It just seems that at 211 pounds I should be able to lose more than this if I am really counting and exercising as I am. If 3500 calories equals a pound, I am in enough of a calorie deficit just in eating calories alone to lose 1.5 pounds a week, and it should be more because of my exercise, so why am I seeing half of that on the scale? I've tried different mini-tweaks, from just at/slighly below the JUDDD calorie calculator says for my current weight at the no exercise setting, to the light exercise numbers with very low down days, and now trying three day rotations (UD DD MD)... nothing seems to speed things up. Is it a phase? Long termers, did you go through lulls and then pick the pace back up again?

I could go into maintenance for a bit in case my body just wants a break, but really I just want to pick up the pace a little. Any advice?

Last edited by calichris; 05-10-2013 at 01:23 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm probably not the best to give advice right now, since I'm struggling with my own maintenance.

However, it sounds like your body is really asking for a maintenance break. If it's not going to cooperate with you even with ALL that effort you're putting in (and I know you've been going over and above!), perhaps it's time to quit trying so hard, take a break, accept that you won't lose for a month, and see what happens. As a side note, the couple of times I did that, I still lost, so I'd love if that happens for you! I stuck to my UD numbers and used the 50% DD numbers when I did it.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I feel for you Chris. I am losing even more slowly than you. One lb in 2 months. I'm just going to take a break and stop dieting altogether. I may do LC. Gaining and losing the same 2-3 lbs of water weight eod is no fun. Sorry I can't offer any better advice.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm right there with you Christina. My losses have slowed too, and I still have about 70 more I'd like to lose. Some days I'm frustrated, other days I'm resigned. I've been thinking about options, including a maintenance break. Dawn is a good ambassador for the maintenance break, and it's tempting. I just wanted to have good losses going into the summer, so I'd feel better about breaking out some more summery type clothes. But if that is not to be this summer, it will be for the next.

I'll look forward to hearing from more of the JBs on their perspective and experiences. Thanks for posting this question!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I can't be sure for you, but one thing about my food.

If I allow heavier carbs and a bit of junk in my UP day, even though there is a calorie deficit, I still do not lose like I would if I was eating healthier foods.

it works that way in my body for some reason. carbs nail me hard. So if I eat a bagel, some bread, fried food or heavier meat like pork chops and then real ice cream (all in my calorie range), I will not lose the same as if I eat eggs, salad, veggie dishes, leaner meats and a sugar free treat.

I say work the food on the UP days to the best of your ability and see if that helps.

I haven't been on plan long but even on my atkins it was all about the food choices I put into my body on how fast that scale would treat me nice.

hope some of that helps.

and I sure understand the frustration! it is tough!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
You've lost a lot of weight Chris. I think it's natural for our bodies to start clinging to those pounds after a while. Taking a break, or trying a different woe for a little while might do the trick! And will probably take the stress off your mind.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm probably not the best to give advice right now, since I'm struggling with my own maintenance.

However, it sounds like your body is really asking for a maintenance break.
Dawn, I love your advice ... and you have the "at goal and maintaining" experience to back it up! I do feel like the bod is saying, "I see what you're trying to do, but sorry. not happening." One month I only lost two pounds, but I was doing "JUDDD light" so I was happy with that. I'm not happy when I'm doing everything I know how to do and not getting the results! I'm mulling over the short term maintenance idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I feel for you Chris. I am losing even more slowly than you. One lb in 2 months. I'm just going to take a break and stop dieting altogether. I may do LC. Gaining and losing the same 2-3 lbs of water weight eod is no fun. Sorry I can't offer any better advice.
Oh, Cindy! I so relate to your frustration. Have you thought about maintenance? I think a break sounds like just what you need, but it concerns me a little to hear "stop dieting altogether" (unless you're on some kind of a maintenance plan?) I just don't want to see you give back any hard-won ground. 26 pounds is a lot, and even if we are not losing as fast as we would like, not regaining is really such a win in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I've been thinking about options, including a maintenance break. Dawn is a good ambassador for the maintenance break, and it's tempting. I just wanted to have good losses going into the summer, so I'd feel better about breaking out some more summery type clothes. But if that is not to be this summer, it will be for the next.
We are so in this together, my friend! It does help to know that other people go through similar things. Hopefully we will figure out a way to get the ball rolling again, whether it's taking a maintenance break or something else.

Last edited by calichris; 05-10-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
If I allow heavier carbs and a bit of junk in my UP day, even though there is a calorie deficit, I still do not lose like I would if I was eating healthier foods.
That is great that you have noticed that correlation! Other people have noticed this too, but I neglected to add that one of my recent tweaks was low carb and much healthier choices, and I lost nothing for 3 weeks. Meanwhile, back in the fall, I was losing 7-8 pounds a month eating pastries on up days? It seems like my body is kind of resistant to everything I try right now!

Last edited by calichris; 05-10-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Dawn, I love your advice ... and you have the "at goal and maintaining" experience to back it up! I do feel like the bod is saying, "I see what you're trying to do, but sorry. not happening." One month I only lost two pounds, but I was doing "JUDDD light" so I was happy with that. I'm not happy when I'm doing everything I know how to do and not getting the results! I'm mulling over the short term maintenance idea.

Oh, Cindy! I so relate to your frustration. Have you thought about maintenance? I think a break sounds like just what you need, but it concerns me a little to hear "stop dieting altogether" (unless you're on some kind of a maintenance plan?) I just don't want to see you give back any hard-won ground. 24 pounds is a lot, and even if we are not losing as fast as we would like, not regaining is really such a win in itself.

We are so in this together, my friend! It does help to know that other people go through similar things. Hopefully we will figure out a way to get the ball rolling again, whether it's taking a maintenance break or something else.
Yes, I will probably try to keep it at a maintenance level, and I won't stop dieting for long. Probably no more than a week. And it's 26 lbs!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
You've lost a lot of weight Chris. I think it's natural for our bodies to start clinging to those pounds after a while. Taking a break, or trying a different woe for a little while might do the trick! And will probably take the stress off your mind.
Good advice deedee. You've lost a lot yourself! Have you experienced a lull yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Yes, I will probably try to keep it at a maintenance level, and I won't stop dieting for long. Probably no more than a week. And it's 26 lbs!
Yes! It is 26! I knew it was around there, but I want to give you the credit that is due. I went back and changed it. OK, I am not concerned anymore. One week sounds like a lovely break.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Good advice deedee. You've lost a lot yourself! Have you experienced a lull yet?
After 50 pounds on low carb, I stopped losing, right at the cusp of Onederland. And I think I was mentally burned out on low carb. Then I found JUDDD! And my loss has definitely slowed since then, but I attribute that to my own UUAD's getting in the way. Which maybe was a good thing, because this week I've been sticking to my numbers and I think it's working.

I remember reading an old post here on the JUDDD form where someone (wish I could remember who) said she had a friend who would go from diet plan to diet plan. As soon as she got diet fatigue, she'd move on to a new plan, and it worked for her to lose and then also maintain.

I love JUDDD, but I've never had one woe that could take me all the way to "thin" so I've always assumed I'd have to change it up somehow to get to goal. It might be adding very low carb back into the mix for a while, it might be a hack, or I might need a month to maintain and let my body know that we're staying this weight whether it likes it or not. I'm sure you'll find your solution. You've been so dedicated for so long now!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cali---you have lost wonderful.

have you been back on the JUDDD calculator to see if your numbers have changed?

did you get a new set of calcuations lately? just wondering
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Cali---you have lost wonderful.

have you been back on the JUDDD calculator to see if your numbers have changed?

did you get a new set of calcuations lately? just wondering
Thanks! I just recalculated my new numbers a couple months ago, and tried them and was still slow pokin' it. drat. Then I tried raising them back just a bit, no luck there either. The good thing is, I'm still losing, just not as quickly as it seems like I should be? (based on calories in, calories out)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

one thing I have heard and no one can really pinpoint exactly why is our bodies take a break. the old body does what it wants. key is you ride thru it til it is ready to start releasing again. many have long stalls, stay the course, and BAM one day wake up and the good losses are happening again.

maybe you are in that phantom time?
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Christina I took a maintenance break for most of the month of December to ward off diet fatigue. I fasted all day and had whatever I wanted for dinner and bed time snack. I held steady all month between 137-135 and on 1/2/13 went back to eod rotations and called goal in early February at 126! I so needed that maintenance break. Give it a try.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I have nothing constructive to add, except hugs & support. Sounds like great advice from our successful gals. You do whats best for you mentally & physically. Personally, I think it would be better to take a break, regroup & relax for a week or 2. As opposed to going so hard & being so frustrated that you just can't do it anymore, throw in the towel & say "To heck with it all!" and let all sense go out the window.
HUGS!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everybody! I this board.

OK, I am going to follow this advice and start doing a higher DD percentage for awhile, probably 35% - 50% range. This rest makes sense to me, because for each of the last three months I've gone in pushing extra hard, but haven't budged the scale for 2-3 weeks. The calories in/out and the scale do not even come close to matching. If I am not pushing so hard, it might be not only what my body seems to be asking for, but I won't be as let down if the scale doesn't move. I think this could be a good thing for me physically and mentally, and it will be fun!

Thanks again for the support.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
Christina- you already got great advise from everyone. I agree that mental break may do you good. Sometimes all we need is a small change to make a difference in how body burns calories. Even if you don't see a weight change, it is good mental break. Enjoy your higher DD calories
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Christina- you already got great advise from everyone. I agree that mental break may do you good. Sometimes all we need is a small change to make a difference in how body burns calories. Even if you don't see a weight change, it is good mental break. Enjoy your higher DD calories
Thanks! I'm going into it not expecting to lose anything, which isn't that different than how it is now. But I'm hoping that it will give my body the rest it apparently needs from losing weight.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Christina, just this morning I decided I need the break too, and I'll be joining you starting today. I think it'll take a bit of the pressure off on DDs, and hopefully UDs I can be careful to stick with my calories. I'm a little scared to gain, but I'll just have to watch it carefully. Here we go...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Sounds like a great plan to me!!! I have been keeping maintenance breaks in the back of my mind for when diet fatigue hits me hard. It always does for me! Plus, it's great practice for maintenance down the road! Yay!!! Keep us posted how things are going, ok?
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Christina, just this morning I decided I need the break too, and I'll be joining you starting today. I think it'll take a bit of the pressure off on DDs, and hopefully UDs I can be careful to stick with my calories. I'm a little scared to gain, but I'll just have to watch it carefully. Here we go...
You can do it girl!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
You can do it girl!!!!
Thanks friend! All the support here means everything!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks friend! All the support here means everything!
For sure!!! It's what keeps us all going!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LCG! Let's do it! How fun to be doing this together. I don't think think we will gain. I'm reluctant to slow down, but I'm slowing down no matter what I do, so I figure I might as well go with it. If we're lucky like Dawn we might even lose a bit. I'm not counting on it, but it could happen.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #26

Yes, it's nice to have a partner in this! I hope you're right, and it would be just great if we both had some little losses during this break.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Are you working out at a high intensity? I know that will give you different number on the scale. Are your clothes fitting better?

You might be adding muscle. The scale number isn't everything!

You've gotten lots of great advice, as usual. Best of luck in whatever you try...
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Are you working out at a high intensity? I know that will give you different number on the scale. Are your clothes fitting better?

You might be adding muscle. The scale number isn't everything!

You've gotten lots of great advice, as usual. Best of luck in whatever you try...
I'm hoping I'm adding muscle, but what I'm wondering is it seems as though at some point it should stabilize and the scale should be moving a bit more? I've been exercising all along, and I've increased it some in the last 3 months, but it wouldn't three months be enough time for the scale to catch up a little more? I don't know. I have lost inches, but it could be consistent with the 10 or so pounds I have lost in the three months. I'm still going to be doing rotations, just not pushing quite as hard.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I think this maintenance break will be what you both need! It's important emotionally and physically. I really think I slid into goal so easily because of my break in December. I know I was close to goal, but the last 10 flew off as fast as the first 10 did and I think that was from taking the break.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #30

I can't tell you how freeing it has been just making the decision to have this maintenance break. My weekend was relaxed, and I'm not having any stress this Monday DD. My mind really, really needed this! Thanks everyone!