Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Reducing Stomach Fat

This seems to be my biggest problem area I have had lots of babies, but still...is there something that can be done to have a flatter tummy. Been reading about reducing eating times down to a 6-8 hour window and that I guess shrinks your tummy? Still, I know I have read, no amount of situps will do it, but there has to be a trick of some kind?
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I wish! I've started hula hooping (though I haven't been consistent with it yet). I'm not sure what's going on with me. My weight is still in my maintenance range, but I feel like my stomach's getting bigger!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Yoga helps.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
I find that the only thing that ever worked with reducing my stomach was going low-carb (cutting out the wheat and the dairy). I always found my stomach was instantly flatter within 1-2 weeks. But unfortunately I loveee bread and milk wayyy too much lol to stick with it
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I think, under all the loose skin is the elusive flat stomach. I want a few nips and tucks to the stomach arms and thighs.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

You just wanna meet your 4th of July goals Carly ...oh wouldn't you love some nips and tucks. Some reomval of some areas and to put them in other areas
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Yoga helps.
I have to concur. I have never done yoga, but my sister, who is 64 and a grandmother has been doing yoga since I can remember. She wears junior size skinny jeans. It must work.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1 View Post
I find that the only thing that ever worked with reducing my stomach was going low-carb (cutting out the wheat and the dairy). I always found my stomach was instantly flatter within 1-2 weeks. But unfortunately I loveee bread and milk wayyy too much lol to stick with it
I'm actually considering a low carb "hack" for a couple of weeks to see if I can get my stomach a little better. Who would've thought I'd call low carb a "hack" a couple of years ago?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm actually considering a low carb "hack" for a couple of weeks to see if I can get my stomach a little better. Who would've thought I'd call low carb a "hack" a couple of years ago?
Haha yes . You will definitely notice it in the stomach! Definitely get your willpower and determination ready -- JUDDD spoils us with eating chocolate and wine haha. Let me know how it goes!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
From my reading, its my understanding that HCG specifically targets abdominal fat. I'm considering it for when I'm closer to goal but that's a long way off yet. And I'm not sure I can pull off the protocol but maybe...
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
This seems to be my biggest problem area I have had lots of babies, but still...is there something that can be done to have a flatter tummy. Been reading about reducing eating times down to a 6-8 hour window and that I guess shrinks your tummy? Still, I know I have read, no amount of situps will do it, but there has to be a trick of some kind?
I have no answers, so will keep an eye on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I wish! I've started hula hooping (though I haven't been consistent with it yet). I'm not sure what's going on with me. My weight is still in my maintenance range, but I feel like my stomach's getting bigger!
Me, too, Dawn!! I've gotten sloppy with my eating lately & have been having too much junk!!!! Even tho I'm still in my weight loss "range", my tummy feels bigger!! How is that possible?!?
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Kettlebell swing
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I just started yoga to reduce stress, but I've been told that it helps with belly fat as well.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #14

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I've ordered a weighted hula hoop, and if it's on schedule, it'll come tomorrow. I'm anxious to get started, but a little nervous about the bruising. I sure hope I can do it, and that it helps trim my waist and hips.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #15

No bruising for me, which makes me wonder if I'm not doing it right!

My gym has yoga classes. I think I'll look into them and check against my schedule. I also need to set some time aside to do the ab machines. I'm so bad about that. I really only go to classes at the gym.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sorry about my cryptic post yesterday. It sent itself before I'd finished writing it and I was in a rush!

I remembered that CLA is supposed to reduce belly fat.

In fact I've been taking it for several months
Something has certainly worked for me with JUDDD. Pre-JUDDD I was a classic apple shape. My belly isn't perfectly flat now, but it never has been, even when I was a skinny pre-babies teenager.
Eventually, loose skin will shrink to some extent.

Here's some info I found:
CLA Causes Abdominal Fat Loss
Lipid Nutrition is announcing the findings of a new human trial using CLA, that reinforces the fatty acid's fat mass reduction claim and shed light on the main locations of the fat reduction on the human body. The results, presented by Dr Sandra Einerhand, director nutrition and toxicology Europe, at Vitafoods in Geneva, reinforce the ingredient's promotional claim to be a body shaper – especially for the upper leg and abdomen areas.

..... The new placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind study was conducted at an independent research institute and involved 180 obese or overweight adults with a body mass index between 28 and 32. Over a six month period study subjects received either 3.4g of CLA each day, or a placebo (olive oil).

Dr Einerhand said that the results were already evident eight to 12 weeks into the study, but at the end of the six months the effect on fat mass was seen to be a decrease of around 4.4 pounds (2kg) compared to placebo. Lean body mass was seen to increase by an average of 1 pound (0.4kg) in the CLA group, over the placebo group.

But the area in which the study really shed light is the location of fat mass reduction – seen to be focused on the abdomen and the legs. This gives credence to the ingredient's promotional claims to be a body shaper.

In addition, the study provided more evidence for the safety of CLA over a long period: it was well-tolerated by all the participants over the six-month period.

The researchers also measured certain safety parameters, such as inflammatory and diabetagenic markers.

Also:
Conjugated Linoleic acids:

Decreases abdominal fat – adrenal imbalances and hormonal shifts that are common in thyroid patients frequently cause rapid accumulation of abdominal fat, so this product can be quite helpful.
Increases metabolic rate – it increases the metabolic rate in some people which helps to burn calories faster.
Enhances muscle growth – muscle burns fat by utilizing more calories which is useful in weight loss.
Lowers insulin resistance – insulin resistance leads to Diabetes. Lowering insulin resistance can help preventing adult-onset diabetes. Low insulin resistance means that muscles can use up calories faster so it makes it easier to lose weight.
Reduces food-induced allergic reactions – CLA can be very helpful in this aspect
Enhances the immune system – enhancing the immune system’s ability to function properly is a positive benefit which can be obtained by using CLA.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I have a hula hoop in the attic! Guess I'd best get it out! But, LCG, a weighted hula hoop? Tell me more!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
yeah try the CLA!

Also I love pilates, but I can't promise that it will work. All I know is for me, it's the best exercise to make your tummy areas hurt the next day.. and it's not that hard to do - anyone can do it, and as you get stronger, your form will get better. I really like Winsor pilates.
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
Kettlebell swing
YES! I totally agree with this....I stopped doing a lot of exercising with the exception of 1.5 hrs. advanced belt taekwondo class 3 times a week. I was kettlebelling, and doing the eliptical...stopped hoping to drop a few and then start b ack up
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I can't do the hula hoop lol. I start sashaying my hips and the hoola hoop falls to the floor. It's harder than it looks! Effortless when I was a child, but no more.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Sorry about my cryptic post yesterday. It sent itself before I'd finished writing it and I was in a rush!

I remembered that CLA is supposed to reduce belly fat.

In fact I've been taking it for several months
Something has certainly worked for me with JUDDD. Pre-JUDDD I was a classic apple shape. My belly isn't perfectly flat now, but it never has been, even when I was a skinny pre-babies teenager.
Eventually, loose skin will shrink to some extent.

Here's some info I found:
CLA Causes Abdominal Fat Loss
Lipid Nutrition is announcing the findings of a new human trial using CLA, that reinforces the fatty acid's fat mass reduction claim and shed light on the main locations of the fat reduction on the human body. The results, presented by Dr Sandra Einerhand, director nutrition and toxicology Europe, at Vitafoods in Geneva, reinforce the ingredient's promotional claim to be a body shaper – especially for the upper leg and abdomen areas.

..... The new placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind study was conducted at an independent research institute and involved 180 obese or overweight adults with a body mass index between 28 and 32. Over a six month period study subjects received either 3.4g of CLA each day, or a placebo (olive oil).

Dr Einerhand said that the results were already evident eight to 12 weeks into the study, but at the end of the six months the effect on fat mass was seen to be a decrease of around 4.4 pounds (2kg) compared to placebo. Lean body mass was seen to increase by an average of 1 pound (0.4kg) in the CLA group, over the placebo group.

But the area in which the study really shed light is the location of fat mass reduction – seen to be focused on the abdomen and the legs. This gives credence to the ingredient's promotional claims to be a body shaper.

In addition, the study provided more evidence for the safety of CLA over a long period: it was well-tolerated by all the participants over the six-month period.

The researchers also measured certain safety parameters, such as inflammatory and diabetagenic markers.

Also:
Conjugated Linoleic acids:

Decreases abdominal fat – adrenal imbalances and hormonal shifts that are common in thyroid patients frequently cause rapid accumulation of abdominal fat, so this product can be quite helpful.
Increases metabolic rate – it increases the metabolic rate in some people which helps to burn calories faster.
Enhances muscle growth – muscle burns fat by utilizing more calories which is useful in weight loss.
Lowers insulin resistance – insulin resistance leads to Diabetes. Lowering insulin resistance can help preventing adult-onset diabetes. Low insulin resistance means that muscles can use up calories faster so it makes it easier to lose weight.
Reduces food-induced allergic reactions – CLA can be very helpful in this aspect
Enhances the immune system – enhancing the immune system’s ability to function properly is a positive benefit which can be obtained by using CLA.
What is one more supplement right?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I can't do the hula hoop lol. I start sashaying my hips and the hoola hoop falls to the floor. It's harder than it looks! Effortless when I was a child, but no more.
Yes it is!! I didn't say I could do it; but, that I need to try again!! lol! Practice has to count for something, doesn't it??
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Shari, the discussion on weighted hula hoops is in this month's Exercise Check In thread.

My daughter says the answer is hula hooping, which causes the core to cinch but is a lot of fun and doesn't "feel" like exercise.

My son (who does teach some calisthenics as a fire captain) says the answer is push ups, which cause the core to strengthen and stabilize, while the arms and chest exert.

Both of these "experts" have tight, firm midsections.

Both of these "experts" are young and have never had babies or even learned to spell menopause, never really had much of a belly pooch to overcome. So are they really experts? Perhaps not so much!

I'm grateful for the belly-targeting moves in T-Tapp, although I will say you have to keep them up religiously to keep the benefits.

I tried The Flat Belly Diet back when Prevention came out with that book. There may have been some help there. But the meals with nuts and seeds were so hard on my stomach that when I found out what was causing the pain, I dumped the diet in order to get over the digestive distress. I think they did have good tips as far as the method of drinking water, the many things they suggested you avoid, and the positive advice on good fats. I'd say if anyone hasn't read it, it's a worthwhile library trip to find it.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
I have a hula hoop in the attic! Guess I'd best get it out! But, LCG, a weighted hula hoop? Tell me more!!
I have one of the weighted ones. They come is sections and go together BUT I am one that bruises like crazy with the weighted hula hoop. I look like I have been beat half to death. Maybe I just bruise easier than some. Need to up the vitamin C I guess.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Ug, I have a weighted hula hoop in my closet! Doesn't do me any good there!
A bunch of riders got into hula hooping as it builds core strength and mimics the movements your hips make while sitting the trot. Although your hips move a lot less when actually trying to sit the trot
Hence why I have one...and I have no excuse for it gathering dust.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Whitlin' for the tip on the exercise thread! I will check it out.

Adi, OUCH!!! That sounds painful!! So, you didn't do it long then? I bought my regular hula hoop at least a year ago. Since I didn't use it often, it was delegated to the attic! As for bruising, I take an aspirin everyday. Sometimes I bruise easily or not at all! Go figure!! Does Vit C really help with that?

Yennie, so interesting about using a hoop for horseback riding!! I've never ridden a horse. My knowledge is almost nil! But, I've always wanted to learn. At one time when our son was little, we had talked about horse riding therapy for him. But, we live so far away from the places that work with special needs kids, it didn't happen. He's never been able to sit by himself & I read that horseback riding was different & that he might be able to sit on a horse. Now that he's 25, it's probably too late to try it. He might be afraid of it now. Back then, he was such a happy little camper that he laughed at everything! Now, he is still as happy, still laughs alot; but, it much more cautious about new things. I love reading what you write about your horses!

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post

Yennie, so interesting about using a hoop for horseback riding!! I've never ridden a horse. My knowledge is almost nil! But, I've always wanted to learn. At one time when our son was little, we had talked about horse riding therapy for him. But, we live so far away from the places that work with special needs kids, it didn't happen. He's never been able to sit by himself & I read that horseback riding was different & that he might be able to sit on a horse. Now that he's 25, it's probably too late to try it. He might be afraid of it now. Back then, he was such a happy little camper that he laughed at everything! Now, he is still as happy, still laughs alot; but, it much more cautious about new things. I love reading what you write about your horses!
Ah, thanks! Sometimes I wonder if people think Will she just hush up already about those dang horses! And maybe someone does but, oh well!
Its really too bad you're too far away to try it. I've never been terribly involved in therapeutic riding from the human side of it, I've helped take care of the horses. But its incredibly beneficial. And it is quite different, absolutely NOTHING builds your core like riding correctly. The reason we do all these other things like hula hooping, planks, etc is to get some strength before finishing the product while riding. Otherwise you spend months flopping around like a fish on your horse's back & they hate you for it If you ever watch videos of the Olympic level riders, not the jumpers but the dressage riders, those movements can be incredibly bouncy - there is a lot of power there. And the riders Do. Not. Move! That's all core strength absorbing the bounce and keeping their hineys in the saddle. Us mere mortals, our cores fatigue and then our hips give out and legs start swinging or butts slap on the saddle - very unattractive. A fantastic pair to watch is Edward Gal & Totilas. The horse is a gigantic mover and Edward doesn't move at all.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #28

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Jen, no please don't stop talking about horses! I love hearing about it. I've only ridden a few times, but I loved it. Of course, I walked up to a saddled horse, got on, rode a couple of hours, slid off the saddle, patted the horse on the nose and walked away, and let someone else do all the work! Not real riding, I know!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Jen, no please don't stop talking about horses! I love hearing about it. I've only ridden a few times, but I loved it. Of course, I walked up to a saddled horse, got on, rode a couple of hours, slid off the saddle, patted the horse on the nose and walked away, and let someone else do all the work! Not real riding, I know!
Any time in the saddle is real riding.
They're pretty remarkable critters. I love having my guy at home. I wish the princess could be home as well but she still needs the special attention only our trainers can give her (she's still young) and we don't have our barn built yet. My old man is ok with roughing it. The princess...well, she's got that nickname for a reason. She WILL sleep inside at night, thank you very much and she WILL NOT share her pasture with cows, how dare you even suggest such a thing! She's just a little high maintenance.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I second that. don't shut up about the dang horses.
I raised horses for many years, jumped, trail riding and everything else with a horse. My last one passed from colic a few years ago and on the fence about getting another but lately we are traveling like crazy so I am putting it off.

Every time I see your avatar I smile! I am a horse nut to the max.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote