Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I grew up with horses as well, and have never had any formal training. We just rode for fun, out in the country. There's nothing better than riding through orchards and up and down embankments and canal beds (dry of course). I love hearing about "real" riders. I get my "fix" now on my scooter. Not the same of course, but it is faster.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I rode a horse once at Girlscout camp and I was TERRIFIED!!!! It was more than 25 years ago and I still remember. I love reading what you share about it. I'm way to scared to ever try again and I have to be very careful about my spine and hard jolts, but I did work with autisic children who were having therapeutic horse back riding and they really liked it.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
Well, I'm pretty much at my target weight (132# this AM, 5'7") - and I've had 6 babies (but the youngest is 28 yo, so I really didn't think that's an excuse any more!) - and I have a belly. I have a smallish waist (25") and over-large hips/rear (37.5"), and my belly makes clothes fit funny. If I remember to suck it in (HARD!) then it looks okay, but ...

I used to exercise every day (crunches, yoga poses, etc.) - now all I do is walk (10,000 steps/day min) and swim - I'll be watching this thread to see if someone comes up with a good, easy exercise that would target this area!

I just talked with one of my daughters - her personal trainer told her that hula hoops exercised the waist and sides, but didn't get the belly area???? He also suggested several exercises for her that are far too difficult for me (but she's only 35 yo).

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MelNouveau
Stats: 335/276/170(?), 5'11"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Ah, thanks! Sometimes I wonder if people think Will she just hush up already about those dang horses! And maybe someone does but, oh well!
Its really too bad you're too far away to try it. I've never been terribly involved in therapeutic riding from the human side of it, I've helped take care of the horses. But its incredibly beneficial. And it is quite different, absolutely NOTHING builds your core like riding correctly. The reason we do all these other things like hula hooping, planks, etc is to get some strength before finishing the product while riding. Otherwise you spend months flopping around like a fish on your horse's back & they hate you for it If you ever watch videos of the Olympic level riders, not the jumpers but the dressage riders, those movements can be incredibly bouncy - there is a lot of power there. And the riders Do. Not. Move! That's all core strength absorbing the bounce and keeping their hineys in the saddle. Us mere mortals, our cores fatigue and then our hips give out and legs start swinging or butts slap on the saddle - very unattractive. A fantastic pair to watch is Edward Gal & Totilas. The horse is a gigantic mover and Edward doesn't move at all.
Absolutely! I was never in better shape, especially in my core, than when I was a dressage rider. Sitting trot on big moving warmbloods = necessary core strength. Love your avatar, by the way! What a sweet looking horse. I think I heard you mention at some point that he is an Appendix QH? My 4-H/early dressage horse as a teen was Appendix, and I loved him to pieces.

Last edited by MelNouveau; 05-11-2013 at 11:29 PM..
MelNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shelly_S
Stats: 225/174/155 5'2" 45yr
WOE: 2/1/13 Shangri La (225lb); 3/13/13 JUDDD (215 lbs)
Start Date: 3/13/13 - 28 weeks on JUDDD - 41 lbs gone/51 total
I read on another forum (someone quoted a study but I can't find it now)that eating a cup of blueberries a day reduces belly fat and several people had excellent results trying that. I started trying that over a month ago and my waist has shrunk way more than any other area of my body and that's unusual for me. My tummy has always been a problem area for me. Plus, blueberries are a delicious super food! Can't hurt. So I eat a cup on UD's and half a cup on DD's.
Shelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNouveau View Post
Absolutely! I was never in better shape, especially in my core, than when I was a dressage rider. Sitting trot on big moving warmbloods = necessary core strength. Love your avatar, by the way! What a sweet looking horse. I think I heard you mention at some point that he is an Appendix QH? My 4-H/early dressage horse as a teen was Appendix, and I loved him to pieces.
Melissa,
Yup, he's an Appendix, APHA papers, actually. Which is funny if you see him in person. The princess is a Hanoverian. She's not ready for public yet
I'm trying to get him polished up for the full format at Rebecca & Champs at Aspen, then I'm probably going to retire him from competition. We'll foxhunt, school, hack out to stay fit but its hard for me to have 2 competition horses going & I really need to focus on her.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly_S View Post
I read on another forum (someone quoted a study but I can't find it now)that eating a cup of blueberries a day reduces belly fat and several people had excellent results trying that. I started trying that over a month ago and my waist has shrunk way more than any other area of my body and that's unusual for me. My tummy has always been a problem area for me. Plus, blueberries are a delicious super food! Can't hurt. So I eat a cup on UD's and half a cup on DD's.
This is interesting Shelly! I love blueberries, so it wouldn't be hard for me to eat those everyday! I keep them in the freezer, too! I'll keep you posted. Keep us informed on how they continue to help you?
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MelNouveau
Stats: 335/276/170(?), 5'11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Melissa,
Yup, he's an Appendix, APHA papers, actually. Which is funny if you see him in person. The princess is a Hanoverian. She's not ready for public yet
I'm trying to get him polished up for the full format at Rebecca & Champs at Aspen, then I'm probably going to retire him from competition. We'll foxhunt, school, hack out to stay fit but its hard for me to have 2 competition horses going & I really need to focus on her.
Very cool! I have tons of respect for people like yourself who do eventing. It's such an athletic endeavor! Good luck at your events, and good luck also with your mare.
MelNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I got into yoga, but I haven't been doing it lately. I got lazy I'm going to get back into it though!

Interesting about the blueberries! I love them! I think I will start eating them daily.

As far as hula hooping, I may start doing that too! I wonder if it still counts if you do it on the wii fit...lol. Seriously, I will get one though

Last edited by Demonica; 05-12-2013 at 12:04 PM..
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I got into yoga, but I haven't been doing it lately. I got lazy I'm going to get back into it though!

Interesting about the blueberries! I love them! I think I will start eating them daily.

As far as hula hooping, I may start doing that too! I wonder if it still counts if you do it on the wii fit...lol. Seriously, I will get one though
I vote yes to the Wii fit counting! Hula hooping is one of the hardest ones on there, in my opinion.

Thanks Melissa!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
YES! I totally agree with this....I stopped doing a lot of exercising with the exception of 1.5 hrs. advanced belt taekwondo class 3 times a week. I was kettlebelling, and doing the eliptical...stopped hoping to drop a few and then start b ack up
If I were female, and could do only one exercise it would be the kettlebell Swing, looks easy but far from it, start light, get form right and do as many as you can every other day. Just do the basic two handed swing. I have never seen results to rival it on the female form. Works for Men, but differently...
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #42
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
what is the "kettleball swing"????
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Glad you are having success with the kettlebell. I bruised the heck out of myself with my kettlebell too. (like the weighted hula hoop) I am just dangerous with fitness equipment. I use my kettle bell for a door stop now.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #44

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Glad you are having success with the kettlebell. I bruised the heck out of myself with my kettlebell too. (like the weighted hula hoop) I am just dangerous with fitness equipment. I use my kettle bell for a door stop now.
It really is amazing what useful things exercise equipment can turn into, isn't it. I never had such a great clothesline as my stationery bike. And the mini-tramp was also a great sweater dryer.

But seriously, I'm interested in the kettlebell. I'm to receive my hula hoop tomorrow (evidently it got hung up somewhere in the Midwest) and I can't wait to see how that goes. I hope well, because I really can't think of a good alternate use for that thing!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
LCG, I guess it would make an outsize Christmas wreath?

Demonica, the wii fit hula hooping doesn't leave bruises - needs less space too!

Kettlebells look brilliant but far too strenuous for me I'm afraid.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #46

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Yes! Great, I feel much better - it will never go to waste now!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
what is the "kettleball swing"????
Difficult o explain, YouTube your best place to see
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote