Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Anyone remember this show?

‘Ruby’ Today: Reality Star Dishes on Show’s Failure - ABC News

Ruby. the lady with a weight loss challenge who did a tv show?

I wondered what happened? found that link and it sure surprised me.
never watched it full on but would catch parts of it. I had no idea all that went down.

I could never lose weight on a tv show. I don't have it in me to share that journey.

just chatting and seeing everyone's views on shows like this.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
All that pressure she was under . . . I totally would have rebelled.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I never heard of this show, but that's a sad story. I can't imagine the pressure she was under. I've heard most of the Biggest Loser contestants gain all their weight back after the show is over too, because setting that kind of deadline, and the do-or-die mentality causes binges afterward.

I am intrigued by her being able to trick the scale 30 pounds or so by leaning one way or another.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I saw one episode of Biggest Loser. Eating food substitutes and working out like a maniac might get the pounds off but it doesn't educate them to deal with real life and real food.

Ruby's story reminds me of Brain Over Binge and why conventional ways of dealing with eating disorders tend to make them worse!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

yea, throwing the scale by 30 lbs. by leaning. I can't see that working but apparently it can be done??

I can't imagine the emotional wreckage from doing a show like that. must be horrible.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I remember that show. I never watched it, but saw a few minutes here and there. It's very sad, but I'm glad she's working at it again. I think the worst thing in the world would be to have everyone watching your every move and screw-up.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
As unhappy as she is, I hope she returned the friggin' money. She had a choice and she took it. Now all the complaints. I wonder how much she whined while spending her money? Looks like she wants to stay in the lime-light.

I personally marvel at those on that program and root them on all the way!
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
As unhappy as she is, I hope she returned the friggin' money. She had a choice and she took it. Now all the complaints.
What money do you mean? Did she win money for losing weight or something?
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I followed her story early on. I never watched the show. As large as she is, that is how she was able to lean and flux the numbers. She was/is not just heavy, she is beyond morbidly obese. From what I understand, she went for the show thinking it may help. I am not sure why she thought it would. I too would cave at the pressure. My heart goes to anyone her size. At that point it isn't about FOOD at all!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

thing is at her weight it is a tv show. that big. but a person losing only 75 or more, even up to 150 lbs even just isn't entertainment worthy and that is just sad. She had massive weight to lose.

I wonder if she ever tried surgery? never saw it mentioned. from what was mentioned tho they gave her massive support in therapist, trainers and doctors.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I used to watch that show. She was very sweet and entertaining. She had a lot of emotional issues, although I can't remember exactly what they were related to - something in her past. I remember the shows where she was dealing with her issues in therapy and she started remembering things from her childhood... really sad.

I'm glad she got back on the wagon!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Never saw it but reading the link was kinda sad. I am glad she's on the road to health without cameras following her every move.
Just my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of this flavor of reality tv anyway. (Ok, actually, I dislike all reality tv.) I feel like its taking people's pain and putting it on display for an entertainment value. Things like Hoarders, Intervention, the weight loss shows. I'm sure they started out, somewhere, with a concept of helping people. And maybe they do help some people who would not otherwise get help. But, on the rare occasions when I do watch Hoarders, I can't help but think Did that psychologist/professional just ask/say/do that because its the clinically right thing to do, or to get a big reaction for the camera? I'm not a Hoarding expert or a mental health professional so I don't know the answer but I can't help but think that the "cast" of those shows - the core helpers who are there every week, don't stir the pot some what. And I think that's sad.
But I guess we're humans...someone else's pain has been human entertainment since probably before the lions & Christians battled it out in the Coliseum...

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I feel the same about" reality" shows. To me, they're often not actually real, just voyeurism at its lowest, depending on the editing and the goals of the producers.

Some, where you see the participants genuinely blossom and gain confidence are wonderful - but it's still a high price to pay.

We currently have a hoarders series showing in the UK and the participants get a lot of very expensive therapy in exchange for revealing the sensational mess in their homes.

So, it depends on the approach. Whether just to sensationalise or to genuinely help, at the cost of some lowest common denominator tv. Tricky! The saddest part is that it's so popular.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote