Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   UD Thursday: menu and plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/803726-ud-thursday-menu-plans.html)

SlowSure 05-09-2013 02:37 AM

UD Thursday: menu and plans

Nearly at the weekend when it will be time for me to kayak. :jumpjoy: It's the gym tonight and I must try and eat a substantial snack for that.

B: rhubarb compote with low-fat coconut milk (approx. 100kcals); poached egg (90kcals) and goat sausage (90kcals). Total=280kcals

L: feta cheese (120kcals) with celery, olives, HM dried tomato, HM dried kale (80kcals). Total=200kcals

D: beef burger (210kcals) with anchovy-dressed broccoli (120kcals) and charred peppers (30kcals). Total=390kcals

Total of 870kcals for the day which gives me a large enough allowance for a very substantial snack before the gym and some more rhubarb with strawberry sauce for pudding after dinner.

Silverrain 05-09-2013 03:56 AM

Have fun with your kayaking, SS! I hope the weather is beautiful for you and you have a wonderful time. :)

As usual, I am unsure about my food for the day. I really need to plan things out a bit more, and that will be my goal for next week. I'll take this weekend to plan out my rotations and food menus.

B: Coffee, tbsp half and half.
L: Soup, most likely.
D: I think I would like a big salad. Trivia tonight, which again means a bit of beer intake. I've allotted the calories for it already (about 400, but I rarely drink that much).

I'll be snacking on almonds and string cheese. I'll have some strawberries once I get home.

Have a great Thursday!! :)

adillenal 05-09-2013 04:03 AM

UD
B - oat bran, coffee with HWC
L - baked potato with cottage cheese and salsa
D - pork chop, sweet potato and mustard greens and radishes from the garden

SlowSure 05-09-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverrain (Post 16416234)
Have fun with your kayaking, SS! I hope the weather is beautiful for you and you have a wonderful time. :)
Have a great Thursday!! :)

You have a good Thursday too - and thanks for the good wishes for kayaking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16416241)
D - pork chop, sweet potato and mustard greens and radishes from the garden

Neither my mustard greens nor radishes are ready but I'm looking forward to them.

I'm not growing outdoor tomatoes this year as I went down to blight last year and didn't crop a single one. So, I'm experimenting with growing more greens and hoping that they don't all succumb to the slugs and snails.

Flossyliz 05-09-2013 04:52 AM

SlowSure, your menu sounds delicious - and I don't eat meat!!! :laugh:

So far, I've had muesli for brunch, with CO, butter and Greek yogurt. About 450 cals.

:confused: I can't decide what to have for dinner. There's a head of broccoli tempting me and I could fancy some butter beans. That would work with some leeks and aubergine. :)

However, I've a meeting tonight and have just started to wonder if, as we're still enjoying some residual warmth from the brief spell of good weather, I might just treat myself to my favourite cheese sandwich, with chilli jam, olive oil mayo and as-much-salad-as-I-can-get-between-two-slices-of-wholemeal-bread. :yummy:

I'll see if a) it's still warm at dinner time and b) I feel like cooking. :cool:

Will have to watch I'm not under 1500 cals today. Don't fancy a last-minute emergency calorie catchup late tonight! :o

I'll check back in to keep myself accountable. ;)

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 06:09 AM

Oh, how I envy those of you who have trouble getting their calories in!!! I'm at nearly 600 and it's only 9 am. :D I'm having light soup and a salad for lunch so I can have a decent supper! ugh.

B-coffee, crackers, cake:o

L-light chicken pot pie soup, salad with grape tomatoes and organic baby cuke w/lime vinegarette

D-?? Will decide later and get ingredients from the store on the way home--my cupboards are bare!

phoenix17 05-09-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossyliz (Post 16416280)
SlowSure, your menu sounds delicious

I second that!!

I have been very very hungry the last several days and it seems I am not eating whatever it is my body wants. I suspect it is more protein since that is what I keep thinking about and maybe from doing a lot of exercise recently (hiking). I find I can't really eat a lot of meat so I will have to think of some other sources for protein. I really wish I liked eggs.

B: bacon sandwich on a light english muffin. With butter.. mmmm. (~300 cal)

S: green smoothie with kale, CO, wheatgrass powder, spirulina, blackberries, mango. (~250 cal I think)

L and D? ??? Am considering a home made pizza with fresh mozzarella, my own tomato sauce, topped with zucchini, spinach, garlic, olives, peppers-mmmm. But since it seems I want protein, am considering going for a roasted chicken. (either option will be with lots of veggies).

Kimmietoo 05-09-2013 06:31 AM

Wow. All of these menus sound FANTASTIC!

B - coffee w HNH, 1 Egg omelette with parm reggiano, bell pepper, deli ham
L - steak sandwich with leftover london broil, lettuce, oopsies for bread
D - mushrooms stuffed with feta, chicken and veggies
S- no sugar added vanilla ice cream, fresh raspberries

Have a great day, everyone!!!

Scarlett46 05-09-2013 07:03 AM

UD goal: 2108

B: Coffee w/ creamer, protein shake w/ berries & bran
S: Egg sammich w/ ham & cheese
L: Chili
S: Coffee, Oatmeal w/ NPB
D: Chicken w/ mozzarella & salsa, Italian blend veggies
S: Coffee w/ creamer, ice cream, Kisses

…and I doubt I’ll even feel like eating the ice cream, I’ve been so FULL the last few UDs

Never Too Late 05-09-2013 08:10 AM

Happy Thursday!

B. Scrambled eggs with 1 oz lox, onions & capers, 1 thin rye krispbread, coffee
L. Egg white protein shake with espresso powder and mixed frozen berries
D. Shredded pork roast, sugar free BBQ sauce, low calorie coleslaw, on fattening but yummy potato roll!

Dessert: Another potato roll with butter and honey, coffee

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett46 (Post 16416494)
UD goal: 2108

B: Coffee w/ creamer, protein shake w/ berries & bran
S: Egg sammich w/ ham & cheese
L: Chili
S: Coffee, Oatmeal w/ NPB
D: Chicken w/ mozzarella & salsa, Italian blend veggies
S: Coffee w/ creamer, ice cream, Kisses

…and I doubt I’ll even feel like eating the ice cream, I’ve been so FULL the last few UDs

Would it be easier for you to do the "light/no exercise" calculation of 1824?:dunno:

KeirasMom 05-09-2013 08:32 AM

B: Everything bagel with cream cheese, coffee (355)
L: Jalapeno Turkey burger with no cheese (420)
S: 100 g gala apple (52)
D: ??

I've had tons of chicken lately and am now craving beef or pork. Will have to think about dinner . . . may try to convince DH that we need to try the new rib joint down the road. :D

SlowSure 05-09-2013 08:45 AM

Yet again humming Homeward Bound as I send up various incantations for the train to get me back in easy time for the gym rather than hurtling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossyliz (Post 16416280)
SlowSure, your menu sounds delicious - and I don't eat meat!!! :laugh:...my favourite cheese sandwich, with chilli jam, olive oil mayo and as-much-salad-as-I-can-get-between-two-slices-of-wholemeal-bread. :yummy:

That does sound like a good sandwich, I like chilli jam and it feels like forever since I've eaten bread. *pines*

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix17 (Post 16416395)
I second that!!
... I find I can't really eat a lot of meat so I will have to think of some other sources for protein. I really wish I liked eggs.

Thanks again for the menu nod. You don't like fish at all? Good source of protein and quite a spectrum of fat content: I like white fish on DDs and oily on UDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Never Too Late (Post 16416606)
Happy Thursday!
D. Shredded pork roast, sugar free BBQ sauce, low calorie coleslaw, on fattening but yummy potato roll!

Dessert: Another potato roll with butter and honey, coffee

I used to be enormously fond of potato cake and potato bread. Ho hum. (I have to admit, I also like the huge amount of butter that traditionally drips off them.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16416384)
Oh, how I envy those of you who have trouble getting their calories in!!!

It's like Tetris. Some people are good at manipulating in those calories, and filling every nook and cranny properly and some of us just aren't. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16416654)
I've had tons of chicken lately and am no craving beef or pork. Will have to think about dinner . . . may try to convince DH that we need to try the new rib joint down the road. :D

See, I don't have any temptations such as an even barely and reliably adequate restaurant or take-away in proximity to where I live. Do you not like fish or are there parts of the US where it isn't at all popular?

Flossyliz 05-09-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16416384)
Oh, how I envy those of you who have trouble getting their calories in!!!!

I've had a run of hungry days recently and I've been 2-300 over every day! :o

I got hungry at 4pm and the yummy cheese sandwich won! I had some Caramel Chew Chew afterwards, just to be on the safe side! ;)

400 cals left. :eek: Not sure how to do that healthily at 10pm, after the meeting. I'm out of nuts and avocados, so I think I'll make some hummus. I might have to have an emergency glass of red wine too! :rolleyes:

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 09:09 AM

My problem is wanting to eat everything in sight first thing in the morning, after I get to work. If I fasted till lunch, it would be easier to stick to calories, and maybe harder to get them all in. I never have time to cook a proper breakfast of eggs, etc., so it's a snacky type breakfast most of the time, hence the grazing.

KeirasMom 05-09-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16416671)
See, I don't have any temptations such as an even barely and reliably adequate restaurant or take-away in proximity to where I live. Do you not like fish or are there parts of the US where it isn't at all popular?

I love fish, but today I'm craving beef or pork (I had to edit my last entry because it said I'm NO craving when I meant NOW craving . . . )

Of course, now I want fish! Thanks! :D

Flossyliz 05-09-2013 09:19 AM

Cindy, I suspect your breakfast is the problem. Can you ski breakfast completely? What if you took a box of crudités to work with you? You could prepare them at home the night before and snack on them through the morning to save your cals till lunchtime.
I think Carly can assure us that celery works well!

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 09:48 AM

Yuck, I get my fill of celery on DDs. :D I like it fine, but don't actually *want* it very often. I do need to do something though, Flossy. I'm grazing my way to hundreds and hundreds of empty calories before lunch.:doh:

I need to stop thinking of DDs and UDs as completely and utterly separate. Denying myself or skipping meals seems like only something I *have* to do on DDs, and nothing I would do voluntarily on UDs. However, if I can't keep my calories under control, it will have to be every single day, not just DDs.:cry: It's easier to skip breakfast when I'm at home, for some reason...anyway, got to come up with a plan quick! Otherwise I'll have to eat potatoes every day for a month.:D:D:D

Mamatomany 05-09-2013 10:11 AM

Fun menu items for sure :)

b: oatmeal with a scoop of ff greek yogurt and some blueberries, a "bread in a mug" with lots of coconut butter slathered on it...and coffee
l: potatoes
d: potatoes
snack: glass of wine later

tobelowcarber 05-09-2013 12:20 PM

B: 2 scrambled eggs,
L: lamb shoulder chops, turkey, 3 scrambled eggs
D: 2 cups greek yogurt, mac nuts, brazil nuts

~2200 cal/35 gr carbs

deedee 05-09-2013 01:04 PM

I was going to make today a MD, but realized I wanted Saturday to be an UD, so today turned into an UD. And as soon as I thought it, I ate those calories. Day will end up looking like this:

B: 2 cups of coffee with creamer (150)
Thomas' English Corn muffin (150)
Chipotle burrito (1200)

I still have about 400 left over for something tonight but Chipotle can really knock those calories right out of a day!

KeirasMom 05-09-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16416654)
B: Everything bagel with cream cheese, coffee (355)
L: Jalapeno Turkey burger with no cheese (420)
S: 100 g gala apple (52)
D: ??

I've had tons of chicken lately and am now craving beef or pork. Will have to think about dinner . . . may try to convince DH that we need to try the new rib joint down the road. :D

I decided we're hitting the new rib place tonight, so I saved some calories at lunch by having chili. I intend to get the rib/chicken combo, but I don't know what sides there are to choose from.

phoenix17 05-09-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16416671)
Thanks again for the menu nod. You don't like fish at all? Good source of protein and quite a spectrum of fat content: I like white fish on DDs and oily on UDs.

I do love seafood but there are two problems: I don't have a good place close by to get quality fish and when I do... well... I'm not so good at cooking it.:o It comes out bland or over done when I do it. Everyone says "but its so easy!!!" but for me it is easy to NOT do well!! maybe I should not buy frozen?

What I ended up with was

L: roasted chicken and a few bites of potato salad (600ish)
S: half a brownie (just couldn't resist)

D: I thawed that pizza dough so now I think I HAVE to make it. not sure it will last til Saturday so.. .a slice or two of homemade pizza loaded with veggies will easily bring up to or past goal.

I love reading everyone's menu's!! I write down things for my shopping list :) (and yes, fish is on it too - hopefully I can find some good uncooked shrimp somewhere).

tobelowcarber 05-09-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16416816)
Yuck, I get my fill of celery on DDs. :D I like it fine, but don't actually *want* it very often. I do need to do something though, Flossy. I'm grazing my way to hundreds and hundreds of empty calories before lunch.:doh:

I need to stop thinking of DDs and UDs as completely and utterly separate. Denying myself or skipping meals seems like only something I *have* to do on DDs, and nothing I would do voluntarily on UDs. However, if I can't keep my calories under control, it will have to be every single day, not just DDs.:cry: It's easier to skip breakfast when I'm at home, for some reason...anyway, got to come up with a plan quick! Otherwise I'll have to eat potatoes every day for a month.:D:D:D

LG- have you considered lowering your carbs. Maybe that would will help.

Flossyliz 05-09-2013 03:28 PM

Cindy, I rarely want to eat first thing in the morning, so it's easy to hang on till lunchtime. I must admit, eating early is the thing most likely to make me go over my calories. :annoyed:

You are right, it is about mindset. If you tell yourself you're being deprived, your brain will lead you a terrible dance of temptation. :( However, I'm sure with some pre-planning, you could graze healthily on food you enjoy.

Wow, just think, UD treats and DD treats - every day a treat day. JUDDD magic! :jumpjoy:

SlowSure 05-09-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16416730)
I love fish, but today I'm craving beef or pork (I had to edit my last entry because it said I'm NO craving when I meant NOW craving . . . )

For no good reason I read your original version with a Scots accent so I did take it to mean that you wanted neither beef nor pork. My :stars: My only excuse is that both DH and I have been working with a lot of Scots this week.:o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16416816)
Otherwise I'll have to eat potatoes every day for a month.:D:D:D

One thing such a plan has going for it is that it's spectacularly easy to plan your menus, shop and prepare. :) :hyst: It's also remarkably economical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix17 (Post 16417349)
I do love seafood but there are two problems: I don't have a good place close by to get quality fish and when I do... well... I'm not so good at cooking it.:o It comes out bland or over done when I do it. Everyone says "but its so easy!!!" but for me it is easy to NOT do well!! maybe I should not buy frozen?...
I love reading everyone's menu's!! I write down things for my shopping list :) (and yes, fish is on it too - hopefully I can find some good uncooked shrimp somewhere).

I don't think there's anything intrinsically bad about frozen fish, it's pretty much the only way to stop some varieties from spoiling, depending on the catching method. I suppose it depends on which ones you like. Microwaving works well for some fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossyliz (Post 16417410)
Wow, just think, UD treats and DD treats - every day a treat day. JUDDD magic! :jumpjoy:

That needs to be developed into a JUDDD singalong to the tune of Old Macdonald.:sing:

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16417407)
LG- have you considered lowering your carbs. Maybe that would will help.

I know it would help, but I came to JUDDD so I could have carbs!:cry:I can lose weight eating low carb every day, so if I'm going to fast eod, I'm going to eat carbs on the non-fast day. ;) That's my mind set right now, but it might change...If I'm still the same weight in July.

KeirasMom 05-09-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16417439)
For no good reason I read your original version with a Scots accent so I did take it to mean that you wanted neither beef nor pork. My :stars: My only excuse is that both DH and I have been working with a lot of Scots this week.:o

We are McSomethings, lol, so that works. DH says they were Mac's and got kicked out of Scotland, then became Mc's in Ireland, though nobody really knows the lineage for sure!