Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Interesting Read (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/803702-interesting-read.html)

Trigger828 05-08-2013 08:27 PM

Interesting Read

I was off searching info on JUDDD on the net.

I came across another Dr. Johnson :)

but the read was very interesting to me.

so I am just posting this for everyone to read and take what they will from it.

Dr. Richard Johnson: How Fructose Turns On Your Fat Switch

What was also interseting was he is an advocate of fasting :)

Thoughts on this article?

Seabreezes 05-08-2013 10:11 PM

Thanks for sharing. I like that he says it's OK to skip breakfast and fast for 16 - 18 hours.

KeirasMom 05-08-2013 10:11 PM

I just glanced at the article, but a couple of things caught my eye. I have never been a really big sugar/fructose consumer, so I thought the article wouldn't really apply to me, but up near the front, it's mentioned that uric acid can lead to obesity, and I've had a problem with high levels of uric acid for years. Interesting! The other thing I found interesting is that his parents would name him Richard Johnson! :o

Yennie 05-08-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16416077)
The other thing I found interesting is that his parents would name him Richard Johnson! :o

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This is my kind of reaction to something like that.
Our last name is "Johnson" and we were very careful with our son's name. There was a long list of criteria and on the "NO" list was anything that could ever even possibly be hinted as being a euphemism...

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 05:00 AM

I have not read the article, but wanted to say that my chorus teacher's name was Dick Puffer. :D

Flossyliz 05-09-2013 06:19 AM

I knew fructose was problematic - in fact some people blame HCFS for the current obesity epidemic. However, I didn't realise fructose can be created from other carbs. :eek:

The Diamonds (Fit for Life) always said not to eat breakfast, in order to allow the body to do its cleanup work. However, they advocated eating fruit instead. I suspect that fibre is going to be shown to have a big part in this somewhere.

Thanks for posting!

Re names: A colleague had a schoolfriend called Crystal Lear. Guess what her middle name was?
Parents! Who'd have 'em?!

Demonica 05-09-2013 07:10 AM

Re names: My 10th grade english teacher's name was Ann Phallus.:o I didn't like her, so she was REALLY lucky I didn't know what that word meant back then! I would have ALWAYS been in detention:laugh:

Trigger828 05-09-2013 07:32 AM

these names are funny! lol

the uric acid part of the article surprised me. I had no idea on that one.

Librarygirl 05-09-2013 07:48 AM

I found the article about exercising while fasting even more interesting!! Thanks for the link!

Kimmietoo 05-09-2013 08:03 AM

I had a great Aunt, who's birth name was Mary Pack Anderson, having been delivered by Dr. Pack. It was customary at that time to include the doctor's name somehow. She was always known as Pack. When she married Mr. Don Wolf, she became Pack Wolf. (It was not entirely inappropriate; she was quite aggressive and snarly.) :hyst:

This article is extremely interesting to me! It sort of explains some of my own personal physiological experiences. I have had metabolic syndrome for literally decades-- at least 3. I am quite carb sensitive and I know that the fatter that I am, the fatter I tend to become. My body must be an expert at carb to fructose conversion!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Kimmie

Trigger828 05-09-2013 08:16 AM

I was hoping when I stumbled on it someone could benefit from it. that is cool it might help someone explain a few things.

grannysmith 05-09-2013 02:25 PM

I used to know a Hugh Johnson....did that euphemism come from Lyndon Johnson? He was always talking about "Jumbo"...

Anywho, this Dr Johnson's stuff sounds like a dumbed-down version of the Drs Eads' books. Going 20 hrs without food isn't much of a fast, but Eads always advocated exercising on an empty stomach to make the most of growth hormones. And anything with a high glycemic index stimulates excess insulin production, which increases fat storage and cellular cholesterol production due to its anabolic effects.

vickismc 05-09-2013 02:41 PM

What a fun thread and an interesting article!

I have a name to add...Dr. Gropp thankfully he is my dentist and not my gyno.:lol:

Trigger828 05-09-2013 03:19 PM

LOL that name is funny :)

LoCarbGal 05-09-2013 11:35 PM

I used to work in a pharmacy, and we regularly got prescriptions from an OBGYN named Dr. Fingerhut.

Genie80 05-10-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16416077)
The other thing I found interesting is that his parents would name him Richard Johnson! :o

This has really tickled me...
Now I will read the article :) x

grammyw/kitties 05-11-2013 10:09 AM

This group is just too funny. I laughed so hard . Just that much exercise is good. They say a good laugh will add a year to your life...Heres to the joy of laughter and life

reptogirl 05-13-2013 02:26 PM

Haha fingerhut that is hilarious!!! There was a dentist a few years ago on a commercial with the name of dr. Fang always got a chuckle out of that... If anyone is fraiser fans one of the producers name(I think producer) is Mary fukuto or something along those lines