Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motivatedMomma4
Stats: 180/147/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 19 2013
The deception of the mirror...

So ive lost just about 30 lbs now, down 3 sizes. Some days I look in the mirror and I can tell Ive lost weight and I feel really great, but other days I the mirror seems to show the same body from 30 lbs ago, its like i feel like I look exactly the same...its so weird..does anyone else feel like this????

ugggg...I think its just women can be so critical of themselves...
motivatedMomma4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/220/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Absolutely! I have a long way to go and people say they see a difference, but I don't see 21 pounds at all.

I think we'll always look in the mirror and see someone with a whole bunch of flaws looking back at us.

Be proud of your 30 pounds and 3 sizes down self Crystal. You've put in work and it wasn't easy. No person and no mirror can take that away from you.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I think one issue is that when you diet, you shrink your size... but your basic body shape is the same, just smaller... It really takes exercising and toning up and improving muscle to get a better shape of body.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Totally know how you feel. I know I'm shrinking because I have the looser clothes & the measurements to prove it. But some days I look in the mirror & all I can see is the same ole saddle bags, bat wings, back fat & tummy pooch that's always been there and I think - what's the point?!?!!?
And that is the exact reason why I keep my measurement tracking book in the bathroom.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Agreed on women being hyper-critical of themselves and failing to see what others see.

I have to admit however that although I've lost approx. 20lbs since January, not a single person has noticed (DH knows , of course). (This may also be related to my neck wattle that makes me look quite a bit heavier than I am.)

I'm sure that the weight loss will help my knees and back eventually but I was hoping for a more dramatic difference.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
30 pounds and 3 sizes? I am impressed as heck.

For some reason, although I lost a lot inches, I did not have to change clothing sizes until I lost about 25 pounds. After that the sizes dropped so fast I never got to wear some of the clothing I bought.

Yes. Yep. Isn't it strange? I went from size 14/16 to size 6. And there are days I look in the mirror and think nothing really changed. I wish I had kept a few of the large sizes so I could get them out and make myself remember how far I have come.

Female or human self-perception is weird.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have the opposite problem sometimes lol. I think I look better than I do! I'll leave the house thinking wow, I have really lost a lot of weight. I look good. Then I'll catch a glimpse in a glass door, etc. and see this heavy woman and cringe. Plus, photos still don't look right to me.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 05-06-2013 at 04:09 AM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: start 150 now 135 goal 125
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Photos are the worst for me!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Hugs to you! You are doing absolutely fantastic!!!!!!! Don't let the mirror get you down. It is evil just like the stupid scale! (and photos!) I completely understand, though. I have to remind myself that even though I still see the same 3 chins, fat arms and big body, I AM in smaller clothes and therefore must be smaller. We are SO hard on ourselves. XOXO
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I have the opposite problem sometimes lol. I think I look better than I do! I'll leave the house thinking wow, I have really lost a lot of weight. I look good.
Well, it's obviously this attractive, confident woman that cute guys smile at in parking lots...Ignore the other woman, she has a skewed perspective and isn't giving you good information about how you look to the world.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Putz
Stats: 161/144.5/125
Start Date: 03-05-2013
Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Well, it's obviously this attractive, confident woman that cute guys smile at in parking lots...Ignore the other woman, she has a skewed perspective and isn't giving you good information about how you look to the world.
Thank you.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
good job!

my 30 lb loss got me just into 2 sizes down. You did great.

YES! I feel that way all the time.

I got into a nice jacket when I hit about 25 down. I wore it to dinner and looked thinner in the mirror.

then the other day we were going out again and decided to wear it. Put it on, checked in the mirror (after losing more lbs) and I swear I looked fat as a house in that jacket.
I didn't wear it. I changed to a more baggy top to hide.

And I kept thinking, well a few weeks ago I wore that when heavier and felt great??? WTH? LOL blew my mind. how can one week I wear it I look trimmer, and then lose more weight, put it on and feel fatter?

I don't get it
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nursej10580
Stats: 32 y.o. 5'8" 240/170.9/155
WOE: HCG/LC/JUDDD
Start Date: R1-05/ '11, R2-8/'11, R3-8/'12, R4 3/'13, R5 1/'14
Quote:
Originally Posted by motivatedMomma4 View Post
So ive lost just about 30 lbs now, down 3 sizes. Some days I look in the mirror and I can tell Ive lost weight and I feel really great, but other days I the mirror seems to show the same body from 30 lbs ago, its like i feel like I look exactly the same...its so weird..does anyone else feel like this????

I definitely agree with this & if you're anything like me I tend to feel like people see me as 30 lbs heavier on the days that my weight tends to be up a lb or so.. know what I mean? I can look at older pics and see that I've lost weight & people say I look good but I think after being heavy for sooo long that's it's almost like it's too good to be true that I might actually be "normal sized" or even considered thin by some? Right there with you... guess it's one step ... one day at a time :-)
nursej10580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/165/150
WOE: moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
There are days when I feel bloated (usually TOM or pre-TOM) and feel as big as a house. I swear when I look in the mirror, all I see is this huge stomach pooching out! Then there are days when I'm not bloated at all, feeling pretty confident, wearing my skinny jeans to go out with DH. We get out to wherever we are going and all of a sudden, I either catch a glimpse of myelf in a mirror or store window and all I see is the stomach sticking out. Or look down at myself for some reason and all I see is this huge stomach. So I go the rest of the day with my stomach sucked in because I feel like a big ole blob.

How can I feel so good and confident at home and as soon as I get out in public, I feel like a hippo? Usually cuz I see really slim girls in cute outfits. It's old programming from my teenage years that I am working really hard to get rid of.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I still have weird body image issues. I have to look at myself in pictures with my friends to notice a difference. There are a couple of friends who I always thought, "I'd be really happy if I could just be the same size as so-and-so." Well, when I stand near them, I still feel like a blob, but in pictures, I'm actually THINNER than they are. It's mind-blowing. I have days where I feel really good about my size, and then other days where I just don't. I wonder if it'll ever normalize.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154now/final goal TBD
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD Maintenance
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
There are a couple of friends who I always thought, "I'd be really happy if I could just be the same size as so-and-so." Well, when I stand near them, I still feel like a blob, but in pictures, I'm actually THINNER than they are.
This scares me. There must be some sort of re-programming that one could do, to let go of old images of oneself. I don't want to still think I am fat once I get slender.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
There are a couple of friends who I always thought, "I'd be really happy if I could just be the same size as so-and-so." Well, when I stand near them, I still feel like a blob, but in pictures, I'm actually THINNER than they are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
This scares me. There must be some sort of re-programming that one could do, to let go of old images of oneself. I don't want to still think I am fat once I get slender.
My DH likens this to phantom limb syndrome - he thinks that people who lose substantial amounts of weight sometimes feel it's still with them and even see it.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I never thought of it that way, but it IS how I would imagine phantom limb syndrome would feel like.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by motivatedMomma4 View Post

I totally agree, and I feel like this often. Like, hey, I'm doing work here, "suffering" and so forth. When I can't fit into a dress I want to, or look the way I want to, I get very frustrated.

Then DH saunters out in some short rugby shorts and he's like, HEY, I've not worn these in years, look at me!

Quote:
I have the opposite problem sometimes lol. I think I look better than I do! I'll leave the house thinking wow, I have really lost a lot of weight. I look good. Then I'll catch a glimpse in a glass door, etc. and see this heavy woman and cringe. Plus, photos still don't look right to me.
YES-- I get this ALSO. Usually, in the morning, I think I look great, and by the end of the day, I look in the mirror, and suddenly, I'm like Snooki's short fat OLDER sister.

When we were doing the April 5th challenge, and DH took pictures of me in those dresses, I was like NO-- I am NOT that short and fat. You messed the picture up, clearly.

Quote:
I never thought of it that way, but it IS how I would imagine phantom limb syndrome would feel like.
I just wanted to quote this b/c I thought it was interesting!

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motivatedMomma4
Stats: 180/147/140
Start Date: Feb 19 2013
Well I am glad to know that I am not a complete nut case ...but sad to think that so many of us struggle with these body issues!! I think Im going to invest in one of those amusment park mirrors that make you look tall and slim...lol...

I think the phantom leg syndrome may actually be the case...its like its not all the time,its just every so often its just all still there...hopefully working out and toning up will help it all...

Thank you ladies for all your support and input!! This is why I love coming here!!
“just because you fail once, it doesn't mean you're going to fail at everything. keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself because if you don't, then who will? so keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.”
― Marilyn Monroe

Crystal
motivatedMomma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
I still have weird body image issues. I have to look at myself in pictures with my friends to notice a difference. There are a couple of friends who I always thought, "I'd be really happy if I could just be the same size as so-and-so." Well, when I stand near them, I still feel like a blob, but in pictures, I'm actually THINNER than they are. It's mind-blowing. I have days where I feel really good about my size, and then other days where I just don't. I wonder if it'll ever normalize.
Yes... ^^^^^ This exactly. I went from size 20W to 4P and sometimes I swear I look like I did 75 pounds ago. I tried on one of my 3x tops the other day and I could have fit a whole other me in there and then I see the loss- kind of.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I definitely feel that. Some days I know I feel thinner than I am. And other days I know I feel fatter than I am. I have no idea why, but I suspect it has to do with my mental state on that day or in that moment. I hope it goes away! It makes me mad that we're all working so hard to do this, and have done so great losing, and we're still feeling like that!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157
Start Date: May 2013
In my mind I'm thin. It's when I really see myself that I am surprised that I am overweight. I have a different self image - thinner than I actually am. I too have been surprised when I catch a glimpse of myself in a store window, or in a photo and then I tell myself the camera lies!!
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Photos are the worst for me!
Don't feel too bad, cameras and pictures do add weight, I've seen it with people who are very thin, I take a picture of them and they look bigger in the picture. A couple of my friends are skinny minnies and in pictures they always look many pounds heavier. I know this for a fact.
~PaperMoon~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: start 150 now 135 goal 125
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Thanks Paper Moon
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Thanks Paper Moon
No problem!
~PaperMoon~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
I don't see changes when looking in the mirror daily. Scale shows less, clothes fit better and get all kinds of people noticing, but I still see the same fat guy! For me pictures work great. I don't take them all the time just every so often. I can really see it in my face in the pictures but not in the mirror. Before, during and after photos
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kacieb08
Something that might help you guys is this website:

Welcome - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

Basically, you put in your height/weight/body shape and it brings up pictures other people have posted that are the same stats. Sometimes we are too critical on ourselves but less objective on others. Give it a try. It's also a good tool to determine what your goal weight should be if you have no idea.
kacieb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
They say they don't have a match for my body type...I am unique!!!!!
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote