Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
UP Day tracking?

I had a snack attack blow out last night. not pretty.

my 2nd UP day since I just started and it was only day 4.

I am getting nervous about this UP Day and have noticed a few threads about people going overboard. me too! So getting a tad panicky now about UP days.

But a friend on another thread mentioned that the door is open to eat whatever I want on an UP day. ---She made me think---Well I need to close that door!

I don't know why but I never thought about actually planning an UP day. I get a bit over 1900 cals for the day. I figured who would even come close to eating all that----why plan? I can easily stay in that area.

I grazed yesterday. I skipped dinner. at night I went nutso on snacking.

All because I didn't get my usual way thru the day. I had a free for all day.

No more of that. ALL (every one) of my UP days will be planned out just as I plan my exact calories for my down days.

WHO HERE also plans their exact food and calories for an UP day?

or do you wing it like I tried?

thoughts on this and thanks to BlueSkies for pointing this out to me about planning UP days. I think she helped me fast in realizing I need to control up days big time like my down ones.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
When I started I tracked every calorie. It is much too easy to eat 2500 calories and think you have eaten 1600.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: 196/?(not looking for a while)/150
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
I did not start to really lose weight until I started tracking my up day calories. I dont always plan it out in advance but I usually track them.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

yup---I guesstimated around 1900, I bet it was way over. I don't even want to think about it

tracking from here on out. I will make this work for me!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
When I started I tracked every calorie. It is much too easy to eat 2500 calories and think you have eaten 1600.

From being here for over a year it seems to me that people who have slower losses or feel frustated that they are not losing how they would like also happen to post frequently that they had UUADs or got a bit carried away more than they wanted to. I think many with slow losses frequently didn't track UDs very closely.

I think in the beginning it's critical to track- planning is probably ideal, but tracking before you eat is a really good idea vs. doing it at the end of the day. Things tend to have more calories than we think and serving sizes are typically much smaller than we think.

My kitchen scale is a huge help on DDs and at this point my appetite is so much smaller that I don't over eat often, because it physically hurts to be too full. I think that is a gift of the juddd magic and keeping my SIRTs flowing by having 2 super low DDs each week.

But back to the origional question- Yes, I would strongly recommend tracking until you are sure that you are not going to have UUADs. That being said you may always wish to track. I think most who have been successful during WLM tracked carefully at least for a while and quite possibly well into maintenance.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm maintaining and still track every day (with the odd vacation thrown in there). When I was in WLM, I tracked and stuck to my rotations even on vacation. You have to do what's going to work for you. If you're prone to going over, then you NEED to track, preferably before you eat, so you know what you have to play with.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlett46
Stats: 179/150/135 5'3" 43yo
WOE: SB/JUDDD
Start Date: SB: 6/2007 JUDDD: 4/2013
I am planning and tracking everything.
And I try to make sure I plan my UDs on the UD before, rather than on a DD, so I don't create unnecessary cravings.
Scarlett46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I even tracked my UUAD days since I already had planned my day and just had to add the indulgences that I had not figured on. And I was one with really slow losses due to the many UUAD's but I still managed to lose over 40 pounds. SLOWLY but they are gone.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

tracking is it then!! it is a good key to keeping the lbs coming off.

I will track everything now. good common sense !!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Add me to the 'have to count' club!

Someone suggested plan your UD eating by planning you largest meal of the day first. Figure those calories then allocate the rest to other meals and snacks. I find that pattern very easy to live with (and within...with vacation exceptions now and again).
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

good idea. plan the big meal, then work the rest around the cals. left.
I will do that! thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I agree with planning the big meal (dinner for me) and then prioritizing the other things you want through the day. I track every single day and have from the beginning. I was already tracking carbs from being on Atkins, so it wasn't a big change for me - just focusing on calories in addition to/instead of carbs.

I usually plan for all but 200 calories, and then that gives me some wiggle room for a drink, or a dessert, or just a spoon of peanut butter in the evening.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

With stats like yours, your advice is appreciated and showing that success you have achieved means it must work thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Someone suggested plan your UD eating by planning you largest meal of the day first. Figure those calories then allocate the rest to other meals and snacks. I find that pattern very easy to live with (and within...with vacation exceptions now and again).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I agree with planning the big meal (dinner for me) and then prioritizing the other things you want through the day.
I agree with these. I plan my meals for the day with their calorie estimates and then see what the deficit is. Correspondingly, I may then add on some fruit to lunch or dinner or serve another vegetable side-dish. I like having a calorie buffer on an UD in case someone offers me something and it would be impolite or inappropriate to decline.

I usually have an outline eating plan for 2 weeks at a time although it may change with the vagaries of the weather. I batch cook and freeze a lot of our meals.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I do not plan my Up Days, or count calories, but I HAVE been writing down everything I eat, so that if I stall later, I can analyze.

I DO stay with low-carb primal. I am kind of surprised by how many of us eat junk or a lot of carbs on our Up Days. I know from past experience that I will NOT stop at just a little- it will set me off for more bad eating. Maybe that will slowly change, but I am not risking it now.

I feel I am having good success with this way. My first few Up Days, I did go a little over-board, but I think that was just the newness of the plan. Now, I feel like I eat like a normal person on Up Days! It feels amazing to me.

You're only four days in, so I wouldn't worry too much. (I know, easy to say!) I was finding the Down Days difficult at first, but very quickly, within two weeks, it had changed, and I was looking forward to them. And after a few generous Up Days, those settled down, too.

I think it is key to remind yourself that how you are feeling NOW, will change. Just get through this day the way you want to.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I typically eat very similar breakfast and lunches each UD. I typically set it up so I have 1000c left for dinner. That isn't always how it goes, but that's the UD I prefer!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
I know that the website that gives you your numbers says to stick with your dd of 500 and eat what you want for the updays for your first two weeks as you adjust to your new WOE. I wouldn't fuss too much, but eventually you will need to adjust your cals based on your post induction weight and then try to stick to it then. Your gonna do great !
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

COOL all.
great encouragement

my mindset was atkins so the change over to make this plan work is slowly coming to me.

I think I will do well, but Sirtain is so right---ONE DAY at a time. dont get ahead of myself --work that one day correctly!! then the whole comes together for me. I like that!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Yes I plan my UD's. I could blowout 1900 w/ no problem. When I didn't keep my UD's tracked I stalled. Still stall here and there, but when I do it's usually due to me going over on my UD from not keeping track. So, yes I do try to keep up with it. Not always perfect at doing so, but I think it helps you keep an idea of where you are toward the end of the day if you need put on the, "brakes" so to speak. Hope that helps!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
[quote=Carly;16408956]

From being here for over a year it seems to me that people who have slower losses or feel frustated that they are not losing how they would like also happen to post frequently that they had UUADs or got a bit carried away more than they wanted to. I think many with slow losses frequently didn't track UDs very closely.

I think in the beginning it's critical to track- planning is probably ideal, but tracking before you eat is a really good idea vs. doing it at the end of the day. Things tend to have more calories than we think and serving sizes are typically much smaller than we think.

My kitchen scale is a huge help on DDs and at this point my appetite is so much smaller that I don't over eat often, because it physically hurts to be too full. I think that is a gift of the juddd magic and keeping my SIRTs flowing by having 2 super low DDs each week.

But back to the origional question- Yes, I would strongly recommend tracking until you are sure that you are not going to have UUADs. That being said you may always wish to track. I think most who have been successful during WLM tracked carefully at least for a while and quite possibly well into maintenance.[/QUOTE/]

Tracking is essential for me, both down and up days. I have found that my appetite is way down now so that makes it a bit easier, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
I typically eat very similar breakfast and lunches each UD. I typically set it up so I have 1000c left for dinner. That isn't always how it goes, but that's the UD I prefer!
I also tend to fast through breakfast on up day so I have more cals for lunch or
dinner. I have a phone app so I can track through the day, too. I have no excuses! I even counted cals on vacation so I wouldn't go off the deep end and get a nasty welcome home surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
COOL all.
great encouragement

my mindset was atkins so the change over to make this plan work is slowly coming to me.

I think I will do well, but Sirtain is so right---ONE DAY at a time. dont get ahead of myself --work that one day correctly!! then the whole comes together for me. I like that!
You will do great!!!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Yep Melinda definitely truth there. At least for me anyway. When I get down to the nitty gritty and follow plan strictly I can usually see a downward trend. I will have an occasional stall here and there, but then if I have a smidge higher UD followed by a good low DD then that usually gets the scales moving again. I know what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all, but if I'm gaining or stalling it usually going overboard is to blame and not being consistant w/ my numbers. There after my birthday I went out of contol for a short bit, but happy to say I'm having some good DD's so far and numbers are moving again. Baby steps all the way if I have to!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I'd never counted calories before JUDDD. It was quite an eye-opener!

I don't plan ahead much but I do track, sometimes after the event. Sometimes I can find I've only had about 1200 cals on what seemed like a good UD - that's a good excuse for a glass of wine!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
I try to track my rotations an online counter each day.

I weigh and measure my food using a digital gram scale, tablespoons, measuring cups, and track homemade recipes using a recipe calculator to figure out calories, portion sizes.

When I slip up and eat more than I planned on a DD or an UD, I make sure and track it, no matter what. Although it feels a tad bit painful to document one's mistakes, it feels really good to be honest with myself in the long run.

Tracking also helps me forestall painful leg cramps, by being vigilant about my intake of potassium, magnesium, calcium and multivitamins.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." -- Brillat Savarin

Last edited by Never Too Late; 05-07-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote