Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
SIRT1 - explain it to me, please?

I've read and read a lot of the threads and see what the health benefits are with SIRT1, but could you explain what it does in relation to weight loss, please? I couldn't really find anything specific except for appetite suppressant.
Nanner is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Putz
Stats: 160/155/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: re-started September 2014
SIRT1 is a gene found in humans and other mammals that helps to promote survival by protecting cells during times when food (and therefore energy) is scarce. Scientists have discovered similar genes in almost all species, including Sir2 in yeast, worms, and fruit flies.

SIRT1 acts as a "rescue gene," repairing the damage done by free radicals and preventing cells from dying prematurely. The gene also causes mitochondria, the power plants of cells, to produce energy at higher levels that are typically associated with younger cells. As a result, SIRT1 is believed to be a principal regulator of lifespan.

The SIRT1 gene, or "skinny gene," assists with weight loss by inhibiting fat storage and increasing fat metabolism. By causing the body to store fewer fat cells, SIRT1 can also slow the aging process by reducing the risk of age-related diseases and health threats, including heart attack and stroke, diabetes, arthritis, and osteoporosis. These conditions have all been linked to an excess amount of fat cells in the body.

SIRT1 is activated by calorie restriction or by the compound in red wine known as resveratrol. Dr. James Johnson developed the UpDayDownDay Diet™, a method of alternate-day calorie restriction, so that individuals can receive the benefits from "turning on" the SIRT1 gene while losing weight at the same time.

The body's response to calorie restriction is an example of "hormesis," in which a normally dangerous stressor can actually be beneficial in small amounts. Although an animal will die if it starves, moderate calorie restriction can actually increase its chances of survival by raising levels of SIRT1.
Putz is offline   Reply With Quote