Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hikergurl
Stats: 5'11" 208/162/165
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/31/11
Oh no! Gain after Potato DD's

So after reading all the success stories on here about the potato hack, I decided to try it for my last two DD's. I really enjoyed them as I found the potatoes to be very filling. I just topped them with salt, pepper and malt vinegar or Frank's Buffalo Sauce, and both DD's I was under 500 cals, my UD's were good, and I thought I would have success. Well, this morning I stepped on the scale and I'm up 5 pounds from where I was on Saturday!! I definitely feel bloated and kind of gassy, and I'm assuming that's from the potatoes, but I don't know. I am REALLY discouraged as I'm leaving today for a 5-day vacation and was hoping to go into it with some wiggle room.

Anybody else gain after a potato DD?
hikergurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I didn't have much luck doing just potato DDs, but when I did 3 consecutive days, I lost like gangbusters! Also got pretty sick, but it was worth it to blast off some vacation weight. I may try the potato DD again at some point though. Sorry you had this gain, but it may come off real quick. Have a great vaca!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't good! I was thinking about doing a potato hack to get my weight loss kickstarted again.

LCG when you did it, did you basically only eat baked potatoes because of the no fat rule? Or did you make them in a variety of ways? I'm trying to think of ways to eat an UD's calories worth of potatoes.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I have read a lot about the potato hack and I LOVE potatoes so I kinda wanted to try it but that is a big reason I am rather scared to. I know carbs are my enemy and have a history with potatoes, pasta and breads making me gain a LOT. At least the 5 pounds you gained shouldn't take too long to get rid of. Try not to feel too discouraged though. Looking at your stats you have done AMAZINGLY!! Congratulations!
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Before starting JUDDD I tried the potato hack and within 3 days gained 6 pounds and stopped. I spent the next week trying to get rid of those 6 pounds but they wouldn't budge until I started JUDDD. Potatoes work for some but not for others, they made me feel horrible durring those 3 days and the week after. I can handle potatoes as a side dish only.

Mike
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
LCG when you did it, did you basically only eat baked potatoes because of the no fat rule? Or did you make them in a variety of ways? I'm trying to think of ways to eat an UD's calories worth of potatoes.
Mostly I baked them in the microwave, and had them with salt, pepper, and malt vinegar or some other kind of vinegar. I did have a little yellow mustard a couple of times. Also, really delicious is the bake where you slice up several potatoes, layer them in a baking dish w/salt and pepper on each layer, pour in 2 cups of chicken broth, and bake for 40-60 minutes (I think). They get crispy on top and are creamy underneath. I loved that!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Do you think that maybe the additional weight might be from something else? PMS, constipation, etc... I just know a week or so before TOM I hold a lot of water weight, and/or if I haven't had a BM in a while that shows up on the scales as well. Just curious if one of those issues might be to blame?
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hikergurl
Stats: 5'11" 208/162/165
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/31/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Do you think that maybe the additional weight might be from something else? PMS, constipation, etc... I just know a week or so before TOM I hold a lot of water weight, and/or if I haven't had a BM in a while that shows up on the scales as well. Just curious if one of those issues might be to blame?
Unfortunately, no. I'm good to go on both of those fronts I did a quick Google search and potatoes show up on a lot of "foods that produce gas" lists. I've also read on these boards where some people bloat up when on potatoes. I'm hoping that's the culprit and it will come off easily. I'm gonna go ahead and enjoy my vacation for the next 4 days, and when I get back, will jump back on regular JUDDD rotations and hope it comes off soon.
hikergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
I had a similar experience gaining and not losing. I am not really doing it well I have done one day actually on monday, where I had coffee with FF creamer and just ate potatoes for lunch and potatoes for dinner. Went onto a UUAD yesterday (PMS) and today, I ate oatmeal for breakfast, waited 4 hours and did potatoes for lunch and dinner. Tomorrow I'm just not sure I want a normal upday but nothing is normal this time of the month. We shall see what the weekend scale reading brings

Please enjoy your vacation and don't fret...as the experts say, JUDD is ver forgiving and you can jump right into rotations again and loose it quickly!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Yup, it happens. I'd say about 30% of the people who try (and report) actually gain. Its an uncomfortable experiment for those poor folks. Sorry about that though - the pounds will come off quickly!
Enjoy your vacation.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Yes, I am one. I did the PH for eight days hoping it was an initial reaction but by the end of eight days of potatoes only I could no longer fit into my clothes. I ballooned up.

I then dropped JUDDD and of course the potatoes and went back to Dukan. I am now back to JUDDD Dukan style until I can gradually add back carbs. I seem to lose control and binge on up days when eating carbs.

I have lost some of the weight over the last few months but it has been SLOW. It is so odd that most can lose weight with the PH and a very small percentage like me will gain a lot of weight.

Enjoy your vacation and when you return you can always get back to JUDDD to lose the last few.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I don't know if I would have gained with the PH because I couldn't do it. I tried it about 4x on DD's and ended up so hungry that I over ate. I've read that it's an intial reaction and that it balances out if you continue over several days, but I have no interest in doing a week of potatoes, lol. I'm sure it will go away as soon as you go back to rotations.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #13

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
This is not what I wanted to hear. I want to try the potato hack, and am too scared to do so. I have been low carb for so long I am scared to eat a potato. Of course I am not too scared to eat brownies, cookies so why am I so reluctant to buy potatoes LOL ??!! Ugh!!! I want to try it, but will wait til after my 2 days of work next week where I have to fit into my uniform. I don't want to outgrow my pants in case I gain too, I have no extra room as it is LOL.