Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursej10580 View Post
Hey I'm wanting to start JUDDD this week but I'm seriously nervous about jumping in since I"m scared to gain. I'm 32 y,o, 5'8' 161.7 lbs currently. When I put my info into the JUDDD calculator I get DD 367 cal & UD 1834 cal? Does that sound right? Is it best to start off with a DD or UD? Also I've been reading through the threads and was wondering if it's ok to start off with my calculated DD calories or do I start with the standard 500 cals?

Thanks!
Jenny
Hi Jenny,
That does sound about right, not having actually double checked the numbers myself.
Its best to start off with an UD so that you're well fed doing into your DD. You can start off at 500 for your DD, or you can aim for 367. Basically you want to keep your DDs at 500 or less for the first 2 weeks, its ok for your DDs to be even lower. Eat as close as you can to your UD calories - if you undershoot your UD cals then you're not JUDDDing, you're just restricting calories & you won't get the JUDDD magic.
Spend some time, if you haven't already, reading through the DD daily menu threads and the DD recipe stickies to give yourself ideas for low cal, very filling meals for DDs. There is a cabbage & cheese (with optional chicken) one that is amazing and so filling!
Best of luck to you!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Hey I'm wanting to start JUDDD this week but I'm seriously nervous about jumping in since I"m scared to gain. I'm 32 y,o, 5'8' 161.7 lbs currently. When I put my info into the JUDDD calculator I get DD 367 cal & UD 1834 cal? Does that sound right? Is it best to start off with a DD or UD? Also I've been reading through the threads and was wondering if it's ok to start off with my calculated DD calories or do I start with the standard 500 cals?

Thanks!
Jenny
The numbers are correct and you can start with your DD number, but know that you can go up to 500 if you need it for the first 2 weeks on DDs.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nursej10580
Stats: 32 y.o. 5'8" 240/170.9/155
WOE: HCG/LC/JUDDD
Start Date: R1-05/ '11, R2-8/'11, R3-8/'12, R4 3/'13, R5 1/'14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Hi Jenny,
That does sound about right, not having actually double checked the numbers myself.
Its best to start off with an UD so that you're well fed doing into your DD. You can start off at 500 for your DD, or you can aim for 367. Basically you want to keep your DDs at 500 or less for the first 2 weeks, its ok for your DDs to be even lower. Eat as close as you can to your UD calories - if you undershoot your UD cals then you're not JUDDDing, you're just restricting calories & you won't get the JUDDD magic.
Spend some time, if you haven't already, reading through the DD daily menu threads and the DD recipe stickies to give yourself ideas for low cal, very filling meals for DDs. There is a cabbage & cheese (with optional chicken) one that is amazing and so filling!
Best of luck to you!
Hi Yennie Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm really hoping that this will work! I'm tired of feeling like always having to sit on the sidelines & watch everyone else have fun and still not lose ! Congrats on your success already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
The numbers are correct and you can start with your DD number, but know that you can go up to 500 if you need it for the first 2 weeks on DDs.
Hi Carly Thank you too for the suggestions and how supportive you guys have already been! I'm definitely tired of the daily dieting & always feeling "different" or that I can never relax a day here & there without fearing how much I'll have to pay for it the next days, weeks etc! It's definitely encouraging to see how much you've lost as well!

~Jenny
nursej10580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicBeth
Stats: 240/213.6/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 5, 2013
Hi LowCarbGal and Yennie

Thanks for the warm welcome. I spent ages over the last few days going over 80 plus pages back. I feel very confident that JUDDD will work as long as I respect the diet and stick to the basics.

Honestly, this board is full of great advice and great people. I looking forward to making some new friends.

Beth
MagicBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Welcome Newbies!

You've had some great advice already, so I'll just wish you all a very enjoyable and successful JUDDD journey.

Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michmich
WOE: LC
Start Date: 6/2/2014
Quote:
Just wondering why you are doing 2 MDs in a row? I would not think this would optimize weight loss, but who knows.
I actually ended up w/a DD on Saturday and MD on Sunday. I'm just thinking long term and this is what I think will work, but it's trial and error for me right now.

I started at 162.8 last Monday and am at 159.5 today. I'm happy with that!!!

Will check back in a bit on everyone!
michmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chaigirl
Stats: 186/183/152
Start Date: April 2013
JUDDD

I spent first week faithfully following the UD/DD rotation. I lost 3 pounds the first week! But I'm finding it really hard on weekends. I think I am going to try M/W/F down days and T/TH/S up days and then maybe a 1000 cal day on Sundays. I will definitely follow up on Saturday and update when I weigh in.

Does anyone else here do this modified version? tia! And good luck everyone!
chaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nursej10580
Stats: 32 y.o. 5'8" 240/170.9/155
WOE: HCG/LC/JUDDD
Start Date: R1-05/ '11, R2-8/'11, R3-8/'12, R4 3/'13, R5 1/'14
Quote:
Hey Carly :-) just a quick question in regards to down day.. Would it be ok to have something like spaghetti squash which is about 42 calories per cup cooked with some tomato sauce (about 70 cal per half cup) for a lower cal meal? Just wanting to know if I'm thinking the right way for down days..

Thanks!
~Jenny
nursej10580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #69
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Newbies, lovely to have you with us, you are going to love JUDDD.

Jenny, that sound like a great meal plan. Vegetables are great to fill you up, if you can afford the calories a little protein is a good idea too, keeps the hunger pangs away longer.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaigirl View Post
I spent first week faithfully following the UD/DD rotation. I lost 3 pounds the first week! But I'm finding it really hard on weekends. I think I am going to try M/W/F down days and T/TH/S up days and then maybe a 1000 cal day on Sundays. I will definitely follow up on Saturday and update when I weigh in.

Some people are ok with that but many of us find it's easier to do a DD after a good UD. Think DD, MD, UD, DD etc - or small, medium, large.

So, if you do Sundays as MDs, you might be hungry on Monday's DD.
Or you might not! JUDDD is very much about finding what works for you.

How long have you been JUDDDing? It's "safer" to experiment after the sirtuins are well-established, so the longer you can stick to pure rotations in the first few weeks, the easier it will become.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 05-06-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TuesdayBlue
Stats: 222.2/220.4/???Size 10
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 07/14/2014
New Newbie :)

Hello All! Starting JUDDD this week. I have been "lurking", reading and researching for weeks. Ready to start my new WOE.

I just wanted to say a quick "HI!".
TuesdayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

TuesdayBlue!

Sounds like you've been doing your homework. This is a great forum and a great WOE. Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #73
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Hey Carly :-) just a quick question in regards to down day.. Would it be ok to have something like spaghetti squash which is about 42 calories per cup cooked with some tomato sauce (about 70 cal per half cup) for a lower cal meal? Just wanting to know if I'm thinking the right way for down days..

Thanks!
~Jenny
Yes, that sounds good. Veggies can be filling for not too many calories. I found tilapia to be filling in the beginning when I needed some protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayBlue View Post
Hello All! Starting JUDDD this week. I have been "lurking", reading and researching for weeks. Ready to start my new WOE.

!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #74

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Enjoy the exciting new journey Tuesday.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BrandiHornsby
Stats: 285.4/228.2/140
WOE: HCG moving toward JUDDD
Start Date: HCG: February 20, 2013
Good Monday evening everyone! I'm still finishing my HCG stabilization, and haven't started the JUDDD yet. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still around and very eager to begin!

Thank you all for answering my questions and for such a warm welcome!
BrandiHornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CloveLeaf
Stats: 125/119/110 5'5"
WOE: LC
JUDDD vs IF

Could someone please help me with a newbie question? I am a bit confused about IF vs JUDDD. I am currently doing a 6 to 8 hour eating window every day. And I do 24 hour fasting on Wednesdays and Sundays, of course low carb Does this sound like a good plan? Would I still get the benefit of JUDDD this way? I just started this for a week and it is almost my TOM, so I didn't really see much difference on scale. It is slowly going down, though. And I am more interested in the health benefits of JUDDD than losing weight.

TIA
CloveLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Quote:

I was the same panicing about weekends because we often have social plans on Fridays/Saturdays so I've decided now my rotations will be:
DD's: Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday
UD's: Friday, Saturday, Monday & Wednesday

I've only just started doing this so time (and weigh day!) will tell if it works!
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:

Thanks!
Jenny
I started with 500 DD's but if you can start lower that is also fine. Start on an UD so you will go into the DD was adequate nutrition to make it thorugh your first DD. Good luck in your journey.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
Is there anyone with PCOS doing JUDDD? I just wondered what kind of response people have to it?

I have PCOS, although not sure if insulin resistant. I know that I tend to lose weight so much better on low carb (under 25g a day) than any other "diet".

However I get some real headaches on low carb, even after the first few weeks. I like to generally eat lowER carbs, but really miss some things like sweet potato and some fruits.

I just wondered how effecting JUDDD would be for someone with PCOS. If I was to stick to say 100 - 120g of carbs a day.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Just had a quick look at the JUDDD site and it mentions that you can use shakes / bars for the first two weeks. Is that really needed or just a recommendation based on the fact that it can be difficult to stick to 500 cals a day?
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
Just had a quick look at the JUDDD site and it mentions that you can use shakes / bars for the first two weeks. Is that really needed or just a recommendation based on the fact that it can be difficult to stick to 500 cals a day?
You don't need to use the shakes. I bought them when I started and they are still sitting in my fridge (almost 6 months later!). If it helps you to use them, go for it, if you want real food, do that! It's just recommended to help keep you right at the DD calorie limit when getting started.

Welcome everyone!!! what a great bunch!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
You don't need to use the shakes. I bought them when I started and they are still sitting in my fridge (almost 6 months later!). If it helps you to use them, go for it, if you want real food, do that! It's just recommended to help keep you right at the DD calorie limit when getting started.

Welcome everyone!!! what a great bunch!

Thanks! I just had a weekend of eating higher carbs so pretty sure I am out of ketosis. I was going to get back to the very LC way of eating tomorrow but I might actually give this a go. I'll treat today as my first UD and then tomorrow as my first DD. Will plan a few days out tonight using a tracker and and least give this a go for a few weeks and see how I get on.

One of the things I like about very LC is that it controls my cravings for food, so will be interesting to see how this works
Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlett46
Stats: 179/150/135 5'3" 43yo
WOE: SB/JUDDD
Start Date: SB: 6/2007 JUDDD: 4/2013
Welcome all of you who are "newer than me"...

After (not quite) 2 weeks, I have decided to try and change up my numbers. Since I am doing P90X, I originally plugged in my numbers for "hard exercise." But dang, that's a lot of calories for an UD! So I cut it back to "moderate exercise" before even starting. I still think this is high, and I've been feeling ok through my workouts so far; so I'm going to switch it down to "light exercise" and see how this works.
Scarlett46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #84

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloveLeaf View Post
Could someone please help me with a newbie question? I am a bit confused about IF vs JUDDD. I am currently doing a 6 to 8 hour eating window every day. And I do 24 hour fasting on Wednesdays and Sundays, of course low carb Does this sound like a good plan? Would I still get the benefit of JUDDD this way? I just started this for a week and it is almost my TOM, so I didn't really see much difference on scale. It is slowly going down, though. And I am more interested in the health benefits of JUDDD than losing weight.

TIA
JUDDD is another form of IF. With JUDDD, though, and the 36(ish) hour "fast" you get many other health benefits from the activation of the sirtuins, the clean up and repair enzymes/genes. I don't think you get that with IF with just eating windows, but I don't really know.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #85

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Is there anyone with PCOS doing JUDDD? I just wondered what kind of response people have to it?

I have PCOS, although not sure if insulin resistant. I know that I tend to lose weight so much better on low carb (under 25g a day) than any other "diet".

However I get some real headaches on low carb, even after the first few weeks. I like to generally eat lowER carbs, but really miss some things like sweet potato and some fruits.

I just wondered how effecting JUDDD would be for someone with PCOS. If I was to stick to say 100 - 120g of carbs a day.
There are a few here with PCOS and they've done really well (Carly comes to mind, specifically). Regarding carbs, JUDDD doesn't care what you eat, just when and how much. I eat whatever I want, and have lost over 120 pounds. I am NOT carb sensitive, though, and some do still keep it low carb or lower carb with JUDDD. It's all up to your personal body and preferences.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
There are a few here with PCOS and they've done really well (Carly comes to mind, specifically). Regarding carbs, JUDDD doesn't care what you eat, just when and how much. I eat whatever I want, and have lost over 120 pounds. I am NOT carb sensitive, though, and some do still keep it low carb or lower carb with JUDDD. It's all up to your personal body and preferences.
Thanks for your reply. That sounds quite positive I'll give this a go and see how I do
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
I did the first two weeks on shakes. Easy to count and I did not have to obsess about food. bars - no. I still use shakes on DD's if I am traveling or too busy to eat.
The book says it is to make it easy to keep up with calories.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #88
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:

Thanks!
Jenny
Jenny! Your numbers sound right to me too. We're all scared when we start JUDDDing, for one reason or another. Even if you gain a little at first, it'll quickly go away and the real losses will begin. It seems impossible, but it really does work! Get a good UD under your belt and then dive into a good DD. You can start your DDs anywhere you want at 500 or lower. Just play it by ear and see what feels right to you. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmich View Post
I actually ended up w/a DD on Saturday and MD on Sunday. I'm just thinking long term and this is what I think will work, but it's trial and error for me right now.

I started at 162.8 last Monday and am at 159.5 today. I'm happy with that!!!

Will check back in a bit on everyone!
Great loss! Isn't it motivating?

Quote:

JUDDD is so flexible, you can do whatever works best for you! Be aware though, that you may lose a little slower not sticking to EOD rotations. That said, it's better than if you're really struggling on the weekends. Let us know what you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayBlue View Post

TuesdayBlue! I'm so glad you've been reading up. Good luck on getting started, and be sure to post your questions (you'll have them ) and results, which I hope are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloveLeaf View Post

TIA
CloveLeaf! Dawn is right, JUDDD is a very specific type of IF. I don't know if science has figured out exactly about the health benefits of the different methods yet. All I know is I am so happy with JUDDD. For me, TOM is a week where my weight just isn't predictable at all, but I know good things are still happening to my body.

Quote:
Stardust! I never did the shakes. I usually have coffee with cream for my breakfast and sometimes my lunch too on DDs. Figure out what satisfies your stomach, your tongue and your head, and you'll have it down! Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
Checking in since tomorrow will be one week for me. I am down 6 pounds and happy about that. I had a bad headache on day #3 but expected that so just went with it. I am having no trouble with calories on a DD, but eating a little over on my UP.

Unfortunately I didn't always plan my UP meals and added up after the fact to find out I was about 200 over. :-( Live and learn.

Today is a DD and I'm not hungry, so going with it - however I found I do better with a little protein with my coffee and I feel better. Today was one slice of bacon and one cup of coffee and I feel full. LOL... strange to say that.

I do need to be sure to get in enough water - for whatever reason it's a problem for me. :-( Off to have a big glass of H2O!!
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #90
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I am just having a terrible time getting myself on any schedule! I have been sick this week and early in the day eating is baaad, Then I am not hungry and force myself to eat supper most days, so my calories are not low enough to be DDs and not high enough to be UDs. I am giving myself today to just eat to appetite, and making tomorrow an up day to get things going.

According to the calculator I need:

UD 2310
DD 462
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote