Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daisyjane82
WOE: Moderate Carbs/ JUDDD
Start Date: 5/2/2013
I'm a Newbie - Starting my JUDDD journey and hoping it works

Hi Guys, Iíve decided to try the JUDDD diet and track my progress. I guess Iíll tell you a little about me firstÖ

My name is Daisy, Iím 33 years old, 5 foot 5 inches and live in San Francisco. Most of my life I was very slim with little to no problem with my weight. In college I was 109, then in my later twenties I went up to 122. By 30, I was 129. Just this year, I started really gaining weight. It began to collect around my thighs, stomach and upper arms. I was noticing cellulite for the first time. It was strange for me because Iím more active than Iíve ever been. I walk 2 miles to work and back nearly every day. I also run about 30 minutes on the treadmill every 2 -3 days. I went on the scale and was surprised to see I was 147 lbs. I looked in the mirror and my body didnít look like my own.

Then I started getting bloated and having digestive issues. It was so bad I had to go to the ER because I thought I had appendicitis. It turns out it was nothing. They also did a test for Hypothyroidism (it runs in my family) but they said there was no indication in my blood test that this was the case. I started a low calorie diet (in the past this would work like a charm, If I had a beach vacation I would just go Lo-Cal and work out for 3 weeks. I would easily drop 10 lbs.) This time it didnít work! Iím just not losing any weight at all. Iíve been trying for 3 months now! Itís like my metabolism just decided to stop working! I tried a low carb diet for 2 weeks and actually GAINED weight. I went up to 152 lbs! All my pants are tight on me and I look bloated in everything I put on. Iím reduced to wearing flowing tops and my baggiest pants. My confidence has dropped and Iím trying to hide my weight gain from my husband by wearing full body pajamas and his oversized shirts. I feel like crying all the time because I lost control of my own body weight. Itís incredibly frustrating and upsetting!

I read about the Alternative day diet online and I really think this might be the diet I need to try in order to get my body back in check and lose these unwanted lbs. I want to combine it with moderate low-carb diet. I just really want to lose 15 lbs and fit into my jeans again.

Iím hoping this will work for me. Iím not going to start officially until Thursday. Today, I reduced my calorie intake today in preparation. I just had a large salad, small smoothie and cucumber with mango salsa. Iíll probably have a glass of pinot grigio tonight, but thatís it. Tomorrow Iíll eat what I want and Thursday Iíll officially stick to 500 calories. I can do this!

So thatís my story! Hello to everyone! How has this diet worked for you and do you have any advice for a newbie?

Sincerely,
Daisy
Daisyjane82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
! JUDDD has been life changing for me! I hope you love it as much as I do!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Carly for your welcome!! I'm really optimistic about this diet plan!

I just saw your before and after pictures! Your weight loss is truly an inspiration!!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
The best advice I can give is to follow your rotations, at the calories given by the calculator, for a full month before you decide if this is for you or not. Sometimes it takes that long for the benefits to kick in. Sometimes they're immediately apparent.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyjane82 View Post
Thanks Carly for your welcome!! I'm really optimistic about this diet plan!

I just saw your before and after pictures! Your weight loss is truly an inspiration!!
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14

I'm a little different as I've struggled with weight my whole life. But like you it got really bad (I just turned 33 as well) in the last year or so. Nothing was working and like you I started gaining on low carb. I've only been on JUDDD a month and I've already even had a "free" long weekend of eating for my birthday. But its working. It is the first thing that has worked for me in so long I still almost don't believe it. Even my weekend of binge didn't do too much damage and I easily jumped right back in.

Good luck!!!
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Kieras Mom! I'll keep that mind! I'll stick with it and remain patient with this diet plan

AndyBfk - thank you for the welcome! So glad to hear it's working for you! That really gives me hope that it will work for me too!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #8

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Daisy! It really does work! Read all you can on all the JUDDD threads and you'll be amazed at the stories. You'll also learn about potential roadblocks, helpful hints, recipes and just make new friends!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome LoCarbGal! I've just begun reading all the threads and there is so much information to absorb and so much to learn. This is an amazing resource. It will take me a few days to take it all in. I'm excited!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

UPDATE: Day 1 of my JUDDD diet. I'm on an UP day. So far it's going great

I talked to some of my co-workers about the JUDDD and alternate day diet. I thought I would get some other people to join me on this journey or some enthusiastic responses. Like: "Awesome! Go for it! Good luck!"

All I got was criticism! Has anyone else experienced this kind of reaction from friends? My co-worker said it didn't sound healthy and that I shouldn't do it. "500 calories?? You're basically going to starve yourself every other day?! That's crazy!"

My other friend sent me this article
Fasting diets dismissed as a fad by nutrition experts who warn of the dangers of starving the body of vital nutrients | Mail Online

He wrote: "Just moderate your eating and work out. That's all. Don't follow some fad diet"

That's what I HAVE been doing for MONTHS! With No results!

I realized they weren't going to understand where I was coming from. So I dropped the subject.

Tomorrow is my first down day.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I never could have lost 75+ pounds and kept it off effortlessly with out juddd. That is a fact, but I didn't tell people what I was doing in the beginning. I still don't tell very many people the specifics, but at this point my weight loss and increased vitality speaks volumes so no one really responds that way now if they really push me for an explanation.

I just tell people I am counting calories- this is true.
If they pushed more I said I am calorie cycling.
If they were insistant I said google The Alternate Day Diet.

Try not to be discouraged by what others say. Do your own research if you want- other wise give it a go for 3 weeks and then decide if it's healthy for you.

I've been juddding for 14 mos and I'm healthier than ever!!!!!!!!!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Daisy,
Yah, sadly, I think a lot of people have gotten that response. There are a couple threads on it specifically and the daily chat threads are full of it. Here's one:
Doing JUDDD without telling my family
I got a kinda poo-poo response when I first told people. I didn't tell anyone except my husband that I was going to try to start losing weight, I explained to him how I was going to do it and he was like whatever you wanna do babe! He's incredibly supportive. I eventually told my mom when I saw her in the beginning of March because she noticed the weight loss.
I tried to tell a couple people at work when I'd lost enough weight that it was noticeable. I got a phooey from them, but they still had to be respectful in their phooey-ing simply because of where I rank in the hierarchy of things so I'm sure I wasn't treated to their full opinion. Funny enough, they don't bat an eyelash at my potato days and, in fact, have attributed all of my weight loss to the potato days. People keep saying, "Gee, those potatoes are really working!" Sure, okay, its easier to let them think that. Since I combo my DDs and potato days then its just easier to say potatoes & rice. For some reason that I can't fathom, people are more comfortable with me eating nothing but potatoes or rice than they are with ADF, calorie cycling and JUDDD.
I think people secretly want us to fail. Skinny people don't want the competition. Overweight people don't want to be "shown up". (Previous statement acknowledged as a gross generalization.) Or, they want you to be suffering in your success. Visibly suffering. So maybe that's why my work people are ok with potatoes ("Oh, poor her, eating nothing but plain potatoes, how she must be suffering for her weight loss") but not ok with EOD fasting since I can eat anything I want (essentially) on my UDs. People are weird.
Talk to us, we're awesome.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

I hear/read stories like this all the time and it makes me both sad and grateful. I'm sad for other people in their narrow minds and for how they treat those of us trying to get healthier. I'm immensely grateful that I've had nothing but support from everyone around me. From family to friends to coworkers, everyone has been great, and I haven't been shy about my eating habits or what plan I follow. I'm so sorry everyone can't be so lucky.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yep, know the response well! Don't care either because it works and I love it...so I don't care! people will quiet down when they start noticing how,well you are losing. Lol! Anyhoo, a big welcome to you!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #15

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I think Jen is right, lots of people are jealous and want us to fail. Sad that that is human nature, but it is what it is. I have only told my immediate family and 2 of my best friends. My mom has joined me and been doing it for 2 months and is having slow but steady losses (she's almost 80, and doesn't want to go any lower than 500 on DDs and doesn't count on UDs). One friend has gotten the Fast Diet book and is thinking about it.

Other than that, I remember the responses I got 15 years ago when starting LC. I don't want to deal with any of that again, so I just don't tell. People know me for a long time LCer, and have assumed I'm doing the same thing now, and I haven't disabused them of that (I hope that's the right word - it's late and I'm tired!)

Yes, talk to us! We get it! And we all know it's true, and it's healthy. Just like with LC, I wonder how they think it can be less healthy to go on an eating plan to lose than it is to be overweight or obese? People.....

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Welcome Daisy. Glad you've found us!

This isn't a fast-loss diet but it's a very sustainable way of eating that has helped me to shift rolls of fat I'd been resigned to carrying for the last 20 years.

Do use all the support that's available on this forum. The JUDDD BUDDDs are awesome!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #17

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WELCOME TO OUR JUDDD CORNER OF THE WORLD.

I don't really tell anyone the specifics of my diet. All I say, if they ask , is that I am calorie cycling. It's really none of their business anyway!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Daisy,
Yah, sadly, I think a lot of people have gotten that response. There are a couple threads on it specifically and the daily chat threads are full of it. Here's one:
Doing JUDDD without telling my family
I got a kinda poo-poo response when I first told people. I didn't tell anyone except my husband that I was going to try to start losing weight, I explained to him how I was going to do it and he was like whatever you wanna do babe! He's incredibly supportive. I eventually told my mom when I saw her in the beginning of March because she noticed the weight loss.
I tried to tell a couple people at work when I'd lost enough weight that it was noticeable. I got a phooey from them, but they still had to be respectful in their phooey-ing simply because of where I rank in the hierarchy of things so I'm sure I wasn't treated to their full opinion. Funny enough, they don't bat an eyelash at my potato days and, in fact, have attributed all of my weight loss to the potato days. People keep saying, "Gee, those potatoes are really working!" Sure, okay, its easier to let them think that. Since I combo my DDs and potato days then its just easier to say potatoes & rice. For some reason that I can't fathom, people are more comfortable with me eating nothing but potatoes or rice than they are with ADF, calorie cycling and JUDDD.
I think people secretly want us to fail. Skinny people don't want the competition. Overweight people don't want to be "shown up". (Previous statement acknowledged as a gross generalization.) Or, they want you to be suffering in your success. Visibly suffering. So maybe that's why my work people are ok with potatoes ("Oh, poor her, eating nothing but plain potatoes, how she must be suffering for her weight loss") but not ok with EOD fasting since I can eat anything I want (essentially) on my UDs. People are weird.
Talk to us, we're awesome.
Can I say this too: I secretly LOVE eating anything I want on UDs and flaunting it. My co-workers and family have been very supportive, but most of the people who want to lose weight (at work) are not willing to go this route. So, I just keep losing and eating sausage biscuits for breakfast and fried chicken for lunch.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Can I say this too: I secretly LOVE eating anything I want on UDs and flaunting it. My co-workers and family have been very supportive, but most of the people who want to lose weight (at work) are not willing to go this route. So, I just keep losing and eating sausage biscuits for breakfast and fried chicken for lunch.
Oh Cindy, how alike we are! I love my "eating" days at work too... Its funny when we have a cake or something and I have a piece. People look at me like "Aren't you on a diet?" I say "Yup!" as I take a gigantic bite of my cake! And smile!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Carly, Yennie, KeirasMom, Flutter, LoCarbGal, Flossyliz, Zipp2play &, librarygirl for sharing your experiences and for your warm welcoming messages. I truly appreciate it!! It’s good to know I’m not alone. It’s unfortunate that people have to be so judgmental instead of supportive. It’s easy for someone to type in "JUDDD is bad" into google and send me a link to an opinion piece. It’s harder to put yourself into the shoes of someone that isn’t happy with their body and trying to do something new to change that. I think I’ll just keep this to myself and with my husband. It’s good to have a support group here too. I think once I start losing weight and looking more healthy the naysayers will stop with the criticism.

I was dubious myself when I first read about JUDDD/alternative day diet. I thought “That sounds pretty ridiculous - Surely that can not work” but I started reading more about it and hearing positive reviews so I decided to go for it despite my friend’s discouraging remarks.

Now that I’m starting it, I’m seeing that it actually does work!

I weighed myself on Monday and I was 151 – ON Tuesday I reduced my calories in preparation for starting to about 800 calories that day, the next day I ate what I wanted and today is my first official DOWN day. It’s easier than I thought it would be!

I’m drinking a lot of Smart Water and Herbal Teas. I found these great tasting Uncured chicken hotdogs at Trader Joes. Only 60 calories and 2.5 grams of fat. I had one this morning for breakfast and for lunch I had a spinach salad with Red bell peppers and some chopped mushrooms + Cucumbers. The dressing I had added 45 calories (I realized this afterwards so I have to watch out about that in the future) I found out that cucumbers are great just on their own. They’re a great snack, low in calories and curbs your hunger. So far I feel really good.

Amazingly I just stepped on the scale and it said I was 148 lbs! That amazed me! Months of trying different diets and working out like crazy, the most I lost was about 2 lbs.
Could I really have lost 4 lbs already? That’s impossible. It’s probably just water weight, I realize that. I shouldn’t start celebrating yet… but seeing results THIS early is incredibly encouraging. I’m definitely going to keep this up!!

I have a question about alcohol on Down Days. I have plans with a friend tonight to go to a Wine Bar. We had planned this two weeks ago, I can’t back out of it now. She would think it’s really weird if I ordered just water. Are you allowed to drink wine on down days? I have about 200 calories left. What are your thoughts on that? Have any of you had a drink on down days and how did that affect your progress?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't drink, so can't help... But if you have the calories, JUDDD doesn't care what you consume, just that you respect your calorie limits.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #22

I have not had drinks on a DD, though I nearly always have drinks on my UD!

There have been a couple of threads about it over the last year or two. I can't remember the titles, but if you do a search, you might find them. Kissa (Cindy) sometimes has wine on a DD with no problems. Several people have mentioned that DDs just make them a cheap date (just get tipsier since there's no food in their system). I don't see any problem with it, if it's within your calories, and you're monitoring for any ill effects or exaggerated effects. I say, have fun!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I once saved all my DD calories for a wine & popcorn date with a girlfriend while we had a marathon of our favorite TV show. I just looked at different wine calorie contents & bought the one with the lowest cals/glass that was within our taste preference. Then I bought the lowest cal popcorn I could find. I drank water for each glass of wine (and because we both salt the heck outta our stuff) to make sure I didn't bloat and - voila - the scale went down the next day!
You're not gonna blow it - go have fun!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Carly, Keiras Mom and Yennie!

I ended up having 2 glasses of white wine last night with my friend at the wine bar and I was definitely a ďcheap dateĒ. I felt like I had consumed an entire bottle and I was very light headed. I drank a lot of water after that and I was okay again. I think Iíll avoid alcohol during DD moving forward. If I do have a drink it will be ONE glass of wine. Not two. That also used up my remaining 200 calories. I would have rather had something more nutritious. Lesson learned.

I had my first successful down day. It really wasnít so bad. I wouldnít call down days ďfunĒ per se but it was not as hard as I imagined it would be.

Today is my UP day and I weighed in at 147.5 this morning. I probably shouldnít be weighing myself every day, but itís just so exciting to see progress! I had a delicious omelette this morning and Iím feeling great! I feel like I have more energy than usual which is awesome.

I know youíre supposed to eat whatever you want on UP DAYS, but how many calories on average do you usually consume on an UD? I donít want to consume too few because I read the ďYou gotta eat!Ē thread and I donít want to fall into starvation mode. I also donít want to eat so much that I gain everything back Iíve already lost. Itís hard for me because Iím used to dieting being about denying yourself the things you want. The idea of doing this only every other day is going to take some getting used to.

Itís almost lunch time and Iím thinking ďI can really just go eat that cheeseburger? REALLY?Ē
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
The only thing I've found with wine on DD is my judgement can lapse (especially after 2 glasses...) and then I might eat over my cals. Since this is all exciting and new you probably will stick with it, but it is a bit of a trap for me...

LOL - I just saw we posted at the same time - glad you worked it out and had a great time!!
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyjane82 View Post

I know youíre supposed to eat whatever you want on UP DAYS, but how many calories on average do you usually consume on an UD? I donít want to consume too few because I read the ďYou gotta eat!Ē thread and I donít want to fall into starvation mode.

Itís almost lunch time and Iím thinking ďI can really just go eat that cheeseburger? REALLY?Ē
YES, you can eat that cheeseburger!! LOL At around 150, I'd shoot for about 2000 cals for the day give or take a few hundred. (I'm 142 and I try for 1600-2200) That is 3 nice sized meals. I used to "save up" for a big dinner and then found I wouldn't eat enough at dinner. It would screw up my DD as I would be hungry often. Now I try to be more balanced. Works for me - hope you find your balance. :-)
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I wouldn't guess at how many calories you need. Google "JUDDD calculator" and when you go to the site, scroll down and input your height, weight and age and choose "little to no exercise (20%)" to see what your UD and DD calories should be. Also, be sure to set the parameters to inches, pounds, and years.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 203/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Yes, you can haz cheeseburger!...yesterday I made something that was always a bingey kinda thing...creamed salmon and peas over potatoes...i know, weird, right? But a comfort food...and it's OK!
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
The only thing I've found with wine on DD is my judgement can lapse (especially after 2 glasses...) and then I might eat over my cals. Since this is all exciting and new you probably will stick with it, but it is a bit of a trap for me...

LOL - I just saw we posted at the same time - glad you worked it out and had a great time!!
yep...my solo casual drinking is a big landmine...and most likely the main reason i gained all this weight in the first place......
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

there are 600 calories in a bottle of white wine, BTW