Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Curious about the numbers...BG/ Lipids/ B/P, or other markers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802892-curious-about-numbers-bg-lipids-b-p-other-markers.html)

grannysmith 04-26-2013 03:35 PM

Curious about the numbers...BG/ Lipids/ B/P, or other markers

I'm guessing many of the older(chronologically speaking) folks here have B/P, cholesterol/lipids, blood glucose issues. Maybe some of the young'uns, too.

How have those numbers changed for you JUDDDagenarians?

Doing strict Low Carb was the first time in my life that I had a normal B/P for my age! I'm just curious how ADF affects any of these levels.

Carly 04-26-2013 04:23 PM

My A1C went from 9.8 to 5.6 in 1 yr of juddding only the first month was low carb.

KeirasMom 04-26-2013 04:57 PM

I don't have my labs in front of me, but I know in the past my triglycerides and cholesterol overall were borderline and my BP has been all over the place, both high and low. My most recent labs, about a year into JUDDD were phenomenal in all areas. The doctor said they couldn't be better, except for my thyroid hormone which is unrelated. My BP has been low since JUDDDing, averaging 100/60 but often lower than that.

Librarygirl 04-26-2013 08:12 PM

I always had low/normal BP before gaining 70+ lbs. I hope it goes back to the good readings I always had consistently when I lose a little more. I don't take BP meds and never have. It is not that high, but it is higher than it used to be. Hopefully, weight loss will take care of it.

Yennie 04-26-2013 09:08 PM

I'll be watching the responses of this thread with interest. I'm intreigued by your numbers, Dawn.
My dad, who is overweight but nowhere near obese, has high cholesterol. Not sure how the numbers fall, exactly but his doctor wants him on statins. He actually was supposed to be on statins before but my dad chose not to take them and instead modified his diet and lost about 8-10 pounds. Went back for his recheck and I guess the numbers are a bit higher even with diet & weight loss.
I DO. NOT. want my dad on statins. I'm only just starting to research other dietary and natural methods for lowering cholesterol but I wonder if the SIRTs could help out.

grannysmith 04-26-2013 10:36 PM

I have a full bottle of simvastatin sitting unused, my Dr wanted me to start it 2 1/2 mos ago...I don't really buy into the concept either...I just put off my blood work for three more weeks to see what I can accomplish dietwise in that time. I'm thinking it's going to have to be fairly low-carb, my BGs are too high for my lipids to possibly be better.

grannysmith 04-26-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16395765)
My A1C went from 9.8 to 5.6 in 1 yr of juddding only the first month was low carb.

Wowza!...were you on meds for that? That's like insulin-dependent high... then down to normal. My a1c s are OK, but only because I'm obsessive about my blood sugar.

LoCarbGal 04-26-2013 11:24 PM

I have the same feelings about statins, Jen, but only from very brief things I've read. I'd love to know specifically why you don't think they are good.

Yennie 04-26-2013 11:41 PM

There have been some long term cognitive side effects reported with continued statin use.
This is in addition to the potential derangement in liver function, muscle metabolism and some kidney affects of the previous two.
And this is all in the name of some numbers on a piece of paper for some semi-unproven science that high cholesterol/LDLs increase the risk of cardiac disease. There is now evidence that it isn't actually the cholesterol that causes the problem but inflammation and a component in metabolism of carnitine (don't remember the details, I'll have to dig it out) that leads to heart disease.
But, you know, without all that the drug companies won't make their millions selling pills to the masses.

LoCarbGal 04-26-2013 11:47 PM

Thanks Jen. You're so right about the drug companies, and doctors (in my opinion) can be downright negligent in their kneejerk prescribing of drugs like these. I'll keep this info in my back pocket just in case I or any family members have it recommended or prescribed.

Carly 04-27-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannysmith (Post 16396253)
Wowza!...were you on meds for that? That's like insulin-dependent high... then down to normal. My a1c s are OK, but only because I'm obsessive about my blood sugar.

I was on Byetta injection 2x per day. Now... nothing!

I have PCOS so I will keep getting monitored, but the endo says if I keep the weight off my BG should stay good.

deedee 05-20-2013 06:47 PM

JB's, you're all so knowledgeable about these things that I was hoping people might have some more info on this?

I just got my most recent lipids back and, as always, my doctor mentions statins. I think she does it to protect herself from any malpractice suit, but it always stresses me out. These are my most recent numbers:

Total cholesterol: 220
LDL: 138
HDL: 68
Trig: 80

That's the lowest I have been able to get my triglycerides in YEARS, and that includes when I was very low carb. That's the highest my HDL has been in years, and while my LDL might be a little high, she's using the guidelines for diabetics, despite how tightly controlled my bg is. There's no way I'm going on a statin at 33 years old, but I'm wondering if I need to do more to lower my LDL? I have heard that while you're in the process of losing weight your cholesterol can be all over the place. Has anyone else had experience with that?

When I plug my numbers into the ratio calculator this is what I get:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.24 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your LDL/HDL ratio is: 1.868 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 2.0) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.176 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

But she didn't mention ratios at all.

grannysmith 05-21-2013 12:02 PM

those numbers and ratios look great to me! I think you're right about M.Ds pushing statins as a CYA strategy. I wish i could definitively say that triglycerides go up during rapid weight loss, but that makes sense...when the body is mobilizing fat, where else does it go if not into the bloodstream? The fact that your HDLs are so good says the process of removing cholesterol is going well.

Personally, i refuse to think 220 is bad...mine was 290, that's a bit more worrisome, still, my ratios are ok..not great, but ok.

grannysmith 05-21-2013 12:04 PM

Have you tried fish oil?

deedee 05-21-2013 12:07 PM

Thank you Lynn! I think I just needed a little reassurance.

I do take fish oil, and cod liver oil. Nothing really seems to change my LDL, but my trigs going down so much since I started JUDDD really surprised me, since I'm eating more carbs than before.

You know, there is a new school of thought that says cholesterol is good and protective. The Weston Price foundation advocates that. It's all very confusing, especially when doctors are supposed to know about these things!

SlowSure 05-21-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedee (Post 16434144)
You know, there is a new school of thought that says cholesterol is good and protective.

Amongst various difficulties for individuals is that guidelines have to be drawn up for the General Public and therefore say little about individual variation, demographic differences etc.

Chris Kresser has written a 5-parter on his site: The Diet-Heart Myth

I don't agree with parts of it but it is a good overview of lipids, LDL etc. and what various items are and even an indication of how some are influenced by diet.

Genetics and family history will sometimes make a GP (understandably) cautious and ready to promote a precautionary principle.

deedee 05-21-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Genetics and family history will sometimes make a GP (understandably) cautious and ready to promote a precautionary principle.
I understand that, but that hasn't been my experience. Most doctors seem ready to prescribe a statin at the drop of a hat.

Kimmietoo 05-21-2013 12:25 PM

I do think the CYA strategy runs rampant. Big pharma also plays a huge role. I have finally found an MD naturopath that is covered on my insurance plan. We discussed how if bioidentical hormones caused health problems, that big pharma would be all over it. They are not, because after decades of use, there are no problems to report! I am looking forward to getting my thyroid treatment back to natural hormones. I was treated with them for thirty years and was fine....and have been unable to find a doctor willing to prescribe them again until now. Gheeze!:mad:

I could talk on this topic for hours but I would bore you guys to death. :notwrthy:

Kimmie

deedee 05-21-2013 12:27 PM

Kimmie, I am actually very interested in bioidentical hormones. I'd love to hear more about your experience with them. I don't have thyroid issues but I have PCOS and other hormonal problems. How did you go about finding a naturopath that your insurance covers?

grannysmith 05-21-2013 12:29 PM

When you consider a lipid profile as a snapshot, which it is, just like BG, instead of as an entry on your permanent record, the ratios stand out as a much more important measure of long-term lipid metabolism... I don't know why M.D.s are so hung up on total cholesterol.

Your drop in trigs IS great, I wouldn't have expected that either. How can a Dr ignore that kind of trend?

How bad is your diabetes?

I just blew off my last test on Friday cause I had to take prednisone for a few days, and i knew my levels would be totally screwed.

deedee 05-21-2013 12:34 PM

That's one of my biggest issues with my endo. I like her well enough, but she doesn't seem to look at trends at all. I had to remind her that I've lost 75 pounds so far. I guess she just has too many patients to keep up.

My diabetes has never been bad. I was diagnosed with an A1C of 5.2 (which is considered non-diabetic) so they caught it very very early on. My bg never goes above 140 an hour after a meal. I know doctors tend to be more cautious of all things when dealing with a diabetic, but I wish she'd look at the total picture.

Quote:

I just blew off my last test on Friday cause I had to take prednisone for a few days, and i knew my levels would be totally screwed.
That was probably a really good call. Were you getting new labs as part of an annual visit, or did you want to see if there was a change from JUDDD?

LoCarbGal 05-21-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedee (Post 16434203)
That's one of my biggest issues with my endo. I like her well enough, but she doesn't seem to look at trends at all. I had to remind her that I've lost 75 pounds so far. I guess she just has too many patients to keep up.

But having lots of patients is no excuse. How can a good doctor NOT be looking at overall trends? That tells the picture so much better than that snapshot that Lynn refers to. That is their job. As a businesswoman, I would be remiss to look at one quarter's financial report without knowing the context of what the prior years' results are, and without taking into consideration the overall economy.

It seems like sometimes doctors are just looking for things they can fix in that moment. A comment like "you need to lose 50 pounds" without noticing "you've lost 100 pounds in the last year" is ludicrous.

And Kimmie, you could not bore me with this stuff. I wish I was more knowledgeable and I love reading what those of you with more expertise and experience have to say.

grannysmith 05-21-2013 12:53 PM

It was supposed to be a recheck after going on simvastatin 4 mos ago...which i took for 2 weeks, and it made me feel like shite, so i quit. But that was when I started seriously trying to lose wt again, doing low-carb.

My GP is great about keeping up with new research, for instance, she caught a Vit D deficiency a couple years ago, and put me on Lovaza for high trigs when I refused statins the first time. But I do have pretty dismal heredity, ALL my relatives died of CAD except my grandma, who had gallbladder/liver cancer. my A1cs are normal, too, but I've had FBG in the 150s and random PP checks in the 190s. And they started creeping up when i stopped watching carbs on JUDDD.

Kimmietoo 05-23-2013 11:00 AM

Here is how I found my naturopath MD.

I have been taking Levoxyl for my hypothyroidism. Pfizer has recalled all doses of this medication recently and it is not expected to be available again until 2014. While I don't really care for Levoxyl, I like Synthroid even less (both are synthetic big pharma t4 only medications). Knowing that I was looking down the barrel of a Synthroid replacement, I started researching currently available meds and read on a Yahoo blog that Nature-throid had a website that listed MDs that prescribed this natural t3/t4 medication. Once I found the doctors that practiced locally that would prescribe it, I checked their feedback and checked for inclusion on my insurance plan. Bingo! I found a wonderful doctor less than 30 minutes away who NEVER prescribes any synthetic hormones. YAY! I go back next Tuesday to review labs and see where we need to go.

Doctors like this are difficult to find, but they are out there. Don't give up! People travel from other states to see her; how blessed am I to have her be so near.

Kimmie

KeirasMom 05-23-2013 02:24 PM

My endo is leaving the T3 decision up to me, which I appreciate. I'm really lucky to have found her. I'm not taking anything but Synthroid right now, but I like that I can ask for, and receive, something else if I need it.

krow134 05-23-2013 05:28 PM

Well, in my year on JUDDD I lost 42lbs regained 30 due to hormones/issues that also screwed EVERYTHING!

I was diagnosed with POF/premature menopause and it sent my blood work crazy!

Cholesterol 264 (High)
HDL 34 (low)
LDL 183 (High)
VLDL 47 (High)
Trig 234 (High)
Glucose 97 (normal/higher range)
A1C 5.6 (normal/pre-diabetic)
Estrogen 15 (very low)
FSH 47 (high)

My GP put me on Simvastin and Losartan. My BP always has run high even when I was a skinny thing in my youth. But its gotten really really high now. The simvastin is because well as my GP put it.......I am a 38 year old with a body wanting to act like its 50. So I promised to take the simvastin til July and try to lose atleast 20 of the lbs I gained since Jan. then do another blood test and try to come back off them. Then in Oct. I have to have another blood draw for my gynie so he said he wants a copy to see the changes to see if I am not one that might have to take it. I didnt want the simvastin at all! But he said my ratio's are horrible and I really needed the intervention. He also said the 20lbs will help with the A1C, he thinks if I dont get down to a smaller weight, I will end up diabetic with in 2 years. BUT he also thinks if my gynie will ever put me on HRT, then most of this will resolve. But she is being stubborn and wont do anything like that til the next blood work numbers are in.

I am working on it all..........sometimes I feel like my feet are in quicksand and I am not getting anywhere....but hopefully that will all change!