Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Isn't Glumetza the same thing as Metformin, just sold under a different name?
Yes, so it appears! I will avoid Glumetza like the plague!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Yes, so it appears! I will avoid Glumetza like the plague!
I hope your doctor finds something that works for you Carly! I can't imagine having TOM every ten days.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I hope your doctor finds something that works for you Carly! I can't imagine having TOM every ten days.
I'm making Always and Tampex very wealthy
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I would not be able to handle that So sorry you are dealing with THAT Carly. Ugh!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I would not be able to handle that So sorry you are dealing with THAT Carly. Ugh!!!
The sad thing is I'm kinda getting used to it. It started in the last year, before that I only got TOM like 3x a year. You know what they say about payback...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Quote:
Isn't Glumetza the same thing as Metformin, just sold under a different name?
Glumetza is not as hard on your stomach.

Found this online:
GLUMETZA is an extended-release metformin. Unlike immediate-release metformin, GLUMETZA uses advanced drug delivery technology that delivers metformin slowly and steadily over several hours.
This delay in the release of metformin may result in fewer stomach-related side effects, such as nausea, in the first week of taking your type 2 diabetes medication.

Last edited by lc-chica; 05-01-2013 at 07:59 AM..
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Oh interesting lc-chica. I have seen people on these forums talk about taking extended release Metformim, but it was still called Metformin. It's still the same drug, it's just extended release.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Glumetza is more expensive though, FYI.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Hope you find a solution soon, Carly -- that sucks

I take the extended release Metformin (just called Metformin XR on the pharmacy label) -- well, I should say that I have a prescription for it, I'm not currently taking it. Since starting JUDDD, I've tried it for a couple of days -- I was like a... I don't even know how to describe -- a drowsy zombie! lol. I could barely stay awake. My theory is that JUDDD is stabilizing my blood glucose on its own and that the Met was simply overkill. For everyone's info, I don't get the nausea on the XR met, but I do get other digestive "symptoms" -- let's just say I'm a frequent guest of the bathroom, to be crude. :P

I'm not taking anything right now and my fasting # is under 95 with JUDDD -- but, if anyone is interested in natural alternatives, I've taken 'Cinsulin' (mix of concentrated cinnamon and chromium) with success as well as an amino acid called NAC that has been clinically proven to work like Met. Only problem is that NAC sometimes works TOO well and lowers a bit too much. That was the case with me -- I ended up in the 70's and feeling WOnKY.
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and by the way -- got my appointment for my bioidentical hormone replacement consultation. May 14th! They went over the costs with me on the phone, if anyones curious (ouch. :/)

Initial consult: $299
labs (saliva): $240-400
follow-up visit: $175

Is this pretty standard or am I being taken for a ride here? My insurance won't cover anything (of COURSE.) What do you gals think?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Yay Deen!

Hmm, my Rx says Glumetza ER. I have been on it a while (before I found Judd) so I am not really sure about going off of it now. However I will say when I first started the Diet Cure a couple months ago, I took Chromium and had to be really careful because Glumetza + Chromium made my blood sugar go really low! Glumetza isn't really supposed to make your blood sugar drop, it's more of a control, but when you take 2 things that do the same thing (whoops) = bad.

Now that I think back, I will say that when I first started Glumetza I did have nausea, so I took an even smaller dose to start with and I was completely fine (my doctor already started me on a low dose, but I lowered it more). I had a little --TMI sorry--> diarrhea at first, but that went away within a couple weeks. It was controlled though, and the same time every day after I ate lunch. Sorry just trying to help out if possible.
I know people who never had any of these issues on it though.

So maybe chromium is something to try??
I have actually been taking less Glumetza on DDs. I have an appt with my endo later this month, so shall see what my labs look like.

Also, not trying to talk anyone into going on glumetza, in the big scheme of things I think less drugs/meds is better. But Glumetza does seem IMO to be a drug that the pros outweigh the cons. And I work for a dr who specializes in obesity management and prescribes this when needed. Sometimes (especially if people are not willing to make dietary changes, or if those changes alone don't help) it is better than letting someone get diabetes, or run the risk of such.

Last edited by lc-chica; 05-01-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sleepingduty
Stats: 144/127/125
WOE: Low Carb/JUDD
Start Date: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen73 View Post
Oh, and by the way -- got my appointment for my bioidentical hormone replacement consultation. May 14th! They went over the costs with me on the phone, if anyones curious (ouch. :/)

Initial consult: $299
labs (saliva): $240-400
follow-up visit: $175

Is this pretty standard or am I being taken for a ride here? My insurance won't cover anything (of COURSE.) What do you gals think?
What saliva tests are they doing? You can purchase your own E1,E2,E3,progesterone, 4 different cortisol levels, and testosterone from zrt labs on amazon for $285. I bet this is less expensive and you get more for your money at least doing the labs yourself. Ask what hormones they would order and what the specific cost would be. I think the initial consult fee is in line with what most people charge.
Sleepingduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Also, not trying to talk anyone into going on glumetza, in the big scheme of things I think less drugs/meds is better.
I think Metformin is pretty routinely prescribed anytime someone has PCOS or is pre-diabetic/borderline diabetic. I haven't seen anyone on these forums with those issues who hasn't tried it at some point! So I wouldn't worry about sounding like a pusher or anything

I have read that Chromium + biotin can have similar effects to Metformin in terms of helping control blood sugar.

Deen, did you go to an endo for the bioidentical hormone consult, or did you have to go to a special clinic?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

LC-chica -- yeah, you know, I took the Met for a long time and I was like you with the after-lunch thing! (don't worry, there's no such thing as TMI with me! :P) BUT, after I started JUDDD, I can't take it without getting really tired. Very odd. So I stopped taking it and just JUDDD seems to be keeping my glucose in check. I think you're right, though -- sometimes Met is better for someone who's not making dietary changes -- at least that was the case for me. It's like I need one or the other, but not both.

Sleepingduty -- they haven't told me what they're going to order yet, I think that's what they determine at the "consult". I think that's also what decides if it's going to be $240 vs. $400. I mentioned getting my own saliva test done when I spoke to them on the phone -- they said they don't like to do that because they have a lab they trust, and wouldn't want to prescribe on results they weren't sure of. And also then they can charge more. (they didn't SAY that, but... lol)

DeeDee -- I haven't had it yet, but it's not an endo. It's a regular MD (internist) that works out of a clinic called the "Vital Well-being Center" in Tarpon Springs, FL. The name sounds totally cheesy (to me, anyway!) -- but they have a good reputation locally. Many women say they've really helped them.