Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Mamatomany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 257
Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Oh No Ptero!

Well, I have been taking 100 mg of ptero in the morning on both UD and DD and can't sleep! Help Me It has really worked for appetite control, but I need to sleep!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,601
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/107/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Does the pterostilbene stop working to control your appetite if you omit it on the UD or do you really need it then?
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Flutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,386
Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yikes, not sure what to tell ya, honestly! You are only taking it in the morning? I am not consistent enough with mine but when I do take it, I haven't noticed a change with my sleep.

I used to have a lot of problems sleeping on DD nights for the first few months Judding, though. (and I wasn't taking ptero then!)
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,754
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I think sleep is the more important of the 2. Pterostilbene does cause sleeplessness for some people. I haven't had any worse time sleeping than I have the rest of my life, but if it's effecting your sleep I'd lower the amount you take or stop it for a while and see how you feel.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 440
Gallery: tofucheez
Why don't you try just 50mg......in the early morning......sorry, no sleep sucks!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,537
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I've heard about this, but I don't notice it as much, though I take pteroblue daily. The day before yesterday, yes, for sure, since I didn't have any caffeine, I think the ptero kept me up.

I'd say try 1/2 your dose, early in the morning... and if that doesn't help, drop it, b/c as said above, sleep is more important.

That said-- I travel quite a bit, and since my sleep is messed up anyway, I take a couple miligrams of melatonin, which helps me sleep. I'm taking it anyway, even before the pteroblue, so I'm just continuing with it, and generally, I get to sleep at a relatively reasonable hour (like, 1am or so, sometimes earlier) and stay asleep, wake feeling rested.
__________________
--Soren
New Blog post: Sweet Potato Souffle and Calamity Story http://justforkit.blogspot.com/2013/...-calamity.html

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
Whitlin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 1,003
Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
It is possible this effect is temporary. But I realize that would be hard to test confidently when you are losing sleep! I would definitely consider omitting the UD ptero, or cutting back to half every day. However, if you don't get relief, this is definitely a reason to avoid a supplement. Best wishes.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,053
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I notice that I get very hungry in the afternoon sometimes and tired after taking ptero in the morning. I don't really feel like it gives me any additional energy, though. Haven't had a problem sleeping since early JUDDD days...and wasn't taking ptero then. I think hunger used to keep me awake, but it doesn't now.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,754
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I've heard about this, but I don't notice it as much, though I take pteroblue daily. The day before yesterday, yes, for sure, since I didn't have any caffeine, I think the ptero kept me up.

I'd say try 1/2 your dose, early in the morning... and if that doesn't help, drop it, b/c as said above, sleep is more important.

That said-- I travel quite a bit, and since my sleep is messed up anyway, I take a couple miligrams of melatonin, which helps me sleep. I'm taking it anyway, even before the pteroblue, so I'm just continuing with it, and generally, I get to sleep at a relatively reasonable hour (like, 1am or so, sometimes earlier) and stay asleep, wake feeling rested.
That is reasonable?!? If I'm not sleeping by 10pm- latest on a work night I'll cry in the morning when the alarm goes off at 5:15am.

I must say I get up several times during the night- not even counting sleep walking...
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 440
Gallery: tofucheez
I wake often in the night, too...like every two hours. I always have. I can't imagine what it's like to sleep through the night.

LG-interesting that the ptero make you hungry and tired. I broke down and bought a bottle and took the first dose yesterday. By afternoon I was SUPER munchy and absolutely dragging. Too soon to tell if it was the ptero, though....may just be a coincidence.

Last edited by tofucheez; 04-27-2013 at 04:45 AM..
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
calichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,948
Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
For me, I did not have any sleep problems with ptero, but I did have some sleep problems in my early days of JUDDD. It could be either. Have you seen this thread? It may help:
Attn: Insomniacs! This worked for me.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,053
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
I wake often in the night, too...like every two hours. I always have. I can't imagine what it's like to sleep through the night.

LG-interesting that the ptero make you hungry and tired. I broke down and bought a bottle and took the first dose yesterday. By afternoon I was SUPER munchy and absolutely dragging. Too soon to tell if it was the ptero, though....may just be a coincidence.
No, I think it works to control my appetite. Especially if I take two in the mornings. It's the afternoon after it's worn off that I feel the delayed effects of hunger and tiredness. Maybe I should take more.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
DaSHMith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 89
Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/2/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Maybe I should take more.
The Ptero definitely works for me. I take two in the morning and two again in the afternoon when the hunger returns and one around 5 PM-6 PM (with L-Glutamine) when sugar cravings kick in for a total of 250 mg per day. I take this amount as it was the total daily dosage test subjects took in two of the clinical studies on ptero in which subjects experienced great health benefits.

Last edited by DaSHMith; 04-27-2013 at 12:33 PM..
DaSHMith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 440
Gallery: tofucheez
They're expensive little buggers, so I don't know if I'll try that much! I guess I'll keep checking in on how others respond to higher dosages before I do anything. Thanks for the input!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,537
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
That is reasonable?!? If I'm not sleeping by 10pm- latest on a work night I'll cry in the morning when the alarm goes off at 5:15am.

I must say I get up several times during the night- not even counting sleep walking...
LOL Carly I work from home, so I only get up at 9am or 9:30 or so?
without any alarm, weekday or weekend, I really only absorb 8hrs of sleep.
I get up 1x after 5hrs or so, to pee, and then get back to sleep for the other 3hrs.

What's funny (about me ) is that my 8hrs can come at any time, and I'll push the window later and later if left to my own devices, like if I'm reading a great book-- and I'll sleep 3am to 11am. But unless I'm sick or something, that 8hrs goes off and BING I'm up.

This works for me on my monthly trips to CA. I stay up until about 10am local time, and always wake up before my alarm around 6am

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,754
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Well I'm glad you are getting enough sleep. I was thinking you still had to get up at 6 or 6:30 and that would be rough!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,053
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
LOL Carly I work from home, so I only get up at 9am or 9:30 or so?
without any alarm, weekday or weekend, I really only absorb 8hrs of sleep.
I get up 1x after 5hrs or so, to pee, and then get back to sleep for the other 3hrs.

What's funny (about me ) is that my 8hrs can come at any time, and I'll push the window later and later if left to my own devices, like if I'm reading a great book-- and I'll sleep 3am to 11am. But unless I'm sick or something, that 8hrs goes off and BING I'm up.

This works for me on my monthly trips to CA. I stay up until about 10am local time, and always wake up before my alarm around 6am

S.
I am the same way, only I don't work from home. I get energy at night and tend to stay up later than I should. Sometimes it's 1 am. I do have to get up by 7 am at the latest, so it's probably not a good thing. I rarely sleep past 8 am on the weekend either. Funny thing, I was in bed with lights out at 11 pm last night on a weekend night.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.