Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Oh No Ptero! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802853-oh-no-ptero.html)

Mamatomany 04-26-2013 03:37 AM

Oh No Ptero!

Well, I have been taking 100 mg of ptero in the morning on both UD and DD and can't sleep! Help Me:stars: It has really worked for appetite control, but I need to sleep!

SlowSure 04-26-2013 04:09 AM

Does the pterostilbene stop working to control your appetite if you omit it on the UD or do you really need it then?

Flutter 04-26-2013 04:10 AM

Yikes, not sure what to tell ya, honestly! You are only taking it in the morning? I am not consistent enough with mine but when I do take it, I haven't noticed a change with my sleep.

I used to have a lot of problems sleeping on DD nights for the first few months Judding, though. (and I wasn't taking ptero then!) :hugs:

Carly 04-26-2013 04:11 AM

I think sleep is the more important of the 2. Pterostilbene does cause sleeplessness for some people. I haven't had any worse time sleeping than I have the rest of my life, but if it's effecting your sleep I'd lower the amount you take or stop it for a while and see how you feel.

tofucheez 04-26-2013 05:00 AM

Why don't you try just 50mg......in the early morning......sorry, no sleep sucks!

sorenkkg 04-26-2013 08:07 AM

I've heard about this, but I don't notice it as much, though I take pteroblue daily. The day before yesterday, yes, for sure, since I didn't have any caffeine, I think the ptero kept me up.

I'd say try 1/2 your dose, early in the morning... and if that doesn't help, drop it, b/c as said above, sleep is more important.

That said-- I travel quite a bit, and since my sleep is messed up anyway, I take a couple miligrams of melatonin, which helps me sleep. I'm taking it anyway, even before the pteroblue, so I'm just continuing with it, and generally, I get to sleep at a relatively reasonable hour (like, 1am or so, sometimes earlier) and stay asleep, wake feeling rested.

Whitlin' 04-26-2013 06:54 PM

It is possible this effect is temporary. But I realize that would be hard to test confidently when you are losing sleep! I would definitely consider omitting the UD ptero, or cutting back to half every day. However, if you don't get relief, this is definitely a reason to avoid a supplement. Best wishes.

Librarygirl 04-26-2013 07:08 PM

I notice that I get very hungry in the afternoon sometimes and tired after taking ptero in the morning. I don't really feel like it gives me any additional energy, though. Haven't had a problem sleeping since early JUDDD days...and wasn't taking ptero then. I think hunger used to keep me awake, but it doesn't now. :)

Carly 04-27-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16394955)
I've heard about this, but I don't notice it as much, though I take pteroblue daily. The day before yesterday, yes, for sure, since I didn't have any caffeine, I think the ptero kept me up.

I'd say try 1/2 your dose, early in the morning... and if that doesn't help, drop it, b/c as said above, sleep is more important.

That said-- I travel quite a bit, and since my sleep is messed up anyway, I take a couple miligrams of melatonin, which helps me sleep. I'm taking it anyway, even before the pteroblue, so I'm just continuing with it, and generally, I get to sleep at a relatively reasonable hour (like, 1am or so, sometimes earlier) and stay asleep, wake feeling rested.

That is reasonable?!? If I'm not sleeping by 10pm- latest on a work night I'll cry in the morning when the alarm goes off at 5:15am.

I must say I get up several times during the night- not even counting sleep walking...

tofucheez 04-27-2013 04:42 AM

I wake often in the night, too...like every two hours. I always have. I can't imagine what it's like to sleep through the night.

LG-interesting that the ptero make you hungry and tired. I broke down and bought a bottle and took the first dose yesterday. By afternoon I was SUPER munchy and absolutely dragging. Too soon to tell if it was the ptero, though....may just be a coincidence.

calichris 04-27-2013 09:32 AM

For me, I did not have any sleep problems with ptero, but I did have some sleep problems in my early days of JUDDD. It could be either. Have you seen this thread? It may help:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...worked-me.html

Librarygirl 04-27-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16396392)
I wake often in the night, too...like every two hours. I always have. I can't imagine what it's like to sleep through the night.

LG-interesting that the ptero make you hungry and tired. I broke down and bought a bottle and took the first dose yesterday. By afternoon I was SUPER munchy and absolutely dragging. Too soon to tell if it was the ptero, though....may just be a coincidence.

No, I think it works to control my appetite. Especially if I take two in the mornings. It's the afternoon after it's worn off that I feel the delayed effects of hunger and tiredness. :) Maybe I should take more. ;)

DaSHMith 04-27-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16396987)
Maybe I should take more. ;)

The Ptero definitely works for me. I take two in the morning and two again in the afternoon when the hunger returns and one around 5 PM-6 PM (with L-Glutamine) when sugar cravings kick in for a total of 250 mg per day. I take this amount as it was the total daily dosage test subjects took in two of the clinical studies on ptero in which subjects experienced great health benefits.

tofucheez 04-27-2013 12:46 PM

They're expensive little buggers, so I don't know if I'll try that much! I guess I'll keep checking in on how others respond to higher dosages before I do anything. Thanks for the input!

sorenkkg 04-27-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16396351)
That is reasonable?!? If I'm not sleeping by 10pm- latest on a work night I'll cry in the morning when the alarm goes off at 5:15am.

I must say I get up several times during the night- not even counting sleep walking...

LOL Carly :) I work from home, so I only get up at 9am or 9:30 or so?
without any alarm, weekday or weekend, I really only absorb 8hrs of sleep.
I get up 1x after 5hrs or so, to pee, and then get back to sleep for the other 3hrs.

What's funny (about me :) ) is that my 8hrs can come at any time, and I'll push the window later and later if left to my own devices, like if I'm reading a great book-- and I'll sleep 3am to 11am. But unless I'm sick or something, that 8hrs goes off and BING I'm up.

This works for me on my monthly trips to CA. I stay up until about 10am local time, and always wake up before my alarm around 6am ;)

S.

Carly 04-27-2013 03:47 PM

Well I'm glad you are getting enough sleep. I was thinking you still had to get up at 6 or 6:30 and that would be rough!

Librarygirl 04-27-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16397260)
LOL Carly :) I work from home, so I only get up at 9am or 9:30 or so?
without any alarm, weekday or weekend, I really only absorb 8hrs of sleep.
I get up 1x after 5hrs or so, to pee, and then get back to sleep for the other 3hrs.

What's funny (about me :) ) is that my 8hrs can come at any time, and I'll push the window later and later if left to my own devices, like if I'm reading a great book-- and I'll sleep 3am to 11am. But unless I'm sick or something, that 8hrs goes off and BING I'm up.

This works for me on my monthly trips to CA. I stay up until about 10am local time, and always wake up before my alarm around 6am ;)

S.

I am the same way, only I don't work from home. :D I get energy at night and tend to stay up later than I should. Sometimes it's 1 am. I do have to get up by 7 am at the latest, so it's probably not a good thing. I rarely sleep past 8 am on the weekend either. Funny thing, I was in bed with lights out at 11 pm last night on a weekend night.