Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Yennie-

Oh my goodness, when you said you were a vet I thought at first you might be MY vet! I, too, live in the PNW, and my vet has horses and a little boy. Also, by your avi, you look enough alike (kinda hard to tell for sure with the helmet on...people look sooo different with headwear on, don't they?). But my vet doesn't work with her father, so I guess not. Are you an equine vet or do you so small animals?
tofucheez is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
If mineral salts help with acid reflux, then I might have to get some. I'd like to get some of the pink himalyan stuff. No it's not spelled right, but I don't have the energy to look it up.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Yennie-

Oh my goodness, when you said you were a vet I thought at first you might be MY vet! I, too, live in the PNW, and my vet has horses and a little boy. Also, by your avi, you look enough alike (kinda hard to tell for sure with the helmet on...people look sooo different with headwear on, don't they?). But my vet doesn't work with her father, so I guess not. Are you an equine vet or do you so small animals?
I do, maybe, 5% horses anymore. Used to do them full time but then I wanted a life. Actually originally started off doing production animals but then I got broken so that was the end if that.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
Start Date: 4/2/13
Off-topic post/BTW, Yennie, thank you for writing about your background in academia. I'm pretty sure you are the bees knees.
DaSHMith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
Off-topic post/BTW, Yennie, thank you for writing about your background in academia. I'm pretty sure you are the bees knees.
I don't know about that, but thanks anyway.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
First of all, why can't people mind their own business??? If I saw someone at work chugging a shaker of salt I still wouldn't say anything!!! Who cares?

Anyway, I do not put salt on a lot of things but I am also trying the salts that the other posters have mentioned. I just ordered Coarse Sea and Himalayan salt from Pampered Chef (a friend is selling it so that is one of the cheaper things I saw that I could buy LOLOL without offending her and not buying anything).
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I have always heard that you should restrict sodium for health reasons. From swelling, high blood pressure to heart disease...salt seems to be blamed. Then, I hear about my JB's actually drinking salt water and adding extra salt here and there. I have never really tried to restrict either, but sometimes get comments from other people, like today when I was salting my raw carrots at lunch...."Stop using all that salt!" She has also commented on other DDs when I salted my celery.
I have low blood pressure and adrenal fatigue and was told by my doctor to ADD salt to my diet. She told me how much and I was shocked But she said my issues were so bad and salt so needed that if I could not/would not add salt (the good kind--not table salt but Himalayan salt or a good sea salt) then I needed a salt tablet. That is how much she wanted me to get in the salt. So while the vast majority of doctors are telling people to AVOID salt, my doc was telling me to add it!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lil'g
Stats: 186/186/130
Start Date: 04/01/13
Definitely keep your BP monitored. My husband salted everything, without tasting, would not go the the Dr. and ended up having a massive stroke. Critical Care unit was full of patients just like him, never went to the Dr. High BP is known as the silent killer because you may feel just fine.
Lil'g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Sorry about your DH, Lil'g.

I have high blood pressure and I've read that it is caused by the blood vessels being too rigid.

Decreasing salt/being dehydrated may help decrease blood volume, which in turn will put less pressure on the blood vessels, but it won't actually address the cause.

Certain herbs & nutrients such as cayenne, hawthorn berry, magnesium & Vitamin C are said to improve the flexibility of the blood vessels and lead to better blood pressure.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I have BP on the low side, so I probably should eat more salt, but I can't stand salty stuff! I very very rarely ever salt my food.

Pepper on the other hand....
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I have BP on the low side, so I probably should eat more salt, but I can't stand salty stuff! I very very rarely ever salt my food.

Pepper on the other hand....
That is why my doc told me to get the salt tablets. I said "I don't want to put salt in my yogurt!" so she told me about the tablets. I got them at the pharmacy, but they are OTC not prescription. So it was doctor's orders I get them, confirmed with a hair analysis.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Interesting item in the NYT: No Benefit Seen on Sharp Limits on Salt in Diet.

Quote:
In a report that undercuts years of public health warnings, a prestigious group convened by the government says there is no good reason based on health outcomes for many Americans to drive their sodium consumption down to the very low levels recommended in national dietary guidelines.

Those levels, 1,500 milligrams of sodium a day, or a little more than half a teaspoon of salt, were supposed to prevent heart attacks and strokes in people at risk, including anyone older than 50, blacks and people with high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease — groups that make up more than half of the American population.

Some influential organizations, including the American Heart Association, have said that everyone, not just those at risk, should aim for that very low sodium level. The heart association reaffirmed that position in an interview with its spokesman on Monday, even in light of the new report.

But the new expert committee, commissioned by the Institute of Medicine at the behest of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said there was no rationale for anyone to aim for sodium levels below 2,300 milligrams a day. The group examined new evidence that had emerged since the last such report was issued, in 2005.

“As you go below the 2,300 mark, there is an absence of data in terms of benefit and there begin to be suggestions in subgroup populations about potential harms,” said Dr. Brian L. Strom, chairman of the committee and a professor of public health at the University of Pennsylvania. He explained that the possible harms included increased rates of heart attacks and an increased risk of death.

The committee was not asked to specify an optimal amount of sodium and did not make any recommendations about how much people should consume. Dr. Strom said people should not eat too much salt, but he also said that the data on the health effects of sodium were too inconsistent for the committee to say what the upper limit of sodium consumption should be.
As ever, we're all individuals and we have our own response within general guidelines.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

What??? Making evidence-based recommendations backed up with science???
"I'm sorry - we're not capable of doing that" - said every government agency ever.
Apparently I have on my snarky pants this morning.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Snarky Pants!!!
I don't think mine come off anymore...
I just have to wear Polite Pants over them!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
I have been using celtic sea salt for years and it is the best salt I have ever used. Yes, it is expensive but if you buy in bulk online it is lot cheaper than buying it at HFS. I also have low blood pressure so I am very liberal with my salt intake.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I find that I want salt on everything (liberally) on my DDs, but not as crazy about it on UDs. I want it on my celery, cucumbers or anything I eat. I need taste on my 300 calories!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote