Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Dawn, what you said about your foot pointing made me think of something else. Could you have a pinched nerve? I ask because my feet and toes actually twist due to the compressed and damaged nerves in my spine. It's exscrutiating when it happens, litterally takes my breath away. It feels more like a spasm than a cramp, but I guess those feelings can be similar.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I swear by Magnesium Oil. I order the Barbara Hendell's. I have put it on foot cramps and had them go away within a few minutes. I use it everyday after bath but it is great when you get a weird cramp also. I have gotten leg cramps from drinking too much water. I stick to about 60-70oz. per day now but I am not doing very low carb.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Ouchie! Mojo to all the crazy cramps
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
If it was, in fact, a cramp the calf muscles, the way to relieve it is to flex the opposing muscle group.....ie point your toes upward (the opposite direction the cramp causes). Your body is wired such that contracting one muscle group will inhibit the opposite from contracting. The easiest and most effective way to do this is to step down on the floor and lean forward a bit (without bending your knee). Essentially doing a standing calf stretch. But the intent is not to stretch the calf. Ideally, you would do this by flexing your foot upward on its own (to inhibit the calf muscles from firing), but I've NEVER been successful doing that when a cramp hits. I just jump out of bed and stand on it.....tooooo painful!

Last edited by tofucheez; 04-24-2013 at 06:45 PM..
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Too Late View Post
Dawn and Rox,

I guess the take-away from this entire post about leg cramps is that all of us (including me) should make a visit to our doctor's office to see if we have a potassium or magnesium deficiency or other ailment that is causing the cramps.

I was curious and looked up Nu-Salt's nutritional information. Interestingly enough, it is made from potassium chloride and Cream of Tartar. (Cream of tartar has 495 mg of potassium per teaspoon.)

The Harvard School of Public Health warns that potassium-based salt substitutes can be hazardous for some -- including diabetics, those with kidney disease or who take ACE Inhibitors or certain types of other medications. It has something to do with the person's inability to flush out excess potassium from their system.

I guess any electrolyte imbalance is cause for concern ...

Cyn
Didn't know about Cream of Tarter, very interesting! Agree with the message. I don't usually go to the doctor unless it's a regular check up or I know something is wrong. It's so time consuming and annoying (not a good reason;-) I'm so glad that I don't have cramps since I quit Low Carb. . . .
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
DH cured his nightly leg cramps (runner) by drinking sports drinks.

I decided the kissy face neck exercise is perfect for when I am alone in the bathroom. No one can see and it reminds me to do it. If I drink a lot of water my neck should look great!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

TRying--beware of the face exercises!! I posted this in another thread, but here tis again.....I used to do some to keep my cheeks high and not get saggy.....and they gave me lines and creases on my face from where my face would crease when I would do them! The lines are here FOREVER now....you can't win!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Ugh. Tofucheez. So sorry. Now let's see- do I want wattle neck or lines???
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Dawn, what you said about your foot pointing made me think of something else. Could you have a pinched nerve? I ask because my feet and toes actually twist due to the compressed and damaged nerves in my spine. It's exscrutiating when it happens, litterally takes my breath away. It feels more like a spasm than a cramp, but I guess those feelings can be similar.
I actually have been having some mild neuropathy in that same leg for about the same amount of time, but I didn't think anything of it. Huh. What does one do for a pinched nerve? Just anti-inflammatories and rest? I'm not even sure where it would be compressed. L4-Sacrum are all fused, so it would have to be above there and I don't really have much back pain other than my normal.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I actually have been having some mild neuropathy in that same leg for about the same amount of time, but I didn't think anything of it. Huh. What does one do for a pinched nerve? Just anti-inflammatories and rest? I'm not even sure where it would be compressed. L4-Sacrum are all fused, so it would have to be above there and I don't really have much back pain other than my normal.
My L1-Sacrum are fused for me, but I still have nerves that are being compressed and nerves that were damaged prior to having my fusion. I take Mobic and it helps somewhat. It may still be worth trying the magnesium and potassium, but can you tell if it's a cramp or a spasm?
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
I actually have a sure fire way to stop the cramp when it first starts. When I was pregnant with my first daughter 40 years ago she must have been sitting on my bladder - I wore a pad the whole 9 months of pregnancy because I could not control my bladder. I would get terrible leg cramps at night which in retrospect were probably due to low potassium levels from all the water I lost during the day. My legs would cramp up so bad I would limp for days. I discovered that if I kept a cookie sheet on the floor beside my bed and the minute I felt the cramp waking me up I would stand on the cold cookie sheet. The cold metal immediately pulled the cramp out of my leg.
My girlfriend who was an obstetrician at that time actually recommended it to her patients as little was known about supplements close to 40 years ago and she was surprised to find it worked for them as well.
So if you suffer from them put your affected foot on a cold surface and it will pull out the cramp immediately. But you have to do it fast! Once that cramp starts taking over it so painfull it is hard even to move let alone jump out of bed to stand on the cold metal. I recall one time just putting my foot on the cold wall - it was winter.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 203/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Try Yoga...it had worked wonders for my jacked up neck, and all the subsequent pains. But then I messed up my shoulder and couldn't do the reverse-gravity poses, I'm just now getting back into it, and it feels GREAT!
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

That was for Dawn, BTW...I doubt yoga will help leg cramps...but anyone who has spine issues, yoga really helps
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

And Carly too! Just try "downward dog" for 10 minutes, and tell me your back doesn't feel better!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Dawn-

why don't you get a blood test first so you know what your levels are. When this happened to me, the cause was too low calcium. By doing this you'll know what direction to go. Otherwise, you may supplement the wrong thing and exacerbate the problem.
Bloodwork may not always show an accurate picture of electrolyte imbalances, especially for something as closely regulated as potassium. The body will move potassium in and out of cells as needed to main equilibrium and, depending on the body's acidity, can be falsely elevated or low in a blood sample. The majority of the body's potassium stores are intracellular so the amount circulating in your blood is really a poor reflection of the body's stores UNLESS you are so depleted that you are having major symptoms (heart issues, collapse, etc). Even then, in most cases, it isn't a matter of an absolute depletion of potassium in the body, more some other imbalance that does not allow the proper amount of potassium to be circulating in the body - hence IV supplementation.
Anyway, there is a lot of physiology involved in why a blood test might not (mostly likely will not) show a potassium deficiency but you're more likely to see results from either natural or vitamin supplementation. If you have medical concerns that lead you to believe your kidneys might not be able to excrete excess potassium then you should speak with your doctor but for most people with healthy kidneys and no other blood pressure issues or contraindicated medications, excess potassium is shed by the kidneys with no problems.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
My L1-Sacrum are fused for me, but I still have nerves that are being compressed and nerves that were damaged prior to having my fusion. I take Mobic and it helps somewhat. It may still be worth trying the magnesium and potassium, but can you tell if it's a cramp or a spasm?
The pain is unlike the spasms I get. With my back spasms, it's sort of more a painful burning with contracted muscles, and with this it's hard to describe. The pain is actually worse, but no burning, if that makes sense. The way the muscles contract though is the same.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Bloodwork may not always show an accurate picture of electrolyte imbalances, especially for something as closely regulated as potassium. The body will move potassium in and out of cells as needed to main equilibrium and, depending on the body's acidity, can be falsely elevated or low in a blood sample. The majority of the body's potassium stores are intracellular so the amount circulating in your blood is really a poor reflection of the body's stores UNLESS you are so depleted that you are having major symptoms (heart issues, collapse, etc). Even then, in most cases, it isn't a matter of an absolute depletion of potassium in the body, more some other imbalance that does not allow the proper amount of potassium to be circulating in the body - hence IV supplementation.
Anyway, there is a lot of physiology involved in why a blood test might not (mostly likely will not) show a potassium deficiency but you're more likely to see results from either natural or vitamin supplementation. If you have medical concerns that lead you to believe your kidneys might not be able to excrete excess potassium then you should speak with your doctor but for most people with healthy kidneys and no other blood pressure issues or contraindicated medications, excess potassium is shed by the kidneys with no problems.
I'm hyperuricemic, and get uric acid kidney stones. I also have cysts on my kidneys. My bloodwork has been good with diet though, so I think the old kidneys are functioning fairly well.

I just checked my multi and it only has 13% of the RDA for Magnesium, and I don't see Potassium listed anywhere on it. I think I'll try supplementation and go from there.

Thanks!

ETA: Is vitamin K Potassium? It has 31% vitamin K.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysmith View Post
Try Yoga...it had worked wonders for my jacked up neck, and all the subsequent pains. But then I messed up my shoulder and couldn't do the reverse-gravity poses, I'm just now getting back into it, and it feels GREAT!
I want to try yoga, but I'm really not limber and I'm askeered.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Nope, vitamin K is not potassium. Which is uber confusing since potassium is abbreviated K. Vit K is an important co-factor for blood clotting. Incidentally it is the target of rat poison...block Vit K, the critters can't clot & eventually bleed out. The antidote should your pet ever get into rat poison (aside from immediately inducing vomiting if you catch them soon enough) is 4-6 weeks of Vit K supplementation. Assuming they are not sick from it; of course if they are sick then you have to address that as well.
And that concludes today's episode of "Way more info than you probably ever wanted"
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
No advice. Just
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
And I can get leg cramps the night after a potato day if I don't eat enough salt with my potatoes. Too much potassium I guess in this case. And power of suggestion. I had a leg cramp last night following a potato day where I did not drink my salted water since I was super busy and not in the office or at home all day.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
I changed from table salt to lo-salt, it uses Pottasium Chloride along with the usual Sodium Chloride, an easy way to up your K levels

Not had cramp since...
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Dawn, I sure hope you find something to help...and I have to say this...you just totally crack me up with some of the words you use. makes me laugh outloud ,
the other day you said nekkked..took me a second to figure it out., and now you are askeered ..hahaha....I would read a book if you would write one, honestly, I would.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Me too, Jaymar!!! Hey, let's co-author our ADF book, Dawn! We can also go by The Turtle and the Hare.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #55

Hehe, then I have to change my avatar to a turtle reading a book. We can be the dynamic duo of the ADF scene.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I've been cramping, usually just my right leg, since 2003 when I started LC.

I tried magnesium, and since I also take a multi, and I think there's magnesium in my calcium (i.e cal-mag), taking extra made me sort of, um, poopy. It's also a laxative, so watch out with that.

Anyway, I gave that up when I figured it out, and stick with potassium. I read up on it, and you can actually supplement with quite a lot.

So here's what I do-- in addition to my other vitamins (including a multi in the morning, and a cal-mag+D at night) I take 2x100mg Potassium every night.

Sometimes I miss, and sometimes for whatever reason I still get an occasional cramp (but less often, as long as I don't miss my nightly vitamins) so then, when I'm cramping, I take 4x100 on the spot.

I also do calf stretches, like put your foot up against the wall and lean forward on it. Or DH will help me stretch it out (I lie on my back, flex my foot, and he pushes my leg further up toward my head. I can do that on my own, and you can also use a towel or yoga strap or a belt/scarf, anything, on the sole of your flexed foot, and pull gently toward your head).

I found regular yoga, even 1x a week, with good stretching, helped quite a bit too. I should get back to that, but overall I'm not cramping as much as I used to.

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I want to try yoga, but I'm really not limber and I'm askeered.
Ha!Ha! Here's a really easy, friendly pose..I'm sure it has some official name, but I call it rag-doll.

While standing, cross your arms like Jeannie getting ready to blink(now everyone knows how old I am!)...then bend straight forward at the hips, and let your head and crossed arms dangle naturally (arms will be below your head at this point) Breathe nice and deep through your nose, not too fast, relax the neck and shoulders and crossed arms, all loose like a doll...on each exhale, try to bend lower. Keep the knees straight. You'll REALLY feel the stretch in the hamstrings and calves if you're doing it right.

Hold it for as long as you care to, it's really good for decompressing the spine, and stretching out the backside so you can move on to more challenging poses.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I have to say, if you want to give it a try, find yoga for dummies on dvd (I'm sure it says beginners or something). Has 2 programs on it, both basic, one more basic/simpler than the other. I used to have 2 of them, but not sure what happened. REALLY good dvd, I used it for years and still do sometimes. I highly recommend it if you are curious.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I have to say, if you want to give it a try, find yoga for dummies on dvd (I'm sure it says beginners or something). Has 2 programs on it, both basic, one more basic/simpler than the other. I used to have 2 of them, but not sure what happened. REALLY good dvd, I used it for years and still do sometimes. I highly recommend it if you are curious.
I have a Rodney Yee one that is good. And it was cheap! I did yoga for about 18 months, on my own, because going to any exercise class is way too redolent of gym class for me...horrors...
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Ooh, I second the at home yoga dvds. I used to be an at-home-yoga junkie (and you'll probably find that your cat finds watching you immensely entertaining). I personally never cared for the Rodney Yee vids, but LOVED the two I had from Sara Ivanhoe...I *think* they were the "for dummies" ones. One was called fat-burning yoga, can't remember the other one. But I go through phases with yoga. I'm usually more into fast moving exercise. But I highly recommend that dvd if you want to give it a go......much cheaper than classes, too.