Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
Need recipe (DD) suggestions please!

I need some recipe help please!

My father in law is coming for dinner Wednesday night from out of town and I'm going to cook dinner. But DH and I want to stick with our rotations so it will be a DD for us. Can you all suggest some great recipes that would fit into our DD calories but still be company worthy?

To make it worse my FIL is pickey. He's from the south and is used to eating a lot of "southern food" and what I call "American food" like casseroles, pork chops, greens, etc. not at all the way I eat or cook on a normal day let alone a DD! I'm stumped. I have a few WW slow cooker recipes I was thinking of resurrecting, but wanted to chek in with you all first. I know whatever I make we can just eat a smaller portion, but I'm looking for good recipes that fit his taste that are lower in calories.
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: 196/?(not looking for a while)/150
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
if you grill or bake any seafood (shrimp, fish) that tends to be lower in calories. You could always give him butter to drown his with and use lemon for yours. A whole pan of roasted veggies is pretty low calorie- you could add carbs to his (pasta? rice?). You could even make it more for him by adding any kind of sauce. Tonight I had take-out, grilled jalapeno lime shrimp with white rice, black beans and corn. the whole thing (albeit smallish) was 300 cal.

If seafood isn't his thing, do the above but with chicken or any protein for that matter.

I love spaghetti squash with tomato sauce for a DD but somehow I don't think that will fit in with his southern comfort food needs . maybe make a chicken parmesan, give him pasta, use spaghetti squash for yourself. go easy on the cheese for yourself.

You could do a protein with a baked potato ? Yours can have salsa and light sour cream- 2 tbsp salsa (10 cal) and 2 tbsp LIGHT sour cream (40 cal) with a regular potato. Then pile on veggies too. Just watch the size of the potato. I think it also tastes great with baked sweet potato.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I was going to suggest some of the same things mentioned above. My go-to would be barbecued chicken. Boneless, skinless breasts barbecue beautifully. No sauce needed, but you could add sauce to some and leave some nekkid. Roasted veggies. Make a few carby/caloric side items and just don't serve them for yourselves. A nice, fresh, salad to accompany, and it looks like a feast, even if you're having small, lower calorie portions.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
I highly recommend a dish called Grilled Shrimp Avocado Fennel and Orange Salad on the SkinnyTaste website. It is the perfect springtime meal and is both impressive and elegant.

My husband and I had this salad about a week ago on our DD and it was divine! I would even serve it for Christmas, we loved it that much! It is also quite filling for a DD meal.

You could probably increase the ounces of shrimp for your guests, while easily adhering, and enjoying your own DD portions. If you wanted to round out the meal for your family, you could include bread, or an appetizer and dessert.

Although this award winning site is geared toward WW points, it also supplies calorie information. It is now my to-go site for meal planning on both feast and fast days.

Play some fabulous background music, light some candles ... but above all, have fun at your dinner party!

L/Cyn
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
Yikes! Sorry AndyBFK. I missed the part of your post where you said that your FIL liked more tried-and-true southern dishes. The site I recommended has plenty of pork, fish, chicken and beef recipes. Hope it is helpful.

I wish you success at your party.

L/Cyn
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have to cook for family all the time and make it seamless. I'm also a devoted crockpot user - you might notice.
A frozen turkey breast can be thrown in the crockpot all day skin down with poultry herbs, an onion cut into eighths, and several quartered celery stalks, a little salt. Drain the liquid to make "them" gravy, you have some nice turkey breast, and sides are super easy for whatever day you are on. Also gives you leftovers.
Ditto lean meatloaf in the crock all day. I cover mine with strips of bellpepper to make "deconstructed stuffed peppers", which the family loves.
Healthy soups are great for down days and easy to flesh out the meal with fresh bread of some kind (make your own no-knead to impress the relatives, or use America's Test Kitchen drop biscuit recipe) or just pick up a loaf of something local.
Lean chili with cheesy corn muffins, put out cute little bowls of shreddy cheese, sour cream, olives and chopped veg toppings to make it look impressive.
A light frittata (baked omelet) full of sauteed zucchini or asparagus fools everyone for brunch or dinner, and they can again have bread sides, a fruit salad, and you can make a cheese sauce for the non dieters to decadently drizzle over the eggy dish.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The walden farms BBQ sauce was actually pretty good and has 0 calories. You could grill or bake some chicken breasts coated in it with no added calories using the walden farms. We tried it on baby back ribs and really couldn't tell that it was "diet" BBQ sauce.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Grilled salmon filets with a light teriyaki or BBQ glaze plus some roasted brussels sprouts and a carby side dish might work
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thank you all for the great ideas!!! Unfortunately it just made me so hungry to read through them all!

Good to know about the WF BBQ sauce, I had been wondering about that stuff for my lower carb UDs too. Since this is TX and all and we BBQ quite a bit!

I opted to go with the turkey breast in the crock. Helpful too since I'm working all day. I found a nice jar of gravy and a box of stuffing and I'm going to add some baked sweet potatoes (which he loves) and just keep ours smaller with some ICBINB spray, and some steamed broccoli which he fortunately likes as well! Once I read through your suggestions I realized it wasn't quite as difficult as I thought it was going to be!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Too Late View Post
Yikes! Sorry AndyBFK. I missed the part of your post where you said that your FIL liked more tried-and-true southern dishes. The site I recommended has plenty of pork, fish, chicken and beef recipes. Hope it is helpful.

I wish you success at your party.

L/Cyn
That's ok! I am actually a HUGE fan of that site and have made many dishes off of there as well during WW days and LC days. I will defenitly be trying that salad, DH LOVES shrimp And fennel is right up my alley!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
For dessert, you could put a slice of poundcake on FIL's plate (or a shortcake biscuit), and pile it high with berries and whipped cream. Then on you and your hubs plate, just put a mound of berries and a dollop and ff cool whip. FIL probably won't even notice that there's no cake on your plate....
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote