Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
41 Weeks on JUDDD-- Late!

This week I weighed in at 249 lbs for a gain of 3lbs this week, a total of 41 lbs lost, 37 of them on JUDDD.

I'm late. Not as in pregnant. But as in I'm late making this post because I was traveling this week and maybe because I didn't want to make this report. But you guys keep me honest, so here goes.

Low Points

Bewildering Bounce. Yes, I predicted that I would bounce up this week after my new low. But what I didn't predict was that I would suddenly, and for no discernible reason, bounce up 7 lbs! When I saw that happen, I knuckled down and did a potato hack for the rest of the week, still keeping to JUDDD rules--and meeting my calorie numbers for the first time in months because hey, it's not as easy to overeat plain potatoes as you might think. Anyway, that's why the scale only registered 3 lbs gained on weigh in day instead of 7 lbs, but that's a small consolation.

Convention Hell. This was a sucky JUDDD week. First it was a potato wasteland. And then I know next week's report isn't going to be any better because I had to go off rotations completely this weekend.

High Points

*crickets*

Fine. Ok, so there's at least one high point. And that was that I was able to meet my JUDDD up day calorie goals by eating potatoes only. Heck of a way to get your up days under control, though.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Glad you're back. We were worried about you when you didn't post!!! Also glad you are in control under difficult circumstances. Check out the 3 day rotation thread. I finally broke my stall and (crosses fingers) found out how to actually make that freakin scale move. Hallelujah!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I knuckled down and did a potato hack for the rest of the week, still keeping to JUDDD rules--and meeting my calorie numbers for the first time in months because hey, it's not as easy to overeat plain potatoes as you might think.
It really isn't, is it? If there's no fat, no sugar then the potato is remarkably difficult to eat in substantial quantity on a regular basis. (During my 28 day potato hack in March, I likewise discovered the same to be true of absolutely plain rice. I'd never have suspected it of either the potato or rice.)

Congratulations on correcting most of that bounce so quickly and best wishes for your upcoming events.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Steph, you did amazingly well while travelling!!

I always give up on JUDDDing while I'm away, so huge respect for your determination to stick to plan and for your honouring of yourself and your JUDDD journey so far.

I hope you have a much more enjoyable week!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I was so worried when you didn't post. I'm glad you are OK. Some weeks are better than others- such is life. Juddd will still be here waiting for you when things settle down.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
A seven pound bounce, with concatenate eating, is nbd. Mark it 'life happens' and move on. The bounce will go away in a few DDs.

But you have me worried. An unexplained bounce that high usually means your body is under some kind of stress. Did you eat something unusual (to which you might be allergic or intolerant?). Are you feeling alright?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Ack. I'm sorry it was a bad week. I'm sorry about the stupid "bounce" up, too. Good for you taking control and throwing in the potato hack as an option! I think that's fabulous! It's wonderful to have a plan when things go haywire and know that this is just life and not the beginning of a trend back up. I think that is AMAZING! Hugs to you and I hope this week is SO much smoother and the DDs beat that scale in to behaving again!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
How odd about the no-rhyme-or-reason seven pounds. That could mean they will disappear just as suddenly, as four of them already have. Awesome! Anyway, great to see you ... I missed the free weekly subscription to Steph's JUDDD Times.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Steph, so good to see your post here today. I was wondering about you and hoping all was well and you were just super-busy. Sorry it was a sucky JUDDD week for you. Frustrating, I know. You'll get back on track in good time, and in the meantime, no stressing out about it. I hope the magic potato works for you!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10

Yet another concerned JB who is amazed how you have managed to take back control after that scary bounce.

You can do,this, you are doing this and are helping so many others to do this.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I agree that the potato hack is not nearly as much fun as JUDDD. I like the hack for a quick correction but it is not my idea of a way to live. Sorry that you had a weight bounce and I hope you get a nice whoosh to make it all go away quickly.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
42 Weeks on JUDDD -- Better

This week I weighed in at 249 lbs for a loss of 0lbs this week, a total of 41 lbs lost, 37 of them on JUDDD.

So, why am I ok with a big fat donut? Because I was convinced this week was going to be so much worse! This was a traveling week where I was busier than a What's more, the food choices were not in my control. I fasted until dinner on Friday night then went off plan entirely until Monday morning. That's the longest I've been off plan this year and most of last year too and I was actually sort of nervous that my next down day would be awful.

It was fine. I think I can officially give up my fear that I can't do this. I can do this. Forever, if need be!

Low Points

Getting Fed Up With Myself. Part of what I love about JUDDD is that it lets you go about your life and diet in a haphazard devil-may-care fashion. I have now proved to myself--more than proved it--that I can screw up and still maintain on JUDDD if not still slowly lose. Fine, that's great. Actually, that's a life-changing, revolutionary discovery that I don't want to minimize. But what the grumblefrosting is wrong with me? I have more weight to lose and while I think I could be happy JUDDDing the rest of my life, wouldn't it be nice if I could actually reach maintenance at some point? I have a summer ahead of me filled with conferences but maybe the fact that I will be constantly trying to give myself leeway for these events will make me diet like I mean it again.

Mixed Results on the Breaksperiment. My attempts to eat a big breakfast to stave off over-eating has yielded mixed results. It seems that when I come off a fasting day, my body wants to consume about 1300 calories. Just for starters. I don't want to give it that many calories because I would like to save room for, I dunno, a nice dinner. However, when I resist and give myself, say, 500 calorie breakfast (which should be enough for anyone), I end up cracking and snacking allllll day long. When I actually just gave in and ate the majority of my calories during the day, I actually had more control in the evening, and when I postponed breakfast as long as possible and bunched my calories together in a narrower eating window, I was actually more satisfied and closer to my goals. Food for thought. Get it, get it?

High Points

Still under 250. Yeah, that's kind of a low bar for a high point, but seriously, when I saw that wild and inexplicable 7lb bounce last week, I thought, "This is it. This is when it stops working and I start gaining everything back. I will never see the 230's. This is as low as I'm gonna get." But JUDDD has taught me how to fight for territory and hold it. I don't win every battle, but I'm winning the war, and there is no other diet plan that has ever made me feel that way.

Social Acceptability. Not only are my friends now supportive of my eating plan and willing to plan around my down days, but some of them are even trying this WOE themselves. It's so much easier to deal with than asking your friends to make you a low-carb dinner or dessert...I love being able to say, "I can have anything--as long as we can have it on Saturday instead of Sunday!"

Taking Advantage of Opportunities. Food is love. That's what I was brought up to believe in my Italian-American family. Feasting is fun. Experimenting with recipes is fun. Going out to a restaurant and trying something new and decadent is a bonding experience not only with my family but with my husband. During the decade that I ate low carb, I steadfastly resisted these activities because I knew that either I couldn't partake or that I would spoil it for everyone else by serving some horrible new low carb concoction. Similarly, when I did NutriSystem effectively, I couldn't see any of my friends for the entire summer lest I give in to temptation. That is no way to live and I've extolled the virtues of JUDDD because it doesn't ask you to live that way. But what I haven't noticed before is that JUDDD encourages you to use non-feasting times to diet hard rather than try to spread the misery out. I find myself seeking opportunities to go hardcore. For example, I was able to do my four day potato hack because I saw four days in my schedule that my husband and I were so busy we wouldn't be able to have dinner together. Great time to go Spartan. This coming weekend, my husband will be out of town and so I will try to do a three day rotation to give myself a little extra oomph. I never used to look for opportunities like that before. Now I do. Thanks to JUDDD!

Last edited by stephdray; 04-25-2013 at 08:03 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Another brilliant summation of your experience with JUDDD. Bless you for these posts they are so valuable, each and every one.

I am thrilled that you are still under that bar (no, not that bar!) and looking forward with optimism to the 230s.

We'll be with you all the way.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote