Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Do you really like chicken broth? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802460-do-you-really-like-chicken-broth.html)

lc-chica 04-19-2013 02:31 PM

Do you really like chicken broth?

So do you? It seems like the perfect thing to have on a DD but it tastes so yucky to me. First I tried Swanson (I think it was low sodium) and I added some salt to it just to be able to get it down. Ick.

Then I searched around here and found that a few people prefer the Pacific organic chicken broth, so I got that. I usually buy their vegetable broth for recipes. I don't really like that chicken broth either.

I am going to try their vegetable broth (never had it straight / plain). And also the Knorrs vegetable that someone on here mentioned. To be continued...

So ... do you like it? What's YOUR favorite?

lisamt 04-19-2013 03:05 PM

I usually buy organic chicken broth from Central Market (they are only in TX). I think it tastes great and there's no msg. I add Morton's lite salt and sometimes an egg for egg drop soup.

Broth also comes in handy if I'm trying to get in more calories on an UD but don't feel like eating another snack. Adding melted butter or hwc to broth makes it easy to get in another 100-200 calories. :)

adillenal 04-19-2013 03:05 PM

I just use the little cubes dissolved in a mug of hot water. And I like it but I do NOT like drinking canned broth.

ravenrose 04-19-2013 03:08 PM

Better than Bouillon Chicken Base makes a much better broth than anything canned, in my experience.

gotsomeold 04-19-2013 03:19 PM

I make my own bone broth. So, I control the sodium, the flavorings. And I am addicted - love it, love it, love it.

Carly 04-19-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16383331)
Better than Bouillon Chicken Base makes a much better broth than anything canned, in my experience.

I use Better than Bouillon Chicken and B.T.B Beef. The beef is only 10 calories a serving. The chicken is 15. I enjoy it.

LoCarbGal 04-19-2013 03:24 PM

I like the cubes or powder. It's the salt, I think, that makes it good to me. That said, I don't eat too much of it. I think I've gotten past my need for something like that to keep me satisfied on DDs (most DDs anyway).

kh155 04-19-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16383331)

I agree!
I've tried both the chicken and beef.
I have a preference for the chicken.

mom23kids 04-19-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16383349)
I like the cubes or powder. It's the salt, I think, that makes it good to me. That said, I don't eat too much of it. I think I've gotten past my need for something like that to keep me satisfied on DDs (most DDs anyway).

Me to, past the broth needing stage, but it was a huge help during my low dds/when I was actively trying to lose weight. I just used Meijer store brand organic broth and added a splash of hot sauce.

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 03:48 PM

I like the better than boullion, but not the last bit because the stuff never seems to dissolve completely.:dunno:

lc-chica 04-19-2013 05:34 PM

Hmmm, okay thanks for all the suggestions!

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 05:46 PM

Also, there's a thread about this somewhere...adding Salsa Con Queso (SCQ) to your broth really makes it tasty too. Store brand is fine. :) I think one T is 10 cals.

KeirasMom 04-19-2013 06:25 PM

Wyler's cubes, 5 calories for either chicken or beef, and it's yummy. I rarely have it these days, but loved it in the early days with a serrano pepper (2 calories) sliced thinly in it. Super spicy!

adillenal 04-19-2013 06:44 PM

I guess I am in the minority since I still drink broth every DD.

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 06:46 PM

Adi, every time I heat some on the stove at work, people say, "That smells so good!" I haven't had any in over a week though. I need to start drinking it again, because I'm eating instead. :D

calichris 04-19-2013 07:09 PM

Another vote for Better than Bouillon! BUT I rarely have it because I would normally want it on DDs, and because I'm sodium-sensitive on the scale and it tends to make me retain water, I'd usually rather skip it.

scalestepper 04-19-2013 07:10 PM

I got tired of chicken broth, if I use it, I use powder. Sometimes I mix tomato powder in it if I'm having a mug. My favorite is a concentrate cube I found in the Hispanic section called Cons-Mate, a blend of tomato and chicken.

Carly 04-19-2013 07:29 PM

I need extra sodium due to very low BP. The broth helps up my sodium for the day and I'm usually freezing so it warms me up, but I probably only have it 1-2 times per week now. I also like miso soup. The paste I have is 25 calories per mug. I haven't been as freezing since the last couple days got into the 60's!

Yennie 04-19-2013 07:44 PM

Canned - yucky to drink straight.
I like cubes, powder & paste. Love it straight or on taters. Will often make a mug, use it for taters & drink the rest. I am also a salt fiend so the sodium doesn't bother me.

lc-chica 04-19-2013 07:53 PM

The miso soup that you guys use -- the one I saw at the store (Thai Kitchen) - it's $2.49 for one serving.

Is that right?

Strawberry 04-19-2013 11:08 PM

The only broth I can really just drink is homemade broth. Its really worth it to take a Saturday, pile the bones and veggies into a stock pot or crock pot and let them boil for a few hours. It actually isnt much real work, because you dont have to carefully chop anything.

If I take Kitchen Basics broth, and add a little garlic powder, black pepper, and squeeze of lemon juice its reasonably good.

The way to make your storebought stock taste really good is to boil some veggies in it. (the classic mix is carrots, celery, and onion) Or if you have any left over chicken bones..... even just the remainders of a rotisserie chicken breast.... and boil it in the stock for about 15 min, it will give a MUCH better flavor! I'm sure boiling veggies or bones adds a little bit of calories, but it cant be much.

Something else that wasnt bad - but was pretty salty - was using those liquid concentrated chicken stock packets. An example would be "Swanson flavor boost", but there are other brands. They are found next to the canned and boxed broths.

PS do you like V8 or Tomato juice? that can be a pretty low cal alternative. You can warm it up too.

wiiiifit 04-20-2013 12:02 AM

I also make my own bone broth. Like most have mentioned, I kind of outgrew drinking broth on DD. But, I make soup a lot and use the broth for that and/or cooking. I have been on a real soup kick lately for both DD and UD. Soups are easy, low calorie, lots of veggies and with homemade you can control the ingredients, sodium, calories, etc. This week I had taco soup, potato soup, chili and vegetable soup. The vegetable was canned but everything else homemade; then, after I ate the canned I remembered I had some homemade veggie soup in the freezer. :annoyed:

adillenal 04-20-2013 03:49 AM

I have plenty of homemade turkey broth in the freezer but I prefer the convenience of the cubes. I keep a jar at work which is where I consume most of my broth. :)
It just depends on your preference but plain canned is not a choice I will make.:dunno:
Maybe it is the salt that satisfies me but a cup of broth made with one cube eliminates my hunger for several hours.

Librarygirl 04-20-2013 04:39 AM

I don't care for the homemade broth. It seems to have a funky taste, to me. I've added herbs and everything, still made me gag. I can drink the boxed broth, or BTB fine.

adillenal 04-20-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16383964)
I don't care for the homemade broth. It seems to have a funky taste, to me. I've added herbs and everything, still made me gag. I can drink the boxed broth, or BTB fine.

I don't care for it plain either. I make it to use for soup base when I make veggie soup during the winter. My Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey remains make enough broth to last me a year. I just freeze in Dannon qt yogurt containers.
And I gagged on the bone broth and DH wouldn't even try it the second time and he has been known to eat just about everything.:)
Kudos to those that like or love bone broth. Even the yard dog sniffed at it a long time before he drank it.
So high sodium Wyler cubes are my first choice. I found a broth base by Orrington Farms that is O.K. Never found Better than Bouillon locally. I love a mug of hot broth to calm my hungries when I really don't need to eat even on an UD.

shirlc 04-20-2013 07:34 AM

I use Wyler's granules, either chicken or beef, with a half teas. of Coffeemate for only 10 calories. I really like the saltiness of the broth...suppose it's not very healthy, but it sure is a lifesaver on DDs!

Carly 04-20-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc-chica (Post 16383770)
The miso soup that you guys use -- the one I saw at the store (Thai Kitchen) - it's $2.49 for one serving.

Is that right?

I get mine at an Asian market (H-Mart) and I get 8 servings for less than 2.49, so that sounds too expensive. Kikomann is 3 packets per bag and may cost about 2.50, but it's not as good as the paste imo.

scalestepper 04-20-2013 07:53 AM

I've never eaten miso but would love to try it. Dr Oz recommends one low sodium miso a day, what brand should I get that's not real expensive? I would have to order it as we have no Asian market. ty

Joyjoy 04-20-2013 08:38 AM

I make my own, too, and will nevah, evah go back. Delicious, relatively easy, and crazily healthy. Feel like Julia Child.:):heart:

Carly 04-20-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalestepper (Post 16384251)
I've never eaten miso but would love to try it. Dr Oz recommends one low sodium miso a day, what brand should I get that's not real expensive? I would have to order it as we have no Asian market. ty

The brand I use is not in English so I can't type it for you.