Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
How is your DD going today (Part 2)

So...how is your DD going today?

Scale (worst to best)
1 - Miserable, I want to crawl in a hole and hide util tomorrow
2 - Not so great, I want chocolate
3 - OK
4 - Not so bad, I guess DD's have a good side too
5 - Awesome! I have so much energy and I don't even want food!

(Borrowed from Avicenna as her original thread is now closed because of its size.)

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-19-2013 at 09:36 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

About to go home so having fond thoughts about my fish dinner. I'm unreasonably excited about tomorrow's canoe trip as the weather is still good and it looks like it will continue into tomorrow.

Still a 5 for hunger.

I may watch Skyfall (yet again) tonight as I find that nicely distracting without needing too much attention. I'm pretty stiff from last night's weight-training so I'd like that to pass before tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Mine started out as a 3, but now it's a 4.5. Feeling good!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
A solid 5. I am back from my 120 mile round trip to get feed. Since there is a brand new large grocery store across from the co-op, I went grocery shopping too. Bought a diet iced tea in a bottle since they carry the only brand I can stand ready made. Took a 4 oz cold boiled potato with me for lunch. Think I will have a cup of broth since my stomach is making so much noise but I am not hungry.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
A 2 maybe. I am hungry. I've had 280 calories and I feel like I've eaten absolutely nothing today. Just one of those difficult DDs to get through, so I'll do it, but I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kh155
Stats: 247.8/245.8/155 (to start) 5'7" 52 yo
Start Date: April 10/13
Sorry you're having a rough one, Cindy. Hang in there!

Today I'm having a 4.
I had ONE sour cream glazed timbit at Tim Horton's today that was 90 calories! I did not think it would be so high. I was thinking maybe 40. So not worth it. I would've rather have had some chocolate for the expense.

Dinner was delicious! Tender tip ham with cabbage, onions and smoked paprika. Yum! I'll definitely keep that in the DD rotation.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh155 View Post
I had ONE sour cream glazed timbit at Tim Horton's today that was 90 calories! I did not think it would be so high. I was thinking maybe 40. So not worth it. I would've rather have had some chocolate for the expense.

Dinner was delicious! Tender tip ham with cabbage, onions and smoked paprika. Yum! I'll definitely keep that in the DD rotation.
It's odd how often you end up thinking something like: "Hm, it was OK, but definitely not worth the calories".

Did you sprinkle the smoked paprika over or was it cooked in with the cabbage and onions?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Felt really hungry and decided a cuppa wouldn't see me through till dinner time.
So, unusually, I've already had 230 cals.
I hope it lasts!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
It's 9am on a Sunday and I don't feel like eating my arm yet. So far I'm at a 3. Two hours from now I might be craving some chocolate though.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

First official day of my leptin reset programme after spending the last 21 days transitioning to it after the 28 day potato hack (I had to start incorporating fat again very slowly as I'd eaten no added fat for the duration of the PH).

Having to eat the majority of my calories in the morning makes me feel like I don't have a safety net. Now, if someone gave me a spontaneous social invitation to eat something off-plan, I'd refuse but previously it would have felt more like my choice than something that is mandated by a programme (if that makes sense). I suppose I should just think of it as a somewhat more restricted version of a DD.

I'm not hungry at all (and haven't been for weeks now) but I'm surprised that a little bit of me seems to be resenting a way of eating that I deliberately chose.

Because I need bang for buck for protein v. low calorie density for leptin reset DDs in particular, I've been reading about goat and kid meat for several weeks. Today, I finally ordered some (it's not readily available where I live and neither is it within our normal commutes). It has lots of protein, B12 and iron with such low levels of fat that parts of it need very careful cooking to make sure it doesn't turn out too dry. (There's a good reason why goat curry tends to have something like coconut milk to add fat to it.)

Mussels tonight - and I'll need to have anti-histamines at the ready because I had a slight reaction that last time that I ate them (more than a year ago) and I couldn't work out if I were developing a reaction to them or if that batch just had a lot of histidine.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

SS, is the leptin reset ongoing, or is it something you accomplish then eat "normally"? I might Google it.

My DD is going well, but it's not yet 10 am...Oops, just looked at the clock and see I have a meeting!! Check back later!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
SS, is the leptin reset ongoing, or is it something you accomplish then eat "normally"? I might Google it.
You're advised to follow it until such time as symptoms of leptin resistance recede/you start showing signs of leptin sensitivity. The Kruse version (which is the one that I'm following) is supposedly around 6-8 weeks for the reset but it may be shorter/longer than that.

The basics of the Kruse version:
- Eat 50-75g of protein at breakfast which should be within 30m of waking
- Keep carbs at 50g or below (<25g if weight loss required)
- Eat 3 meals a day, reduce to 2 if practical
- Allow 5-6 hours between meals
- Allow at least 3 hours between dinner and bedtime
- No snacking - black coffee or tea OK but no caloric drinks between meals
- Sleep adequately
- No aerobic exercise or weight lifting until LS (leptin sensitivity) is re-established; normal activity or walking is OK

According to Kruse, once leptin sensitivity is restored, you can eat more carbs, introduce HIIT, weight lift and generally tweak your way of eating to suit (it seems most people reduce the amount of protein at breakfast). He strongly advises that people should continue to eat a fairly primal diet (wholefood) with an emphasis on fish and seafood: no snacking between meals is his constant refrain as he doesn't think it desirable to have repeated episodes of insulin release a day. He's emphatically not a fan of the sort of endurance events such as marathons or century bike rides.

Both Adi and Flossyliz have mentioned that they followed the Byron Richard's Mastering Leptin plan. Similar to Kruse (it predates it) but with fewer strictures about the amount of protein at breakfast or its timing. I think Richard doesn't have restrictions on exercise.

There is a Rosedale plan which is similar to the above but emphasises that calories should predominantly come from fat, rather than protein.

Some of the emphases are different because the plans reflect whether they're targeted at reducing weight, restoring hormone sensitivity, improving health and longevity etc.

Despite the disagreements amongst them, they all seem agreed on the basics (eg, don't snack; get adequate sleep; moderate carbs) but differ somewhat on how to restore hormone sensitivity through tweaking your macro nutrient intake.

I think that all of them are approximately to be adopted as long-term principles after the initial leptin sensitivity is restored.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: incompetence - missing words :)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds interesting SS, and thank you for sharing!! I think that concept is sound and may be something I am able/want to do in the future.

My DD is going well today. My protein shake actually has kept me full all morning long, which is something I recently said would not work for me. I haven't tried a shake on a DD in a long time, so it could be JUDDD that is helping it work (appetite suppression). All I know is I'm grateful!! I believe I can go without another thing until dinner. For a change, I am giving this DD a 5.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm humming away to Simon & Garfunkel's Homeward Bound as I wend my way back. I have tomatoes and green beans to prepare for the dehydrator tonight but once they're in the dehydrator I should be able to sit down and watch a film with DH. With luck, we'll have enough time to see, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the Daniel Craig version).

I'm not hungry - so that's still a 5 for me. But, I'm aware that I'm hyper-aware of other people eating confectionery or bakery items on the various Tubes and trains. I'm pleased that I don't have any stray half-packets on fruit jellies etc. in my pockets/bags that I could mindlessly eat without really noticing. I hope this passes because it feels like I'm in a subversively self-sabotaging state of mind.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Sounds interesting SS, and thank you for sharing!! I think that concept is sound and may be something I am able/want to do in the future.

My DD is going well today. My protein shake actually has kept me full all morning long, which is something I recently said would not work for me. I haven't tried a shake on a DD in a long time, so it could be JUDDD that is helping it work (appetite suppression). All I know is I'm grateful!! I believe I can go without another thing until dinner. For a change, I am giving this DD a 5.
I had a fantastic DD last Friday and am replicating it today, hoping for the same results.

B: Espresso shake (120)
L: Wendy's chil (210)
D: Decaf espresso shake (120)

450 total, which is nearly double what I normally have on a DD, but I had no hunger and plenty of energy. We shall see if today works out the same. I had my first shake at about 8:30 a.m., I'm taking lunch at 11:30 a.m. (in half an hour) and I'm not even remotely hungry, though I wasn't on Friday either, and still ate, and had a great day. Maybe for me, it's easier to eat preemptively since I'm not prone to mindless eating or overeating. Hmm.

Shakes never used to keep me satisfied either, so this is surprising to me.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

I took a suppl. that was a sample from GNC that I've had for a long time, and I feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin. I hope to come down off of this SOON. No thought of food, however LOL.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
Start Date: 4/2/13
Quote:
I took a suppl. that was a sample from GNC that I've had for a long time, and I feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin. I hope to come down off of this SOON. No thought of food, however LOL.
How funny you mentioned that supplement Librarygirl! I have been feeling (and eating) out of control the last three to four days and tearing my hair out wondering how to get back on track. I started the potato hack three times but could not make it through the second half of the first day due to intense sugar cravings/carb that I succumbed to every night. I was not bingeing on salad, celery or cucumbers, just sugary, carby treats. The overall effect is that I gained back all the weight I lost on JUDDD so far

Yesterday evening, somehow, amongst the feelings of desperation and failure (and tears), I remembered that there are supplements that help attenuate cravings for sugar and carbs. So, I did some research and found L-Glutamine discussed on several sites. I ran out to the vitamin store and got 1500 mg capsules and popped 2 immediately (recommended on the bottle to take 1-2 caps up to 3X per day).

When I got home, I also remembered that I had a bottle of Green Bean Coffee Extract laying around and took one of those as well. I found this worked to help stop mindless eating when I first tried it about 5 months ago (heard about it on Dr. Oz). After about two months, I felt like it stopped working so I stopped taking it, but I still had a bottle left that I was too lazy to return.

Long story long (apologies)...I did not sleep a wink last night. Pretty much have not had this much energy ever (except for when I was taking prescription Phentermine a few years ago--which also made me a very mean person ). Instead of sleeping, I finished my book club book, cleaned the bathroom, scrubbed the kitchen, caught up on another book and had a productive internal brainstorming /ideation session around a work project. Fearing that I would be exhausted for work today, I decided to take 2 melatonin. I did start to feel drowsy. So, I went back to bed, but could just not nod off.

To the topic at hand....My DD is a 5 so far.
This morning, I still have a ton of energy, energy, energy and my food cravings are under control. The real test will be the second half of the day, but I now feel confident that with the combo of Ptero, L-Glutamine and Green Coffee Bean Extract, I will be able to weather the storm.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lovely fresh thread!

My DD is a positive 5. So far had a soya flat white and 2 poached eggs on toast.

Shiritake and hot sauce any minute now
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
How funny you mentioned that supplement Librarygirl! I have been feeling (and eating) out of control the last three to four days and tearing my hair out wondering how to get back on track. I started the potato hack three times but could not make it through the second half of the first day due to intense sugar cravings/carb that I succumbed to every night. I was not bingeing on salad, celery or cucumbers, just sugary, carby treats. The overall effect is that I gained back all the weight I lost on JUDDD so far

Yesterday evening, somehow, amongst the feelings of desperation and failure (and tears), I remembered that there are supplements that help attenuate cravings for sugar and carbs. So, I did some research and found L-Glutamine discussed on several sites. I ran out to the vitamin store and got 1500 mg capsules and popped 2 immediately (recommended on the bottle to take 1-2 caps up to 3X per day).

When I got home, I also remembered that I had a bottle of Green Bean Coffee Extract laying around and took one of those as well. I found this worked to help stop mindless eating when I first tried it about 5 months ago (heard about it on Dr. Oz). After about two months, I felt like it stopped working so I stopped taking it, but I still had a bottle left that I was too lazy to return.

Long story long (apologies)...I did not sleep a wink last night. Pretty much have not had this much energy ever (except for when I was taking prescription Phentermine a few years ago--which also made me a very mean person ). Instead of sleeping, I finished my book club book, cleaned the bathroom, scrubbed the kitchen, caught up on another book and had a productive internal brainstorming /ideation session around a work project. Fearing that I would be exhausted for work today, I decided to take 2 melatonin. I did start to feel drowsy. So, I went back to bed, but could just not nod off.

To the topic at hand....My DD is a 5 so far.
This morning, I still have a ton of energy, energy, energy and my food cravings are under control. The real test will be the second half of the day, but I now feel confident that with the combo of Ptero, L-Glutamine and Green Coffee Bean Extract, I will be able to weather the storm.
I'm glad it's working for you! I'd rather be hungry than this though. I don't like this nervous feeling. I won't be taking hydroxycut again!!! L-glut doesn't do this, so next time I will take that.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
Start Date: 4/2/13
Quote:
I'm glad it's working for you! I'd rather be hungry than this though. I don't like this nervous feeling. I won't be taking hydroxycut again!!! L-glut doesn't do this, so next time I will take that.
You're right Librarygirl! The feeling is very focused and not "twitchy." Before I took Phentermine, all of the supplements with ephedrine made me twitchy and sweaty and gave me stomach upset. I know that ephedrine was banned and now most Hydroxycut-type thermogenics use different formulas. That being true, I have tried several and never felt like they helped me (even when they had ephedrine) control my appetite or cravings.

Though, since I stopped taking Phentermine, I find that it's almost harder for me to control my appetite and have any energy than it was before I started taking it. I feel relatively lucky that I did not gain more weight back when i went off of it than I did (20 lbs). I have heard that Phentermine use can cause adrenal fatigue and make it harder to lose weight than if you had not taken it in the first place. I wonder if I have it....Not Awesome.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Having a 5 with the help of ptero and L-Glutamine. Had my cold boiled potato for lunch and had to put some of it back in the frig for later. Never did that before.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

I ended up eating some cottage cheese and baby carrots even though I wasn't hungry, just to help with the nervousness of this damn supplement, lol. What good is it! Now, I have only 86 calories left in the day, if I plan to stick to 20%. Probably will not.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shellyshebby
Stats: 260/202/180 5'9"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/18/13
My did is going good. Just ate my meal of the day, lean cuisine Thai spring rolls. I'd give today a 4.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I am so grumpy today. It's not even a DD issue, but an I work with absolute morons issues. Interestingly enough, I have not wanted to gorge on chocolate and food though so at least that emotional eating thing is getting under control. Still have to say GRRRRRRR though. :-(
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Sorry it's not going so good today Lisa. I know the working with morons syndrome very, very well. Seems like there's a whole bunch of them around and they're multiplying. Thank goodness none of them are on this board! This is one of the sane places in my life!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
I am so grumpy today. It's not even a DD issue, but an I work with absolute morons issues. Interestingly enough, I have not wanted to gorge on chocolate and food though so at least that emotional eating thing is getting under control. Still have to say GRRRRRRR though. :-(
Well there's a HUGE victory, Lisa!!

You'd be dealing with the morons anyway, might as well be looking better doing it!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
I am so grumpy today. It's not even a DD issue, but an I work with absolute morons issues.(
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Sorry it's not going so good today Lisa. I know the working with morons syndrome very, very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysmith View Post
Well there's a HUGE victory, Lisa!!

You'd be dealing with the morons anyway, might as well be looking better doing it!
I agree with all the comments commending you for not dealing with it with food. That's a definite achievement - particularly on a DD.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
I feel ok, not really hungry, I'm sure I can go until bedtime...a 5 for hunger, a 3 for energy, a 2 for mood. I just went and looked up how much I have to lose to be merely overweight instead of obese, according to BMI...that would be 17 lbs. Sigh...

I swear, I don't feel "obese"...just middle-age frumpty-dumpty...
Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
5! I am feeling really good today. Hardly ate anything today, and was fine. Not dreaming about food either. Today is my fifth DD.
Closed Thread