Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #1621
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolover View Post
This is only my second DD and so far I feel great. My first DD was a definite 5. Today, I had some light hunger, but I think it's because I did not eat very much yesterday. It was real hunger, not a craving for something specific. It's been a while since I've felt actual hunger. I had some breakfast and feel much better now.

I haven't read the JUDDD book and I wonder, is it okay to eat less than the 500 calories allowed on DDs?

How important is it to eat near your max calories allowed on UPs? Is much less, okay?

I don't do liquid meal replacements, but I'm pretty good at low calorie food prep. I'm remembering things from my weight watcher days - decades ago! I've been attempting (and failing) low carb/keto/paleo-ish weight loss for couple of years now. I have to dig up my old WW recipes for the DDs, lol! I do want to keep carbs fairly low on both DDs and UPs.
You can go as low as you want on a DD. A full fast is perfectly fine. That being said, most of us try to eat up to our UD calories for a couple of reasons. Some of us found we stalled if we didn't eat enough on UDs, to counteract the low DDs. Also, you want to be well fueled for your DD. As you've noted above, you are experiencing more hunger on today's DD after eating a smaller amount on yesterday's UD. And, when you get to maintenance, you want your metabolism to be burning as hot as possible. If you restrict to low calories on UDs as well, your body could become accustomed to that and need fewer calories to function. Don't you want to be able to eat more when you get to the finish line?

Regarding shakes/liquids, if you can count/measure/track accurately, there's no need to use shakes. I never did. I prefer to chew.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #1622
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tangolover
Stats: 318/306.6/115 5'2" 50
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 25, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
You can go as low as you want on a DD. A full fast is perfectly fine. That being said, most of us try to eat up to our UD calories for a couple of reasons. Some of us found we stalled if we didn't eat enough on UDs, to counteract the low DDs. Also, you want to be well fueled for your DD. As you've noted above, you are experiencing more hunger on today's DD after eating a smaller amount on yesterday's UD. And, when you get to maintenance, you want your metabolism to be burning as hot as possible. If you restrict to low calories on UDs as well, your body could become accustomed to that and need fewer calories to function. Don't you want to be able to eat more when you get to the finish line?

Regarding shakes/liquids, if you can count/measure/track accurately, there's no need to use shakes. I never did. I prefer to chew.
Ha, ha! Yes, I want to be able to eat more when I get to the finish line. That line really cracked me up! Well, that all sounds very reasonable, thank you. I'm slowly going through some of the threads here to see everyone's experiences - it's fascinating reading. I will try to stick fairly close to my limits and see how it goes.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #1623
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
This is only my second DD...

I haven't read the JUDDD book and I wonder, is it okay to eat less than the 500 calories allowed on DDs?

How important is it to eat near your max calories allowed on UPs? Is much less, okay?
Yes, you can eat fewer kcals on DDs but it's good to stick with the 500kcals for the first 2 weeks of induction so that you can work out any small snags that you encounter. Reduce the kcals later if you wish but keep them at that level if you're losing and you're comfortable with that intake.

Much less on UDs would mean that you weren't following the sequence that Dr Johnson argues turns on the SIRT1 genes (yet to be verified, but this is his hypothesis). You would be following a low calorie WOE rather than ADF.

In his latest update to his book, Johnson doesn't give UD levels but the experience on this board is that it's better to retain metabolic flexibility by keeping to your UD kcal intake. That way, if you need to reduce as you become lighter, you can reduce kcals intake easily. If you're already on a very low intake, you can run into problems quite quickly and adjust your metabolic output down to a very low level and make it so efficient that it needs fewer kcals to function which makes it harder to lose your body fat.

As ever, people need to experiment to discover what works for them.

ETA: crossed with Dawn - agree with everything she said.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-28-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #1624
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
Start Date: June 2013
I did two UD's so I could time an UD for the Superbowl So I am really not hungry today. After my fast two UD's felt really good, but I am really not hungry today. I think I will do no calories today, which after fasting for 21 days should be a breeze
Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #1625

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Last night I could feel a splurge coming on, and I did go over my UD calories. Not sure by how much, but several hundred, I'm sure. No biggie. I think it's PMS stuff, and I did make the conscious decision to go ahead and eat more. I'm feeling pretty good today, and will allow myself up to 500. Nothing but water so far, and it feels like a 5.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #1626
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
This is only my second DD and so far I feel great. My first DD was a definite 5. Today, I had some light hunger, but I think it's because I did not eat very much yesterday. It was real hunger, not a craving for something specific. It's been a while since I've felt actual hunger. I had some breakfast and feel much better now.

I don't do liquid meal replacements, but I'm pretty good at low calorie food prep. I'm remembering things from my weight watcher days - decades ago! I've been attempting (and failing) low carb/keto/paleo-ish weight loss for couple of years now. I have to dig up my old WW recipes for the DDs, lol! I do want to keep carbs fairly low on both DDs and UPs.
Yep. You have gotten some good advice already.

Dr J. does say that keeping it as low as possible on DDs helps to build up the sirtuin enzymes faster. And, the reason you want that to happen according to his book is that the SIRs block fat from being stored and move already stored fat into the blood stream where it can be used as energy and burned up.

I'm not deliberately doing low carb but realized I'm gravitating towards it on DDs. Protein really keeps me from getting hungry. So if I have those tummy grumbles and eat a hard boiled egg or something high in protein like turkey it is satisfying and keeps me from being hungry for a long time.

Another thing I'm noticing is the lower I go on DDs (my last one was only 84 calories) the less hungry I am on the following UD. And, my food choices on UD are getting more and more specific and more nutritious.

Like yesterday's UD. I was not hungry until about 1 pm. But when I did get hungry I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted a big raw onion and an avocado (had to make a trip to the store for those which means I was really committed to it!) and seasoned ground turkey put into a low carb sandwich wrap with lots of lettuce, a bit of jalapeno cheese and sour cream. Wow, it's so fun to have a specific food desire and then be able to have it.

I wanted meatloaf, brussel sprouts and wine for dinner. Nothing else would have made me happy, so that's what we had at our house last night!

On my last two UDs I have not counted calories. I guess it's because I didn't start eating until late in the day and my food wants were so zeroed in. Because of that I figured there was not much of a chance I would go over my 2000 limit.

Dr. J also said in his book that you don't have to force yourself to eat the UD limit if you are not hungry.

I have had some really low UDs and then did not feel overly hungry on the following DD and did just fine. I've also had some high UDs and felt starving on the following DD. It does not always make sense.

What I want to say is: Don't over think it! Keeping JUDDD simple will help you succeed. I say if you can easily do DDs that are lower than 500, go for it!!! You will feel such a sense of accomplishment and you will lose a bit faster.

Eat to your UD limit if you can and you enjoy it. Don't force yourself to eat when you are not hungry. Some might disagree. But I feel there will be a time down the road when you will want to increase UD calories and there is time to do it then.

Lots of people have found that when they go into maintenance and raise calories they actually keep losing.

Listen to your body and your brain. And, again, keep it simple! That's what is so great about JUDDD! Not complicated.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 01-28-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #1627
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl44 View Post
I did two UD's so I could time an UD for the Superbowl So I am really not hungry today. After my fast two UD's felt really good, but I am really not hungry today. I think I will do no calories today, which after fasting for 21 days should be a breeze

Seriously, you are a PRO!! You've got this. I'm also changing my rotations so that Superbowl Sunday can be an UD. We are going out for my favorite breakfast, eggs benedict and champagne. Then we are ordering pizzas and making snacks for game time. There will be light beer and wine.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #1628
Blabbermouth!!!

It might be a bit too early in the day to actually rate my DD. But, what the heck! I'll give it a 5.

I slept in a bit this morning and then had an almost 2 hour phone chat with one of my sisters.

So far I've had coffee and ice water.

I'm not hungry at all and hope it stays that way! I would love to have another DD under 100 calories!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #1629
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm upgrading to a 5+ this afternoon.

Got big bursts of energy and cleaned the whole house. Somebody stop me!!!

So far I'm still at only 60 calories and fingers crossed that can continue on for an under 100 day.

My low DDs are sure paying off this week. I only had a +1.6 bounce on the scale after yesterday's UD. So, feeling like a third low DD will keep me happy again tomorrow morning.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #1630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I'm upgrading to a 5+ this afternoon.

Got big bursts of energy and cleaned the whole house. Somebody stop me!!!

So far I'm still at only 60 calories and fingers crossed that can continue on for an under 100 day.

My low DDs are sure paying off this week. I only had a +1.6 bounce on the scale after yesterday's UD. So, feeling like a third low DD will keep me happy again tomorrow morning.
Holy Cow, Yam! you are really rockin' it! You seem to be having wonderful DD's pretty regularly. What more could we ask for! KUTGW!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #1631
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Holy Cow, Yam! you are really rockin' it! You seem to be having wonderful DD's pretty regularly. What more could we ask for! KUTGW!
Thanks! I hope this lasts. I have to think some of this is coming about because of the Pterostilbene supplements. Today and my last DD I took 3 of the Jarrow 50 mgs in the morning. Then one more in the mid afternoon. No appetite. Even though I noticed my tummy growling, I was more like an outside observer. You know, like when you hear someone else's tummy growl and not your own.

My head was not hungry and it told my tummy to pipe down!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #1632
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Thanks! I hope this lasts. I have to think some of this is coming about because of the Pterostilbene supplements. Today and my last DD I took 3 of the Jarrow 50 mgs in the morning. Then one more in the mid afternoon. No appetite. Even though I noticed my tummy growling, I was more like an outside observer. You know, like when you hear someone else's tummy growl and not your own.

My head was not hungry and it told my tummy to pipe down!
Oh, it will last........have no doubt!!! Outside observer. LOL You told your tummy who's boss!

I attribute my good DDs to the pterstilbene also. I've been taking them on my UDs also to curb my tremendous appetite, and it is working quite well enabling me to keep within my limits.

Yam-Yam, you don't need will power, cause you already have da want power.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #1633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fair amount of physical work to do today and I'm a tad achey from last night's weight-training. However, I'm mentally and emotionally OK as I head into this DD so I hope that keeps up.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #1634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Closing my DD. Unusually enough, some peckish moments but I think I was cold and damp enough to crave the act of eating something warm rather than actually needing to eat.

<450kcals today. So, well within bounds for a higher DD.

Probably 4 overall. Hoping for good night's sleep as I'm fairly bruised and achey.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #1635
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
My DDs have been really easy lately (the last couple of weeks). No real hunger to speak of and decent energy. I'm hoping this continues.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #1636
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Yesterday's DD was a bust. I was so darn hungry by the time I got home, I fell face first into a jar of peanut butter and (not gonna say because it was way too many carbs). It ended up being a higher end MD at best.

I admit straying to other threads, namely Trigger's Low Carb Our Way, again. Because sometimes, I just want to be able to eat everyday with DH, dang it!!

Keeping it an UD today, though, and after tomorrow's DD, the scale will be kind to me on Saturday.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #1637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I admit straying to other threads, namely Trigger's Low Carb Our Way, again. Because sometimes, I just want to be able to eat everyday with DH, dang it!!
Fly-by because I'm getting ready for kayaking but have you seen the Fast Five thread?

Terri has an IF with JUDDD (?) window specifically so that she can eat dinner with her DH.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #1638
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Fly-by because I'm getting ready for kayaking but have you seen the Fast Five thread?

Terri has an IF with JUDDD (?) window specifically so that she can eat dinner with her DH.
That's how I typically do my days now. I've even done F5 before, and although I can do that easier than JUDDD, it didn't do much in the weight loss department. Thanks for thinking of suggesting, though!

Have fun kayaking!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #1639
Blabbermouth!!!

It's close to lunch time here and I have to give my DD a measly 2 because my tummy is growling and on top of that I feel really miserable.

Instead of my cold going away it's getting worse. I feel all fuzzy and very congested.

I thought today would be an easy DD because DH has to fast all day for a medical procedure tomorrow. Instead, he is really grumpy. He is just so used to eating 3 squares a day and having anything he wants in between.

So now, I have to put up with my miserable cold, my growling tummy, and him being a grouch and talking about the food he wants to eat. Grrrrrrrrr....

Maybe I should just go back to bed!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #1640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tangolover
Stats: 318/306.6/115 5'2" 50
Start Date: January 25, 2014
Thanks for the info Slowsure and YamYam!

Not over-thinking it and learning to listen to my body are certainly things I need to work on. With LC I did learn a lot about myself, preparing foods and handling cravings. JUDDD seems so flexible and simple and so far, tomorrow will mark one week in for me, I love it and have had surprisingly little hunger. It fits so well with my up and down life style.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1641
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the info Slowsure and YamYam!

Not over-thinking it and learning to listen to my body are certainly things I need to work on. With LC I did learn a lot about myself, preparing foods and handling cravings. JUDDD seems so flexible and simple and so far, tomorrow will mark one week in for me, I love it and have had surprisingly little hunger. It fits so well with my up and down life style.
So glad to hear this! You are really rocking it your first week!KUTGW!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #1642
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Good day today. Little hunger, but feeling headachy. I know that's as a result of me not drinking enough liquids today.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #1643
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/199/180
My last couple DD's have been great! I've been starting out with a shake w/skim milk at 5:00am. I switched to the Slim Fast protein powder and only use a 1/2 scoop--tastes fantastic and I'm suprised it's keeping me full. I've only had a couple "all liquid" DD's so far, but I think they may be the key to what was missing when I failed JUDDD the first time around. I'm making a goal for all my DD's in February to be shake/bulletproof coffee and see how things pan out. I really want to succeed this time around....

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #1644
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Today is my very first DD!! Going well so far. I'm undecided where my 400-500k will come from. Maybe almond milk, protein powder, and MCT oil for lunch, and then swiss chard and some calf liver with onions for dinner. Or i have flat-out wraps and deli turkey I could do for lunch. We shall see. Wish me luck.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #1645

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm loving hearing about all the good DDs! Keep it up everyone!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #1646
Major LCF Poster!

Mine's a 3.5

The last couple have been hard, don't know why. It's one of those "I wanna eat every day, dagnabit!!" difficult DD's.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #1647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxy1971 View Post
My last couple DD's have been great!...I've only had a couple "all liquid" DD's so far, but I think they may be the key to what was missing when I failed JUDDD the first time around....
Well done on the good DDs. And, if I may, you didn't fail JUDDD the first time, you got a good grasp of what didn't work for you. (I'm a JUDDD rebooter myself who had to go away and return to it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Today is my very first DD!! ... Wish me luck.
I'm very partial to calf liver (also heart) and it's unusual to see anyone else mention it. Good luck with your DD plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
It's one of those "I wanna eat every day, dagnabit!!" difficult DD's.
Much empathy. It's continuing to rain here like it's one of the scifi movies in a dystopia where the rain never stops. I really fancied a stew for the comfort factor and in the vain hope of warming my bones after spending my evenings painting in cold, damp rooms for neighbours who are badly affected by the flooding. However, it's been raining since before Christmas so I need to resist the emotional pull and stick with the broths and glucomannan dumplings or shirataki noodles.

My DD has been a 5 for eating on plan and actual appetite but a 3 for wanting something with a high comfort factor.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #1648
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

I'm very partial to calf liver (also heart) and it's unusual to see anyone else mention it. Good luck with your DD plans.

I thought it would be good for a DD since it's so high in nutrients
Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #1649

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Today didn't start out as a DD, but I've been busy and had a fairly low calorie breakfast and lunch, so I'm thinking if I have a low calorie dinner, I'll end up under 800 for the day, so I can call it a DD. I love DDs that just sort of "happen" especially when I haven't had one in several weeks.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #1650
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
OMG Dawn I am obsessed with your new avi. You look amazing! Is that from the night of the concert?
Closed Thread