Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #1051
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I've done it both ways, Blonde, and I really think I lose about the same. That said, I rarely go carb-crazy. But I do have my pizza days, or dessert days. And I still lose.

It could be your calorie levels aren't quite doing it for you. You really do have to find that sweet spot. I've stalled out because I reduced me calories too low, and I've also stalled out because I let my calories creep up too much. You might want to try either increasing or decreasing your UD calories by about 100 and just doing that for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

This is the first DD of the rest of my life. The first (successful) DD since Wednesday for me too. And I am ready. So far, only hot tea. I'm freezing today, so I'm mentally believing that it means I'm burning fat.
Thanks Carol! I believe you're right about the UD calories. I need to keep better track...seems like Thanksgiving morphed into a series of 'reward' Up days. Not a good thing. Good for you on the great DD! Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
Blonde - I don't actually count carbs, but know that they affect my weight loss. I find if I obstain from them through the day and only eat them at dinner time in normal amounts, I do very well. I stick with lower carb veggies and lean protein through the day - and then if I want a potato, rice or other grain I have it at dinner - if I have them earlier in the day, guaranteed I will eat more grains and have trouble putting the brakes on. Good Luck!
Goner, great advice! I too find that carbs early in the day cause more hunger than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post

Blonde, I'm trying to stick with eating low carb. I cut out carbs, wheat, and sugar months ago, but it hasn't help me in the least to lose weight. I had a carby Thanksgiving and felt no ill effects, which I thought strange. I may not be as carb sensitive as I thought, but I believe lc is still a better way to eat (for me).
Thanks so much for your input! I totally feel the effects of carbs...bloating, lethargy, and more bloating...I know I can have some without bad results but I really need to figure out how many is too much. I'm not ready to walk away from JUDDD but I will explore my options.

Yesterday's DD came in at 700, higher than I wanted but not a complete loss. I ate my calories mid-day so I still went to bed hungry.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #1052
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4devochki
Stats: 200.6/189/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2 December 2013
It's dinnertime, and I've made it through with copious coffee, tea and water, and 1T of cream in the coffee--20 cals!

My plan was to avoid eating any solids today except for 1 cube of hard cheese at bedtime if needed. But while the day was pretty OK, now I'm feeling pretty shaky. Am trying to understand how much of this is habit-hunger or seeking a tranquilizer for the stress that always builds up at this part of the day (kids come home, supervise homework/music practice/dinner etc.). Will try to power through without anything, have some salty leek broth.

Question for experienced JUDDD-ers: the science says fat provokes no insulin response, while protein does. If we are trying to keep insulin turned off, and thus allow for fat-burning, has it empirically worked better for you to stick with doses of fat to tide you over on fast days, rather than having mixed meals (carbs/protein/fat)? In other words, is there any advantage to sticking to pure fat?

I know Krista Varady put her subjects on one high-protein meal at midday for under 500 cals--maybe protein is the way to go on DDs?

Maybe I'll try re-posting this in a question forum. Happy DD!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #1053
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hi Blonde!!!
DD4 for me. As before, DDs are easier for me than UDs. I wake up starving on UDs and eat about twelve days worth of food by noon. I'm sure this'll settle in a bit, and I've ordered the pterostilbene so many of you love.
I'm LC only because I become a crazy, miserable addict when sugar and flour are within thinking distance.
For today's DD I'm doing eggs because I read a post in which Adi described egg DDs and Adi is one of the many juddd goddesses I worship. You perma-juddders (Adi! Cindy, Tina, Dawn, Carly, etc.) deserve to be up in lights on Broadway. We're so lucky to have you.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #1054
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mornin! Not sure about an answer to your question re: fat/ protein but it does sound like it makes sense...to eat protein or fat on DD's. I know extra carbs make me extra hungry. As for the shakiness...having broth really helps a lot. I have two or three big mugs of broth throughout a down day (15-30 calories) depending on what kind. Vegetable has the least amount of calories. I feel like this helps with that shaky feeling I sometimes get.

Good luck and
Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #1055
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
WTG girl! You rocked that DD and have kept it lower than I ever have!

I find it easier and feel better when I keep my DDs high fat or high protein. I try to limit carbs, except for low cal veggies, on DDs. I have done bacon DDs, egg DDs, HWC and cream cheese DDs. They usually feel very satisfying and often are followed by a nice loss. Come to think of it, I need to do some of those again.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #1056
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristin, going back over my JUDDD journal, egg days were the easiest.

Carol, lol, my DD was 700 calories.....

Must have been someone else?

I was replying to a post about shaky DD's....I don't think I've ever had a DD under 300.

I really need to do some of your suggestions for DD's.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 12-04-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #1057
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4devochki View Post
It's dinnertime, and I've made it through with copious coffee, tea and water, and 1T of cream in the coffee--20 cals!

My plan was to avoid eating any solids today except for 1 cube of hard cheese at bedtime if needed. But while the day was pretty OK, now I'm feeling pretty shaky. Am trying to understand how much of this is habit-hunger or seeking a tranquilizer for the stress that always builds up at this part of the day (kids come home, supervise homework/music practice/dinner etc.). Will try to power through without anything, have some salty leek broth.

Question for experienced JUDDD-ers: the science says fat provokes no insulin response, while protein does. If we are trying to keep insulin turned off, and thus allow for fat-burning, has it empirically worked better for you to stick with doses of fat to tide you over on fast days, rather than having mixed meals (carbs/protein/fat)? In other words, is there any advantage to sticking to pure fat?

I know Krista Varady put her subjects on one high-protein meal at midday for under 500 cals--maybe protein is the way to go on DDs?

Maybe I'll try re-posting this in a question forum. Happy DD!
Each of us responds differently. Some do wonderfully with just/mainly fat. Fat makes me hungry, so my DDs are usually pretty low fat. I like a good mix of protein and bulk. Others do best with lots and lots of fresh veggies. It's really about finding what works for you, and other than your own metabolism, I don't know that there's really any advantage to having mainly fat or protein, other than what's going to keep you satisfied and following the plan.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #1058

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We are all so different. There really is no simple answer to what helps most on DDs. It is a meter of trial and possibly error, but once you find your sweet spot it is worth sticking to it.

Great DD here, Zumba this morning, one small coffee, one 10 cal broth drink at around 3pm, one cup of the at five, planning soup made from left over veggies later.

I'll call it 5 +.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #1059
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Blonde and 4devochki, I do much better having mainly fats on a DD. It's mainly in the form of coffee or tea with cream and/or butter for the majority of the day. But, that's me - proteins, and definitely carbs, do nothing but make me want more. Much like putting that first bite of food in my mouth on a DD!! But, it's individual and you gotta find what works for you.

Oh, and Blonde, ending your DD at 700 ain't that all bad!! Still a good DD!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #1060
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DD Thursday~so far so good.

Thanks Vanilla! Not stellar but at least I didn't throw in the towel...

Coffee this morning and having lunch with my BFF, at Souplantation. For those who don't know, it's a giant salad bar with soups, muffins, pasta etc. I only do soup (if it's a good one) and lots of salad...so that's my plan for today and tonight, just water, herb tea or maybe broth if I feel like I need something else. Having something like this to look forward to makes for a nice DD.

On another note, between thanksgiving and leftovers etc, I feel my up days have been higher than they should be.....
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #1061
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
So far my DD is going well - which is a godsend after ending my UD in a bag of M&Ms (stress eating). It feels like a 5 - hoping it lasts!

I couldn't think of protein that doesn't have some fat - but my brain is in an M&M fog this morning - I like hb eggs for a DD, very satisfying - but then they have some fat - cheese keeps me full also - full fat. Fat alone, like butter? I've been afraid to try that - but do a fat bomb with coconut oil sometime and that is VERY filling and satisfying.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #1062

I like FF Greek yogurt on DDs. 1 cup of Dannon Oikos is 120 calories, no fat, and 22 grams of protein. I add EZ-Sweetz or SF syrup.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #1063
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Dd
My normal safe- menu
Hot no calorie drinks,
Broth
Look forward to my evening ol buddy
Orville Redenbacker
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1064
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Going to enact my DD plan now. Water, caffeinated tea (some, not a lot), protein shake if I feel like eating something.
vitamins
more water
Dinner is a cauliflower topped shepherd's pie, and green beans.

fingers crossed! I've figured out that I'm PMS this week and it's making me HUNGRY. not happy about that.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #1065
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Good DD so far, as it's only early afternoon. Nothing but liquids so far. BPC, tea w/butter, will have a cheesecake muffin with coffee w/cream soon. Dinner - not sure yet.

Weight was the same this morning as yesterday (an UD). Sure hope that means the Whoosh Fairy will descend upon me soon!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #1066
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Nilla, I'm pulling for you soooooooo much!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #1067
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
So far my DD is going well, except that it was supposed to have happened yesterday! Was doing great until I got seated in front if a huge plate of nachos at a friends birthday party last night. Looking at my calendar today it probably works out just fine as tomorrow is another party.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #1068
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
This DD has been stellar (so far). I spent the day cleaning the house and putting up all the Christmas decorations. It looks so pretty - I'll try and take some photos and post soon. I trust I burned up a whole bunch of calories, and didn't really even think about eating. Dinner will be nice and light, and hopefully I can end up around 400 calories or less. 5+++
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #1069
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was on track and had a good dd!
I give it a 4.5, only bc my tummy is grumbling and hurts a bit, but not bad compared to earlier this week when it felt like there was an actual hole burning in it.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #1070
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I was on track and had a good dd!
I give it a 4.5, only bc my tummy is grumbling and hurts a bit, but not bad compared to earlier this week when it felt like there was an actual hole burning in it.
It's as though you're reading my mind.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #1071
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Today is a DD for me. But we have the office Christmas dinner. We are not going anywhere fancy thank goodness and I know there will be salad on the menu. So my plan is egg whites for lunch and then hold off till the dinner. It is early at 5. Then we r going to first Friday to see the tree lighting and visit local merchants. It will be hard as the merchants always have out treats and wine!!! I hope I can keep it low.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #1072
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
Start Date: July 2014
Today is my 3rd DD since starting back with JUDDD. My lovely bf brought home a fun illness, which I have now picked up. I feel kind of awful right now, but trying to fight through. I plan on having lots of broth and tea today to hold me over until I can get home and have some chicken soup. Luckily I'm not all that hungry, but I really feel like it's not good to focus on calories when your body is sick. I haven't been sick in quite a while - I think it was June the last time I felt this bad. 'Tis the season, I guess!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #1073
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great DD yesterday! I had a huge salad w/ vegetables for lunch and a small cup of soup....that's it/ Maybe 400 calories for the whole day. I am discovering that having my DD meal around lunch time makes nighttime so much easier. Usually by 4:00 I'm in 'starving mode' and cranky and I can;t seem to get my meal together fast enough! Two days this week I had my DD early in the day and it was tolerable all evening. I may have found my DD sweet spot. I sure hope so.

Congrats all on great DD's and for those who aren't feeling well, take your Vitamin C and drink lots of liquids!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #1074

Sorry you're sick Jen. I'm fighting a chest cold here and was really blah and emotional last night (not like me). Today, I'm doing a DD and I'm going to try to have some yogurt again. I haven't had any all week (due to phlegm, sorry TMI), but I miss it. Hoping today will be at least a 3 or 4.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Great DD yesterday! I had a huge salad w/ vegetables for lunch and a small cup of soup....that's it/ Maybe 400 calories for the whole day. I am discovering that having my DD meal around lunch time makes nighttime so much easier. Usually by 4:00 I'm in 'starving mode' and cranky and I can;t seem to get my meal together fast enough! Two days this week I had my DD early in the day and it was tolerable all evening. I may have found my DD sweet spot. I sure hope so.

Congrats all on great DD's and for those who aren't feeling well, take your Vitamin C and drink lots of liquids!!
I'm the odd one who can't go all day and then have a bigger dinner on DDs. I almost always had my biggest meal at lunch time when I was still losing. I found if I had a decent lunch, I could often just have broth or miso or some veggies for dinner and be just fine.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #1076
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
Start Date: July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Sorry you're sick Jen. I'm fighting a chest cold here and was really blah and emotional last night (not like me). Today, I'm doing a DD and I'm going to try to have some yogurt again. I haven't had any all week (due to phlegm, sorry TMI), but I miss it. Hoping today will be at least a 3 or 4.
I'm sorry you're sick too! Something is going around, I know a lot of people are having issues. And I understand on the dairy thing - I had some cheese yesterday, and I think that made things a lot worse. What am I craving today? Yep, cheese.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #1077
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

That's a great thought to try the meal at lunch time. I too am starving by the time I get home from work on a DD and try to hold out for dinner. Won't know till I try it - so far I've been afraid that if I was hungry after lunch I would again eat and go over my calories.

I'm happy for you if it is indeed your sweet spot!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #1078
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Yep yesterdays carb up UD has made for a disasterous DD. And it's only 925 a.m.!

I was up late watching tv, and didn't get many hours of sleep.

So tired. Want to eat ALL the things. I will not eat ALL the things. Maybe 1 or 2.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #1079
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I like FF Greek yogurt on DDs. 1 cup of Dannon Oikos is 120 calories, no fat, and 22 grams of protein. I add EZ-Sweetz or SF syrup.
Of course FF greek yogurt - told you my brain was mush. I guess FF cheese would also be protein without fat. DUH!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #1080
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
DD5. Eggs worked really well for DD4. Will try this again.
Closed Thread