Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   potty breaks at work (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802429-potty-breaks-work.html)

tofucheez 04-19-2013 06:29 AM

potty breaks at work

Hello all-

There's been much talk lately re: frequent potty breaks. I've always loved to drink water and tea, and so have always been a frequent bathroom visitor. I'm also used to getting up several times during the night.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced any issues at work in regards to your potty breaks. A lot of people don't have the luxury of "going" whenever they need....only at scheduled breaks, usually every two hours (or longer). In my current job I can go every hour, but I've had jobs in the past where I couldn't, and it was agony.......so just curious......any problems? Years ago I also had a coworker tell my boss that I "go" too often.

lc-chica 04-19-2013 06:40 AM

I go a lot! Sometimes, the only thing I worry about is coworkers thinking I am a weirdo LOL. I would never imagine getting in trouble, although I have heard of such a thing (a pregnant person was let go because she went too much? I think this was in the news recently, maybe it was local). Anyways thankfully I have a job where I can go when needed. Phew!

E.W. 04-19-2013 06:53 AM

Needing to get up several times a night may be something to look into. About 5 years ago I too needed to get up several times a night and in my case found this was caused
by my undiagnosed sleap apnia. Once I started using my CPAP I found at most I may need to get up once a night. By the way sleap apnia a lot more common than most of us
realize.

Carly 04-19-2013 07:02 AM

I can't get up during a client's session, but I walk out of meetings all the time. I guess I'm lucky, but they would be very displeased about the alternative...

KeirasMom 04-19-2013 07:14 AM

I'm lucky I can go whenever I want. I get kidney stones, so I've always consumed lots of water and go at LEAST once an hour. Nobody bats an eye.

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 07:29 AM

I go a lot at work and always have. I am quick though, and back in less than 5. :D One of my co-workers goes often too, but you can count on her being in the bathroom at least 10 minutes EVERY time (unless it's close to her lunch hour). ;)

Yennie 04-19-2013 07:51 AM

I go a lot too. Drink lots and have always needed to go a lot. Usually I can time it so I don't get stuck in the middle of doing something where I truly can't stop. I guess I'm lucky in that sense.
I recently had a coworker comment on how frequently I go, I just said Well, I drink a lot and what goes in must come out!

lc-chica 04-19-2013 09:05 AM

I am quick too! LOL.

adillenal 04-19-2013 02:38 PM

When I was in the classroom I did not drink fluids very often since there is no time to go to the bathroom very often.
Now that I am an administrator I can drink all I want and go to the bathroom as often as I want to. I guess you could call that a perk.

Shari4 04-19-2013 03:31 PM

I used to have a very large bladder; so, I didn't need to go all the time. That's when I was young! Now, after some aging, kidney stones & poor muscle control.......I go all of the time! :o Thank goodness I am at home most of the time! I think there needs to be a law that prohibits businesses from not allowing people to go on potty breaks! Do they not know what a mess that would be??! :mad:

Ringamajig 04-19-2013 06:08 PM

I take a bathroom break every 1-2 hours as I drink a lot too. I am also quick, 3-5 mins. I do not take breaks, so this is how I justify. :)

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 06:31 PM

I don't go frequently if I don't drink a lot of water. I've been drinking a lot of water to help w/weight loss and so, lots of bathroom trips!! I have always tried to drink a lot of water, but have gone long periods where I did not, and also did not need to use the loo often...so "always have" might have been exaggerating (in my earlier post). :)

tofucheez 04-19-2013 07:36 PM

To everyone who can go when they need to, consider yourself very fortunate! At the job I had (where a coworker complained about my frequent trips), another gal I worked with (a retired school teacher) was afraid to get in trouble so she wouldn't drink anything all day so she wouldn't have to go.......NOT healthy!

LiLi914 04-20-2013 06:12 AM

I can't go to the bathroom when in session with a client, but I haven't found any issues with bathroom breaks. I've also been a huge water drinker since I was in HS so I don't pee that often as I think my body is used to the fact that I loathe public restrooms. When I'm about to have a woosh though I find myself maybe going to the bathroom three times at work for about two days and no one has said anything. I can't even imagine a company restricting your need to empty your bladder. Ridiculous!

kh155 04-20-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16383616)
To everyone who can go when they need to, consider yourself very fortunate! At the job I had (where a coworker complained about my frequent trips), another gal I worked with (a retired school teacher) was afraid to get in trouble so she wouldn't drink anything all day so she wouldn't have to go.......NOT healthy!

People wouldn't believe the crap (hehe) that goes on in some places concerning washroom passes.
This topic makes my blood boil as I've personally experienced and witnessed many co-workers be shamed, initmidated & reprimanded for going "too many times". :mad:

Thankfully, I am now retired. :jumpjoy:

Flossyliz 04-20-2013 07:15 AM

It's tough on teachers - and thirsty work. I'd be absolutely bursting by break time and of course there was a long queue. :mad:

Retired, I drink water throughout the day. At home, I have 15 stairs to the bathroom and some days I go so often I wonder if I should up my exercise level on Johnson's calculator! :D