Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Supplement comparison (ptero, reversatrol, etc) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802349-supplement-comparison-ptero-reversatrol-etc.html)

tofucheez 04-17-2013 06:25 PM

Supplement comparison (ptero, reversatrol, etc)

Hello lovely people--

Ok, so we have the ptero thread. But it seems lots of folks have also recommended reversatrol, l-glutamine, and acetyl-l carnitine to help on DD. Either with hunger, mental focus, cravings, etc. I've read through so many threads and posts where these different supps are mentioned, but thought it would be helpful (hopefully to more than just me!) to share your opinions/comparisons/experiences with these different supps in one place. Specifically, in regards to how they help you stay on plan.

Thanks bunches!

KeirasMom 04-17-2013 09:13 PM

So far I haven't noticed any benefits with any of them, and actually had horrible headaches with Resveratrol. I suspect I may metabolize supplements differently than others, though, and that may be due to my wonky thyroid. I'm interested in what others have to report.

Kissa 04-18-2013 06:09 AM

I have only used the Resveratrol and the Ptero. Personally the Ptero gets my vote. 2 50mg tablets first thing on a DD really stops my hunger.

tobelowcarber 04-18-2013 12:14 PM

I am seriously thinking of getting Ptero to control appetite. Are there any side effects?

Kissa 04-18-2013 02:17 PM

For me, none that aren't good.

Carly 04-18-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16381089)
I am seriously thinking of getting Ptero to control appetite. Are there any side effects?

I'm with Cindy- no ill effects. The only other supplement that I take is resveratrol. If I had to pick only 1 it would be the pterostilbene. I take 50 mg currently, but ordered some that is higher (150mg I think).

mojocat 04-18-2013 04:04 PM

I have 4 boxes of ptero trimblue or something like that (special deal) waiting for me to use. (I'm on HCG at the moment so don't want to mess it up but will start taking ptero as soon as I can). I just can't do the alternate day fast, it is not good for my bingeing and the scientist David Sinclair, who is mentioned in Dr J's book on his research in sirtuins and who still hits the headlines as he continues to look for a pill that has the same affect as fasting, takes resv and recommends it to his wife and parents. But as ptero seems to be a lead on from resv I bought them.

I have also bought The Diet Cure by Julia Ross and love it and have made an order for the aminos Trytophan (serotonin and sleep promotor) and D-Phenylaline (for numbing/treats/comfort eating). Those two fit my profile. My back up aminos are L-Tyrosine (energising and stimulating) and GABA (for stress eating).

I am really excited this time to be more prepared and armed with these supplements. I never want to meet that binge monster again - he is nasty. My plan is 5:2 but I'm not sure, will wing it.

lisamt 04-18-2013 05:57 PM

I take pterostilbene for appetite suppression on DD's, and l-glutamine helps to curb sugar cravings. I don't crave sugar or carbs that often now, but sometimes the sugar monster roars its head off right before my TOM. That's when the l-glutamine comes in handy.

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 05:11 PM

I take ptero on DDs mostly, but took 2 today as well (UD). I had more than enough to eat and was still craving munchies. It doesn't work extremely well for me, but it might be the brand I'm using. Others seem to have better results. I'm thinking of starting L-glut again, since I have it in pill and powder form.

b_lou_who 04-19-2013 05:18 PM

I've been taking ptero for quite a while now, just started two fifty mg capsules every morning and feel a big decrease in hunger on low cal days (thank Adi for the suggestion!)
Never took resveratrol.
Do take l-carnitine daily.
I would not be without 5htp now for anything. Sleep and mood both improved dramatically, and no depression since starting.

tofucheez 04-19-2013 05:43 PM

ooh, I'll have to read about the 5htp. I have been a horrible sleeper for years....thanks!

krow134 04-19-2013 05:43 PM

Now see I am the odd one, as I prefer Resveratrol. WHen I take it, it works wonders for me. When I dont take it, no matter my calories my weight will start to climb again.

Librarygirl 04-19-2013 06:05 PM

Can you get 5htp anywhere? I sleep well, but could always use some improvement on mood. ;)

b_lou_who 04-20-2013 08:56 AM

I get 5htp at Costco now. Start with a low dose. If you have bad dreams you probably took too much.

adillenal 04-20-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16381673)
I take pterostilbene for appetite suppression on DD's, and l-glutamine helps to curb sugar cravings. I don't crave sugar or carbs that often now, but sometimes the sugar monster roars its head off right before my TOM. That's when the l-glutamine comes in handy.

I bought L-glutamine but have never taken it soooooo I am adding two L-glutamine (since the bottle says a dose is two tablets) to my two ptero every morning to see if I can get over my desire for sweets. So far so good. Today is the big test since it is an UD. Course it is only mid morning but on UD's I tend to start prowling earlier than usual in the kitchen. So it is outside to do some things.

calichris 04-20-2013 11:49 AM

The only one I've taken is the ptero ... I also take two 50 mg. capsules in the mornings of DDs and I do think it helps.

tofucheez 04-20-2013 02:36 PM

I swear that my body must just not respond like others do. I was prescribed l-glut by my naturopath for gut issues and didn't notice anything at all.

jaymar 04-22-2013 07:30 PM

I have also tried the L glut for tummy/gut problems, and could never see where it helped...I did start taking two probiotics everyday, and that really did help me with the digestive type problems I was having.

LivinTheDream 05-23-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_lou_who (Post 16383418)
I've been taking ptero for quite a while now, just started two fifty mg capsules every morning and feel a big decrease in hunger on low cal days (thank Adi for the suggestion!)
Never took resveratrol.
Do take l-carnitine daily.
I would not be without 5htp now for anything. Sleep and mood both improved dramatically, and no depression since starting.

B Lou, how do you take your ptero and 5-htp? I've recently started back up taking 5-htp and I'm going to get my ptero early next week. Can you take them together or do you generally separate the doses? Also, how much 5-htp do you take a day? I'm starting with 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the evening/late afternoon. Was planning to take the ptero in the morning as well, will start with 50 mg and go from there.

Thanks!