Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Jucing Through DDs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802232-jucing-through-dds.html)

stargazer 04-16-2013 02:31 AM

Jucing Through DDs

I've been learning all about juicing for health and weight loss and it has so much going for it I am giving this a try.

I've already given up my coffees (you are meant to drink nothing but juice and herbal teas) and the detox from that was brutal. I'd recommend getting that done first and allow at least a week. The next thing to do is get your juicer and learn how to do it and get some good recipes under your belt. Not all combinations work so well and can cause digestive issues.

After about a week of juicing my breakfast and lunch I think I've made all the adjustments I need and am ready for a full day fast. I'll count my calories as I go but I'm not proposing to limit what I juice. Carrots and apples are the most calorie dense foods you will be "eating" so as long as I avoid juicing them all day I should be fine. This has to be comfortable or I won't stick it out. A quick calculation shows you should be able to stay well within 500 cals a day. The recommendation is 4 large juices a day and if you get hungry juice another one.

In my brief experience the juices keep you full very effectively and are delicious enough to satisfy the hedonistic urge but it's the evening meal with all its sensual delights that is hard to resit. I still have to cook for the family. So I'll see how I cope for a single day.

You can do 3/5/10 day fasts like this and weight loss is typically a pound a day. So if you can stand it it's a very effective way to drop those dress sizes quickly and with the most nutritionally rich food. Not sure I could do that, but if I can do a day I might just keep going. There are obese people who have done 60 day juice fasts and they do verywell on this. It must be such a rush to loose 60lbs in two months. Check out Joe Cross and his reboot site for inspiration and good recipes.

It seems perfect for DDs.

So far I've had a juice of two oranges and a half cucumber and some salad leaves for breakfast. Very yummy and no hunger.

gotsomeold 04-16-2013 03:13 AM

I did that in one phase of WLM! Juiced veggies during the day, a small salad at night (needed something in my tummy to sleep). I loved it and it was very successful.

Hmmm, we moved and the juicer was packed away. I may have to find it.

stargazer 04-16-2013 05:43 AM

Bust it out! It's so delicious. I just had my lunch: The Mean Green Juice

6 Kale Leaves
1 Cucumber
4 Celery Stalks
2 Green Apples
1/2 Lemon
1 piece of ginger

So filling I could hardly finish it.

SlowSure 04-16-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazer (Post 16376015)
Bust it out! It's so delicious. I just had my lunch: The Mean Green Juice

Do you have a slow macerator (or whatever it's called) that allows you to juice green leaves/stuff? Or a hydraulic press?

stargazer 04-16-2013 06:50 AM

It's a centrifuge juicer. The ones that you push the fruit into a rotating mesh and blades that slice and then and spin out the juice. They are the cheapest and it's just fine. The posh maticators get a bit more juice out but they tend to be expensive and also just take up a heap of kitchen space I don't have.

I've juiced all kinds of green leaves and also whole apples, carrots and lemons. the only thing I've had to peel so far is pineapple. It's such fun pushing a whole cucumber and a bunch of spinach into the chute and watching them disappear.

There is no way I'd eat this much raw fruit and veg whole.

b_lou_who 04-16-2013 07:03 AM

I'm adding whole produce smoothies, mostly greens.
Using my magicbullet until my nutribullet arrives.
This morning is strawberries, baby kale, lemon and added a scoop of SunWarrior veg protein.
I'd like to say my motive is purely keeping the cleansing fiber in, but deep down it may just be serious laziness --I really don't like cleaning the juicer.

mttemple4 04-16-2013 10:24 AM

Ooh, I've been juicing more! I have not been JUDDDing (doing Perfect Health Diet . . . ish) but have been thinking of a partial juice fast or perhaps doing a 5:2 with juicing. I recently got an Omega juicer which is great with kale and other greens.

Also, thanks to a post on another board here I discovered myphytos.com which will give you the nutrition stats in the juice (I have just been counting the whole fruit, even though I am juicing and not smoothie-ing). :)

I'm such a veggie-phobe (it is sad, really) so adding some low-sugar juice to my repertoire has been amazing for me. I even had difficulty with Vitamix smoothies--could never drink more than half a glass--but with juicing I think I will finally be getting some nutrients in.

angie1 04-16-2013 03:23 PM

ahhh I am intrigued! How much to juicers generally cost??

Librarygirl 04-16-2013 04:58 PM

I'm wondering why I'd need to quit drinking coffee? :D I would like to do this sometimes on DDs, for one or all my meals, including my morning coffee. Wouldn't that be OK?

stargazer 04-17-2013 12:59 AM

Coffee is my problem too so I wonder if it's crucial. I failed to totally get off it. The detox so was hard even coming down from my four double shots a day habit. I have just one small espresso in the morning now.

The issue with caffeine is that it stimulates your insulin and cortisol, both of which are bad if you want to lose weight. But just a little amount is probably fine. Keep under 200 mg of caffeine. The other issue is the milk or cream you put in it. This will be digested in the usual way so the idea of resting the digestive process is disrupted. Also many people have lactose intolerance without knowing it and cutting all dairy in the juice fast gives you an extra health boost.

My juicer was 70. You can get cheaper ones but this one came with many recommendations.

I made it through the day and felt fine and had no hunger at all. It was still hard though not eating the nice meal I'd made for the family. The JUDDD motto "I can have it tomorrow" kept me strong. Strangely, it was the cooked veg that I was craving, not the meat.

I'm going to carry on through breakfast and lunch and then see how I feel about dinner. I think if you can do two to three fasts a week and then 50% raw food the rest of the time that would be a huge boost for health and weight loss and still doable socially.

lc-chica 04-17-2013 06:49 AM

I am curious about this but I hardly eat (much) fruit on my DD because they are not that low cal. I used to juice 2 carrots and 1 apple every day. This would put me around 150 calories just for that glass of juice. If I had 3 of them in a day (obviously I would need to switch it up a little bit) that would put me over what my DD calories normally are. Hmmmm...

All I remember is I felt really good drinking it every day, I started to CRAVE it after work (that's when I normally had it). It wasn't SUPER amazingly delicious but I literally craved it after a while.

Librarygirl 04-17-2013 06:52 AM

I might be interested in juicing only on DDs, just for the extra vitamins and nutrients and the possible satiety factor. I am not, at this time, interested in detoxing or changing my WOL completely. That is, I'm not quitting drinking coffee no matter how long it takes to lose weight LOL.

darlingnikki 04-17-2013 06:57 AM

I am on day 12 of a juice fast coming slowly off with adding a home made veg soup for dinner and juicing the rest of the day.
I feel really good and dropped 9 lbs in 11 days.
I plan to go back to JUDD because I loved it but juicing only on DD..
And UD juicing breakfast raw lunch and then having a regular dinner.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Please check in with your progress too!
I have a Breville Juice Fountain Elite and LOVE it.
Have you seen Fat sick and nearly dead?

Nikki.

stargazer 04-18-2013 12:37 AM

Kudos on doing a 12 day fast. I am on day three but I plan to break it later today. I am asked out to lunch. I think I could keep it up but the evening is harder than day time. I got a bit hungry last night and juiced up some carrot and apple and ginger.

It's true that these are not uber low cal. They all involve some fruit, which bumps up the count, but people still lose on the regime. I've lost about 3lbs so far. I live in the loo due to the water weight coming off.

I'm going to follow the same juice, salad, regular dinner scheme. That's what Joe Cross of Fat Sick And N D does between fasts.

I love how this makes you crave raw tomatoes and salads. They are all basically sweet and a bit of savoury is what I am really looking forward to today.

GME 04-18-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16377476)
I'm wondering why I'd need to quit drinking coffee? :D I would like to do this sometimes on DDs, for one or all my meals, including my morning coffee. Wouldn't that be OK?

I am on day 8 of a juice almost-fast (I eat some fruit and veggies still) and I haven't given up coffee. I did give up Diet Pepsi though. One of the "cleansing" aspects of juicing is supposed to be alkalizing the body and I guess coffee stops that.

I lost 4 lbs in 9 days of juicing plus dinner (not all healthy dinners I might add) and have lost 8 more lbs since I started all-juice. I had quite a slip-up on day 6 and was up 2 lbs, but after the next day of straight juice I lost the 2 plus 1 more.

I am quite happy with it. :up:

mttemple4 04-18-2013 10:52 AM

Awesome results, Gina!!!

I saw on the HCG board that you were doing lower sugar juices, correct? I think I'm going to try that as well. Do you have any combinations that you love?

I have been incorporating some very small, green apples and I think even just that little bit is too much sugar when I've tried to do juice as meal substitution. If it accompanies some eggs, it's fine, but on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, it hasn't been good. Going to try swapping the apple for some stevia tomorrow and seeing how I feel. :)

Way to go, everyone!

GME 04-18-2013 11:04 AM

I like spinach, lemon or lime and cucumber. Stevia makes that kind of a lemonade.

I also like spinach, lemon, cucumber, beets and either some berries, or for lower cals but fruity flavor I add sf cranberry juice drink. Trader Joe's has one sweetened with stevia. I am trying to get off aspartame, et al.

tobelowcarber 04-18-2013 11:04 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am also interested in juicing on DD. I would love to see your favorite recipes. Anyone?

b_lou_who 04-18-2013 11:10 AM

carrot, baby kale, cucumber, orange is YUM

mttemple4 04-18-2013 11:16 AM

Thank you!!!

I've been making kale, celery, lemon, tiny bit of carrot, and apple. Some cucumber at times. Today I'm going to try it without the apple and with a little stevia.

My favorite discovery BY FAR though is that I LOVE splashing some kombucha in my juice. I get a low sugar kombucha (citrus flavor, by Synergy) and fill my glass almost to the top with juice and ice and then splash a little less than 1/4 cup of kombucha on top. YUM. It covers up that kale taste A LOT.

GME 04-18-2013 11:38 AM

I tried really hard to like kombucha, but I just couldn't.

I quit juicing kale. I just don't care for it much. I do like spinach so it takes its place. I quit juicing celery too. I like it ok, but it the strings get stuck in my juicer parts. If I get tired of my current faves I'll try celery again.

I add water to my juice too. It occurred to me one day that I get a lot of juice from cucumbers because they are watery vegetables. Other veggies aren't. Well, I can make them so.

mttemple4 04-18-2013 11:42 AM

My husband hates kombucha! He likes everything and I'm super picky, so nothing surprises me more than my love of kombucha. ha ha! I don't love all the flavors, just the citrus really. Tastes like a mimosa to me. :)

I need to remember to add some water too! You're absolutely right about that. Thanks for the reminder!

tobelowcarber 04-19-2013 08:30 AM

I just made a delicious juice for lunch. I used the formula to deduct the fiber (multiply grams of fiber x 4 and subtracts the amount of fiber from total calories of each ingredient)

2.2 oz spinach
1.25 oz kale
1.3 oz lettuce
3.9 oz fennel bulb
3.2 oz celery
1.75 oz carrot

total 48 cal/15 gr carbs (gross)
it was 90 cal before subtracting the fiber