Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Low Carb VS. JUDD -- ADVICE (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/802209-low-carb-vs-judd-advice.html)

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 03:18 PM

Low Carb VS. JUDD -- ADVICE
 
HI there,

My mind has been spinning and turning. Can someone (new or experienced) pls tell me the pros and cons and benefits of low carb vs. JUDDD? I need to get started on a WOE but I am having my doubts on both! Thank you! I'd appreciate your thoughts, and am hoping I can help someone out, too!:dunno:

SlowSure 04-15-2013 03:28 PM

I don't have any advice but there is a good thread on the health adva rages associated with calories restriction and intermittent fasting: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ting-cron.html

Hope this helps.

adillenal 04-15-2013 03:30 PM

It doesn't have to be versus. You can do LC/JUDDD. Now I don't because I could not lose any longer on LC because at my age the calories were just too high. Now I can lose on LC LF but didn't want to go there either. I much prefer JUDDD since I can eat whatever I want as long as I don't go hog wild every UD on calories.
I am maintaining nicely without any food group restrictions including my beloved Bluebell ice cream.

Kimmietoo 04-15-2013 03:36 PM

I enjoy the best success with JUDDD when I combine modified LC with JUDDD. It helps with my blood sugar, cravings and saiety. It's wonderful to be able to go "off" on occasion without suffering lasting consequences, however. :cool: Many of us do a bit of tweaking once we get used to the rotations to have it suited to our individual preferences and needs. That's one of the beauties of JUDDD....flexibility!

Kimmie

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 03:50 PM

For me I think doing both Low carb and IF would be too much. So I'd rather pick one or the other. My main concern is being obsessive on my DD's. But when I think about it, I think I'm obsessive on Low Carb too, weather I am eating carbs or not. I like the weight loss on Low Carb (relatively fast). But I hear that people on JUDDD lose weight slower?

Carly 04-15-2013 03:58 PM

I was really miserable with the feeling of restriction on low carb. I have never felt restricted on juddd. If I want chocolate on my DD- it's allowed- not much of course, but I could have a candy bar for my allotment if I wanted to. On juddd I only had to diet every other day. I could handle that. On low carb every day felt like a diet and then get to goal weight, and... what... eat carbs again and gain the weight back? I could juddd or 5:2 for ever, but low carb- I could not sustain that.

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16375300)
I was really miserable with the feeling of restriction on low carb. I have never felt restricted on juddd. If I want chocolate on my DD- it's allowed- not much of course, but I could have a candy bar for my allotment if I wanted to. On juddd I only had to diet every other day. I could handle that. On low carb every day felt like a diet and then get to goal weight, and... what... eat carbs again and gain the weight back? I could juddd or 5:2 for ever, but low carb- I could not sustain that.

Nice stats, btw! Did you feel the weight loss was slower on JUDDD?

Librarygirl 04-15-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375223)
HI there,

My mind has been spinning and turning. Can someone (new or experienced) pls tell me the pros and cons and benefits of low carb vs. JUDDD? I need to get started on a WOE but I am having my doubts on both! Thank you! I'd appreciate your thoughts, and am hoping I can help someone out, too!:dunno:

Like some have said, it doesn't have to be a versus. You can do both, and some people are carb sensitive, so they do just that. The pros of JUDDD to me was the fact that there aren't any restrictions on what you eat. However, I have found ADF (alternate day fasting) to have many more benefits as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375288)
For me I think doing both Low carb and IF would be too much. So I'd rather pick one or the other. My main concern is being obsessive on my DD's. But when I think about it, I think I'm obsessive on Low Carb too, weather I am eating carbs or not. I like the weight loss on Low Carb (relatively fast). But I hear that people on JUDDD lose weight slower?

Yes it is slower. If you're looking for fast weight loss, you probably won't find it here.

JMBM 04-15-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16375300)
I was really miserable with the feeling of restriction on low carb. I have never felt restricted on juddd. If I want chocolate on my DD- it's allowed- not much of course, but I could have a candy bar for my allotment if I wanted to. On juddd I only had to diet every other day. I could handle that. On low carb every day felt like a diet and then get to goal weight, and... what... eat carbs again and gain the weight back? I could juddd or 5:2 for ever, but low carb- I could not sustain that.

:goodpost: Ditto!

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBM (Post 16375321)
:goodpost: Ditto!

Did you lose all of your weight on JUDDD in that time frame?

JMBM 04-15-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375324)
Did you lose all of your weight on JUDDD in that time frame?

No I started JUDDD at 159 in Feb. I'm now at 148 (or was last I weighed:D) It's been slow, but that doesn't bother me though. It's a plan that I can totally do for life and the numbers are going down.:jumpjoy: I initially started losing w/basic calorie restriction of around 1000/1200 a day. And that got old fast!

adillenal 04-15-2013 04:31 PM

I have only lost 42 pounds but did it slowly on JUDDD and enjoyed the journey. Many many UUAD's where I had carrot cake or Bluebell ice cream. I am sure I would have lost a lot faster if I had been real strict on UD's. I was perfect on DD's though.

mom23kids 04-15-2013 04:37 PM

There's something like a 95% failure rate for long term weight loss success with diets. Losing weight is the easy part-maintaining the loss for the rest of your life is the hard part. You need to compare the two plans in terms of long term sustainability. LC is great, but can you see yourself still doing it in 5 years, 10 years etc? After the motivation and excitement of losing weight is gone and you transition into maintenance, it becomes much harder to stick to your woe (hence the 95% failure rate). My view is that I want something as close to 'normal' eating as possible, because this is how I have to eat for the next 40+ years. Regaining the weight is NOT an option for me, so finding a doable life long plan is a must. I could only do lc for three weeks, before I started resenting the restrictions. Yes, you may lose faster on lc but what does that matter? Five or ten years from now losing the weight a few months quicker will mean absolutely nothing.

Benefits of JUDDD/IF:

You only 'diet' every other day (and when you transition into maintenance it might be evn less-I only do one dd now and one md a week and eat normally the other five days).

There's emerging research coming out pointing to some very promising health benefits.with IF.

NO FOOD GROUP RESTRICTIONS!!! This is so huge, when you think about it in terms of long term sustainability.

It's pretty darn easy to do, after you get comfortable with the plan :)

JUDDD/IF allows you to customize it to how you want to eat. Want to do it with lc? Go right ahead. Decide to become a vegetarian? Yep, JUDDD works with that. Want to only eat ice cream for the rest of your life? JUDDD says go get your scoop on :rofl:

I :love: JUDDD/IF/5:2 and can honestly say I can do this for the rest of my life!

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16375353)
There's something like a 95% failure rate for long term weight loss success with diets. Losing weight is the easy part-maintaining the loss for the rest of your life is the hard part. You need to compare the two plans in terms of long term sustainability. LC is great, but can you see yourself still doing it in 5 years, 10 years etc? After the motivation and excitement of losing weight is gone and you transition into maintenance, it becomes much harder to stick to your woe (hence the 95% failure rate). My view is that I want something as close to 'normal' eating as possible, because this is how I have to eat for the next 40+ years. Regaining the weight is NOT an option for me, so finding a doable life long plan is a must. I could only do lc for three weeks, before I started resenting the restrictions. Yes, you may lose faster on lc but what does that matter? Five or ten years from now losing the weight a few months quicker will mean absolutely nothing.

Benefits of JUDDD/IF:

You only 'diet' every other day (and when you transition into maintenance it might be evn less-I only do one dd now and one md a week and eat normally the other five days).

There's emerging research coming out pointing to some very promising health benefits.with IF.

NO FOOD GROUP RESTRICTIONS!!! This is so huge, when you think about it in terms of long term sustainability.

It's pretty darn easy to do, after you get comfortable with the plan :)

JUDDD/IF allows you to customize it to how you want to eat. Want to do it with lc? Go right ahead. Decide to become a vegetarian? Yep, JUDDD works with that. Want to only eat ice cream for the rest of your life? JUDDD says go get your scoop on :rofl:

I :love: JUDDD/IF/5:2 and can honestly say I can do this for the rest of my life!

:goodpost: My only concern is that I don't want the weight loss to be THAT slow. I have a wedding in October. Can I lose 100 lbs by then? Probably not but I want to get close. I do like the no restrictions of food groups. But I would like moderate rate of speed for weight loss. I am willing to work out most days too to help it get along.

DaSHMith 04-15-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16375353)
There's something like a 95% failure rate for long term weight loss success with diets. Losing weight is the easy part-maintaining the loss for the rest of your life is the hard part. You need to compare the two plans in terms of long term sustainability. LC is great, but can you see yourself still doing it in 5 years, 10 years etc? After the motivation and excitement of losing weight is gone and you transition into maintenance, it becomes much harder to stick to your woe (hence the 95% failure rate). My view is that I want something as close to 'normal' eating as possible, because this is how I have to eat for the next 40+ years. Regaining the weight is NOT an option for me, so finding a doable life long plan is a must. I could only do lc for three weeks, before I started resenting the restrictions. Yes, you may lose faster on lc but what does that matter? Five or ten years from now losing the weight a few months quicker will mean absolutely nothing.

Benefits of JUDDD/IF:

You only 'diet' every other day (and when you transition into maintenance it might be evn less-I only do one dd now and one md a week and eat normally the other five days).

There's emerging research coming out pointing to some very promising health benefits.with IF.

NO FOOD GROUP RESTRICTIONS!!! This is so huge, when you think about it in terms of long term sustainability.

It's pretty darn easy to do, after you get comfortable with the plan :)

JUDDD/IF allows you to customize it to how you want to eat. Want to do it with lc? Go right ahead. Decide to become a vegetarian? Yep, JUDDD works with that. Want to only eat ice cream for the rest of your life? JUDDD says go get your scoop on :rofl:

I :love: JUDDD/IF/5:2 and can honestly say I can do this for the rest of my life!

:goodpost: LibraryGirl, Love "Get your scoop on"! Made me giggle out loud!

mom23kids 04-15-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375367)
:goodpost: My only concern is that I don't want the weight loss to be THAT slow. I have a wedding in October. Can I lose 100 lbs by then? Probably not but I want to get close. I do like the no restrictions of food groups. But I would like moderate rate of speed for weight loss. I am willing to work out most days too to help it get along.

Be careful with the exercise-it can stall weight loss, according to the experts like Taubes etc. Exercise and losing weight are two totally seperate things. Exercise is a good thing, I just don't want you pushing yourself too hard :hugs:

100lbs by October would not be a realistic goal for any plan. Even most people following lc plans experience a slow down after a few months. Average losses on JUDDD seem to fall in the 5-10lb range per month. Remember though, your only dieting every other day.

KeirasMom 04-15-2013 04:54 PM

There's no way to predict how slowly or how quickly you will lose the weight. I lost faster with JUDDD than I did with Atkins, and lost way MORE than I ever could with Atkins because I could sustain this WOE indefinitely. I averaged 3 pounds/week when I started (but I had a LOT to lose). I have lost 110 pounds with JUDDD, and took me about 14 months. That seems fast to me, but may seem slow to you, if you're hoping to lose nearly 100 pounds by October.

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16375395)
There's no way to predict how slowly or how quickly you will lose the weight. I lost faster with JUDDD than I did with Atkins, and lost way MORE than I ever could with Atkins because I could sustain this WOE indefinitely. I averaged 3 pounds/week when I started (but I had a LOT to lose). I have lost 110 pounds with JUDDD, and took me about 14 months. That seems fast to me, but may seem slow to you, if you're hoping to lose nearly 100 pounds by October.

Wow, great losses. It seems like with JUDDD the weight loss is more consistent and steady. I low carbed in the past and after a few weeks my body would be at a standstill. I guess the only way to know is to actually just do JUDDD LOL.
I didn't want to lose 100 lbs by Oct. More just like 75 or so. Which is doable. I should also add that I had gastric bypass 10 years ago.(Yes, I can still eat a lot of food, not at one setting, but throughout the day)

grannysmith 04-15-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16375243)
It doesn't have to be versus. You can do LC/JUDDD. Now I don't because I could not lose any longer on LC because at my age the calories were just too high. Now I can lose on LC LF but didn't want to go there either. I much prefer JUDDD since I can eat whatever I want as long as I don't go hog wild every UD on calories.
I am maintaining nicely without any food group restrictions including my beloved Bluebell ice cream.

Well said!

adillenal 04-15-2013 05:17 PM

If you want fast there is always Stillman's but then again it is not something to do the rest of your life or for a long time either in my opinion. I have done it and it works fast but boy is it restrictive.

grannysmith 04-15-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16375344)
I have only lost 42 pounds but did it slowly on JUDDD and enjoyed the journey. Many many UUAD's where I had carrot cake or Bluebell ice cream. I am sure I would have lost a lot faster if I had been real strict on UD's. I was perfect on DD's though.

ONLY 42 lbs? I've lost 40...50...60lbs multiple times...there's no "only" about it. especially when you get older! you go girrrl! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16375432)
If you want fast there is always Stillman's but then again it is not something to do the rest of your life or for a long time either in my opinion. I have done it and it works fast but boy is it restrictive.

Ugh, just the thought of Low Fat AND Low Carb makes me cringe! No thanks! I think I'll give JUDDD an honest chance and see how my first week goes!

grannysmith 04-15-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375288)
For me I think doing both Low carb and IF would be too much. So I'd rather pick one or the other. My main concern is being obsessive on my DD's. But when I think about it, I think I'm obsessive on Low Carb too, weather I am eating carbs or not. I like the weight loss on Low Carb (relatively fast). But I hear that people on JUDDD lose weight slower?

How old are you, and how many times have you dieted? I think a lot of us ended up here after doing low carb...which WILL take off the weight, if you are really in a hurry, but there is no wiggle room...and october is a long way away...

I haven't been doing this long at all, but doing somewhat low carb(i.e. healthy foods like veggies n such) on UDs, with the occasional blow-out, is probably going to equal doing strict low carb, or trying to and having a binge, and then trying to work your way back.

It's just every other day...

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannysmith (Post 16375469)
How old are you, and how many times have you dieted? I think a lot of us ended up here after doing low carb...which WILL take off the weight, if you are really in a hurry, but there is no wiggle room...and october is a long way away...

I haven't been doing this long at all, but doing somewhat low carb(i.e. healthy foods like veggies n such) on UDs, with the occasional blow-out, is probably going to equal doing strict low carb, or trying to and having a binge, and then trying to work your way back.

It's just every other day...

I am 34 years old. I have dieted since I was 10. Sad, but true. I had gastric bypass surgery and I started at 300, got down to 180 in 6 months and then worked my way back up to where I am today, 247. The lowest I've been in my adult life was 145, and I was 20, I believe.


I apologize, I got lost a little in your last paragraph? Can you reiterate?

Carly 04-15-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375309)
Nice stats, btw! Did you feel the weight loss was slower on JUDDD?

I lost 65+ on juddd in less than a year. It felt fast enough for me. In that year I had 3 vacations and didn't stick to rotations, just jumped in when I got home. I lost as much as 11 pound some months and as little as 4 or 5 in months when I traveled.

When you diet it's either gotta to be low carb, low fat or low cal, you gotta lower something to lose, but I love eating really low (200 kcal) one day and the next day enjoying myself.

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16375492)
I lost 65+ on juddd in less than a year. It felt fast enough for me. In that year I had 3 vacations and didn't stick to rotations, just jumped in when I got home. I lost as much as 11 pound some months and as little as 4 or 5 in months when I traveled.

When you diet it's either gotta to be low carb, low fat or low cal, you gotta lower something to lose, but I love eating really low (200 kcal) one day and the next day enjoying myself.

Note taken. Thank you! True, you have to lower something!

calichris 04-15-2013 06:37 PM

Hi! :hiya:

It's hard to say how much you'd be able to lose on JUDDD (or low carb) by October, but I do think you would lose enough to look and feel great by then and that you'd enjoy yourself along the way. :) (six months is too long to not enjoy what you're eating!).

It sounds like you're going to give it a go, and one thing you should be prepared for is that the scale will bounce up, down, and all around, but in an overall downward trend. The weight also might not come off in a steady way, but in chunks. Totally normal, but after other plans it can be unsettling and feel like you're not making as much progress as you are. The other thing is that it's important to know is that if you undereat your up day calories by too much it may cause a stall and result in slower overall weight loss. If you eventually want to go lower to lose faster, the best day for that is down day... but 500 calories is definitely low enough at first.

Best wishes for your first week. :)

SchoolPsych1979 04-15-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calichris (Post 16375567)
Hi! :hiya:

It's hard to say how much you'd be able to lose on JUDDD (or low carb) by October, but I do think you would lose enough to look and feel great by then and that you'd enjoy yourself along the way. :) (six months is too long to not enjoy what you're eating!).

It sounds like you're going to give it a go, and one thing you should be prepared for is that the scale will bounce up, down, and all around, but in an overall downward trend. The weight also might not come off in a steady way, but in chunks. Totally normal, but after other plans it can be unsettling and feel like you're not making as much progress as you are. The other thing is that it's important to know is that if you undereat your up day calories by too much it may cause a stall and result in slower overall weight loss. If you eventually want to go lower to lose faster, the best day for that is down day... but 500 calories is definitely low enough at first.

Best wishes for your first week. :)

Thank you. I did the calculator on the website. Said my DD was 450? Should I just stick with that or the proverbial 500?
Also thanks for the advice on the scale. I'm a slave to it so I'll remember to weigh only once a week.

lisamt 04-15-2013 06:52 PM

I'm doing low carb and 5:2 and don't feel too restricted or like I'm obsessing over either plan. I may eventually switch to JUDDD rotations with a moderate carb intake.

Today was a higher carb day, which probably kicked me out of ketosis. I'm not really worried because yesterday was a DD and I know I can get right back to low carb. :)

grannysmith 04-15-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16375486)
I am 34 years old. I have dieted since I was 10. Sad, but true. I had gastric bypass surgery and I started at 300, got down to 180 in 6 months and then worked my way back up to where I am today, 247. The lowest I've been in my adult life was 145, and I was 20, I believe.


I apologize, I got lost a little in your last paragraph? Can you reiterate?

Sure..i think i was distracted with the TV AND the radio on...yeesh, that does sound very disjointed when I read it! Most people don't do strict low carb for their up days, but many find it easier to stay on track when they limit carbs somewhat.

Or you can do strict low carb and lose weight faster, but if you get derailed, you tend to stay off track for a while, probably gain some back, then have to get back in ketosis.

on JUDDD, if you have a bad day, tomorrow is always a new start!

I've lost a few hundred lbs on low carb, it was the only thing that worked for me...but i think with my age and dieting history (I didn't start starving myself til i was 13, but I'm 52 now) it was just too many calories at this point in my life.

I'd rather fast every other day than be hungry every day!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 PM.