Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
Any studies on JUDD affecting thyroid?

OK, I don't want to sound like I am blaming JUDD but my recent blood work, after being on JUDD for 4 months, showed my Free T3 levels very low. I am not saying it is JUDD, but it is a possibility. I read about fasting in general not being beneficial for thyroid (especially T3). I wonder if there is any research on JUDD and thyroid function.
I am taking a little sabbatical from JUDD as my binging became out of control but eventually I would like to get back to JUDD with 2-3 DD a week with higher DD calories, but now I am kind of scared.

Anyone had their thyroid tested after being on JUDD for some time. I am not talking about just TSH. My TSH is absolutely normal, it is my Free 3T that is below norm.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Unlikely to be studies on JUDDD as such as it's a relatively recent development.

There are clinical studies on fasting and the thyroid on Entrez Pubmed.

I wonder if your low carb history might be more likely to have affected your thyroid results rather than JUDDD as such? If you look at Marks Daily Apple, there are several threads such as Low Carb and Thyroid Function that discuss the relationship of low carb and thyroid dysfunction. (There are enough reports from various fora and sources to suspect that this is a particular problem for women.)

Paul Jaminet has an interesting discussion/overview of the topic: Low Carb, High Fat Diets and the Thyroid.

Anthony Colpo, Jack Kruse and quite a few others discuss the issue of low-carb and thyroid.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-12-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: typo
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
OK, I don't want to sound like I am blaming JUDD but my recent blood work, after being on JUDD for 4 months, showed my Free T3 levels very low. I am not saying it is JUDD, but it is a possibility. I read about fasting in general not being beneficial for thyroid (especially T3). I wonder if there is any research on JUDD and thyroid function.
I am taking a little sabbatical from JUDD as my binging became out of control but eventually I would like to get back to JUDD with 2-3 DD a week with higher DD calories, but now I am kind of scared.

Anyone had their thyroid tested after being on JUDD for some time. I am not talking about just TSH. My TSH is absolutely normal, it is my Free 3T that is below norm.
I read that the shirts are good for optimizing thyroid function. I'll try to find and link.

Edit, I just googled the words 'fasting thyroid' and got tons of results. I didn't have time to read right now, but maybe you can try that search if you get a chance.

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 04-12-2013 at 04:13 AM..
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The question really is how do you feel? Is that low T3 causing you to experience overwhelming fatigue?

The lab values are based on national statistics and don't reflect any particular individual. It's a combination of the lab value and the patient's symptoms that the physician uses to diagnose.

In regard to T3, there's been some interesting 'notice' [not strict studies but scientific observation] of the fact that low carbers tend to have lower T3 levels, but they are OK. That's because one function of T3 is to metabolize sugar and help maintain a good glucose level in the body. With low carbing, the person doesn't need as much T3, and the body adjusts accordingly.

So although your level is low, it may be fine for you--unless you have having symptoms that indicate a problem.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The question really is how do you feel?...

So although your level is low, it may be fine for you--unless you have having symptoms that indicate a problem.
- agree with this. Unless there's a standout problem, it may depend how people feel.

There seem to be people for whom a low free T3 as a consequence of low carb or fasting is fine. There are others who experience symptoms such as hair loss (according to Chris Kessler et al). Much depends on where you fall along this spectrum.

What did your doctor say in response to the results? Was s/he unperturbed by them or indicate that s/he wants to keep monitoring them?

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-12-2013 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: insert question about doctor
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Marika! I hope you are able to isolate and correct whatever is causing you to binge very quickly!!

Leo41, that is really interesting...and very thought provoking. As I have raved on several other threads, the medical tendency to want to make one generalized number apply to every unique individual is somewhere between counter-productive and absolutely terrifying.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I had no idea that low carbing can do this. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
- agree with this. Unless there's a standout problem, it may depend how people feel.

There seem to be people for whom a low free T3 as a consequence of low carb or fasting is fine. There are others who experience symptoms such as hair loss (according to Chris Kessler et al). Much depends on where you fall along this spectrum.

What did your doctor say in response to the results? Was s/he unperturbed by them or indicate that s/he wants to keep monitoring them?
My doctor never called me. I got the results in mail. He just wanted to test TSH only but I myself requested Free T3 and 4. I will need to find an endo for that, he is just a regular MD.

I don't have fatigue, feeling little more tired lately (I think I am just hypochondriac after seeing the test results ), so I will just get re-tested again. Hopefully it is nothing more than lower calories/carbs skewing the numbers.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My situation is a little weird. I did not know I had thyroid disease when I started JUDDD. I was exactly 4 months in when I got my diagnoses. Weird coincidence I think. For me, though, I was full-on symptomatic, with fatigue, hypothermia (literally my body temp was in the 95* range), brittle hair, aphasia, rashes and dry skin, etc. etc. I was sure I had Lupus or some other condition. It couldn't be my thyroid--I was losing weight, after all!

Looking back, and hindsight being 20/20, I suspect my thyroid has been wonky for about a million years, and got way worse when I was pregnant. I've been treated for depression and anxiety over the years, weight gain, weight loss, and a bunch of other things. I think it all links back to my thyroid disease. I also found out, after my diagnoses, that both my mother and grandmother had thyroid disease (they are both deceased, and I learned of it from an aunt).

If you don't have crazy symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it at all. JUDDD may have exacerbated my condition, or may not have. I'll never know. But I never considered stopping JUDDD, even with my diagnoses. I've discussed my eating with my Endo and she doesn't have a problem with it. I'm pretty well optimized on my medication now (after a year!) and I have no anxiety or depression, or any of the other issues I feel were misdiagnosed over the years. Well, I still have OCD, but that's just me.

ETA: I still have aphasia too, which is frustrating, but that's about it.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 04-12-2013 at 07:07 AM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
My doctor never called me. I got the results in mail. He just wanted to test TSH only but I myself requested Free T3 and 4. I will need to find an endo for that, he is just a regular MD.

I don't have fatigue, feeling little more tired lately (I think I am just hypochondriac after seeing the test results ), so I will just get re-tested again. Hopefully it is nothing more than lower calories/carbs skewing the numbers.
When you get re-tested please request a Reverse T3 test from your doc if you can get it. That's the one that told the tale for me. If you have high RT3, it means your body is not converting T4 to T3 properly. The free T's are essential but the RT3 will make the pic clearer. Actually, what was your free T4? That can often point to a RT3 problem. Let me see...yes, above 1.4 FT4 could indicate an RT3 issue. Less, and you may have an underactive thyroid gland generally. Check out eaware.org for a lot of great info on thyroid issues. Also stop the thyroid madness. Both great resources.

JUDDD BUDDDs!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 9 - 09/04/14, 31 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~172->153
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've been treated for low thyroid with Armour for about five years, after low carbing a few years, but long before JUDDD. I'm sure my thyroid croaked many years ago, and I just never had a doctor who would properly test for it.

I just went and looked at my labs for four years back and find it interesting that my T4 level has stayed almost exactly the same this whole time, and it's near the upper end of the "normal" range. I've asked my doc to consider raising my dose because I still have more fatigue in general that I'd like, but she won't do it because my TSH is very, very low. She's afraid I'll go hyper, but I doubt I would.

I guess every body reacts differently to diet, exercise, all the variables in life. The fun part is figuring it all out, lol.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
When you get re-tested please request a Reverse T3 test from your doc if you can get it. That's the one that told the tale for me. If you have high RT3, it means your body is not converting T4 to T3 properly. The free T's are essential but the RT3 will make the pic clearer. Actually, what was your free T4? That can often point to a RT3 problem. Let me see...yes, above 1.4 FT4 could indicate an RT3 issue. Less, and you may have an underactive thyroid gland generally. Check out eaware.org for a lot of great info on thyroid issues. Also stop the thyroid madness. Both great resources.

JUDDD BUDDDs!
Thanks! I will ask for RT3 next time

T4 FREE 1.1 (0.8-1.8 ng/dL)
TSH 1.73 (0.4-4.5 ng/dL)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Thanks, Marika, for bringing up such interesting discussion.

Leo, hi there, have been thinking of you and hoping you'd keep tabs on JUDDD forum.

Dawn, wonderful you are SO finished with those symptoms, and smart of you to exercise (in general, and because it helps aphasia). Also being sure your D level is optimal, above 50 mg/ml blood level if possible, and taking Omega 3s like fish oil.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I read that the shirts are good for optimizing thyroid function. I'll try to find and link.

Edit, I just googled the words 'fasting thyroid' and got tons of results. I didn't have time to read right now, but maybe you can try that search if you get a chance.
Just wanted to clarify, that was not supposed to say shirts, it was supposed to say SIRTs
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a short synopsis of Resveratrol and thyroid

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/paper:21946130
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #16

Resveratrol gave me horrible headaches when I took it months ago, but that reference makes me wonder if I should try again to assist in thyroid function.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I think I will try it too Dawn. BTW, I just realized how much Keira looks like you.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #18

It's funny; everyone who knows her dad says she looks just like him, but if we're together, just the two of us, they think she looks like me. I keep telling DH I hope that doesn't mean we're (DH and me) unkowingly related or something.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
It's funny; everyone who knows her dad says she looks just like him, but if we're together, just the two of us, they think she looks like me. I keep telling DH I hope that doesn't mean we're (DH and me) unkowingly related or something.
This is funny to me too! People tell me all the time how much Sam looks like me. But then others will say that he looks just like his dad! And his dad and I look nothing alike other than we're both humans - different skin, hair, eye color!! We just look at each other and laugh. Whatchya gonna do?!?!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

That is funny! My situation is I have 2 sons, and individually, they each look like me. But they are totally opposite in apperance. One is tall, slender, olive skin, dark eyes and hair. The other is average height, red/blonde hair, fairest skin and blue eyes and stocky. No one believes they are really brothers. However, they each individually look like their dad too! And when people see their dad, they get it. And luckily they both inherited their dad's huge dimples, which helps with those suspicious people who don't want to believe they are full brothers!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
This is funny to me too! People tell me all the time how much Sam looks like me. But then others will say that he looks just like his dad! And his dad and I look nothing alike other than we're both humans - different skin, hair, eye color!! We just look at each other and laugh. Whatchya gonna do?!?!
hahaha this made me LOL. I am glad you are both humans though!! lol
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I just said not to long ago in the daily chat thread that Resveratrol seemed to be helping me. I know I have suffered PCOS for years, but my old gynie wouldnt look at it. Now when I started JUDDD, I started Resveratrol too. My symptoms decreased and I was losing weight, which has always been hard for me. Minute hubby was laid off I couldnt afford that extra money in Resveratrol anymore so I stopped taking it. And slowly my weight even with JUDDD and running has come back on.

My new gynie is testing me for thyroid and I am pretty sure she is giving me that PCOS diagnosis because once I stopped taking Resveratrol, my hormones went nuts.......Lack of TOM again, facial and body hair growing again, losing my hair on my head left and right, fibroids are growing, possible cyst in my breast, and ultrasound showing a million cysts on ovaries again.....in addition to some new thyroid symptoms that have started.....that all stopped with Resveratrol.

So in searching why......I found that Resveratrol is a "fighter" against Estrogen Dominance. Which is usually what is found in Thyroid, PCOS, fibroids, and things of that nature. I really do need to get some more Resveratrol!!!!

Anyways, I know low carb is recommended with PCOS, however the issue with the thyroid might simply be....eating foods like cabbage, or spinach, or those kind of veggies or even lots of chicken (which is injected with Estrogen hormones to make them grow faster) which encourage thyroid issues because it mimics something with your body, I cant remember what but I know these types of foods need moderation with Thyroid issues. Which I found was something I was eating more of with JUDDD. Chicken on down days, spinach added to my salads because it filled me up. I eat cabbage often as I am polish and foods I grew up eating mostly contain cabbage of some sort! It can even be BPA issues with plastics. There are sooooooo many different could be's and not so much JUDDD. It just was kinda noticed more with JUDDD as you were making a conscience effort to get healthy....know what I mean?

Yes I have been researching alot of things until I get all my test results back. I am not a take prescription kind of gal, so if I can avoid it.....I will try very hard too! Anyway I could be very much talking out my butt here, but I have noticed a hugeeeeeeee differences in how I feel with JUDDD and Resveratrol and with out both of those things. But it could very well be a YMWV thing too!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote