Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   40 Weeks on JUDDD -- Wahoo! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/801755-40-weeks-juddd-wahoo.html)

stephdray 04-10-2013 07:42 PM

40 Weeks on JUDDD -- Wahoo!

Today I weighed in at 246 lbs for a loss of 3 lbs this week, a total of 44 lbs lost, 40 of them on JUDDD.

A new low!

Yeah, so I have no idea how that happened. This week was a whirlwind of eating out, desert-making, and pigouts on my up days. And yet...250 is starting to cement itself in my rearview mirror. I predict a bounce back up next week, because that is my pattern whenever I hit a new low, but I'm drinking it in!

Low Points

Reckless Disregard for Calories. Yeah, so I had big plans last week to plan out a healthier higher calorie breakfast in order to sate me. Instead, I didn't plan anything at all because life hit me square between the eyes. Without getting into the particulars, it became one of those crazy work weeks, groceries did not get planned or purchased--heck, it's a miracle a dish got washed. (*sniff* I didn't even have time to check the JUDDD Boards!) So, takeout was the law of the land. And on up days, I pretty much opened the fridge and ate whatever was in there. Meatball subs for breakfast? Sure. Leftover Chinese? Sure. I ate whenever I felt peckish. I snacked. Not too many vegetables were involved, and I didn't stop eating until I was nearly stuffed. I did it. I own it. It was not pretty.

High Points

Perfect Down Days. My down day numbers are getting lower and lower. It's very rare for me to go over 300 calories and usually it's much lower. I've done complete fasts and yesterday I did a 100 calorie day. I don't fear them. I almost look forward to them when I feel overfull the night before. They are my salvation. Penance for a week of take-out. :aprayer:

Springtime. My husband and I like to walk in the evenings after he gets home from work. We do it for exercise, but we're lax about it. We don't try to feel the burn. We just try to talk about our day while walking a mile, some of it up a very steep hill. Last year I was much heavier and the hill was a real challenge for me. We'll see what it's like this year. I'm so glad to have started up this habit again!

Dessert. This month I sold foreign rights to one of my books to Macedonia. It's my habit to celebrate by eating the food of the country I sell to. (Isn't that typical for a food addict like me?) Anyway, a wonderful friend of mine invited us to a Macedonian-Greek dinner in my honor, and asked us to bring the dessert. In my low carb days, this would have been a nightmarish task that would have sucked the joy out of it for sure. How exactly does one make low carb rice pudding that is fit for company? (Hint: One does not.) But with JUDDD, I was able to experiment and make a Greek semolina custard from scratch, with a simple syrup. And it was delicious. Totally up day worthy. (Everything was so gourmet that day, I expected to gorge, but I actually ate less that up day than the others...possibly because my pleasure centers were tripped early and easily.)

God bless JUDDD and my JUDDD BUDDDs. That's all I've got to say.

calichris 04-10-2013 08:33 PM

Goodbye, 250s! Hello, very soon, 50 pounds lost. :up:
Have we told you how much we love your updates? :D

KeirasMom 04-10-2013 09:06 PM

Fan-dang-tastic! :jumpjoy:

sorenkkg 04-10-2013 09:18 PM

I knew it!

I really think that the gap between UD and DD is key. Not saying go nuts all the time, but I am noticing more and more jbs say that eating on a UD is key to loss.

Re: pudding. Recipe please!

:high5: you!!! :hugs:

Kissa 04-11-2013 01:59 AM

Ata girl Steph, that 250 is a gonna forever.

To lose while living on takeouts, who couldn't love a diet like that? You are now one of our DD queens. I intend to emulate you today, after 2 slices of cake and a delicious takeout curry last night.

Some time back a number of us were commenting about just your point. Cooking, sweet things especially, is just so much more fun when JUDDDing. I am so glad you enjoyed your feast.

And I am glad your walking is back and easier for you. Thanks for you lovely update again. I look for it now like a hungry JUDDer.

Librarygirl 04-11-2013 04:18 AM

Awesome work, getting into a new decade!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy: Love your enthusiasm, and that you're enjoying your life so much while JUDDDing.:love: We have truly found the secret.:heart:

Jbinme 04-11-2013 04:22 AM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
So excited for you!

hollyitworks 04-11-2013 04:33 AM

You're doing great!

Great Job~ Especially when life happens!

Kissa 04-11-2013 04:40 AM

JUDDD really is the 'when life happens' diet isn't it?

Kimmietoo 04-11-2013 04:44 AM

:jumpjoy:Oh how I look forward to your weekly updates, Steph. I am so happy for you! What a wonderful week you had! And yes, I agree with you, it is just amazing to be able to enjoy decadent celebrations and still lose weight! What is not to like about that?! I also agree with you and the others, big gaps between UD and DD calories is a key component to making JUDDD work optimally for many of us.

Onward and downward!!!

Kimmie

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Whitlin' 04-11-2013 05:01 AM

And also the milestone of 40 pounds lost on JUDDD?

Well, this is doubly good news!

:congrats:

SlowSure 04-11-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollyitworks (Post 16366473)
Great Job~ Especially when life happens!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16366479)
JUDDD really is the 'when life happens' diet isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlin' (Post 16366515)
And also the milestone of 40 pounds lost on JUDDD?

Well, this is doubly good news!

In strong agreement with everybody else. Many congratulations and well done for persevering.

(I was at a Balkan event/dinner last Friday - the food was delectable, in particular a Macedonian chicken and hazelnut soup.)

Lori_:) 04-11-2013 05:20 AM

What a fabulous update! Congratulations on the new low! :jumpjoy: I look forward to your updates each and every week.

Even though I've been on these boards for over a month and have seen everyone's successes, there is a little part of me that says this cannot work. It still seems too good to be true! It's early days for me and I've seen limited success, but each week I try to do a bit better. I want to be one of the success stories too!

Thank you for sharing your journey! It gives me the courage to keep JUDDDing!

Flossyliz 04-11-2013 05:36 AM

Thanks and congratulations Steph.
You're really proving it's the When Life Happens Diet! :sing:
Enjoy your walks - what a lovely idea!

sterlinggirl 04-11-2013 06:18 AM

:jumpjoy: :clap: :yahoo:

LoCarbGal 04-11-2013 07:37 AM

Steph, I'm thrilled for you and your 3 pound loss this week! 250 is definitely in the rear view mirror, and getting farther and farther away all the time! Your stellar DDs are what's working for you, and they're so worth it, especially if it buys you a little more leeway on UDs. Wahoo indeed!

I'm so glad you and DH will be starting your walks up again. What a lovely time to connect each day. And so great for you.

Sirtain 04-11-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16366166)

...It's my habit to celebrate by eating the food of the country I sell to. (Isn't that typical for a food addict like me?) ...

Heehee! I love this. One thing I like to do is always have a splendid dinner on the Opening Night of the Olympics from the host country. I still remember Athens with fondness.

I love reading your updates, Steph. When I joined the forum, I went through and read the whole chunk of them. Now I have to wait for my once-a-week fix.

DaSHMith 04-11-2013 09:40 AM

Steph, what a wonderful update and congrats on your loss. :jumpjoy: I look forward to being as successful as you are on JUDDD. It is so inspring to see how you have "worked the program" in the face of the stressful life situations. Cheers to you!:high5:

KeirasMom 04-11-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16366870)
Heehee! I love this. One thing I like to do is always have a splendid dinner on the Opening Night of the Olympics from the host country. I still remember Athens with fondness.

I love reading your updates, Steph. When I joined the forum, I went through and read the whole chunk of them. Now I have to wait for my once-a-week fix.

This is a fantastic idea! I'm stealing it.

Flutter 04-11-2013 11:43 AM

Steph, elated to hear about your great loss this week!!! I have also found that eating more on UD and super low on DD is the ticket.it's crazy unbelievable to have to eat more to lose more. Crazy! Sure puts a big smile on your face when it works, though! Go you!!!!! :clap: :heart:

sdjade 04-11-2013 11:44 AM

Congratulations on 44 lbs lost! Woot Woot for JUDDD! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Yam-Yam 04-11-2013 12:02 PM

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!:jumpjoy:

jodeeras 04-11-2013 12:19 PM

:clap: :up:
Happy for you!

kh155 04-11-2013 02:04 PM

Great stuff! :jumpjoy:
I read through your posts and I admire your stick-to-it-ive-ness despite having some bumps in the road.

Babsbabs 04-11-2013 02:09 PM

I am happy that you are doing well Steph! :) I had to drop in here to get the update on how your week was. I am glad that you are enjoying food and losing the weight. Your walks sound like the perfect way to visit and I am sure that the hills will be a breeze this year. Have a great week!

TryingJudd 04-11-2013 02:28 PM

New low -- and other great news. NICE :agree:

hot-in-texas 04-12-2013 03:19 AM

Congratulations!:high5:

stephdray 04-13-2013 06:53 PM

Recipe

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16366312)
I knew it!

I really think that the gap between UD and DD is key. Not saying go nuts all the time, but I am noticing more and more jbs say that eating on a UD is key to loss.

Re: pudding. Recipe please!

:high5: you!!! :hugs:

*hugs*!!!

Custard Pie - Galatopita

(From About.com)

Creamy semolina custard is baked until golden then bathed in sweet syrup. An easy custard pie that doesn’t require a pie crust or shell.
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: About 24 pieces

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter, 4 oz.
4 cups milk
1/2 cup semolina (you can substitute Farina)
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract

For the syrup:
1-cup water
1/2 cup sugar
Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 9 X 12 inch baking dish. (I use a glass baker.)

In a large saucepan heat the milk with the butter until just boiling. Add the sugar and the semolina and continue cooking until the mixture thickens a bit, about 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Stir in the beaten eggs and the vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven.

Set a timer for 30 minutes.

While the custard is baking prepare the syrup. Boil the water and stir in the sugar. Simmer uncovered for approximately 10 minutes.

Pour the syrup over the custard and bake an additional 10 minutes.

Cool the custard slightly before serving.

sorenkkg 04-13-2013 07:50 PM

:yummy: sounds great Steph !

Given the geo this is from, I'm surprised there's no rose water or orange flower water in it?

Having tasted it, what do you think? Leave it alone or tweak!
Also, I'm thinking honey in the syrup... ;)
S.

Carly 04-13-2013 08:03 PM

Thanks for a great update! You are just rockin those DDs.
The dessert sounds yummy!