Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Why didn't I try this sooner? Some questions.

Hi all! I'm starting this diet tonight at 8PM...I caught a PBS special about it, and I'd read bits and pieces about it, but I was pretty much sold on lo carb.I've lost a LOT of weight on lo carb over the years...but some how I always find it again...

Lo carb probably kept my diabetes diet-controlled, and I know the routine inside and out, but it just isn't working like it used to. My blood pressure is at an all time high, and i have NO energy...everything hurts.This last time, I dropped my usual 20lbs in the first month...then stalled out...then got depressed...same ol'story.

So I'm trying JUDDD...I immediately renamed it the "half-fast diet", because I do so amuse myself.

If it really works, it sounds like a dream...it doesn't bother me at all to go long periods without eating, many days i go 14-16 hours without eating, and don't even think about it...i never eat when i'm not hungry.

I work nights, and i have to have a little something before i go to bed in the morning, cause i can't go to sleep or stay asleep if i'm hungry, but the lo-carb shakes are fine for that. I usually don't eat at work, i t just makes me sleepy.

So my questions to you experienced folks:

Is a very low calorie DD a good thing? I'd have no problem getting by on a bedtime shake.

Is a long DD fast day--like 8pm tonight(Tues) through 7am Thurs, about 35 hours, with the UD being fairly short--12-13hrs...(starting my next DD at 8pm) going to work? If i just do shakes, that would be 700 calories for that whole period.

Don't worry, I love to cook, and I have dozens of recipes I've been dying to try, but they aren't low carb...i can EASILY eat a whole days' worth of calories in that time ;~) My BMI is 30, I can seriously put it away...kind of a cross between an anaconda and a cow.

Do most of you take the resveratrol? I take a ton of supplements, fish oil, vit D, all the Bs, C, calcium, potassium, glucosamine...what's one more?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Lynn
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Grannysmith, I love the pies you make...guess you're gonna give that up for a while...well..I'm not a long timer here, just since the end of Nov...but..I will share some things I have learned about myself...I do take a lot of the supplements you mentioned...the resveratrol also....My first big surprise was feeling so cold on dd's...that's kind of to be expected I think...eating the full amount of calories on the ud's seems to be very important..I slacked off and caused one of my many stalls....seems like people here have a lot of success with just following the basics of Juddd...keep dd's low and eat up to the amount on ud's...it really hasn't mattered what kind of food I ate..I still lose when I follow the basics..sometimes, when the body is adjusting, you may drink one bottle of water and get rid of two...some call that a whoosh...some people use things like glucomannon fibre to help feel full on dd's...as you read thru things, you will find a lot of good information...Welcome, and good luck to you.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysmith View Post
Hi all!

So I'm trying JUDDD...I immediately renamed it the "half-fast diet", because I do so amuse myself.

this!

If it really works, it sounds like a dream...it doesn't bother me at all to go long periods without eating, many days i go 14-16 hours without eating, and don't even think about it...i never eat when i'm not hungry.

Should be easy, then!

So my questions to you experienced folks:

Is a very low calorie DD a good thing? I'd have no problem getting by on a bedtime shake.

The lower the better! Whatever will keep you satisfied and on-plan.

Is a long DD fast day--like 8pm tonight(Tues) through 7am Thurs, about 35 hours, with the UD being fairly short--12-13hrs...(starting my next DD at 8pm) going to work? If i just do shakes, that would be 700 calories for that whole period.

A DD is typically around 36 hours because it includes two "night's" worth of sleeping, so that's perfect. Most of us try to stay less than 500 calories in that 36 hours. You can start at 700 and may not need to lower it, but be prepared that you may have to work down to whatever the JUDDD calculator gives you in order to see consistent losses.

Don't worry, I love to cook, and I have dozens of recipes I've been dying to try, but they aren't low carb...i can EASILY eat a whole days' worth of calories in that time ;~) My BMI is 30, I can seriously put it away...kind of a cross between an anaconda and a cow.

Do most of you take the resveratrol? I take a ton of supplements, fish oil, vit D, all the Bs, C, calcium, potassium, glucosamine...what's one more?

Some of us take resveratrol and others don't. I personally don't, but it can't hurt to try it out if you're so inclined.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Lynn
Again, , Lynn. I hope you love JUDDD as much as so many of us do.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome! I always feel cold when I fast, too! GrannySmith is what my grandgirl calls me, it's her favorite apple, and probably her first little joke ;~)

Dawn, I got confused...that happens alot when you work nights...i could get by with one shake, maybe two if i'm starving at the time i usually eat in the afternoon, so that would only be about 440 if i use the low-carb ones...by the time i would eat again, i'd be on the UD. Yeah, everyone else would be doing the fast that long too...duh...
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Lynn.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Lynn!

Dawn said it all^^^ above. Sounds like you have a good plan. I'd keep it low-Eric carb if I were you, both for your blood sugar and not to gain water weight too much, quickly. It's not a race, so just ease into it, see what works and what doesn't for you.

I find tracking helpful, lots of good sites and apps out there.

Relax, rotate, rejoice, as our Kissa says!

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Welcome GrannySmith!

I am another stalled-on-LC female who thrives on JUDDD. It works. Oh, it works. Like Jaymar, I stalled my weight loss a few times by not eating enough on UDs. But, once I figured that out, it was easy to fix.

I encourage you to run a search on 'Johnson Up Down Day', find the 'How To' section, and let it calculate your most probable DD/UD calories (make sure to change kg to pounds and cm to inches).

Not only does JUDDD work for many, many people, but seven months into maintenance I continue the rotations (adjusted up) and staying right where I want to be is unbelievably easy.

Yep, I take Resveratrol and Pterostilbene.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Lynn.
JUDDD is easy once you get the hang of it. I wish you a happy and successful JUDDD journey.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Welcome, Lynn! It's great to have you on board!

I don't have experience with shakes and bars, I *try* to lean more towards real food (paleo/primal). However, I have seen some here say that shakes and bars have stalled them on JUDDD. Maybe others who have experienced this can chime in here.

I know that no matter how you decide to do JUDDD you will make it work for you. It is a wonderful WOE with many health benefits! Happy JUDDDing!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I did my first DD with a shake, as per Johnson's recommendation. It left a hideous taste of artificial sweeteners in my mouth all day, so I haven't touched one since!
I prefer to use real food.

However, several successful JUDDDers use bars and shakes. We're all different and you've to find what works for your individual body and your lifestyle.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
GrannySmith! Sounds like you have an excellent plan and are going to do wonderfully! How was your first night?
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
GrannySmith! Sounds like you have an excellent plan and are going to do wonderfully! How was your first night?
Ok Melinda, where did you get the fancy "Welcome" sign! Just had to be original right? lol I have seen others post things I don't have in my little window, but I have no idea where to find the cute stuff, or how to get it on the screen. Probably just as well that I don't know where to find it otherwise I'd be posting pictures and words that have nothing to do with what I was replying too. haha
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Grannysmith!!!! You're going to love JUDDD!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
I did my first DD with a shake, as per Johnson's recommendation. It left a hideous taste of artificial sweeteners in my mouth all day, so I haven't touched one since!
I prefer to use real food.

However, several successful JUDDDers use bars and shakes. We're all different and you've to find what works for your individual body and your lifestyle.
They definitely aren't great...but i have a few cases around to use up, and I haven't counted calories in 30 years, so it's a bit of an adjustment...like figuring out the calories for eggs and toast...and realizing the butter is another 100 kcal
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Welcome GrannySmith!

I am another stalled-on-LC female who thrives on JUDDD. It works. Oh, it works. Like Jaymar, I stalled my weight loss a few times by not eating enough on UDs. But, once I figured that out, it was easy to fix.

I encourage you to run a search on 'Johnson Up Down Day', find the 'How To' section, and let it calculate your most probable DD/UD calories (make sure to change kg to pounds and cm to inches).

Not only does JUDDD work for many, many people, but seven months into maintenance I continue the rotations (adjusted up) and staying right where I want to be is unbelievably easy.

Yep, I take Resveratrol and Pterostilbene.
I ran the numbers, my DD is only 394...why bother eating? I always say, if i could eat 1/2 cup of anything I wouldn't be fat!

So I haven't had anything yet, doing ok...i'll wait til the usual time, 2 or 3pm...but I'm enjoying figuring out what to eat tomorrow Not so much trying to reprogram my brain from carbs to kcals!

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes! You guys are great!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Making the mental transition from LC to JUDDD and carb counting to calorie counting is ! Even now, I still always have that "carb mentality" when I go to eat something carby. A tiny moment of panic and then "Oh yeah, I can have that!"
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
LCG, I know exactly what you mean...but for me it's good to think about how carbs and protein make me feel...for a few dd's I would eat some carby stuff and then when I was starving, I didn't get it...... for me..the protein keeps me from being so hungry..so now on dd's I get as much protein as I can for the calories allowed.,
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Yep Jaymar, I'm with you on the carbs. Although I do eat them more than I have in a loooooong time, I feel so much better lower carb. And I'm much less hungry. DDs revolve around fat and protein for me, as much as possible. Isn't this just the best WOE ever???
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Welcome - as you can already see this is a great, supportive group! It (almost) makes the dieting enjoyable all by itself!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Hi, Grannysmith!

I do primal low-carb, which works very well for me...when I stick to it. That's always the problem, isn't it? I fell into JUDDD by accident(dealing with a medical problem) but I am loving it. Having the extra space on Up Days to go a little wild(I am staying primal low-carb) makes watching my food easier.

I am one who prefers to fast completely on Down Days- it is easier than eating just a little. My doctor wanted me to eat something every day, so I am grudgingly eating ~400 calories on my Down Days. It is a little hard, but got easier after the third DD.

One thing I am really liking about JUDDD is that it seems it will be easy to keep up for the long time it will take me to lose all my weight. Most of us can do ANYTHING for a while-- it is keeping it up that takes the work. With JUDDD, you only have to keep it up for one day. Likewise, many of us are great at STARTING diets. Well, here we get a chance to start every other day. I think it plays to our strengths.

The science about the other benefits- cell renewal, inflammation reduction, life extension- just makes it all better.

Hmmm, I seem to have wandered away from a simple 'welcome'! Glad to have you here!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I like that, Sirtain. A chance to start over every other day!!! So simple, yet so perfect.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Hi, Grannysmith!

I do primal low-carb, which works very well for me...when I stick to it. That's always the problem, isn't it? I fell into JUDDD by accident(dealing with a medical problem) but I am loving it. Having the extra space on Up Days to go a little wild(I am staying primal low-carb) makes watching my food easier.

I am one who prefers to fast completely on Down Days- it is easier than eating just a little. My doctor wanted me to eat something every day, so I am grudgingly eating ~400 calories on my Down Days. It is a little hard, but got easier after the third DD.

One thing I am really liking about JUDDD is that it seems it will be easy to keep up for the long time it will take me to lose all my weight. Most of us can do ANYTHING for a while-- it is keeping it up that takes the work. With JUDDD, you only have to keep it up for one day. Likewise, many of us are great at STARTING diets. Well, here we get a chance to start every other day. I think it plays to our strengths.

The science about the other benefits- cell renewal, inflammation reduction, life extension- just makes it all better.

Hmmm, I seem to have wandered away from a simple 'welcome'! Glad to have you here!
That IS a brilliant line! I haven't really delved into the primal thing, but i don't eat junk food...i'm getting the garden started, in summer i wander around and graze, i also raise free-ranged chickens, i can live on eggs at times...though i rarely butcher any of my birds anymore.

I think i'd do better just fasting, too. If I could eat a little bit of something, i wouldn't be obese in the first place!

I'm having more and more problems with allergies, arthritis and asthma...plus just looking damned dreary and drab and OLD...i'm hopin' for some renewal!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
That IS a brilliant line! I haven't really delved into the primal thing, but i don't eat junk food...i'm getting the garden started, in summer i wander around and graze, i also raise free-ranged chickens, i can live on eggs at times...though i rarely butcher any of my birds anymore.

I think i'd do better just fasting, too. If I could eat a little bit of something, i wouldn't be obese in the first place!

I'm having more and more problems with allergies, arthritis and asthma...plus just looking damned dreary and drab and OLD...i'm hopin' for some renewal!
Well, in a year you will be rejuvenated as I am. I think just the fact that I now eat mostly foods I raise or grow has made a huge difference. Can't beat HB eggs for being filling and at 75 calories they are a bargain on DD's. When I actually started looking at the "junk" that I had been eating I am amazed I am still alive. Back to my roots with raising a steer, a couple of hogs and planting a garden has made a HUGE difference in DH and in me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Granniesmith!
I juddded away 65+ pounds. I've been JUDDDing for 13 months and could not be happier. I have just 2 DDs a week in maintanence but both are under 300 calories, usually less. Most DDs I fast till a small bedtime snack. I have bid time meds that are supposed to be taken with food and I can have trouble sleeping if I'm hungry, but during WLM I easily fell asleep with a 150 calorie bedtime snack. I found low DDs were the key to my success.

I hope you love JUDDD. I can now very honestly say that I joyfully lost 65 pounds dieting every other day. The first 10 pounds I lost on low carb/low cal and I was miserable!
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
And reversed diabetes, Carly! WTG!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Low carb/low cal would be a DRAG! I loves me some veggies, but i gotta have butter...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Low carb/low cal would be a DRAG! I loves me some veggies, but i gotta have butter...
You can have butter every other day!!
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Making the mental transition from LC to JUDDD and carb counting to calorie counting is ! Even now, I still always have that "carb mentality" when I go to eat something carby. A tiny moment of panic and then "Oh yeah, I can have that!"
My words exactly....thanks. and a big to a new JB. It is sure tiring losing and finding all that weight. It's what brought me to this woe and am proud to say...it works.
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

The first day went well...i thought i could tough it out as a fast, but my tummy got reallly grumbly at work, and i hit my emergency smoked almond stash...man, those little buggers have a LOT of calories! Still, I made it though 36 hours on 270 kcals. I could eat now...or not.

I'm planning a carb fest today, but doubt I'll do that often. Just knowing I can have whatever I want seems to take the pressure off, i can maybe reason with my reptile brain!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
My words exactly....thanks. and a big to a new JB. It is sure tiring losing and finding all that weight. It's what brought me to this woe and am proud to say...it works.
THanks! The worst thing about counting calories is that it's mostly counting FAT! I'm sooo not used to that!