Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Snacking - Let's talk

I have noticed that most of you jidders do not snack. You have three square meals. I WANNA BREAK MY SNACK HABIT. I have found myself feeling not satisfied and I just munch. It is always healthy, always LCD, lots of good fats, etc. is it a mental thing? How do I move past this? Any suggestions?
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I follow Richards, "Mastering Leptin", which has helped me eliminate snacking. There are other books about resetting Leptin but I have the Mastering Leptin book so that is what I follow. I always eat breakfast even on DD's and wait at least 6 hours before I have lunch. So basically I eat at 6, 12 and 6. And rarely eat after 7 if I end up having a later dinner. I was never a night eater anyway so that part has been the easiest. DH on the other hand lives in front of the frig after it gets dark.

I think the snack food industry in American has brain washed all of us into thinking we can't live if we don't snack. And of course the snack foods being touted are poor quality nutrition wise. Expensive junk. My opinion anyway.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014

Last edited by adillenal; 04-09-2013 at 06:48 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I ate more volume, gave myself permission to have a salad in mid-afternoon if I felt I needed it, and recited "hunger is not an emergency" until I believed it.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I'm such a snacker, I'd love to break that habit too. But I love having things to munch on.

Adi, I've never heard of that book. I don't even know what leptin is. Off to google it!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I'm such a snacker, I'd love to break that habit too. But I love having things to munch on.

Adi, I've never heard of that book. I don't even know what leptin is. Off to google it!
Here are the rules which are explained in much detail but basically are really easy to follow.
Rule 1: Never eat after dinner. Allow eleven to twelve hours between dinner and breakfast. Never go to bed on a full stomach. Finish eating dinner at least three hours before bed.

Rule 2: Eat three meals a day. Allow five to six hours between meals. Do not snack.

Rule 3: Do not eat large meals. If you are overweight, always try to finish a meal when you are slightly less than full; the full signal will usually catch up in ten to twenty minutes. Eating slowly is important.

Rule 4: Eat a breakfast containing protein.

Rule 5: Reduce the amount of carbohydrates you eat.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I've never really been a snacker. Lately, though, now that I'm in maintenance, I'm finding that I get snacky at night. This is new for me, and was worrying me at first (the fear of the dreaded re-gain!), but I think my body's telling me I need more. I've been giving in to the snacking and going over my calories lately, but I'm not gaining weight. I would like to curb it though, so I'm thinking about just raising my calories and having somewhat bigger meals. This is REALLY hard for me to do, though, not because I can't eat more, but because I'm afraid to. I may have to look into the leptin reset. Hmmm . . . .

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I used to be a big night time snacker, especially when I read (one book could mean a whole can of pringles, all at once ). When I started JUDDD I knew that was something I had to work on, so I slowly cut back my eating window (on both dds and uds). Now I'm done eating by 7pm and I brush my teeth. After doing this for a couple months I've totally broken my night time snacking habit. I do have an afternoon snack at 2- on dds it's a cup of diet hot cocoa and on uds it's usually something sweet. Very rarely do I have a morning snack, but I have 140 calorie granola bars on standby when I do crave something.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I used to be a big night time snacker, especially when I read (one book could mean a whole can of pringles, all at once ). When I started JUDDD I knew that was something I had to work on, so I slowly cut back my eating window (on both dds and uds). Now I'm done eating by 7pm and I brush my teeth. After doing this for a couple months I've totally broken my night time snacking habit. I do have an afternoon snack at 2- on dds it's a cup of diet hot cocoa and on uds it's usually something sweet. Very rarely do I have a morning snack, but I have 140 calorie granola bars on standby when I do crave something.
^this,I like to read and eat too...adds to the enjoyment factor...lolI still like to eat while reading so I go for baby carrots and ranch or flavored sunflower seeds in the shell.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberli33 View Post
^this,I like to read and eat too...adds to the enjoyment factor...lolI still like to eat while reading so I go for baby carrots and ranch or flavored sunflower seeds in the shell.
Ooh, flavored sunflower seeds sound good! I'll have to look for these
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Ooh, flavored sunflower seeds sound good! I'll have to look for these
BBQ or pickle flavor are my favorite but ranch is good as well.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Mastering Leptin was a lifesaver for me too. Before following the Richards' suggestions, I was almost constantly ravenous.
They taught me to always "pin down" carbs with some protein, which made a big difference.
They suggest that if at first it's difficult to leave at least 4 hours between meals, you lengthen the gap a little more each day.
I'm the opposite of Adi though. I usually avoid breakfast and eat later in the day.
Flossyliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I may have to look into the leptin reset. Hmmm . . . .
I think the last 20 years research into leptin is interesting and may eventually have some useful solutions for people.

There are several approaches to regulating or regaining leptin sensitivity and the one that suits people may vary with their motivation, practicalities or the state of their metabolism and blood work.

Adi has given a grand summary of Byron Richard's Mastering Leptin and its principles.

Jack Kruse's leptin reset Rx (on his website which I can't link but there is a non-commercial link to a list of resources and his writings that are very helpful: http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References). Kruse makes some interesting arguments about leptin resistance and common metabolic derangements such as hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's.

The Kruse and Richard's approaches and principles are similar. Kruse advocates 50-75g of protein at breakfast rather than Richard's 35g and he suggests counting carbs (25-50g per day) if you're overweight, obese or have fat to lose. They have a difference of opinion about the wisdom of exercising during your leptin reset (crudely, Kruse doesn't approve of it until leptin sensitivity is regained because he believes it prolongs leptin resistance in the muscles).

The Rosedale Diet seems to be more concerned with harnessing the power of leptin for anti-ageing and longevity benefits. It recommends that the majority of calories should be derived from fat and advocates a comparatively modest protein intake. Among the principles, it suggests that it's OK to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.

The programmes are all more alike than they are dissimilar and some of the differences seem like angels dancing on pinheads. If people are interested, it's worth looking to see which is most likely to meet your needs and fit in with your lifestyle.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Mastering Leptin was a lifesaver for me too. Before following the Richards' suggestions, I was almost constantly ravenous.
I'm the opposite of Adi though. I usually avoid breakfast and eat later in the day.
One of Kruse's arguments that attracted my attention was his insistence that people eat a very high protein breakfast in order to forestall hunger until the next scheduled mealtime. However, he said that although this works for people with the usual diurnal variations of cortisol (raised in the morning, lower in the evening), there are some people who have low cortisol in the morning and it's higher at night so their needs are different and a protein breakfast might not be optimal for them.

I'm an erratic sleeper so I always find it difficult to time breakfast.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't push protein at breakfast but I do have eggs everyday and more of them on UD's. They are almost equally fat and protein so eggs work for me. Two eggs every DD for breakfast.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I ate more volume, gave myself permission to have a salad in mid-afternoon if I felt I needed it, and recited "hunger is not an emergency" until I believed it.
This is just what I was going to write. Learn to embrace that 'empty feeling'.

It is a perfectly norma,l healthy feeling. It will do us more good than harm.

It was a bit of a shock to me mentally and physically at first, after years of LC, but it is easy now.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I was never much of a snacker-- maybe 1 after work and before dinner, and sometimes right before bed-- but I've always known that was a bad idea, and tried to eliminate it. Unsuccessfully, but always tried.

On JUDDD, I'm definitely eliminating the nighttime snack. I finish eating at 8 or 9pm latest, and then I might have tea (Tip #1: tea) at the most.

When I first started, I had some nights where I could *not* get to sleep without a snack, so I had it. 1 turkey pepperette for 50 cals, or a piece of laughing cow for 25, like that.
And not just on DDs, but UDs too-- I really think cutting out before bed (or middle of the night) eating is KEY to my getting anywhere with weight loss.

Tip 2: go for bulk. I agree with Nancy above-- bulk up so each meal is more filling. And fiber takes a while to digest, so you'll feel full longer.

I'm not filling up with carbs though-- I've gone though some popcorn or pasta phases, enjoying my newfound freedom on JUDDD, but in the end, I do better with low-er carb stuff, so I'm back to cabbage stirfries, tofu shirataki noodles, a whole bag of steamed broccoli

I think that over time, your tastes change. I don't believe that your stomach "shrinks" b/c that's not physiologically possible, but you can reset your fullness setpoint.

Ok, so, to summarize, my tips:

Bulk up with LC veggies at each meal.
Indulge in some tea between meals if you need something. Drink lots of fluids overall
Remember-- hunger is not an emergency. If you wait 20 minutes, have some water/tea, and get involved in an activity, you'll find it goes away

Oh-- and brush/floss your teeth before bed. Good for your teeth and you usually won't want to snack!

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I snacked today. I bought these little individual serving bags of chips, different kinds, thinking it would be "better" than eating out of a large bag. No, it's not. I wanted to try every variety. I had three of them, then skipped lunch for a healthy piece of cake and ice cream. I was home today, so it was easier to get off track. When I'm at work, I have my lunch packed (usually) and I stick to it most of the time. Today I felt like I couldn't get full. Only now, after dinner and dessert do I finally feel like I can't eat any more. It's been about an hour since I had anything. I almost feel like it was the "suggestion" of hearing about others saying they felt like they had to eat more because the next day was a DD. I hadn't felt that way until I read about it.

Hope you get the snacking monster under control! I need to do the same.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote