Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chalagurl
Stats: 245/240(16 weeks pregnant)/130
WOE: JUDDD
Question about Potato Hack

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't find any info on any of the threads. Am I allowed artificial sweetener on my potato only days? It says black coffee is okay, but I can't have coffee without Splenda or stevia,
Chalagurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I used liquid splenda in coffee and iced tea, and the occasional diet soda while I did the hack and I lost pretty significantly. I actually had coffee with cream every morning, then waited several hours before I had any potatoes.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalagurl View Post
Am I allowed artificial sweetener on my potato only days? It says black coffee is okay, but I can't have coffee without Splenda or stevia,
Unless you know you're sensitive to it - I don't see why not. A number of people use SF ketchup and similar during the potato hack and that probably has artificial sweeteners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
...I actually had coffee with cream every morning, then waited several hours before I had any potatoes.
Adi does that too, doesn't she? She has coffee with HWC for breakfast on her potato DDs and leaves about 5 or 6 hours until she eats her first potatoes of the day (iirc).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I remember seeing that SF ketchup was allowed, but it didn't even occur to me that it is probably artificially sweetened. Thanks for the info Have either of you done the potato hack? For how long? And kind of results did you get?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Yes, I do coffee with HWC and Splenda for breakfast and then wait 5 or 6 hours to start the cold boiled potatoes. I only do the potato days on DD's though.

I still have a baked potato for at least one of my meals on UD's. I am in maintenance and am trying to lose a few more pounds by doing potato DD;s.

And I use regular Hunt's ketchup without the high fructose corn syrup but with regular sugar.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I did the hack for 3 days. Well, almost. I made it through to the evening of the 3rd day, feeling fine, losing good. Then around 8pm I suddenly got nauseated. Felt really yucky. Around 10pm I gave up and had a big spoon of peanut butter. A couple of hours later the TMI bathroom stuff started and lasted pretty much all night.

I did this hack after 10 days of having out of town company and eating pretty much whatever. I also had TOM during this time, and was up 9 pounds. During the 3 day hack I lost 5.5 pounds, and then even after going back to regular JUDDD I was down 9.5 pounds on the 7th day. Miraculous for me.

I'll do it again if I need to get weight off fast or am stalled. But I think next time I'll peel my potatoes. I pretty much ate all my peels during the 3 days, and I hear that the peels may be what causes tummy issues.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Have either of you done the potato hack? For how long? And kind of results did you get?
3-30 March so about a 28 day potato hack.

Last day of the PH I had a migraine that lasted just over 40 hours so I'm still carrying water from that which makes it hard to give a definitive loss number. But, I'd been stalled at 150lbs +/- 2.5 lbs for 5 weeks until I did the hack. Last day of the hack, I was 140.6lbs (I think).
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I too tried a several day hack and woke up in the middle of the night and started throwing up potatoes. Anyway, I peeled for awhile, then started eating the skins on the Yukon golds and then gradually on all of them. I now have no problems of any kind so it seems to be a process where the body can start utilizing the resistant starch I guess. I no longer have gas or gastric distress like so many do at the beginning. no problems at all now other than the fact that DH has discovered that there are always cooked Yukon golds in the frig and he has started snacking on them.

Here is a link to my Maintenance Potato experiment.
My MAINTENANCE Potato DD Experiment
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/153/139 JUDDD 07/28/14

Last edited by adillenal; 04-04-2013 at 02:43 PM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I did the hack for 3 days. Well, almost. I made it through to the evening of the 3rd day, feeling fine, losing good. Then around 8pm I suddenly got nauseated. Felt really yucky. Around 10pm I gave up and had a big spoon of peanut butter. A couple of hours later the TMI bathroom stuff started and lasted pretty much all night.

But I think next time I'll peel my potatoes. I pretty much ate all my peels during the 3 days, and I hear that the peels may be what causes tummy issues.
Agreed on the gut issues, it's why I had to introduce rice on day 5 or thereafter. My losses might perhaps have been greater had I stuck just with the potato but I couldn't have continued the PH without replacing some of the potato with rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I too tried a several day hack and woke up in the middle of the night and started throwing up potatoes....I now have no problems of any kind so it seems to be a process where the body can start utilizing the resistant starch I guess. I no longer have gas or gastric distress like so many do at the beginning. no problems at all now other than the fact that DH has discovered that there are always cooked Yukon golds in the frig and he has started snacking on them.
Yes, either the peels, the resistant starch or both. It's good to see that in your experience the problems die away.

It's very sweet to read that about your DH

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-04-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I did this hack after 10 days of having out of town company and eating pretty much whatever. I also had TOM during this time, and was up 9 pounds. During the 3 day hack I lost 5.5 pounds, and then even after going back to regular JUDDD I was down 9.5 pounds on the 7th day. Miraculous for me.
When I was reading one of the potato hack threads, someone said something about how the weight loss can come shortly after you start eating normal again. That is a lot of weight in a short amount of time! Amazing!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
3-30 March so about a 28 day potato hack.

Last day of the PH I had a migraine that lasted just over 40 hours so I'm still carrying water from that which makes it hard to give a definitive loss number. But, I'd been stalled at 150lbs +/- 2.5 lbs for 5 weeks until I did the hack. Last day of the hack, I was 140.6lbs (I think).
Wow that's a long time of potatoes only! I don't think I would have the discipline for that, but great job! And 10 lbs in 28 days is great, I would die for that!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I'm on my second day, and I'm starting to have some stomach issues already, I think I should avoid the peels as well...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
When I was reading one of the potato hack threads, someone said something about how the weight loss can come shortly after you start eating normal again. That is a lot of weight in a short amount of time! Amazing!
I think Sunday (I think it was Sunday who said that) meant that the weight loss can be ongoing slightly after you start eating normally again. Contrary to that, Otzi says he gains slightly when he starts eating again. I quit my 7 day hack on Easter Sunday so almost a week later I'm actually just now re-stabilizing at my lowest hack weight, having bounced about 2# up and now doing the up and down that come with JUDDD. I'm still pleased, however, with the losses averaging 0.8#/day for the 7 days.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote