Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD on PBS (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/801329-juddd-pbs.html)

SchoolPsych1979 04-04-2013 09:04 AM

JUDDD on PBS
 
Did any of you watch PBS last night? Michael Mosley did a documentary on alternate day fasting and 5:2. I thought of JUDDD and it was a great documentary.

LoCarbGal 04-04-2013 09:30 AM

I've seen it online before, but I DVR'd it last night so I could keep it and watch it whenever I wanted. You know how you see/hear different things each time you watch? Plus, when my motivation is flagging, watching something like this will boost me. I'm so glad it's getting lots of attention!

JMBM 04-04-2013 09:34 AM

Awesome program!:high5: Wish I would've recorded it! Someone said the entire program could be watched online. I may buy the book just to have to refer to from time to time. IF rocks!:sing:

SchoolPsych1979 04-04-2013 09:42 AM

I'm low carbing right now but hitting a wall. After I watched that.documentary it kind of convinced me to go JUDDD. I dvrd it too. I was writing some reports so.I'm sure I missed some stuff. The documentary didn't mention calories on up days. Just the calories on down. Do any of you not count you calories on up days and Judy eat whatever you want?

LoCarbGal 04-04-2013 09:46 AM

Some folks don't count at all on UDs, just DDs. Me, I'm a bit type-A so I count everything, every day. My mom is doing this (over a month now) and she doesn't count UDs. She's not losing as fast as me, but doesn't have as much to lose, is older (well, duh) and is still doing 500 cal DDs, so hard to know whether that's the factor or not.

Never Too Late 04-04-2013 09:59 AM

JUDDD on PBS
 
It was the Michael Mosely BBC documentary that inspired me to look up alternate day fasting and that is how I stumbled upon Low Carb Friends/JUDDD just over 2 weeks ago.

When I saw the documentary, I was astonished at the health enhancing ramifications of a calorie restricted diet and the potential for extending our lives.

As an insulin resistant post-menopausal woman, I am hoping that this WOE will prevent me from sliding into diabetes, heart disease, or other illness in addition to helping me lose weight and become a more lively and happy 56 year-old.

SlimNana 04-04-2013 10:03 AM

Eat, Fast and Live Longer with Michael Mosley on PBS

SchoolPsych1979 04-04-2013 10:05 AM

I considered JUDDD about a year ago but was in denial LOL and then the 8 hour diet came out, and then the Fast Diet. And then I was like, I think there could be something to this WOE this is not gimmicky. And esp with all the research coming out, it's astonishing!

lisamt 04-04-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16354444)
I'm low carbing right now but hitting a wall. After I watched that.documentary it kind of convinced me to go JUDDD. I dvrd it too. I was writing some reports so.I'm sure I missed some stuff. The documentary didn't mention calories on up days. Just the calories on down. Do any of you not count you calories on up days and Judy eat whatever you want?

I think for people starting out with a lot of weight to lose, counting calories on up days is probably necessary. I know I didn't get to be obese by eating normal amounts of food.

I'm doing LCHF right now but am thinking of switching to alternate day fasting. I'll probably continue the LC part to control cravings.

mom23kids 04-04-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16354444)
I'm low carbing right now but hitting a wall. After I watched that.documentary it kind of convinced me to go JUDDD. I dvrd it too. I was writing some reports so.I'm sure I missed some stuff. The documentary didn't mention calories on up days. Just the calories on down. Do any of you not count you calories on up days and Judy eat whatever you want?

I did'nt count calories on my uds while doing JUDDD and I still don't count calories on my regular eating days, now that I'm doing a modified version of 5:2 for maintenance (I do one 900ish calorie md on Mondays and one 500-600 calorie dd on Thursdays). Some of us can do this, while others have found they need more structure on their uds. You just have to experiment and see what works for you :)

KeirasMom 04-04-2013 10:46 AM

I counted both UDs and DDs religiously - down to my cups of coffee and SF mints. I can be a bit compulsive, but I think it worked in my favor with nearly 120 pounds gone.

SchoolPsych1979 04-04-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBM (Post 16354414)
Awesome program!:high5: Wish I would've recorded it! Someone said the entire program could be watched online. I may buy the book just to have to refer to from time to time. IF rocks!:sing:

I was looking at your stats. Did you lose all of that weight on JUDDD?

vickismc 04-04-2013 11:25 AM

I am so glad I remembered to watch it! I also had DHusbandtoBe watch it so he'd understand what I am doing. Lots of good info!

I count all of my calories on both UP and DD's I'm a bit Type A that way. :)

Chalagurl 04-04-2013 11:55 AM

Thank you for the link SlimNana! That was an interesting documentary and reinforces why I'm doing JUDDD :)

SlimNana 04-04-2013 12:05 PM

You're Welcome! I added the link to my signature, in case anyone missed it and wants to watch online. :up:

:) Ann

SchoolPsych1979 04-04-2013 12:09 PM

The most interesting thing I took away from the alternate day portion of the documentary, is that when the subjects were on their "re-feed days, as they referred to it", they only at 110% of their daily caloric intake, which the researcher thought they would eat 175%. She had mentioned that the subjects were not hungry and couldn't eat all of their food. Interesting.

SlimNana 04-04-2013 12:14 PM

Dr. Johnson discovered the contrary when doing ADF longer term:

"Most people find when they start the JUDDDD that they continue to eat normally on the UD. That is, they consume the same number of calories they are used to eating because their appetite doesn't increase. However, after around 8-12 weeks there is an adaptation by your hunger mechanism to eat more on the UD.

At that point it is necessary to limit your calories on the UD to whatever your normal daily intake was at the start,

It is absolutely essential when you reach this point to start using a food log recording the number of calories you eat and at what time of day. It is essential to fill it out at the times you eat---do not wait until night time. This self-monitoring is by far the most effective way to be aware of your intake and prevent going over your number.

It is true that if you go over you will not lose weight and if you go under your metabolism will slow because your body is trying to preserve energy.

It is the alternating pattern which prevents the slowing of your metabolism.

Cordially,

James B . Johnson, M.D."

Dr. J. Responded to Questions 4/12.

JMBM 04-04-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16354684)
I was looking at your stats. Did you lose all of that weight on JUDDD?

No, I weighed 159 when I started JUDDD. I had lost from 204 to 159 by eating a calorie restricted diet of 1000 to 1200 calories. But it took forever it seemed to get off. I feel like I've had faster losses with JUDDD. Plus I wasn't technically getting to enjoy things I liked to eat by eating 1200 cals a day. Like JUDDD much better. I did have it posted as 159 as my starting point which I guess with JUDDD that is accurate, however, that's not where my weight loss began and I guess I wanted to show my overall progress. I have a before picture on my profile. Eeek! not too pretty. But I like to look at it from time to time to remind myself of the hard work I had to go through.

jaymar 04-04-2013 10:24 PM

Thanks for posting the link, SlimNana...I missed the first few minutes and would like to watch it all...also, it will be nice to send to friends who don't quite understand how it works since they haven't done it..:)

Mamatomany 04-05-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Never Too Late (Post 16354497)
It was the Michael Mosely BBC documentary that inspired me to look up alternate day fasting and that is how I stumbled upon Low Carb Friends/JUDDD just over 2 weeks ago.

When I saw the documentary, I was astonished at the health enhancing ramifications of a calorie restricted diet and the potential for extending our lives.

As an insulin resistant post-menopausal woman, I am hoping that this WOE will prevent me from sliding into diabetes, heart disease, or other illness in addition to helping me lose weight and become a more lively and happy 56 year-old.

Well..datum you sound just like I did when I started out!

tobelowcarber 04-05-2013 12:53 PM

It was a great documentary. Michael is a very likable guy. My DH really enjoyed the program and today he is having his very first DD. Keeping my fingers crossed that he can do it. I let him have about 700-800 cal on his first DD.

dawnyama 04-05-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBM (Post 16354414)
Awesome program!:high5: Wish I would've recorded it! Someone said the entire program could be watched online. I may buy the book just to have to refer to from time to time. IF rocks!:sing:

I am thinking of getting the book too :up:

theredhead 04-05-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks so much for posting this link! I just watched the whole thing and then forwarded it to several family members. My DH and I have been JUDDDing for maintenance for over a year now and have been wildly successful with it. It's nice to have another resource that validates our lifestyle. I truly feel free and eat what I want on UDs and ALWAYS do my DDs with 600-650 calories. I continue to fit into my size 4s and 6s and feel slim and trim. Not shabby for a 55 year old granny!

This doesn't show much of me because I'm camera-shy, but I was watching my granddaughter discover my neighbor's baby ducklings in the box:
http://m35.photobucket.com/albumview...5.jpg.html?o=0

mom23kids 04-05-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 16357178)
Thanks so much for posting this link! I just watched the whole thing and then forwarded it to several family members. My DH and I have been JUDDDing for maintenance for over a year now and have been wildly successful with it. It's nice to have another resource that validates our lifestyle. I truly feel free and eat what I want on UDs and ALWAYS do my DDs with 600-650 calories. I continue to fit into my size 4s and 6s and feel slim and trim. Not shabby for a 55 year old granny!

This doesn't show much of me because I'm camera-shy, but I was watching my granddaughter discover my neighbor's baby ducklings in the box:
Mobile Photobucket

So glad to here your maintenance is going so well!

dawnyama 04-05-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 16357178)
Thanks so much for posting this link! I just watched the whole thing and then forwarded it to several family members. My DH and I have been JUDDDing for maintenance for over a year now and have been wildly successful with it. It's nice to have another resource that validates our lifestyle. I truly feel free and eat what I want on UDs and ALWAYS do my DDs with 600-650 calories. I continue to fit into my size 4s and 6s and feel slim and trim. Not shabby for a 55 year old granny!

This doesn't show much of me because I'm camera-shy, but I was watching my granddaughter discover my neighbor's baby ducklings in the box:
Mobile Photobucket

:hiya: Lady!!! I was wondering how you were doing :hugs::hugs: Long time no see. Boy she (Charlotte, right?) is getting big. And how cute :love:

theredhead 04-05-2013 07:13 PM

Hi, Dawn :hiya:. I'm glad to see you're still around, too. I don't post much anymore because I stay busy. Yes, my grandbaby is Charlotte, and her mommy is expecting a second baby around Halloween. I'm hoping for another girl...love those sweet little girls!

I love my JUDDD lifestyle. My mom has already emailed me back that she just watched the video and may try the 5:2 plan herself. She and dad have kept their weight down pretty well in recent years, but staying healthy and protecting their brains is so important at their age. (And mine, too!)

dawnyama 04-05-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 16357366)
Hi, Dawn :hiya:. I'm glad to see you're still around, too. I don't post much anymore because I stay busy. Yes, my grandbaby is Charlotte, and her mommy is expecting a second baby around Halloween. I'm hoping for another girl...love those sweet little girls!

I love my JUDDD lifestyle. My mom has already emailed me back that she just watched the video and may try the 5:2 plan herself. She and dad have kept their weight down pretty well in recent years, but staying healthy and protecting their brains is so important at their age. (And mine, too!)

Fantastic news all around. Another baby.....how sweet :love: And your parents doing 5:2---WooHoo!!! I am sure to them it sounds so much easier than JUDDD. At least they can ease into dieting, eh :laugh: Are you still JUDDDing or have you moved onto more of a maintenance plan? 4:3 perhaps? Or 5:2?

theredhead 04-05-2013 07:21 PM

No, I'm still JUDDDing, alternate days. I occasionally will do two UDs in a row if there's an "eating event", such as going out with family, or we're being fed at a gig. As long as I go right back to my alternate days, my weight stays steady.

Never Too Late 04-05-2013 07:24 PM

I forgot to mention, that after a few days of being on JUDDD, I invited my husband to see the documentary. He was blown away and wanted to start alternate day fasting with me. I have lost 5 pounds in about 15 days on JUDDD (pretty good for this ol' lady) -- but I am most proud of my husband. He has lost 16 pounds in just 13 days! We are both in supporting each other in this WOE. He even went out and bought a recumbent bike for us. We're anxious to watch Michael Mosely's program on PBS this coming Wednesday night on exercise. I hope to learn a lot -- I think the subject matter is High Intensity Exercise in a short spurts -- as opposed to spending massive amounts of time doing aerobics or sweating in the gym.

theredhead 04-05-2013 08:23 PM

Having your husband on board makes success so much easier! Congrats on your losses so far. Stick with it and you'll be amazed.

I'm interested in the exercise show, too. It looks like he'll be talking about the style of exercise that Dr. Mercola has been touting for awhile.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 AM.