Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Dear Cindy, my heart goes out to you and your daughter..and of course your daughter's friend's family....I know you couldn't be right there with her, but I know it helped her to talk to you...my daughter lost a close friend a few years ago, the young lady was six months pregnant, and had a little 3 yr old boy..apparently her blood pressure skyrocketed over night, and she passed away suddenly..so sad to lose young people who are loved so much ..I know you and your daughter will miss your friend very much and you will comfort each other thru this.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #212
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Cindy we like a little dirty laundry here. Glad things are a bit better.

Dawn I really love to sleep well.

Hard day here. I was 'in recovery' at the gym after a class I can only describe as insane, when my mobile rang.

It was my lovely daughter, Vicky, known to you as MintQ8, calling from Brisbane. One of her oldest friends has died following surgery for a Gastric Bypass. She had fought infections for over a week, was on a ventilator and was full of antibiotics. But finally, today, her heart failed, and they lost her. She was 45.

We knew her well, her parents are very close to us, fortunately they flew out to Oman to be with her last week. I am really struggling with this loss. She was an artist and such an amazing woman. Sorry, but had to share.
So, so sorry to hear this sad news. How terrible for her family and friends. I feel for you and your daughter, and hope you are able to comfort her as much as possible long distance.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Oh Cindy, I am so terribly sorry to hear about your and your daughter's loss of your dear friend. It is heartbreaking to lose someone like this and I am so sad to hear it. I have wanted to have gastric bypass to help me with my weight, but my DH has been strongly opposed to it. He has felt it carried too many risks with it. His father had had a gastrectomy due to stomach cancer and he saw how tough it was for him to eat. Two good friends of ours have been in and out of the hospital on numerous occasions due to complications from their gastric bypass surgeries that were performed years ago.

This is one of the reasons that I am so happy and so thankful to have found JUDDD. Those of us who have great amounts to lose recognize the special challenges that being significantly obese presents. What's so interesting to me is that JUDDD doesn't care whether you have 15 pounds or 150 pounds to lose...it's just a function of the calorie math. Do the process and stay with it, and you'll accomplish what you set out to do. Isn't that an amazing thing? So many people need to lose, and often the ones with the greatest amounts to lose have the scarcest resources as well. This is another important way that JUDDD differs from essentially every other diet on the planet--- no special foods are required here! No shots! No prescriptions!
Bypass surgery is out of the question for many just from the cost factor alone. I'm actually saving money at the grocery store these days and also saving about $300 month in asthma prescription costs to boot. That's a LOT of shiratki.

May you, your daughter and your friends family find peace with your loss.

Kimmie

Last edited by Kimmietoo; 04-10-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
So sorry Cindy for that family and for all affected. It makes us all sad to hear of this loss.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Please also accept my condolences....so heartbreaking.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 195/190.4/150
WOE: IF; 4:3/5:2
Start Date: November 16, 2014
So sorry Cindy. What a terrible tragedy. I'm sure it's very hard to be so far away when something like this happens.
Lori_:) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
MintQ8 and Cindy, you have a very strong bond that we've seen here often, and I know that insofar as any two can keep in touch over the miles, you two do the very best. Cindy, I'm sure you've already been a comfort. Prayers for the family of this young artist.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I will add my condolences to all involved too.

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Kisses I am so sorry for the loss. I will hold you and your daughter in my prayers.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Oh Kissa, this just breaks my heart. I am sure DD feels your love, as you do hers. It is harder, I think, to feel your child's pain than one's own. Sending so many prayers to both of you this evening.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shepheka
Stats: 130/118/110
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: April 4,2014
Cindy, your kind words have helped me so much. Just know that we all really care so much about you and your family. Sending healing thoughts your way!
shepheka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #222
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Just heartbreaking. Please know that you, Vicky and your friends are in my thoughts and prayers.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #223

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow, you are all so wonderful. What a special place this is, of course I know that anyway, but at a moment like this it is amazing to wake up and be cushioned with your support and kindness. Thank you all so much, it means a lot.

Vicky is doing okay, we just skyped.

I am going to make my DD especially good today.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
It was my lovely daughter, Vicky, known to you as MintQ8, calling from Brisbane. One of her oldest friends has died following surgery for a Gastric Bypass....She was 45.

...I am really struggling with this loss. She was an artist and such an amazing woman...
Condolences to you and your daughter on the loss of such a good friend and talented artist.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Cindy, how sad and such a shock for you and your daughter.
Sending you both
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
This is another important way that JUDDD differs from essentially every other diet on the planet--- no special foods are required here! No shots! No prescriptions!
I think this is one of the reasons that JUDDD has not found widespread attention. No products or companion books to hype and get excited about. It really is a pity.
It is TOO simple.
That's one of the reasons I am so glad to see the attention that 5:2 is getting. I wish there had been more to the book(I would have liked to have seen a nod to Dr, Johnson in the ADF section), but at least people are being introduced to the concept.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I think this is one of the reasons that JUDDD has not found widespread attention. No products or companion books to hype and get excited about. It really is a pity.
It is TOO simple.
That's one of the reasons I am so glad to see the attention that 5:2 is getting. I wish there had been more to the book(I would have liked to have seen a nod to Dr, Johnson in the ADF section), but at least people are being introduced to the concept.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Sirtain and Beverly, I couldn't agree more. Dr Johnson offered a book that was so ahead of its time; remember, his plan had been known on the net as "Johnson's Up Day Down Day" a long time before a publisher finally brought it out in print with the AD name. There was, frankly, very little hype, and a LOT of put-downs and scoffing. I remember coming here to this site and seeing that JUDDDers had put up videos of interviews and debates. You would get your hopes up, but they were NOT complimentary.

In fact you'd see nutritionists or whatever scoffing and and announcing how obvious it was that Alternative Day wasn't healthy and wouldn't work, and how everyone KNEW you should get the same number of calories a day. Sigh. That was 2008, this is 2013. My delight with the success of 5:2 is high, but the idea is basically to change by one the number of down days in Dr. James Johnson's 2008 book's plan.

Of course, a nod has to be given to Ori Hofmekler and The Warrior Diet book circa 2000, for suggesting skipping meals, which was considered just shocking then.

Sorry, I get on a tangent.

Editing to say that a quick browse of amazon shows 5 books with 5:2 in the title, by 5 different authors, all published within 3 months from late November to early March 2013. A Fast Diet cookbook to go along with The Fast Diet book is available by June. Amazing.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 04-11-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #229
Big Yapper!!!!

Whittlin' are you Dr. J in disguise? I hate that he hasn't gotten the recognition he so richly deserves. I consider him the leader on ADF. I'm sure Mosley was first inspired by JUDDD and thought he could come up with a plan that would be more appealing to the masses (read: EASIER), plus he would get most of the credit. Nothing against Dr. M., but still...seems a bit unfair, doesn't it? I am forever thankful for this board for enlightening me about JUDDD, as it is a plan I can follow for the rest of my life.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Good tangent. Good post.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #231

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
In Mosley's defence, he didn't set out to write a diet book. He does a lot of the Horizon style documentaries, using himself as a Guineapig. He was begged to write the book.

I agree that it is sad Dr Johnson doesn't get more recognition. But he could if he wanted now that ADF is so popular, I think he has chosen to bow out so to speak.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I should have made a new post with that edit I did, definitely, lol! There are 5 different authors out there with 5:2 titled books that all came out shortly after the tv documentary, so certainly Dr. Mosley, with his book The Fast Diet, isn't anyone at whom to point a finger - that's what I was trying to say in the edit.

I admire him, he researched well. He was an obvious choice to write a book about his experiences since his documentary was out ahead of all those books, I believe, and everyone knew he had a story to tell that had been in the making a long while.

I don't know why the fact that Dr. Johnson's book exists is being skipped over so much. I was amused at Mosley saying in the documentary that he was in Los Angeles, but not to see anyone so superficial as a plastic surgeon. Ouch! (Dr. Johnson is a plastic surgeon.) I don't think Mosley knew it, frankly - I don't think he would have said that line to the camera if he'd been aware that there was a book by Dr. Johnson, a plastic surgeon, on such a similar topic.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #233
Big Yapper!!!!

Guys, I have to share this recipe. It's so simple and delicious!!! Well, it's frosting. You can use it to ice a cake, cupcakes or just eat a frosting shot like they sell at the bakery now. It's got one main ingredient: coconut milk. Whatever flavor you like can be achieved...I've seen chocolate (the one I made), strawberry and vanilla, but you could try infinite flavors (lemon, anyone?). Here's how you do it:

Open a can of coconut milk (do not shake it before opening) and put in the fridge for 4+ hours (or overnight). It will thicken to a THICK paste (almost like Crisco, or lard). Pour it into a mixing bowl, or spoon it out leaving the watery bit behind (if you prefer a thicker frosting). Add 1/4 c. plus 1 T of cocoa powder, 1/2 t vanilla and sweetener of choice. Whip it with a fork, or beaters and wa-la!!! Healthy frosting!!! Who knew? No dairy and gluten free too. If you want strawberry, use 2-5 ripe strawberries (more will result in a thinner frosting/mousse). I think vanilla is self-explanatory, although the recipe called for a pinch of salt. (while whipping the frosting, if it is too thick to work with, you can add some of the coconut water from the can).

Last edited by Librarygirl; 04-11-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I agree that that is yummo, Cindy. It is very popular with vegans as a non-dairy whipped topping/cake filling/eat off the spoon goodness. Thanks for posting it.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Where are the drooling smilies??? Pray tell just how many calories are in that concoction?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #236
Big Yapper!!!!

790 calories (700 in can of coconut milk, 90 in 5 T of cocoa), if you use AS. I used powdered sugar, so mine is more like 1000. There is at least 8-10 servings in this concoction, although I think I had 3. You could ice a whole pan of cupcakes with it, or a cake. Vanilla, strawberry or lemon would have fewer calories, of course. Not enough to skip chocolate though, if you love it.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 04-11-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shepheka
Stats: 130/118/110
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: April 4,2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Sirtain and Beverly, I couldn't agree more. Dr Johnson offered a book that was so ahead of its time; remember, his plan had been known on the net as "Johnson's Up Day Down Day" a long time before a publisher finally brought it out in print with the AD name. There was, frankly, very little hype, and a LOT of put-downs and scoffing. I remember coming here to this site and seeing that JUDDDers had put up videos of interviews and debates. You would get your hopes up, but they were NOT complimentary.

In fact you'd see nutritionists or whatever scoffing and and announcing how obvious it was that Alternative Day wasn't healthy and wouldn't work, and how everyone KNEW you should get the same number of calories a day. Sigh. That was 2008, this is 2013. My delight with the success of 5:2 is high, but the idea is basically to change by one the number of down days in Dr. James Johnson's 2008 book's plan.

Of course, a nod has to be given to Ori Hofmekler and The Warrior Diet book circa 2000, for suggesting skipping meals, which was considered just shocking then.

Sorry, I get on a tangent.

Editing to say that a quick browse of amazon shows 5 books with 5:2 in the title, by 5 different authors, all published within 3 months from late November to early March 2013. A Fast Diet cookbook to go along with The Fast Diet book is available by June. Amazing.
I couldn't agree with you more. This is the only plan that I have tried in the last 20 years that has made me realize that I can do this. I am in control of my destiny. I wouldn't exactly call it easy but it is doable and I am losing fat not just weight. For me this is a miricle!
shepheka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #238

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Guys, I have to share this recipe. It's so simple and delicious!!! Well, it's frosting. You can use it to ice a cake, cupcakes or just eat a frosting shot like they sell at the bakery now. It's got one main ingredient: coconut milk. Whatever flavor you like can be achieved...I've seen chocolate (the one I made), strawberry and vanilla, but you could try infinite flavors (lemon, anyone?). Here's how you do it:

Open a can of coconut milk (do not shake it before opening) and put in the fridge for 4+ hours (or overnight). It will thicken to a THICK paste (almost like Crisco, or lard). Pour it into a mixing bowl, or spoon it out leaving the watery bit behind (if you prefer a thicker frosting). Add 1/4 c. plus 1 T of cocoa powder, 1/2 t vanilla and sweetener of choice. Whip it with a fork, or beaters and wa-la!!! Healthy frosting!!! Who knew? No dairy and gluten free too. If you want strawberry, use 2-5 ripe strawberries (more will result in a thinner frosting/mousse). I think vanilla is self-explanatory, although the recipe called for a pinch of salt. (while whipping the frosting, if it is too thick to work with, you can add some of the coconut water from the can).
That sounds just heavenly. Frosting shots....really? Can you tell I haven't been to a bakery in like, forever?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
We're going away for the weekend so I'll be away from the weighing scales until Monday which feels a little odd after the hyper-awareness of them for the last 15 weeks or so but may also be a useful respite.

My *big* challenge is not to eat sweets during the car journey. We were in a bad RTA in 2009 and I still hate being in a car, particularly on a wet day (like it is today). I still tense up whenever I see a lorry trying to move out and inside I feel like a jibbering wreck. (Just to reassure you, I'm not the driver - I wouldn't drive feeling the way that I do.) I tend to cope with this by eating something sweet as it calms me down and helps to control the nausea.

I bought some sugar-free sweets to try out but they don't have the same calming effect and I don't like the mouth-feel. At 16kcals each, it feels like far too much for a DD.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #240
Big Yapper!!!!

SS, I hope the car journey is a pleasant surprise for you. I am nervous too sometimes in traffic, and my bf is even moreso lol. I usually drive. Lorries (or is it Lorrys), what we call semi's, are always scary to me! I cannot stand to ride beside one. Be safe and enjoy your weekend!!