Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post

Dawn,
Large bred dogs that grow too fast can have a multitude of bone/joint problems that might not be evident until much later in life. The body is working so fast to lay down bone and cartilage that it "screws up" and then, when she's 2, 3, 4 years old, she has raging arthritis with no good reason for it. Its because she was growing too fast NOW and laid down sub-par cartilage which then breaks down way too fast, and that sets her up for arthritis. You can also get actual bone inflammation that will leave her sore and hurting for months until she outgrows her "growing pains".
So what your vet is trying to do is to cut back her energy and slow down her growth. She will likely end up looking pretty skinny, that's ok. Its good for her in the long run. So even though she's not "overweight" now, that's probably what he's talking about.
Hope the spay went well!!!
I didn't get to speak with the vet directly (DH took her) and so I didn't get to clarify anything with them either. I get what you're saying, and agree with it, but we weren't given any instruction on how to reduce her energy. Like, do we just give her less food? How much less? How much is not enough? That kind of thing is what's driving me bonkers. We have a wonderful vet, and I guess I'm more because DH either didn't ask how we're supposed to accomplish this, or if he was told, he didn't remember. In his defense, he's working on getting his business off the ground and is putting in killer hours and going on very little sleep. Guess I need to call the vet on my lunch time or something.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I didn't get to speak with the vet directly (DH took her) and so I didn't get to clarify anything with them either. I get what you're saying, and agree with it, but we weren't given any instruction on how to reduce her energy. Like, do we just give her less food? How much less? How much is not enough? That kind of thing is what's driving me bonkers. We have a wonderful vet, and I guess I'm more because DH either didn't ask how we're supposed to accomplish this, or if he was told, he didn't remember. In his defense, he's working on getting his business off the ground and is putting in killer hours and going on very little sleep. Guess I need to call the vet on my lunch time or something.
Yah, definitely call & clarify. There are a few different ways to do it, but you're reducing calories to slow down growth. My personal favorite way is to switch to a lower calorie food but there are some other problems that come along with that approach the require monitoring. (I like this because then you're not cutting down on the volume of food, just the calories.) So its best to go with whatever method your vet is comfortable with. Glad her surgery went well!!!
Yennie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/168.5/155
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Adi, thanks....'preciate your ideas on the potato hack. Somehow as a long-term low carber, I find myself shying away from the potatoes, but am intrigued by the idea...and from what I've read, it has good science behind it.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Oh I could have a field day with those two words!!! "I need" you to get off your @$$ and take the trash out. I'm so sorry I couldn't resist. But she's totally right. If they think they are responsible for fixing the problem, or saving the day they seem to look at the situation differently. My DH does anyway. lol Hope I haven't offended anyone. I just know me with my sarcastic nature that's what I would be wanting to say.
Yeah, JM. I feel like the typical nag right now. It didn't end well and I went to bed upset. It didn't keep me awake after I decided to go to sleep, but I don't feel well this morning. I'm very tired of just doing everything rather than going through this. He has a home business and let's just say, he thinks it's going better than it is. There is no room for constant mini-vacations, and if it's not kept up, we don't do well financially. We have the stock, but he seems to think it's fine to "sit" on it, while I'm tearing my hair out wondering how in the world I'm going to make ends meet. He says, just pay the bills you can and don't worry about it. I have never lived like that, and I'm not going to start. At this point, if I could handle it alone, I don't know if I wouldn't just do it alone, if you know what I mean. Anywho, I still kept to my DD numbers yesterday and I'm determined to stick to my goals, whether I'm frustrated in other ways or not.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Men respond to the word, "need" because they understand themselves to be solvers and fixers of problems. Try to phrase your statements with the words, "I need". Think ahead what one sentence you'd like to say, say it clearly but without expectation right then. Men don't respond in the moment the way that women often do, rushing off to accomplish the fix right away. They get back to the problem after ruminating on it. So don't be surprised to have some subject changed the next day to what he's decided to do about your need. It won't be exactly what you wanted, but it may be close. Best wishes.

The above represents stuff I've learned from listening to Dr. John Gray (the Mars and Venus relationship books) and from puzzling over men for years.
That is REALLY good advice. Thank you so much for sharing this. I had a specific incident last night where this played out exactly! The house we moved into in September has a very long front porch. We had existing chairs to put out there, but they do not look right. I found some when shopping yesterday that will look much better. When DH came home, I told him about them and his response initially was that we needed to wait and sell the existing ones first, then get the new ones. (Of course the others most likely will be gone before that happens.) After he relaxed for a bit he came back into the kitchen while I was fixing dinner and told me to go ahead and get the new ones. He just needed a bit of rumination time.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Yeah, JM. I feel like the typical nag right now. It didn't end well and I went to bed upset. It didn't keep me awake after I decided to go to sleep, but I don't feel well this morning. I'm very tired of just doing everything rather than going through this. He has a home business and let's just say, he thinks it's going better than it is. There is no room for constant mini-vacations, and if it's not kept up, we don't do well financially. We have the stock, but he seems to think it's fine to "sit" on it, while I'm tearing my hair out wondering how in the world I'm going to make ends meet. He says, just pay the bills you can and don't worry about it. I have never lived like that, and I'm not going to start. At this point, if I could handle it alone, I don't know if I wouldn't just do it alone, if you know what I mean. Anywho, I still kept to my DD numbers yesterday and I'm determined to stick to my goals, whether I'm frustrated in other ways or not.
Ah relationships! They are a blast aren't they. Me and my DH have been married almost 24 years and it aint been easy just to say the very least. In fact we separated April of 2011 and that's when I started losing weight. I was at 204 and moved in w/ my mom. She cooks really healthy and I was working a very physically demanding job and that's when my initial weight loss began. That's one good thing that came from it. We have since been doing better and we are back together. I wish I could give you all the answers of what to do, but honestly you can do only what "you" can do. I just always try to remember that serenity prayer. Help me change what I can change, and the wisdom to know the difference. Or something along those lines. I guess basically just focus on the things you "can" do and seek the wisdom for the things you cant change. Sending one up for you today LBG!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
Start Date: 4/2/13
Thanks also to Mssarge and Yennie for your warm thoughts and wisdom. I was feeling so very frustrated yesterday. I binged when I got home from work and ended up 3160 cals over daily goal (adds up quick).

Not feeling very proud of myself at the moment. Though, it was certainly not the worst I could do/have done. I do feel grateful that I can discuss this unhealthy behavior openly here with you kind folks. That is something I do not take for granted. It really feels good to get it out.

Well, I made it five days without falling off the JUDDD wagon and that is an improvement. Moving on looking forward

Last edited by DaSHMith; 04-09-2013 at 11:44 AM..
DaSHMith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

You're quite welcome dear.
One of the things that I KNOW for a fact has helped me this time around is being here with the JUDDD buds. It's so nice to have a safe place to talk about our struggles & frustration. Stick around!!
The lovely thing about JUDDD is that its so forgiving! Just jump back in with a DD & you'll be all set!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #189

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Don't worry, Da, tomorrow is another day, you will do fine. Are you weighing daily, or weekly? Some people do take some time to start their weight loss, like Adi. Just look at her wonderful process and keep on keeping on.

Cindy............. men
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #190
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
Beautiful pictures!!!! Lovely!!! My "garden" is a mess of weeds!!! Yikes, how did it get that way, and how am I going to mow it, LOL!

I am so stressed out right now. I was out looking around at the yard, and the weeds...ack!!! Plus, my bills have gotten out of hand and I'm worried to death over paying each month. Bf seems to think it's no problem. Will not discuss it and it causes a screaming argument every single time I bring it up.
Most Men dont do good discussing problems (imo) they either want to fix them or bury them and we all know pretending a problem isnt there is not a solution.Sorry you are going through such a stressful time.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #191
Big Yapper!!!!

I feel better now, and things are a least pleasant. Thanks, JBs. I feel like I have tons of tension in my neck and shoulders, and a massive headache coming on. I guess that's the result of yesterday...a long, hot shower is in order and BED.

I think I overdid it today, calorie wise too. Tomorrow is another day. Whew!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
Thanks also to Mssarge and Yennie for your warm thoughts and wisdom. I was feeling so very frustrated yesterday. I binged when I got home from work and ended up 3160 cals over daily goal (adds up quick).

Not feeling very proud of myself at the moment. Though, it was certainly not the worst I could do/have done. I do feel grateful that I can discuss this unhealthy behavior openly here with you kind folks. That is something I do not take for granted. It really feels good to get it out.

Well, I made it five days without falling off the JUDDD wagon and that is an improvement. Moving on looking forward
no worries, just pick up and move on tomorrow! All will be fine!!!

Quote:
I feel better now, and things are a least pleasant. Thanks, JBs. I feel like I have tons of tension in my neck and shoulders, and a massive headache coming on. I guess that's the result of yesterday...a long, hot shower is in order and BED.

I am glad you feel a bit better today, LG. relationships are such hard work!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Yep, hot showers and a good nights sleep are highly under rated. I love just letting the hot water shower right on my neck for a few minutes. I just stand there and let it hit my neck. Feels soooo good.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
Start Date: 4/2/13
Thank you all for your support and encouragement. It means so much to me!

I did jump back in with a DD today. I made it through a full day at the office staying on track. This tends to be the toughest part of my day.

In addition to my regular 33 oz bottle of Smart Water, this morning, I put three lemon wedges in my 16oz starbucks re-usable drink cup and refilled it six times during the day with hot filtered water. Sipping on the lemon water kept me distracted enough not to think about food. Also helped quite a bit when my stomach started rumbling at 3 PM or abouts. I think I have found a new strategy for staying on track at the office
DaSHMith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Quote:
Speaking from 50 years of marriage, men and women are so different you'd think we were from different planets...men are fixers, women are listeners and huggers and expect things to fix themselves. I found that I had to be very explicit when I brought up topics with the old man...wish he were still around to fix things for me.
Mary, how cool to be able to reference a 50-year marriage. I'm assuming you were widowed, though that may not be right - I was widowed after 22 years, and now married again. We learn so much from spouses in this life, just like we do from our parents and other family. Goodness knows, I'm sure both my husbands learned a lot from me, lol.

Kimmie, so nice that you and dh will be fixing up the front porch with new furniture - sounds like a great spring project. Happy to hear about your WHOOSH this a.m.

deborah, I'm glad you got to watch the program.

Hi to DaSHMith.

Adi, I hope you continue feeling better.

Dawn, how is your patient today?

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!

Last edited by Whitlin'; 04-10-2013 at 04:23 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
Thank you all for your support and encouragement. It means so much to me!

I did jump back in with a DD today. I made it through a full day at the office staying on track. This tends to be the toughest part of my day.

In addition to my regular 33 oz bottle of Smart Water, this morning, I put three lemon wedges in my 16oz starbucks re-usable drink cup and refilled it six times during the day with hot filtered water. Sipping on the lemon water kept me distracted enough not to think about food. Also helped quite a bit when my stomach started rumbling at 3 PM or abouts. I think I have found a new strategy for staying on track at the office
I am bringing a fresh lemon with me to work today. I hope I can use this strategy too!!! Good job!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #197

The patient's back to her chipper self.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The patient's back to her chipper self.

Cindy,
I'm sorry for the relationship & money stress. I hesitated to mention this because sometimes we don't want advice, just an audience, so feel free to take this & ignore if you are not interested.
We'd been married for maybe 2-3 years, off to a rocky start, when hubby took a temp job in another state for 6 months. While he was gone, sure we talked on the phone but also did a lot of email. One of things we discovered was that we actually communicated better about our problems via email. I could take my time to think about how I wanted to say what I wanted to say (and had some time to edit out the 4 letter words ) and it really helped me figure out what my problem was. Then, he had time to respond in his own fashion - ruminate on it and really consider the issues. It certainly helped that we weren't living together at the time too so the minor day-to-day annoyances weren't flaring, as well as the tendency to "get over it" just to get along in the day-to-day. We were actually quite able to work through some stuff that had been plaguing us since before the wedding.
Since then, when there is a real problem, we work it out via email & not necessarily in person. Even living together, its like there is a moratorium on discussing the email topic. For us, it allows space to think & discuss rationally without the emotion coming into it. Plus, I think it also eliminated his ability to call me a crazy, emotional woman because it was in writing. Somehow that validated it for him.
Anyway, long post, sorry, but a thought. Maybe if you could put your thoughts down in writing some how, it might make him "hear" your concerns?
dear friend.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #199
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post

Cindy,
I'm sorry for the relationship & money stress. I hesitated to mention this because sometimes we don't want advice, just an audience, so feel free to take this & ignore if you are not interested.
We'd been married for maybe 2-3 years, off to a rocky start, when hubby took a temp job in another state for 6 months. While he was gone, sure we talked on the phone but also did a lot of email. One of things we discovered was that we actually communicated better about our problems via email. I could take my time to think about how I wanted to say what I wanted to say (and had some time to edit out the 4 letter words ) and it really helped me figure out what my problem was. Then, he had time to respond in his own fashion - ruminate on it and really consider the issues. It certainly helped that we weren't living together at the time too so the minor day-to-day annoyances weren't flaring, as well as the tendency to "get over it" just to get along in the day-to-day. We were actually quite able to work through some stuff that had been plaguing us since before the wedding.
Since then, when there is a real problem, we work it out via email & not necessarily in person. Even living together, its like there is a moratorium on discussing the email topic. For us, it allows space to think & discuss rationally without the emotion coming into it. Plus, I think it also eliminated his ability to call me a crazy, emotional woman because it was in writing. Somehow that validated it for him.
Anyway, long post, sorry, but a thought. Maybe if you could put your thoughts down in writing some how, it might make him "hear" your concerns?
dear friend.
Yennie, I really like that. That sounds like it would be a very effective strategy. I know I could probably communicate better in writing, and he might take everything a little better that way too. I sure do appreciate everyone's advice, and I love that it comes from experience as well! Thank you!!! I would normally not "air my dirty laundry" on a forum. I do hope I haven't made anyone uncomfortable.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deborahlh
Stats: 210/187/145
Quote:
Yennie, I really like that. That sounds like it would be a very effective strategy. I know I could probably communicate better in writing, and he might take everything a little better that way too. I sure do appreciate everyone's advice, and I love that it comes from experience as well! Thank you!!! I would normally not "air my dirty laundry" on a forum. I do hope I haven't made anyone uncomfortable.
We all have our share of "dirty laundry"! Glad you could get it out...we all need to sometimes. I hope you have had some resolution...btw I thought Yennie's advice was excellent (might try it myself when needed!)
Take care sweetie!
deborahlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Yep, hot showers and a good nights sleep are highly under rated. I love just letting the hot water shower right on my neck for a few minutes. I just stand there and let it hit my neck. Feels soooo good.
I slept nearly 9 hours last night! That never happens, and I feel really good today. I also had a whoosh this morning, so it shows how important sleep really is. And I could LIVE in the shower.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #202

Quote:
We've all been there, and understand and support you. I also loved Yennie's advice.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I slept nearly 9 hours last night! That never happens, and I feel really good today. I also had a whoosh this morning, so it shows how important sleep really is. And I could LIVE in the shower.
Yep, and I find them to be key components of getting through some DD's. I have slept pretty good the past few nights (which is odd). But I am very thankful. I feel really good today also. Beautiful day outside so I'm planning on enjoying as much as I can of it! We are suppose to have some really severe weather here tomorrow so we will probably be in our hidey hole from 11 - 3 pm.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #204

Cindy we like a little dirty laundry here. Glad things are a bit better.

Dawn I really love to sleep well.

Hard day here. I was 'in recovery' at the gym after a class I can only describe as insane, when my mobile rang.

It was my lovely daughter, Vicky, known to you as MintQ8, calling from Brisbane. One of her oldest friends has died following surgery for a Gastric Bypass. She had fought infections for over a week, was on a ventilator and was full of antibiotics. But finally, today, her heart failed, and they lost her. She was 45.

We knew her well, her parents are very close to us, fortunately they flew out to Oman to be with her last week. I am really struggling with this loss. She was an artist and such an amazing woman. Sorry, but had to share.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

Hard day here. I was 'in recovery' at the gym after a class I can only describe as insane, when my mobile rang.

It was my lovely daughter, Vicky, known to you as MintQ8, calling from Brisbane. One of her oldest friends has died following surgery for a Gastric Bypass. She had fought infections for over a week, was on a ventilator and was full of antibiotics. But finally, today, her heart failed, and they lost her. She was 45.

We knew her well, her parents are very close to us, fortunately they flew out to Oman to be with her last week. I am really struggling with this loss. She was an artist and such an amazing woman. Sorry, but had to share.
I'm so sorry for the loss of Vicky's friend and your friends' daughter. Please give Vicky hugs for me when you see her next, and you both are in my thoughts.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

So sorry to hear that Cindy. Thoughts and prayers with your family.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #207

This is when I really hate being on the other side of the world from her. Your daughter is always your daughter, whether Kiera's age of Vicky's. I just want to be close to her, she was so distressed. She has the support of a wonderful husband but you only have one mother.

Thank you Dawn for your kindness.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Quote:
This is when I really hate being on the other side of the world from her. Your daughter is always your daughter, whether Kiera's age of Vicky's. I just want to be close to her, she was so distressed. She has the support of a wonderful husband but you only have one mother.

Thank you Dawn for your kindness.
So sad my thoughts are with you, Vicki and her friends family.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy,
You & your daughter are in my thoughts, as well as the family of your lost friend. Please take care.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #210

Thank you all.