Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #511
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Tanya
Sending lots of and
I'm sure there will be some more mourning feelings and then at some point it will start to get easier. It seems like you found a good doctor and that she has been thorough- do you feel that way? Even when I really like and trust my doctor I sometimes get a second opinion when I just want to be sure.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Tanya
Sending lots of and
I'm sure there will be some more mourning feelings and then at some point it will start to get easier. It seems like you found a good doctor and that she has been thorough- do you feel that way? Even when I really like and trust my doctor I sometimes get a second opinion when I just want to be sure.
ty!! I decided that I have to go back in 6 months for another set of tests. I will wait and see what those numbers come back as and go from there if I want a second opinion or not. I still have an appointment on May 2nd about the cholesterol numbers and I will see what he thinks also. From what I am reading I believe she is right based on numbers so far.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #513
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Tanya! I know this must be a hard mental adjustment for you. Your body is way ahead and already doing all the adjusting it wants to. I have to say, after what you posted before and the possibilities, I am just so relieved that this is "normal" girl stuff, albeit early, and not anything immediately life threatening. As for the greater risk of heart disease, stroke, etc, that is definitely scary stuff. But now you know and can manage it better. I'm so glad you found this fantastic doctor!

Keep feeling what you need to feel. How great of your doctor to say it's normal to mourn. Not all of them would concede that patients are whole human beings and not just a mechanical bag of chemicals.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Tanya! I know this must be a hard mental adjustment for you. Your body is way ahead and already doing all the adjusting it wants to. I have to say, after what you posted before and the possibilities, I am just so relieved that this is "normal" girl stuff, albeit early, and not anything immediately life threatening. As for the greater risk of heart disease, stroke, etc, that is definitely scary stuff. But now you know and can manage it better. I'm so glad you found this fantastic doctor!

Keep feeling what you need to feel. How great of your doctor to say it's normal to mourn. Not all of them would concede that patients are whole human beings and not just a mechanical bag of chemicals.
Boy is THAT ever the truth!!!

Huge hugs to you Katie! I am glad you got some answers, even though they are making you sad and worried. It's so much better KNOWING what's going on, then you can be empowered to take control baby!!!! Sending lots of love to you!! Btw, how is that sweet boy of yours recouping?

Good morning JBs!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Btw, how is that sweet boy of yours recouping?

Good morning JBs!!
thank you!! He is getting better!!! lol!! He is no longer walking like a hunchback!! lol!! Getting him in the shower is still hard, its a step up kind. But he has now moved from the couch back to his room! Hes out of school til may 7th though. I have to go pick up his homework tomorrow!! ty for asking!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #516
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Dear Tanya,

I am so sorry for your news. It's always a shock to wrap our heads around something we were not expecting to hear and that we were unprepared to deal with.

While my menopause occured at the average age most women go through it (50), I still found it very difficult to deal with emotionally. I had always wanted children and was not able to have them. I had two ectopic pregnancies and really could not afford the in vitro which was very new and very expensive. While I knew for the last 5 to 10 years of my normal cycle that I would not be a biological mom, the finality of menopause was emotionally painful. The symptoms and side effects weren't fun, either!

Right now you need to give yourself some time to adjust to the news. Be especially kind to yourself right now. Pampering is good!

I am very thankful to have found JUDDD. Turning on our sirtuins is a great way to help with the health issues we face as we age, and you've found out about it before time has much of an opportunity to impact your health. YAY! It will make going through this process easier for you. We have a number of very JUDDD-successful post-meno women here who are cheering us on daily. YAY!

Hugs and love to you!!!!

Kimmie

Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
Dear Tanya,

I am so sorry for your news. It's always a shock to wrap our heads around something we were not expecting to hear and that we were unprepared to deal with.

While my menopause occured at the average age most women go through it (50), I still found it very difficult to deal with emotionally. I had always wanted children and was not able to have them. I had two ectopic pregnancies and really could not afford the in vitro which was very new and very expensive. While I knew for the last 5 to 10 years of my normal cycle that I would not be a biological mom, the finality of menopause was emotionally painful. The symptoms and side effects weren't fun, either!

Right now you need to give yourself some time to adjust to the news. Be especially kind to yourself right now. Pampering is good!

I am very thankful to have found JUDDD. Turning on our sirtuins is a great way to help with the health issues we face as we age, and you've found out about it before time has much of an opportunity to impact your health. YAY! It will make going through this process easier for you. We have a number of very JUDDD-successful post-meno women here who are cheering us on daily. YAY!

Hugs and love to you!!!!

Kimmie

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
ok so I got my test results. Its taken me a while to post because I was and still am trying to come to grips of it all. I have been researching and trying to learn about it but I dont know its all to much.....

I dont have PCOS, or thyroid issues.....I am in premature menopause. I am 38! I dont want more kids, but the idea that that phase of my life is gone at a young age is just confusing now.

My gynie said its like running along and then bam into a wall. She said it all hits hard and fast when its premature. All this time I thought it was my thyroid! They have the same symptoms! She estimates I have been "getting ready" for menopause by my levels for altleast a year or two. She said most women will still have "periods" but they arent really anymore. Its the last ditched effort by your body to keep trying. She said it even though I still bleed from time to time, my blood work confirms its offical.....She said my fibroids are all gone...she said thats when she flipped to the blood work and seen the estrogen levels. She said the fibroids were most likely caused when my body was trying last year to continue normal...thats why everything went nuts and I needed the D&C. But my estrogen is so low that it couldnt feed the fibroids anymore so they shrunk to nothing.

Anyways my estrogen levels are 15 and my FSH is 47. Everything else is normal except for my cholesterol (267) and my blood sugar (5.6) is a concern. I have an appointment May 2 with my general doctor to have those levels looked at and monitored. She said unfortunatly with premature menopause, those levels will raise and will most likely need medicine intervention because diet and exercise alone wont help those numbers. I am now at a greater risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Normal things that go with menopause but because I am going to go less time in life with my estrogen to help me that raises my I better keep a watch of things. I have to go in 6 months for more blood work, but she expects it to be same news. She said once your FSH gets above 30-40 at my age...it doesnt lower. And once your estrogen goes below 25, it normally doesnt raise with out added estrogen. And there isnt anything that will fix it....a pretty much what done is done...

She said its normal to go through a "mourning" period which is been me for last 2 days of just crying at a drop of a hat. I am just shocked and hating me at the moment. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to hear that. She even admitted she didnt expect that either......I am just at a loss of words at the moment. I need to wrap my head around this, then stand tall and live my life. After my "mourning" I guess....

I am going to full steam ahead with JUDDD on monday. Back to my little journal and making the calories count. Not this estimate thing I have been doing. Gosh she did make me feel better when she told me that sudden weight gain was all related to the premature menopause. I was most upset about that. I told her how hard I worked to get below 160 and was running and them boom....weight started creeping and I couldnt lose it, I hit the wall...my body finally realized.....it all makes sense now! I know the losing what I lost in the first place is gonna be a battle but I will succeed...I am not ready to throw in the towel on it! Especially now when it means my health for sure!

Sorry the post was long.....like I said trying to grip everything at the moment.....
I'm sorry Katie. Keep on keepin on! You can do it!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #519
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
I am a veterinarian, NOT an MD. However, my father is an MD and my sister is an OB/Gyn. It is my understanding that the SE's of HRT are much fewer and less severe than the ramifications of early menopause, ie osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, early dementia to name a few. I would do tons of research on this before I made a decision, if I were you. However, I would not discount HRT unless you are certain that this is what you need to do. Premature menopause is not "natural"...our bodies are "supposed" to have sex hormones until the age of 50 or so. I believe the current recommendation is HRT until the age of 52. I wish you the best in whatever you decide!
John 3:16
I am a WHOSOEVER!!!!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

I have to re-test everything including cholesterol and all that in 6 months. At that point I need to decided what to do. She said she expects the FSH levels to be way higher around 60ish, and the estrogen levels to be around 10 by then. I told her I wanted to research this before I made such a huge decision, especially not really knowing much about this. I think in the back of my mind I thought she was crazy. I want to talk about this with my general doctor on thursday too. I have been reading why HRT is important, but I am a CNA and I have worked with HRT patients years back who had horrid reactions, including cancers from it. I know technology has changed since I started care for patients but its still in the back of my mind.

This whole premature menopause is just messed up!! Its not like our mothers menopause thats for sure!! The more I read the more I wonder what the heck!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #521
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krow134 View Post
I have to re-test everything including cholesterol and all that in 6 months. At that point I need to decided what to do. She said she expects the FSH levels to be way higher around 60ish, and the estrogen levels to be around 10 by then. I told her I wanted to research this before I made such a huge decision, especially not really knowing much about this. I think in the back of my mind I thought she was crazy. I want to talk about this with my general doctor on thursday too. I have been reading why HRT is important, but I am a CNA and I have worked with HRT patients years back who had horrid reactions, including cancers from it. I know technology has changed since I started care for patients but its still in the back of my mind.

This whole premature menopause is just messed up!! Its not like our mothers menopause thats for sure!! The more I read the more I wonder what the heck!
Tanya- what happened to your avi and screen name?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Tanya- what happened to your avi and screen name?
Lol! I switched back to my old name that I use on most sites. My pc was giving me problems an I had to do a reinstall. When going to all my favorite sites I realized I had a few different names so I organized into one. Then went to change profile picture and realized all my photos were on a disc and well I was to lazy to go searching. Technology is a pain in rear sometimes!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #523
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krow134 View Post
Lol! I switched back to my old name that I use on most sites. My pc was giving me problems an I had to do a reinstall. When going to all my favorite sites I realized I had a few different names so I organized into one. Then went to change profile picture and realized all my photos were on a disc and well I was to lazy to go searching. Technology is a pain in rear sometimes!
Oh- OK, I was a bit confused... Glad everything is OK.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #524
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
As long as you choose bioidentical hormones and choose estrogen patches, the side effects nowadays are no longer scary. You just don't want your estrogen reaching you through your digestive system and especially liver. Choose estrogen patches, so that it reaches you safely through the bloodstream, and always take progesterone along with estrogen. (progesterone by mouth is fine) One good book to read is The Youth Effect by Ronald Brown, MD, but there are probably many.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #525
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am so hungry today. I could eat a horse. Looks like it will probably be a UUAD, and I'm tired of trying to figure out how to save the day by eating less at the next meal...has only made me hungrier. Oh well.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
Start Date: 4/2/13
Hi JBs!

Taking a moment out to state how grateful I am for this group.

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and find the support exchanged truly remarkarble (wish it wasn't, IFKWIM). I belonged to WW on and off probably a dozen times over the past 25 years and this is truly the best healthy lifestyle group I have ever been a part of. I feel blessed to have found you and think you should know that!
DaSHMith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #527
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
Hi JBs!

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and find the support exchanged truly remarkarble (wish it wasn't, IFKWIM). I belonged to WW on and off probably a dozen times over the past 25 years and this is truly the best healthy lifestyle group I have ever been a part of. I feel blessed to have found you and think you should know that!
definitely know what you mean! The internet is full of miserable, angry, insecure people who make themselves feel better by bringing others down...SOOO the opposite here!
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Yes, a great spot to come!

Beautiful Carly, will you start the May thread?

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #529
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
Hi JBs!

What a lovely message DaSH! I feel exactly the same.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #530
Big Yapper!!!!

I'll start the May thread in the morning!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
I'll start the May thread in the morning!
Many thanks!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I am so hungry today. I could eat a horse.
If you're in the market, I've got one I'm willing to offer up. Since the d*** horse just broke my dog's leg... Luckily he doesn't need surgery but trying to keep the 6 year old Golden Retriever quiet for the next 8 weeks so the splint can work its magic & the broken bones can heal will be oh-so-fun.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #533
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Yennie,

So sorry to hear about your dog. Do you do your own orthopedics or refer? At least the beast had the decency to break something that could be heal without surgery! However, I can imagine a Golden in a splint is quite a joy, tib/fib, I am guessing?! I suppose there is an e-collar involved, as well? I dont envy you! I wish you well!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #534
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyvet View Post
Yennie,

So sorry to hear about your dog. Do you do your own orthopedics or refer? At least the beast had the decency to break something that could be heal without surgery! However, I can imagine a Golden in a splint is quite a joy, tib/fib, I am guessing?! I suppose there is an e-collar involved, as well? I dont envy you! I wish you well!
My dad does the ortho stuff; I'm boarded in internal medicine. But I like soft tissue surgery too. And I also do behavior.
I thought based on the external wounds it would be tib/fib but its actually his metatarsals. No cone as of yet but he's pretty gorked right now...morphine is our friend.
I'm hoping to avoid the cone of shame. We'll see how he does. Whether we pinned it or splinted it, its still going to be weeks of agony & suffering in our attempts to keep him quiet enough to heal.
For some reason the picture isn't very clear but its a photo of the computer screen so maybe that's why. It looked better on my phone than it does here. You can see it though, proximal metatarsals but not displaced so that's good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walnuts fracture.jpg (15.1 KB, 4 views)

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
...horse just broke my dog's leg... Luckily he doesn't need surgery
Life with gallumping great animals and smaller beasts, eh?

I hope that your dog is as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.

Did you ever read all the dog posts/cartoons on the blog, Hyperbole and a Half? They make dog owners everywhere both laugh and sob.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #536
Big Yapper!!!!

Yennie- I hope your dog is feeling better and I'm glad he doesn't need that shameful cone.

Continue the discussion her May Daily Chat Thread